Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kyrosiris posted:

There's also apparently a new set of summoning armor from the event - Spooky Armor, made out of the spooky wood that stuff drops. The set bonus isn't +1 minion, though, but +25% minion damage.

I need this :stare:

Ornedan posted:

Water Bolt and Book of Skulls are better pre-hardmode spells.

Yes. Water Bolt is extremely good, especially if you get a decent modifier on it. I found a really strong Water Bolt in the Dungeon's entry room before even fighting the Brain of Cthulhu, and that thing carried me right through into Hardmode with such effectiveness that I barely used anything else at all until I got my hands on Golden Shower and rendered every other weapon I'd ever found totally obsolete.

vvv Demon Scythe is extremely strong, but Water Bolt is honestly the best pre-Hardmode spell that doesn't require farming loving Skeletron (:gonk:). It casts rapidly, is reasonably mana-efficient, is easy to use, does solid damage, is amazing for keeping melee opponents at bay, and can do cataclysmic amounts of damage to multi-segmented enemies or hordes of opponents like you encounter in the Dungeon or during invasions/blood moons. Water Bolt is just super loving good, and every remotely magey pre-Hardmode character who's managed to kill Skeletron should mine out every single book in the Dungeon until they get it. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ornedan posted:

Water Bolt and Book of Skulls are better pre-hardmode spells.

I never got either. :( I didn't recommend a Demon Scythe for nearly the same reason, the drop rate is ridiculous.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Kyrosiris posted:

Pre-Hardmode: Sapphire/Ruby/Diamond Staff, Aqua Scepter, Jungle Armor, Mana Flower + mobility accessories to taste
Early Hardmode: Golden Shower, Crystal Storm, the best Hardmode ore armor you can make, Mana Flower + Sorcerer's Emblem + mobility accessories to taste
Late Hardmode: Golden Shower, Shadowbeam Staff, Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork, Spectre Armor, Mana Flower + Sorcerer's Emblem + mobility accessories to taste

My lack of dungeon area that spawns Diabloists is a real pain in the rear end, I need to spawn another world. :argh:

Ornedan posted:

Water Bolt and Book of Skulls are better pre-hardmode spells. The BoS is good enough for hardmode, too, until you can get your hands on a Golden Shower and stomp everything. I'd recommend Mana Cuffs once you've got Spectre Armor (they're OK beforehand, too) so you don't have to waste inventory slots on mana potions.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can put together once I'm home.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh god I hope this synergizes with the Tiki Armour. I want to make a pure-summoning build with a giant swarm of ravens, a small army of pygmies, an icy hydra turret, and a staff that shoots bats, and just run around laughing maniacally as my gigantic horde of pissed off minions murders everything. I'll need a pet and a wisp in a bottle of course, and I'll need to find out if the fairy bell can be used at the same time as the wisp. If so I might as well get a shadow orb too. I need more things. More things.

If only there was a way to have the Chlorophyte Armour set and the Tiki Armour set at the same time. That little murder-crystal is kind of neat.

edit: Oh, I'll need a honey accessory as well, so that I shoot bees from my eyes whenever anything dares to touch me. Possibly the cloak, so that I also summon stars from the sky. If I'm going to make this build I might as well go all-in and make it the biggest, clusterfuckingest, most screen-obscuring shitfest I possibly can.

I also found an item called necromantic scroll or something during the pumpkin moon event that says it increases the number of minions and damage by 10%. Too bad I've never got Plantera to drop the pygmy staff.

Also found this happy little fellow whilst mashing pumpkins:

Edit: the robot is me by the way, one of the new costumes I've found along with karate tortoise (ninja turtle) and a Lara Croft outfit

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 25, 2013

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
How many waves are there in the event? I got to the fifth one before I ran out of time and they despawned.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

King Doom posted:

How many waves are there in the event? I got to the fifth one before I ran out of time and they despawned.

Max of 15 waves. The final wave pits you against eight of each of the minibosses.

It also ends at dawn, so start the event at 7:30 PM like you would with mechanical bosses.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Loving the Halloween update.

The new pets :3: and now I have an attack raven. The pumpkin moon event is fun and even a bit of a challenge even with maxed out gear.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrosiris posted:

Max of 15 waves. The final wave pits you against eight of each of the minibosses.

It also ends at dawn, so start the event at 7:30 PM like you would with mechanical bosses.

:stare: 15?! I got to like... 6 or 7 before morning hit! And I'm in Spectre Armor with a Magnet Ball, Megashark, Terra Blade, and other high-end goodies. Holy poo poo. Never beating that one solo, I guess...

