Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
attackbunny
May 1, 2009
ETA: Chapter link for new page.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

New Chapter. Things took a dramatic shift. :stare:

And then Juvia. :catstare:

So the entire council just got kasploded by a catboy (a catboy named after a canid). That was unexpected.

Did Lahar die as well? Oh, man, Doranbolt, you shouldn't have talked about what a great future he had ahead of him. You brought these dead friends on yourself.

Does this chapter increase or decrease the chances that Silver is Gray Senior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
This just further backs up the theory that Silver is Gray's father (besides the obvious naming convention). If Silver is a demon who uses demonic ice magic then Gray would also be part demon and therefore could interact with the demon ice.

Regardless of how accurate that theory is, I really like the design of Tartaros' members. Can't wait to get down to the action in this arc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

attackbunny posted:

So the entire council just got kasploded by a catboy (a catboy named after a canid). That was unexpected.

Did Lahar die as well? Oh, man, Doranbolt, you shouldn't have talked about what a great future he had ahead of him. You brought these dead friends on yourself.

I think Lahar was actually a woman, if I'm remembering the magic tournament arc correctly. I was kind of surprised she would be killed off like that, since I kind of expected she'd become more significant after that. Oh well, female character in Fairy Tail not named Erza, I guess.

Juvia remains the best character. Why is she not allowed to be in the main team again?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This would have more impact if they weren't such dicks 99% of the time. I know they killed the one "good" council member in person, but given the rest of the council I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't actually the head of Tartarus.

attackbunny posted:

Severely decreases, with an odd probability distribution that means if he is then Gray immediately gets a power up.

My completely uninformed guess is: The demon killed Gray's father and took his skin for his human form.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 18, 2013

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I really loving hope that "eaten out" part was a lovely translation...

But I guess I know better. :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Mangastream does stretch things to translate a joke, but it's probably an equally terrible joke in the original.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"With great power comes the desire to show it off"

I think that may be this manga's mission statement. :allears:

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Eh, I dunno. "It's like I've been eaten by another man" I would buy, but explicit references to cunnilingus? That seems a bit beyond Fairy Tail, even if are running pictures of naked ladies all day every day. And like Shugojin says, MS like to play fast and loose with their translations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You probably translate the joke at the level you expect of your audience. I mean, they didn't really change anything, that is pretty much the whole joke - changing it to be more explicit doesn't really modify the intrinsic meaning.

Also I really liked that chapter. Part of me really appreciates how this manga just blows things up and doesn't waste time at all, ever.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

I think Lahar was actually a woman, if I'm remembering the magic tournament arc correctly. I was kind of surprised she would be killed off like that, since I kind of expected she'd become more significant after that. Oh well, female character in Fairy Tail not named Erza, I guess.

Do you mean Yukino? She was the summoner from Sabretooth who joined Fiore's military. Lahar is the Council minion who showed up to take Gerard away at the end of the Oracion Seis arc while the tattooed rear end in a top hat was trying to have a moment with Erza. I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

It's an understandable mixup though because Lahar was super girly.

Gyges posted:

This would have more impact if they weren't such dicks 99% of the time. I know they killed the one "good" council member in person, but given the rest of the council I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't actually the head of Tartarus.

Severely decreases, with an odd probability distribution that means if he is then Gray immediately gets a power up.

My completely uninformed guess is: The demon killed Gray's father and took his skin for his human form.

Oh, good idea. Then here's mine: The demon and Gray's father fused, creating this new jackass, but there's still an option for Gray's dad to be saved or sacrifice himself heroically.

