Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Finally got my Saints Row spot from Spotify. Just in time for it to be out of date!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Here's me recording in my living room with an SM58 for the first time... gave that Somerset Hills copy a shot. Feedback appreciated, as well as other things to read. To warm up I just recorded myself reading some of the longer posts in this thread, I recommend it! I might take a shot at it in my embarrassing "southern" accent.

A different take

And another

pzy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 24, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I went ahead and submitted my spots for the clinic, and the clinic's Director seemed very pleased (which felt great). I was hoping to get some opinions on them from you guys before turning them in, but the thread does move a little slow and I was up against our agreed upon deadline.

She (and I) both prefer the spot with the backing music. Since I recorded it as a demo, that music is not free and was used without permission. Is the backing music something that the production studio usually provides, or is that something I am expected to handle myself?

pzy posted:

Here's me recording in my living room with an SM58 for the first time... gave that Somerset Hills copy a shot. Feedback appreciated, as well as other things to read. To warm up I just recorded myself reading some of the longer posts in this thread, I recommend it! I might take a shot at it in my embarrassing "southern" accent.

I am not a pro, so take this with a grain of salt.

On your first spot, your words were running together at the end.

For the second one, I found myself wondering where your accent is from - you were dropping some r's.

Overall, I think you did a nice job for your first time. I thought that through most of the reading you were doing a good job of sounding dynamic without being cheesy, but other parts of the reads were kind of boring and flat. It probably doesn't help that we all know that spot (with minor variations) by heart. However, as it's been said before it has EVERYTHING that's likely to trip up new voice talent, so it will probably remain.

E:

JossiRossi posted:

Speaking of projects, I'd really like to work on a :siren:GOON PROJECT:siren: if anyone else is interested. I've done audio dramas before but want to work on something with all you so we can just get out an show people what we are capable, with the intent of tossing it into GBS and to give all of us some reel material and what not.

YESSSSSSSSSS.

I propose an episode of the 60's Batman TV show, radio-drama style. Can anyone do a good Adam West?

E2: I can do a pretty good Superfriends style "MEANWHILE ..."

titties fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 26, 2013

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

titties posted:

I went ahead and submitted my spots for the clinic, and the clinic's Director seemed very pleased (which felt great). I was hoping to get some opinions on them from you guys before turning them in, but the thread does move a little slow and I was up against our agreed upon deadline.

She (and I) both prefer the spot with the backing music. Since I recorded it as a demo, that music is not free and was used without permission. Is the backing music something that the production studio usually provides, or is that something I am expected to handle myself?

If you were hired directly by the client and there aren't any middlemen/steps in between you and the client through which your recordings pass, then it's most likely the case that you're expected to handle all post-production (music, sound effects, editing, mixing, etc.) as well, as the client is expecting a finished product from you. However, if you're recording dry audio to send to them to work with, that's something a production team/facility/person should handle.

That being said, Kevin Macleod is now your new best friend. His website (http://www.incompetech.com) is one of the single best resources out there for royalty-free music that's actually good. AND it's free*. I know I've heard pieces VERY similar in style to the one you used in the demo, so poke around there for a bit and see what you find. Look for pieces labeled "uplifting" and/or "bright"; I think the first in particular will yield results that are close to the sound you want.

*He does ask for licensing fees and/or donations depending on the project/piece(s)/usage, which you should be eagerly sending him because the resource he is providing for creative professionals is definitely worth at LEAST what he asks.

Will you be rerecording this, or is this the final version? I wasn't able to listen to your demos for the project until just now unfortunately, but if you will be able to rerecord before submitting the final version I'd be happy to work with you briefly over Skype to help you get closer to the sound you want. If not, don't sweat it--they sound absolutely fine and are really good work for your first professional recordings. And the client likes them, which is arguably the most important thing.

titties
May 10, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

If you were hired directly by the client and there aren't any middlemen/steps in between you and the client through which your recordings pass, then it's most likely the case that you're expected to handle all post-production (music, sound effects, editing, mixing, etc.) as well, as the client is expecting a finished product from you. However, if you're recording dry audio to send to them to work with, that's something a production team/facility/person should handle ... Will you be rerecording this, or is this the final version?

I wasn't so much hired as I was willing to do the spots as a donation. They're a non-profit that I did some marketing work for as part of a student consulting team.

