Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Not a fan of Rowson's cartoon today either, although mainly because he seems to have become Riddell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"It is the final of BBC 2s The great British Bake Off"

Noted studio-based baking show, the Great British Bake Off.

quote:

Express:

:smith:
Holy poo poo.

I found the other side of that sink, just out of frame:

Stottie Kyek posted:

DOCTOR

That is a terrible racist caricature, it's even worse than one of Mac's. I keep noticing more horrible little details he's lovingly added to it, like the big hoop earrings and the window squeegee. (Is that a stereotype? Do Express readers think all Romanians are window-cleaners or something?)
I assume the squeegee is for cleaning car windscreens at traffic lights, which is classic 'obnoxious beggar' behaviour.

quote:

But Dracula is himself an illegal immigrant from Eastern Europe who exploits British (mental) health care to his own ends?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Stottie Kyek posted:

Is that a stereotype? Do Express readers think all Romanians are window-cleaners or something?

All Romanians are gypsies, and window cleaners are gypsies (an 80's stereotype maybe, nowadays it's a business with fairly expensive up-front costs and tends to be done by registered businesses, but Thomas does not live in the now)

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

"Hooo~ Watch your money around the gypsies, Graham! They come from far away and wear weird clothes!"

ClownSyndrome fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 23, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Betjeman posted:

All Romanians are gypsies, and window cleaners are gypsies (an 80's stereotype maybe, nowadays it's a business with fairly expensive up-front costs and tends to be done by registered businesses, but Thomas does not live in the now)
I think he just doesn't know the difference between Romanian and Romani.

Butt Potato posted:

Mail:
"It is the final of BBC 2s The great British Bake Off"

quote:

“Viewers often ask “What do we do with all those cakes made during the series?”
Actually a pretty decent joke IMO.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Skeleton Jelly posted:

So Eastern Europeans men look otherwise exactly identical to everyone else but they don't shave and wear caps? Ok.
Take away the pinstripes, they could be twins!

Do... do you think he's being subversive? Take away the contractually mandated jingoist bollocks, and the underlying message is "look, we're all the same really"?

Nope. Nice thought though.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I prefer to believe he's telling a story of a dystopian far future where only politicians, celebrities, and royalty rode out the apocalypse in their nuclear bunkers.

Deprived of the 99% who provided them with the attention they crave, they genetically engineered a race of identical googly-eyed, sausage-nosed clones to serve them. They are bred to be incapable of most tasks other than spouting inane witticisms about current events.

Obviously, in order to keep their Morlock servants informed they have strategically positioned news placards about the ruins of Britain and labelled all DOCTORS with clear, easily-read signs.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 23, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

big scary monsters posted:

I think he just doesn't know the difference between Romanian and Romani.

Even if he did know, do you think that would stop him?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on John Major's intervention over Tory energy policy - Former prime minister stuns No 10 with call for windfall tax on energy companies"

Telegraph:

Cameron announces green energy tax review (I think? Not sure about this one.)

Independent:

Mail:
"Prince George was christened today at St James palace"

quote:

“Aw, Cheer up, boss. Maybe next time. The kid’s got plenty godfathers.”

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Cameron announces green energy tax review (I think? Not sure about this one.)

Yeah it's a reference to Cameron's 'greenest government EVER' PR shoot

And now he's backtracking on the green energy levy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24637499

Funny thing is Adams is basically agreeing entirely with his nemesis Ed Miliband on this one, for some reason

quote:

In the Commons, Mr Miliband said 60% of green taxes had been introduced by the current government and reminded the prime minister of his stated ambition to lead the "greenest government" ever.