Also betting on redemption for that one demon girl who's still pretty.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm betting on redemption for Tempesta instead, because that one demon that hosed around with Minerva is already in a story arc about redemption so I don't think she'll turn too. The villain whose actions cause your other villain to turn good turning good herself would seem a bit lazy even for Mashima. Tempesta is the one Tartarus member we haven't seen yet (I think), and I doubt there's only going to be one hot, busty chick in the guild, so I'm assuming she'll be the one to turn instead. Along with Silver, because he's smiling and being a bit to moderate to do otherwise, and no-one of even the remotest consequence dies in this manga.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 18, 2013

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

attackbunny posted:

Personally I think it increases chances. At least for me its the name connection, and the fact that Gray could interact with the ice because it would make him part demon that makes it seem like they're at least related

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

I'm betting on redemption for Tempesta instead, because that one demon that hosed around with Minerva is already in a story arc about redemption so I don't think she'll turn too. The villain whose actions cause your other villain to turn good turning good herself would seem a bit lazy even for Mashima. Tempesta is the one Tartarus member we haven't seen yet (I think), and I doubt there's only going to be one hot, busty chick in the guild, so I'm assuming she'll be the one to turn instead. Along with Silver, because he's smiling and being a bit to moderate to do otherwise, and no-one of even the remotest consequence dies in this manga.

Wait, I'm confused. I'm going to read the chapter again.

Okay, I figured it out.

http://i.imgur.com/kMWTg7m.png

The one with the giant butt who talked to Minerva is called Kyouka. She's not the one I thought would get a redemption for being pretty, because she has a stupid-looking head. I was talking about the girl behind her, the largely normal-looking one with only horns and a forehead marking. (She can't be Tempesta, though, because Kyouka said Tempesta and the catboy inexplicably named after a dog weren't there.)

Kyouka's definitely going to be dispensing redemption tokens rather than winning any.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it looks like Cobra is going to be Freed. Along with the rest of the Six. Given that Angel is totally Yukino's sister I am guessing Yukino will get involved.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So it looks like Cobra is going to be Freed. Along with the rest of the Six. Given that Angel is totally Yukino's sister I am guessing Yukino will get involved.

It is kind of a shame that Oracion Seis didn't break out during the time skip, that could have added a bit to the sense of time having passed. If they are let out by the council it won't have the same impact as breaking out themselves.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

It is kind of a shame that Oracion Seis didn't break out during the time skip, that could have added a bit to the sense of time having passed. If they are let out by the council it won't have the same impact as breaking out themselves.

They broke out in an anime filler arc. It was Just Okay.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

WhiffleballDude posted:

They broke out in an anime filler arc. It was Just Okay.

Well I suppose that is the best you can hope for anime filler. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Well I suppose that is the best you can hope for anime filler. :(

To be accurate it was just as good for the most part as a normal Fairy Tail Arc. It was called the Key to the Starry Skies arc and it's canon to the manga. As Yukino stated that it happened. The plot was more or less the Seis were manipulating one of the main religious orders of Fiore called Zentopia. In order to aquire a powerful magic called Real Nightmare that would allow them to destroy the world.

The Seis changed membership a bit as Brain/Zero was not around for some reason though he was stated to still be alive. All the members were borderline suicidal in the arc each have sacrificed something to obtain greater power (Midnight excluded).

Midnight now calling himself Brain II took leadership having mastered Darkness Magic to strengthen himself.

Cobra gave up one his eyes to strengthen his Sound Magic to the point were he could complacently control sound around him. This also let him phase out the reason he lost last time. (He effortlessly beat Erza once and came close to beating her a 2nd time but lost once due to his sound magic. He heard the voice of his Snake friend as he had been searching for her and this distracted him long enough for Erza to knock him off the platform they were fighting on.)

Angel obtained a new Magic called Angel magic that allowed her to summon Angel like creatures. What she sacrificed for this magic was her life span. Each time she summoned them she would use coins represented some of her life span. Once she ran out the Angels would consume her soul while she delusionaly believed that they would turn her into an Angel upon death.

Racer perfected his magic. It did what it used to do slowing everything down while granting him super speed at the same time. He was pretty much Teleporting with his magic. In exchange for this he gave up his heart, losing his personality making him little more then a sadistic and cruel animal that could speak. (Though it tended to be little more then evil laughter and rage.)

Erigor became a full member known by the code name of Grim Reaper. He turned his wind magic into very powerful Storm Magic allowing to control the weather. In exchange he gave up his memories. This turned him more or less into a much more powerful shell of his former self.