The client is provided studio time, so I'll be going in to re-record it in the studio. I did those recordings so that she had something to present to the executive board, and also because I figured it would be better than just sending her the copy I'd written. As far as I know their previous commercials were actually voiced by the client and everything else was handled by the studio, but I don't know if they had music or anything since she doesn't have copies.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose I should just ask her if the spots had music and who provided it.

blinkeve1826 posted:

That being said, Kevin Macleod is now your new best friend. His website (http://www.incompetech.com) is one of the single best resources out there for royalty-free music that's actually good. AND it's free*. I know I've heard pieces VERY similar in style to the one you used in the demo, so poke around there for a bit and see what you find. Look for pieces labeled "uplifting" and/or "bright"; I think the first in particular will yield results that are close to the sound you want.

*He does ask for licensing fees and/or donations depending on the project/piece(s)/usage, which you should be eagerly sending him because the resource he is providing for creative professionals is definitely worth at LEAST what he asks.

This is awesome, thank you!

blinkeve1826 posted:

I wasn't able to listen to your demos for the project until just now unfortunately, but if you will be able to rerecord before submitting the final version I'd be happy to work with you briefly over Skype to help you get closer to the sound you want. If not, don't sweat it--they sound absolutely fine and are really good work for your first professional recordings. And the client likes them, which is arguably the most important thing.

I appreciate the offer and I might take you up on it. I realize that you and most of the pros in the thread actually get paid for stuff like this, so I don't want to monopolize more of your time.

My thing is that I do A LOT of takes - about 20 per recording, and I don't know how willing they will be to work with me on really refining the read.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

pzy posted:

Popping your P's but as for speech: "Neighborhood of Summerset Hills" starts out like you're asking a question. It should be informative, a statement. "Third phase of building" doesn't end solid; you sound surprised at the fact. You need enunciation on your T's. "Move into ya dream home befo da firs snow faaaaaa" is terrible. Keep it clear. "Saturday/Sunday 12-4" a bit too fast; you want to make sure they know when. Closer is weakish but not terrible.

I suggest you slow everything down (assume the commercial is meant for 1min) and work on your enunciation. I didn't critique the others because this is the most natural one and therefore the only one that matters.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
A marching band I'm working with had an idea for a narration over their show music. It isn't something we're positive about using so I thought it would be a good idea to post it here. Anyone want to give this one a shot so we can see how it works with our show music? That would be awesome!

It is a bit of an Edgar Allen Poe work and we're looking for it to be on the dark and dreary side.

No pestilence had ever been so fatal or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and its seal- the redness and horror of blood.

But the Prince Prospero retired to the deep seclusion of one of his castellated abbeys. And while the pestilence raged most furiously abroad, the Prince Prospero entertained a thousand of his friends at a grand ball.

Of the rooms in which it was held, there were seven- the eastern extremity, in blue, the second chamber was purple, the third was green, the fourth was furnished and lighted with orange, the fifth with white, and the sixth with violet. The seventh apartment was closely shrouded in black.

When there commenced the sounding of midnight upon the clock, the crowd became aware of a masked figure, tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave.

And now was acknowledged the presence of Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night and one by one dropped the revelers. And Darkness and Decay and Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gave it a shot.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

A marching band I'm working with had an idea for a narration over their show music. It isn't something we're positive about using so I thought it would be a good idea to post it here. Anyone want to give this one a shot so we can see how it works with our show music? That would be awesome!

It is a bit of an Edgar Allen Poe work and we're looking for it to be on the dark and dreary side.

One of my students would be greeeeeaaat for this. I passed it along to him and he was very interested; I'll post his recording here when I get it from him.

(Unless he can get in touch with you directly somehow? If so, shoot me an email - melanie at listentomelanie.com - and let me know. :))

titties
May 10, 2012

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

Here's my take:

If you decide to use it, all I ask in return is referrals to the thread.

E: Listening to it again, I think this is one of my best reads ever, but the line "When there commenced the sounding of midnight upon the clock ..." is real lovely. If you like the rest of the recording I can try to re-record that line and shoehorn it in.

titties fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 29, 2013

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
Voice acting has always been something I've wanted to do or at least try. I guess I can do 'funny' voices, but then again who can't? However, I think my natural voice is pretty decent. I've had people, online and off, tell me that my voice would be good for voice-overs, and this has piqued my curiosity even more.