"He really is changing his policy every day of the week. His energy secretary says it is nothing to do with green taxes. And who is the man who said 'Vote blue to go green'? It was him."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jesus, Cameron's gone down the Blair route of resembling his caricature more and more.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on John Major's intervention over Tory energy policy - Former prime minister stuns No 10 with call for windfall tax on energy companies"

:siren: And out of nowhere, Steve Bell is back into doing pure gold! :siren:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the NSA bugging row - Angela Merkel and François Hollande have asked for a joint response to claims that the NSA bugged the chancellor's phone and intercepted French calls"

Telegraph:

Independent:

David Cameron considers switching burden of energy bill cuts to the taxpayer - PM seeks to placate Lib Dems who oppose end of green levies

Mail:
"A review of the NHS finds that large numbers of hospitals come into the high risk category."

quote:

“Before we start put out of your mind any rubbish you’ve heard about high risk hospitals.”

Express:

Prince George christening: Official pictures released

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

This one's Kind of beautiful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

It looks like the baby's being used as a vessel for the soul of the reptilian Sun King in some kind of Atlantean technology ritual or something. Maintain the orichalcum beams! He shall rise once more!

Is it me or is there a trend of Cameron getting killed in cartoons lately? Is that normal in the mainstream?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dunno about you but it sure is entertaining in a cathartic way.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

baka kaba posted:

It looks like the baby's being used as a vessel for the soul of the reptilian Sun King in some kind of Atlantean technology ritual or something. Maintain the orichalcum beams! He shall rise once more!

Is it me or is there a trend of Cameron getting killed in cartoons lately? Is that normal in the mainstream?

Him getting popped by IDS was the best.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That's the flag of Yugoslavia.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ yeah well uh, see, aha what I meant was, it's sideways which represents, uh THE SKEWED PRIORITIES OF EUROPE yes

Forums Terrorist posted:

Him getting popped by IDS was the best.

The problem with Bell's cartoons is he makes government figures more human and likeable

e-

I hope he clearly makes the point that they're showing just how terrible the government is and then uses Nadine Dorries as a convenient example. But it's the One Show so I wouldn't expect much of anything at all. Maybe it'll give Rowson some exposure though, I think his work comes closer to capturing a sense of what's really going on behind the PR/media facade, the depressing hypocritical reality behind the :lies:, but mostly the people who see his stuff are already aware of that. I feel like putting his cartoons up on billboards would do the UK a lot of good

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 25, 2013

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

The hidden badger is far more subtle than any joke he's ever made.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

baka kaba posted:

But it's the One Show so I wouldn't expect much of anything at all.
!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbcACpriZ9s

:colbert:

With that said I missed it I think, anything interesting happen?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's like the one One Show show where anything happened. And you know it!

I'll have a look on iPlayer and see if it was interesting, I get the feeling everyone's going to be nice and nice to Nadine Dorries and then I'll feel dirty

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

baka kaba posted:

e-

I hope he clearly makes the point that they're showing just how terrible the government is and then uses Nadine Dorries as a convenient example. But it's the One Show so I wouldn't expect much of anything at all. Maybe it'll give Rowson some exposure though, I think his work comes closer to capturing a sense of what's really going on behind the PR/media facade, the depressing hypocritical reality behind the :lies:, but mostly the people who see his stuff are already aware of that. I feel like putting his cartoons up on billboards would do the UK a lot of good

I missed most of the show, the only interaction with the presenters I saw was when they challenged Rowson and some younger cartoonist to make a political cartoon about the US spying on other countries - Rowson did an Obama-Earwig going through Merkel's and Hollande's heads and the younger chap did a periscope spying on Merkel while in the bath.

I don't think any political views are allowed on the one show other than some loving NIMBY moaning how a Nuclear Power Plant/Windfarm/etc may be built on some land that they claim to be pristine but has obviously been heavily modified by human hands since the 15th century. Hell, most of the "untouched" green-land they show is hedged and mowed.

They also had a poo poo bit around the time of the Olympics - some silver-winning fucker interviewed a protester and then later complained "They had all these answers [against my questions of why they were protesting, and pretty loving good ones like the gentrification, kicking people out of their homes, how Olympics very rarely actually improve the economy in comparison to how much the host-country spends, etc], it was so frustrating!"