Klodoa the Staff also became a full member.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wow. Of all of those people, I only remember anything about Cobra, Angel, and Racer. I guess half of the villain group is actually good for Fairy Tail, though. Hell, I think I remember more about them than anyone in Hades' group or anyone they fought in Edolas, barring Pantherlily and Knighwalker. And, of course, Dragon Tank.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 19, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wow. Of all of those people, I only remember anything about Cobra, Angel, and Racer. I guess half of the villain group is actually good for Fairy Tail, though. Hell, I think I remember more about them than anyone in Hades' group or anyone they fought in Edolas, barring Pantherlily and Knighwalker. And, of course, Dragon Tank.

Erigor was the villain from the Lullaby Arc aka the first one right after the introduction. To jog your memory on him.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Erigor was the villain from the Lullaby Arc aka the first one right after the introduction. To jog your memory on him.
Aah, I just kind of assumed he was a member of the Seis that I'd forgotten about. I still had to google him to remember who he was and what the Lullaby Arc was, but once I saw him things clicked back into place. I really did like how Natsu finished that fight.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Isn't Mirajane's power-up mode a demon form?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I hope whoever came up with the Silver=Gray's Dad theory is happy, because now if that doesn't happen I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

Also wait, if they're demons, and Silver is a Demon Slayer, uh.. hold up, I thought Slayer magic was used by humans to mimic their respective origin. Why would a guy who's already a demon need Demon Slayer magic? Do Dragons use Dragon Slayer magic?

I wonder who Oracion Seis consists of these days after the anime filler arc. Is it the original six he's asking for the release of? I'd think Richard/Hoteye wouldn't want to hang out with evil people anymore. The new version? But then that wouldn't work because-

anime arc spoiler:
Michelle or whatever her real fake name was turned into a doll and is not in jail. Something probably happened to at least one of the other guys too. I think the staff guy who was supposed to be smashed/dead got smashed again?

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2013

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Zogundar posted:

Also wait, if they're demons, and Silver is a Demon Slayer, uh.. hold up, I thought Slayer magic was used by humans to mimic their respective origin. Why would a guy who's already a demon need Demon Slayer magic? Do Dragons use Dragon Slayer magic?
I think it's just semantics, e.g. Dragon magic is referred to as Dragon Slayer magic when used by humans. Referring to it as Demon Slayer magic was just the (faulty) assumption that the user was human.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogundar posted:

I hope whoever came up with the Silver=Gray's Dad theory is happy, because now if that doesn't happen I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

I wonder who Oracion Seis consists of these days after the anime filler arc. Is it the original six he's asking for the release of? I'd think Richard/Hoteye wouldn't want to hang out with evil people anymore. The new version? But then that wouldn't work because-

anime arc spoiler:
Michelle or whatever her real fake name was turned into a doll and is not in jail. Something probably happened to at least one of the other guys too. I think the staff guy who was supposed to be smashed/dead got smashed again?

Imitatia was always a doll. Klodoa actually came back in another Ova and got smashed again there he apparently has the power to come back from the dead. Anyway I am guessing the Six Cobra wants would be Brain, Midnight, Cobra, Angel, Racer and Erigor.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Taratang posted:

I think it's just semantics, e.g. Dragon magic is referred to as Dragon Slayer magic when used by humans. Referring to it as Demon Slayer magic was just the (faulty) assumption that the user was human.

Maybe a Demon Slayer is a demon using magic that's a bit slay-ish, as opposed to someone with magic designed to slay demons?

quote:

All the members were borderline suicidal in the arc each have sacrificed something to obtain greater power (Midnight excluded).
I think Midnight gave up a future where he met Brain again. I'm not sure how he did that. Like, is this a mystical fate thing, or did he just sign a binding legal contract never to go visit him? Who exactly is brokering these deals?

I've been rereading the Fighting Festival arc, and is there any explanation for how Luxus knew Mystogan's secret identity? Because I don't remember it, and the only thing I can think of is that Luxus watches people in the bath, and that creeps me out.