Got a Wisp in a Bottle off of something in the Dungeon while I was Ectoplasm grinding, though! Couldn't have Spectre Armor without Ghost Wings. Now I have a controllable little light ball buddy to roll with!

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Kyrosiris posted:

Also to answer your other question, apparently the Raven Staff works just like the Pygmy Staff, and works with the Tiki Armor/Pygmy Necklace/Hercules Beetle. There's also apparently a new set of summoning armor from the event - Spooky Armor, made out of the spooky wood that stuff drops. The set bonus isn't +1 minion, though, but +25% minion damage.

This is hilarious. I already use my Hydra to farm stuff like Paladins without being put in harm's way. Being able to drop a Hydra pretty much anywhere on the screen, even through walls, and now with 25% more damage seems like it will be a bit overpowered.

Between this and the new Bat/Raven staffs I will be able to afk farm stuff more easily. (Yes, I have no qualms about AFK farming. gently caress YOU Adhesive Bandage :negative: I waited through 2 Full Moons to farm Werewolves for that drat thing and no drops yet. It's literally the last component I need for my Ankh Shield)

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 25, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mental Midget posted:

I waited through 2 Full Moons to farm Werewolves for that drat thing and no drops yet. It's literally the last component I need for my Ankh Shield)
Why not Rusty Armored Bones? None in your dungeon?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

Why not Rusty Armored Bones? None in your dungeon?

I farmed the dungeon for a long time too. I was lucky with the Armor Polish but not the bandage. I figure the full moons would give me a better chance since it's just pure werewolves. Honestly if I go through 1 more full moon and it doesn't drop, I'm jsut going to edit it in. Haven't used a Terraria trainer at all yet but this is getting ridiculous.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anglerfish also drop it. Try the jungle; they'll spawn in the surface pools there along with arapaimas.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Do I need a new world for bags of goodies to drop off monsters?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

Do I need a new world for bags of goodies to drop off monsters?
Nope!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I didn't know that Anglerfish and Rusty Armoured Bones could drop those things! I have almost every status resistance item, so I guess I'll go farm up a bandage now, and see what I can mash together into combined accessories once I've got one. I needed to take a break from building my giant Bond villain evil volcano lair anyway.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I guess I'll go farm up a bandage now, and see what I can mash together into combined accessories once I've got one.

Here's a handy flowchart that breaks it all down! :)

I wish there were more progression items like this, it gives a good motivation to keep playing/farming/making new worlds after you can thoroughly own the Golem and Pantera.

The only other items I can think of that require many stages to construct like this are the Terra Blade. Any other obvious ones I'm missing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

The only other items I can think of that require many stages to construct like this are the Terra Blade. Any other obvious ones I'm missing?
Flame Gauntlet takes a few, as does the Ninja Outfit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weird, Cauldrons can't be placed on furniture or wooden platforms anymore.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Weird, I just killed a bunch of stuff but nothing's dropping :/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

Weird, I just killed a bunch of stuff but nothing's dropping :/
It's a rare-ish drop.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
It'd be cool if you could combine the Ankh shield with the paladin shield for more compact deliciousness. But I guess you'd loose all that defense bonus by doing it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Klayboxx posted:

It'd be cool if you could combine the Ankh shield with the paladin shield for more compact deliciousness. But I guess you'd loose all that defense bonus by doing it.

I dunno, I could see an item like that. Call it something like "Grand Aegis" or something, and it gives you the effect of both shields.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I could see an item like that. Call it something like "Grand Aegis" or something, and it gives you the effect of both shields.

Yeah I could too, it'd just have to have an insane amount of base defense to make it worth it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has anyone managed to beat the Pumpkin moon solo, and if so can they post their loadout?

Even without a timer it'd be really hard, but with a timer it seems pretty much impossible solo.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

RatHat posted:

Has anyone managed to beat the Pumpkin moon solo, and if so can they post their loadout?

Even without a timer it'd be really hard, but with a timer it seems pretty much impossible solo.

I've got a full set of spectre armor plus all mythic spells and an arena I feel works ok for the fight and I still only got to the second pumpking, but only got him to around 30-40% health. I've also tried turtle armor/vampire knives for about the same effect. It's just a matter of raw damage output. Someone using a full set of buffs and perfect items might be able to get farther, but I don't see them clearing it all playing normally. I don't know if a good ranged setup could do better, though. But survivability would be an issue since all the enemies do approximately five hundred billion damage per hit. And it would be hard to avoid when you start getting swarmed by the mourning woods (actually it's them who do most of the damage with their pew pew attack).