The One Show, however, is just a vehicle for the BBC to break down Right Wing talking points into smaller, digestible pieces for middle class English-folk. Kind of like how Newsround and Blue Peter breaks down complicated facts of life (NR did a decent bit about anthrax back in the day, or whatever chemical that was making people think they'd been poisoned but infact just had a cold, & I remember when Blue Peter tried to explain the whole Hong Kong thing) for 8-year olds to early teens.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nah that was Ben Jennings and BOB doing the live drawing. Turns out BOB is young and obsessed with Ed Miliband, who knew?

The actual piece was pretty good actually (it's at 7:00 if anyone wants to wind back iPlayer, right at the start of the programme), it was mostly Rowson talking about why he does what he does, and Nadine Dorries popped up and tried to pretend it was all good fun while Rowson pointedly ignored her and laid down one of his burns. They showed a lot of cartoons too, lingering shots, including the Indy one up there of Hunt sucking the NHS's blood, one of Rowson's where he's smothering a patient with a pillow, a Thatcher Hillsborough one, and Steve Bell's 'why is this pit open?' classic. All in all pretty subversive, pretty good for teatime TV!

Honestly the One Show is pretty safe whenever I've seen it, and they have some real shits doing guest reports, but sometimes they are pretty critical in a non-confrontational way. They sometimes even do the thing where there's a report and then in the studio they hit all the good points. Matt Baker's good at the gentle jabs, but it's not exactly a show built around that and all too often it's 'here's a bad thing, Alex Jones looks sad and shakes her head... and now a dog that eats cakes!!!!'

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

New av anyone?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BastardySkull posted:

New av anyone?

"The Boy who would be Krang"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thursday's Express:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on George Osborne's 'path to prosperity' - UK's economic growth cheers chancellor but Ed Balls says there is 'no recovery at all' for millions"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Delphin Enjorlas.

Stephen Collins:

:zombie:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Cloud Potato posted:

Thursday's Express:

All these guys sure are happy that a baby is crying.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Whybird posted:

All these guys sure are happy that a baby is crying.

That's pretty much every single christening ever lol. :(

Like that Stephen Collins this week! :D

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Halloween shockers from the coalition - Chris Riddell goes trick or treating with the prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

UK braced for worst storm in years; Danny Alexander 'confident' HS2 will be within budget

Independent on Sunday:

NSA: New reports in German media deepen US-Merkel spy row

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 27, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Tory ministers and their recent domestic policy programme"

Telegraph:

Independent:

TV licence 'faces cut unless BBC rebuilds trust' - Shapps

Express:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

'Every cloud has a silver lining. For example, now we have no electricity!'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Crashbee posted:

'Every cloud has a silver lining. For example, now we have no electricity!'

'Every cloud has a silver lining. For example, now we have no electricity 90-foot metal towers topped with blades hurtling freely across the landscape!'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

'Every cloud has a silver lining. For example, now we have no electricity 90-foot metal towers topped with blades hurtling freely across the landscape!'
"Don't say I didn't warn you."
________________/

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

"Don't say I didn't warn you."
________________/

From Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on HS2"

Telegraph:

Stage set for heated debate on energy prices

Independent:

Mail:
"A huge storm causing devastation has swept throughout the Uk."

quote:

“Strange isn’t it?- The last devastating storm bringing chaos and misery to the country was in 1987 when again the Tories were in power.”

Express:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Am I reading this incorrectly, or is Mac saying "Don't vote Tory again, because whenever you do God visits devastation upon the country"?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ookiimarukochan posted:

Am I reading this incorrectly, or is Mac saying "Don't vote Tory again, because whenever you do God visits devastation upon the country"?

It's a "BBC HAS LEFTIST BIAS" joke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Why the gently caress do people hate windfarms? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tony Jowns posted:

It's a "BBC HAS LEFTIST BIAS" joke.

I wonder if he thinks that weathermen somehow SET the weather rather than FORECAST it?

• Locked thread