That's a stupid question, isn't it? Nobody knows, and that includes Mashima.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Imitatia was always a doll. Klodoa actually came back in another Ova and got smashed again there he apparently has the power to come back from the dead. Anyway I am guessing the Six Cobra wants would be Brain, Midnight, Cobra, Angel, Racer and Erigor.

I know, I went back and changed that description to be more ambiguous just in case. Even though I was using spoiler tags. I guess because this is a manga thread so just-in-case someone assumed it was manga spoilers without paying attention to the label in the event that they hadn't seen it and might have wanted to, it wouldn't be COMPLETELY spoiled. I'm weird that way.
Incidentally, I think you spoiled the one OVA I haven't seen yet. :gonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogundar posted:

I know, I went back and changed that description to be more ambiguous just in case. Even though I was using spoiler tags. I guess because this is a manga thread so just-in-case someone assumed it was manga spoilers without paying attention to the label in the event that they hadn't seen it and might have wanted to, it wouldn't be COMPLETELY spoiled. I'm weird that way.
Incidentally, I think you spoiled the one OVA I haven't seen yet. :gonk:

It's the Rave x Fairy Tail ova just to tell you.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

I felt like Natsu and Gray were reader stand-ins at "Nudity? Meh. :geno:"

I love the idea that Natsu/Erza/Gray have know each other so long and been through so much that they just dont care.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
New Chapter Featuring cooking, fanservice and cool entrances.

Please don't lose Laxus

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I love it when he does that. Please never stop leaving and then making unnecessarily dramatic returns to save the day, Laxus.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 25, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I admit, I thought he'd grown a beard for minute.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Why doesn't Laxus just cheat and use Fairy Law off the bat?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Please don't get Worfed, please don't get Worfed...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

Please don't get Worfed, please don't get Worfed...

He's so getting Worfed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

milktwice posted:

Why doesn't Laxus just cheat and use Fairy Law off the bat?

No one is ever allowed to use ultimate techniques without first exhausting all lesser techniques and positing at least 3 pages of dialog. MacArthur slipped wording to that effect into the Japanese constitution when he rewrote it.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Laxus was hiding in the shop opposite until the absolute optimum moment for a dramatic re-entrance.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

He's so getting Worfed.

Considering the other guy just soloed the rescue team from a couple/few arcs ago, I don't see how a top or near top tier like Laxus can go down that easily without leaving the majority of the core cast as effective as useless side characters in the coming battles (Unless they do a training arc/get powerups/find some silver weapons.)
Although "Demon Dragon Slayer Magic" has a nice ring to it, maybe Natsu can steal that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zogundar posted:

Considering the other guy just soloed the rescue team from a couple/few arcs ago, I don't see how a top or near top tier like Laxus can go down that easily without leaving the majority of the core cast as effective as useless side characters in the coming battles (Unless they do a training arc/get powerups/find some silver weapons.)
Although "Demon Dragon Slayer Magic" has a nice ring to it, maybe Natsu can steal that.

No, he does ice. Natsu can't eat ice. Unless it's creamed or shaved.

gently caress it. Lucy calls out Cancer, he cuts up the ice, Happy pulls out some flavoring he happens to have in his backpack, and Natsu eats the world's largest magic snow cone in order to power up. Fist of the Absolute Zero Fire Dragon.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

gently caress it. Lucy calls out Cancer, he cuts up the ice, Happy pulls out some flavoring he happens to have in his backpack, and Natsu eats the world's largest magic snow cone in order to power up. Fist of the Absolute Zero Fire Dragon.

I'm assuming at least one of them has some kind of fire attack, and they're all demons (Well, I guess that would leave out the Slayer part if they don't have one of those too, but Natsu already has the "Slayer" part in the name, he just needs the "Demon" part..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

Gonna be honest: Fist of the Absolute Zero Fire Dragon is an awesome name for a Shounen Attack and I'm sad that it will most likely not happen.

• Locked thread