If there's a way to do it solo I think it would have to involve a specially crafted arena using tons of spike ball traps and stuff like that. I'm sure someone will do it eventually, but it might take awhile. It seems like the fight is set up so a solo player can kill the boss, maybe get a second kill if they're really good, but going further needs a group. Which makes sense since a group of people will need more drops. I don't know if there's any real reward for beating the whole thing, though, so it might not be that important.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I've misunderstood what the event is. I thought you had to get to the last round to fight the boss, but it seems he shows up multiple times anyway.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

I haven't gotten to the last wave but it's pretty easy to kill a few Pumpkings each moon wearing Chlorophyte Mask + Turtle Scale Mail + Turtle Leggings equipped with Warding Leaf Wings + Warding Lightning Boots + Warding Fire Gauntlet + Warding Ankh Shield + Warding Destroyer Emblem and using Godly Vampire Knives / Godly Paladin's Hammer / Legendary Death Sickle + Ichor Weapon Imbue buff.

That's 93 DEF but you can raise it to 99 if you really need by wearing a Warding Paladin's Shield, in place of the Destroyer Emblem.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So I'm wondering if this is a bug or what... I recently started playing again and disassembled my old castle and moved everything to a new world with all the new content. At the time of my last playthrough I hadn't been any further than my first couple of Shadow Orbs. Once my fortress was complete on the new world I decided to summon some bosses. Killed the Eye a few times and then made a Goblin Battle Standard. Defeated the Goblin Army, and didn't get a message about the Goblin tinkerer spawning. Went and smashed some Demon Hearts, summoned the Goblins again, and still nothing. Does it have to be triggered from a naturally occurring Goblin Army spawn?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Deific Presence posted:

So I'm wondering if this is a bug or what... I recently started playing again and disassembled my old castle and moved everything to a new world with all the new content. At the time of my last playthrough I hadn't been any further than my first couple of Shadow Orbs. Once my fortress was complete on the new world I decided to summon some bosses. Killed the Eye a few times and then made a Goblin Battle Standard. Defeated the Goblin Army, and didn't get a message about the Goblin tinkerer spawning. Went and smashed some Demon Hearts, summoned the Goblins again, and still nothing. Does it have to be triggered from a naturally occurring Goblin Army spawn?

You find him in the world somewhere bound by ropes once you've finished a Goblin Army invasion, free him with a right click to unlock him and he'll move to valid housing.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Annnd cue Spongebob death-squeal:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Candy corn rifle is so drat good except that chlorophyte bullets have made me lazy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hunting trinkets and broken Hero's sword, oh boy. :confuoot:

My kingdom for a potion of "increased item find chance".

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

The Leper Colon V posted:

Hunting trinkets and broken Hero's sword, oh boy. :confuoot:

My kingdom for a potion of "increased item find chance".

As someone who just started farming the Hardmode Dungeon, man do I ever agree.

Finally got my Magnet Sphere, though. Now to try for a Shadowbeam Staff & Paladin Shield/Hammer.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's so many good costumes. I am enjoying this update.

Here's my glowing mushroom farm. I will never want for mushrooms again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Harlock posted:

That's only about 20 shroomite bars :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harlock posted:

Why the vertical layout? You'd get a much bigger yield if you changed that to rows, with a dart trap at the end to harvest it all at once.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RatHat posted:

Why the vertical layout? You'd get a much bigger yield if you changed that to rows, with a dart trap at the end to harvest it all at once.

Actuators on the mud blocks. You can make 1-block rocks instead of 3-block rows then. :getin:

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Mental Midget posted:

gently caress YOU Adhesive Bandage :negative: I waited through 2 Full Moons to farm Werewolves for that drat thing and no drops yet. It's literally the last component I need for my Ankh Shield)

Trip report: been hunting angler fish for 2 hours now. I'm really starting to think this game doesn't want me to have the Adhesive Bandage.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 26, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mental Midget posted:

Trip report: been hunting angler fish for 2 hours now. I'm really starting to think this game doesn't want me to have the Adhesive Bandage.

I got 6 Magnet Spheres and a bone feather before my first Armor Polish. Of course, then I proceeded to get about 8 more Armor Polishes before I got the ectoplasm I needed, and I have yet to see a wisp in a bottle despite having found about 10 magnet spheres, 10 or more armor polishes, two bone feathers, and a keybrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

President Ark posted:

Actuators on the mud blocks. You can make 1-block rocks instead of 3-block rows then. :getin:

Huh, never thought of this before. Actuators don't destroy the grass?

• Locked thread