So I've cobbled together a demo-reel in audacity. If any of you guys think it's adequate, I might get a professional one made when I can scrounge up the money.

Name: ZeBourgeoisie or Morgie.
Specialties: A little too early for me to decide personally. If I had to choose I would say 'average american schmuck' and 'stereotypical gay' sounding voices.
Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Morgie
Demo reel:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

I'll give it a go. If nothing else, practice is practice!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The RPG I'm doing the main voice for just went live with their crowdfunding campaign today. Feel free to critique my pitch video VO (I'm not terribly happy with it):

http://igg.me/at/LordsOfXulima/x/2770289

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128219358

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

The RPG I'm doing the main voice for just went live with their crowdfunding campaign today. Feel free to critique my pitch video VO (I'm not terribly happy with it):

http://igg.me/at/LordsOfXulima/x/2770289

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128219358

Well, dramatically your delivery is fine, but you sound like you're straining somehow to reach both voices, even though the latter sound like it's fairly close to your natural voice, if not exactly it. Were you super hunched over or really tense in your shoulders/neck while doing this, particularly the deeper voice in the beginning? For that part in particular, you sound as though you're "reaching down" to make your voice lower instead of actually being in the character. You need to settle down into that part of your range instead of reaching down to it, which is how it sounds in that video.

Granted to most people this will sound absolutely fine, and it's just people like us who will hear anything off :) If you make those adjustments, though, you'll probably be happier with how it sounds and how it feels. It's the kind of thing that people in general would like better after you've made those adjustments, but not know exactly why.

How did you come to work on the project? Good luck with the campaign!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Well, dramatically your delivery is fine, but you sound like you're straining somehow to reach both voices, even though the latter sound like it's fairly close to your natural voice, if not exactly it. Were you super hunched over or really tense in your shoulders/neck while doing this, particularly the deeper voice in the beginning? For that part in particular, you sound as though you're "reaching down" to make your voice lower instead of actually being in the character. You need to settle down into that part of your range instead of reaching down to it, which is how it sounds in that video.

Granted to most people this will sound absolutely fine, and it's just people like us who will hear anything off :) If you make those adjustments, though, you'll probably be happier with how it sounds and how it feels. It's the kind of thing that people in general would like better after you've made those adjustments, but not know exactly why.

How did you come to work on the project? Good luck with the campaign!

For the the actual trailer VO (the beginning), they artificially lowered my pitch. This was the recording I actually sent off:

I think it lost a bit of deliberate, subtle "weathering" I went for when they put it through the pitch altering process but I asked a friend to compare the two and he said the lower one "sounded more epic" so eh whatever. For the actual pitch video informational part, I was battling with outside traffic noise and only had a couple hours. I'm excited to move into a silent place come December so I can hit audiobooks hard but man, I'm just so much more comfortable doing character voices.

I saw the game pop up somewhere on Greenlight a long time ago, really liked what I saw, and directly offered my services. Thanks for the critique!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 16, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

WarpedNaba posted:

Gave it a shot.
I thought about giving this a shot myself, but this is exactly how it should sound. Great reading.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What is it about old cartoon openings that make me wanna speak at things?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I gave this an honest shot!

I love the narration in the intro of the 1938 War of the Worlds radio broadcast, so I decided to read it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I gave this an honest shot!

I love the narration in the intro of the 1938 War of the Worlds radio broadcast, so I decided to read it.
Hi there, thank you for taking the dive and recording something. Here are my impressions as a enthusiastic amateur.

There are some odd pauses and linkages between different phrases that really stuck out to my ear. Start with the first sentence. You pack a LOT of text into one breath and by the end you've lost all the air in your lungs and are right on the edge of straining out the last few words. Listen to Orson, he splits it up into several complete phrases that can stand on their own while giving himself natural pauses for breath. The only one where he really hammers out a mouthful of text is the microscope line.

This is what his read looks like, each line being a natural break for breath:

quote:

We know now that in the early years of the 20th century
this world was being watched closely by intelligences
greater than man's
yet as mortal as his own.

We know now that as human beings busied themselves about their various concerns
they were scrutinized and studied.
Perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutizine the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

See how he keeps to fairly short sentences so that he can wrap his lips around each word and lovingly deliver it into the mic?

There were some pops and icky noise in the upper end that's equipment related. Cleaning that up will depend on what kind of microphone and recording setup you're using.

Finally, what is the emotion of the scene? What are you trying to convey with the words? Should I be afraid of these vast, cool intelligences that are surveying me? That's where the acting part comes in. Trying to convey emotional tone is very very hard but that's basically the job of a voice actor. Orson varies the speed of his delivery to keep folks interested in the text of his story. He pitches up and down a bit though the delivery is fairly even throughout. Finally, his diction - the clarity of his words - is impeccable. Hey, come on, it's Orson Welles.

Things to try for your next reading - clean up your equipment so there aren't any distracting pops or glitches. Slow down a bit so that every word you say is clear. Consider marking up the text so that you know where you'll take your next breath. Read the line out loud - is it a complete English thought? It doesn't have to be a whole sentence, but it should be understandable on its own. Then re-record and see if you like that take better than your first.

It's great that you love War of the Worlds, that's a classic and getting familiar with the classics and how folks from the golden age of radio plied their trade is an excellent thing. At least, I think so. :) For loads of examples, check out: http://www.relicradio.com/otr/show/horror/ Any of the relic radio shows will do but I happen to like the spooOoOoOky stories best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Hi there, thank you for taking the dive and recording something. Here are my impressions as a enthusiastic amateur.

There are some odd pauses and linkages between different phrases that really stuck out to my ear. Start with the first sentence. You pack a LOT of text into one breath and by the end you've lost all the air in your lungs and are right on the edge of straining out the last few words. Listen to Orson, he splits it up into several complete phrases that can stand on their own while giving himself natural pauses for breath. The only one where he really hammers out a mouthful of text is the microscope line.

This is what his read looks like, each line being a natural break for breath:

See how he keeps to fairly short sentences so that he can wrap his lips around each word and lovingly deliver it into the mic?

There were some pops and icky noise in the upper end that's equipment related. Cleaning that up will depend on what kind of microphone and recording setup you're using.

Finally, what is the emotion of the scene? What are you trying to convey with the words? Should I be afraid of these vast, cool intelligences that are surveying me? That's where the acting part comes in. Trying to convey emotional tone is very very hard but that's basically the job of a voice actor. Orson varies the speed of his delivery to keep folks interested in the text of his story. He pitches up and down a bit though the delivery is fairly even throughout. Finally, his diction - the clarity of his words - is impeccable. Hey, come on, it's Orson Welles.

Things to try for your next reading - clean up your equipment so there aren't any distracting pops or glitches. Slow down a bit so that every word you say is clear. Consider marking up the text so that you know where you'll take your next breath. Read the line out loud - is it a complete English thought? It doesn't have to be a whole sentence, but it should be understandable on its own. Then re-record and see if you like that take better than your first.

It's great that you love War of the Worlds, that's a classic and getting familiar with the classics and how folks from the golden age of radio plied their trade is an excellent thing. At least, I think so. :) For loads of examples, check out: http://www.relicradio.com/otr/show/horror/ Any of the relic radio shows will do but I happen to like the spooOoOoOky stories best.

Thanks for taking the time to write this! It's nice to get some feedback and directions so I know what to do to improve. I'll definitely try out those tips about pausing for breath, I could certainly feel it as I spoke. --As for my equipment I just used my regular gaming headphones to record this, as I'm only a poor student and I haven't gotten the money yet to buy a real microphone.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Thanks for taking the time to write this! It's nice to get some feedback and directions so I know what to do to improve. I'll definitely try out those tips about pausing for breath, I could certainly feel it as I spoke. --As for my equipment I just used my regular gaming headphones to record this, as I'm only a poor student and I haven't gotten the money yet to buy a real microphone.

Turn your record volume down a bit. It sounds like you're peaking and making some ugly noises. If your gaming headset doesn't have a pop filter (foam covering over the mic) then move it so it's bent out a bit from your mouth and try recording again. I used to get solid results from a cheap cyber acoustics headset so I know they can do okay. Still, it won't ever beat out a real microphone setup for quality and clarity.

Next thing to try is making a little reading zone. Stand up and put your copy on a stand. If you have a music stand from some long-forgotten violin lessons then hooray! Use that! Otherwise just put your laptop or iDevice or whatever on a bookshelf, stand up and re-record. You'll feel a definite difference in how your lungs react and having the option to move around a bit will change your performance. Try it and see if you don't notice an improvement.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Turn your record volume down a bit. It sounds like you're peaking and making some ugly noises. If your gaming headset doesn't have a pop filter (foam covering over the mic) then move it so it's bent out a bit from your mouth and try recording again. I used to get solid results from a cheap cyber acoustics headset so I know they can do okay. Still, it won't ever beat out a real microphone setup for quality and clarity.

Next thing to try is making a little reading zone. Stand up and put your copy on a stand. If you have a music stand from some long-forgotten violin lessons then hooray! Use that! Otherwise just put your laptop or iDevice or whatever on a bookshelf, stand up and re-record. You'll feel a definite difference in how your lungs react and having the option to move around a bit will change your performance. Try it and see if you don't notice an improvement.

I actually was standing while I recorded this. Placed my laptop on the dresser. :blush:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I do most of my voicework lying down. Once you get the breathing trick down, it's actually quite effective.

Mudge Coleman
Oct 30, 2011
I guess I'm real late for the party, but better late than never.

Name: Mudge Coleman

Specialties: Australian, but not that Australian (people think I'm English sometimes). Smooth and deep. Dorky. Can do some high pitch, can attempt gruff.
I haven't tried many voices but I can do the Mario "wahoo" pretty good.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Dshearer

Payment: I don't want to put up my payment stuff, but we can sort that out in e-mails.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Sweet jesus.

Thats one hell of a voice you have there.

This one is equally lovely

Samuel fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 16, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gimme some poo poo to do, lads. Next Audiobook for the Blind Foundation ain't gonna be ratified for another two weeks.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I wish the pump on my water cooling wasn't howling like a banshee, or I'd set up a Tindeck and join in the fun immediately.
Anybody have any advice for setting up a ghetto recording studio in the confines of their room?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This got played in Lethbridge, Alberta.

Samuel posted:

I wish the pump on my water cooling wasn't howling like a banshee, or I'd set up a Tindeck and join in the fun immediately.
Anybody have any advice for setting up a ghetto recording studio in the confines of their room?

I just wait until my water cooler is turned off to record. I recorded the GBSFM promo at 2 in the morning, for example.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

CaptainYesterday posted:

This got played in Lethbridge, Alberta.

How this province can support all these indie radio stations, I'll never know. That said, I laughed at 'Vancyewwwver'.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

A couple weeks ago I recorded the trailer VO for No Goblin's new game, Roundabout. Trailer was just released yesterday and you can check it out here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186357488

shehackedyou
Aug 14, 2004

it is never too late to give up your prejudices
Would it be appropriate to post a script for a kick starter video? I have a condenser mic and will likely do it myself but it might be nice to see how different it could sound with someone who isn't the shy science-y type.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

hoped.so posted:

Would it be appropriate to post a script for a kick starter video? I have a condenser mic and will likely do it myself but it might be nice to see how different it could sound with someone who isn't the shy science-y type.

Of course! People need work and/or practice.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Definitely. I could use a little practice with my narration.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
GIVE IT TO US :black101:

titties
May 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

A couple weeks ago I recorded the trailer VO for No Goblin's new game, Roundabout. Trailer was just released yesterday and you can check it out here:

Please tell me that in addition to the narration you were the one going BA-DA-DA badadadada in the background

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

titties posted:

Please tell me that in addition to the narration you were the one going BA-DA-DA badadadada in the background

Nah I'm not that good.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Goons should definitely check this out and greenlight it :v:

Also, I loved the voicework on that, Joe. I'm the dude who did the ending part :respek:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Geop posted:

Goons should definitely check this out and greenlight it :v:

Also, I loved the voicework on that, Joe. I'm the dude who did the ending part :respek:

I knew the voice on the last bit was familiar but I just couldn't place it. You should definitely be here more often :)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

hoped.so posted:

Yeah, whats the harm. Give it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shehackedyou
Aug 14, 2004

it is never too late to give up your prejudices
Sorry, I was trying to edit it a bit and research if I should format it as a script for voice actors.

http://paradox.rambisyouth.com/SA/voscript

If I do end up using your voice ( I will notify you in the thread ) and we get funded I will either compensate you after the funding comes in or contract you for other VO work on the project. I can not currently pay for VO work so don't do this expecting immediate compensation.