Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I thought the first one was reasonably entertaining, if not particularly brilliant so I've been waiting for this one to go up.

The first segment is loving terrible and dull, the second is an interesting idea but the execution isn't anything special, and the third and fourth are some good old-fashioned nightmare fuel. If you didn't like the first one, at least watch the last two shorts. The in-between segment is better than the first but still pretty non-sensical and stupid.

I was going to say that 2 wasn't as grounded as 1, with the Demon, aliens and zombies but I forgot about the first segment and the skype segment.

Cult segment: I hated that demon when it was onscreen. It was not a good suit and looked pretty cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Cult segment: I hated that demon when it was onscreen. It was not a good suit and looked pretty cheesy.

Agreed. But on the other hand I'm kinda glad it went so over the top because it took it from being really dark and horrifying into being somewhat campy and kinda funny. You could argue it ruined the ending, but I think it needed some levity considering that without goofy goat demon it was just Jonestown with a liberal peppering of devil worship and it made me genuinely uncomfortable at points. There's no way that "papa" at the end wasn't intended to be funny.

Also on the whole I was kinda disappointed with the zombie theme since the original had all unique, not interconnected stories and zombies are sooooooooooooo played out. Even the aliens acted a lot like archetypal zombies.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I marathoned all of Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 in like two days, and I don't know if it says something about me, or maybe it's just the October horror blues kicking in, but what I really wanted was for Chloe to actually be more terrible and disturbed than you see in the first episode rather than less, and the show to be about the mixture of pragmatic reasons, optimistic self-justifications, desperation, and slow moral degradation that allows the protagonist to continue rooming with her instead of going home or turning her in to the police when she suspects Chloe actually killed someone. Which she would've actually done, in my version of the show.

And since this is CD and I feel the need to post about something that isn't a TV show (even one on Netflix), let this post be a reminder that Troll 2 is on Netflix Instant. All three of you who've never seen it need to, because it has some of the most bizarre dialogue and worst acting ever committed to film, to such an extent that it feels deliberate until you find out it isn't, perhaps by watching Best Worst Movie. I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and it's still loving incredible.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
The first act of Haywire is super Soderberghy (this is not an insult, I love Soderbergh) and the film as a whole is like a more believable Bourne movie. Five stars, because it's so hard to find good spy thrillers I haven't seen on here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Slumber Party Alien Abduction is on it's own one of the best films of the year.

See one of the best films of the year Slumber Party Alien Abduction, right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Slumber Party Alien Abduction is on it's own one of the best films of the year.

Eh, I'll go so far as to say it's the second best dubstep music video of the year behind Spring Breakers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Are there any standout episodes from Amazing Stories? I love those kind of anthology series.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

It was pointed out to me last night that House of the Devil is back on streaming, thus saving Halloween.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

It was pointed out to me last night that House of the Devil is back on streaming, thus saving Halloween.

Such an awesome movie that building and finish is glorious!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And since this is CD and I feel the need to post about something that isn't a TV show (even one on Netflix), let this post be a reminder that Troll 2 is on Netflix Instant. All three of you who've never seen it need to, because it has some of the most bizarre dialogue and worst acting ever committed to film, to such an extent that it feels deliberate until you find out it isn't, perhaps by watching Best Worst Movie. I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and it's still loving incredible.
Hear, hear. The film is incredibly surreal from start to finish and, like all truly excellent bad movies, they were entirely sincere in making it. I rewatched Best Worst Movie recently also and it's a legit good documentary. I would probably watch it before Troll 2 since the backstory about some of the actors (especially the shop keeper!) really adds to the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

a slim spar posted:

The first act of Haywire is super Soderberghy (this is not an insult, I love Soderbergh) and the film as a whole is like a more believable Bourne movie. Five stars, because it's so hard to find good spy thrillers I haven't seen on here.

Yeah Haywire was not only the best action movie to come out that year but one of the best movies, period.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Yeah Haywire was not only the best action movie to come out that year but one of the best movies, period.

Everyone knows my enthusiasm for that movie, but I'll go a step further: Easy pick for best non-documentary film of 2012, and one of Soderbergh's best ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

I rewatched Best Worst Movie recently also and it's a legit good documentary. I would probably watch it before Troll 2 since the backstory about some of the actors (especially the shop keeper!) really adds to the movie.

I disagree. I managed to get different groups of friends to sit for a double feature, playing Troll 2 first and then Best Worst Movie. The creepy-as-hell shopkeeper acting so bizarre always gets a huge laugh. Then you see Best Worst Movie and see his back story and it's just a major Holy poo poo moment.

Also, my favorite part of Best Worst Movie is the slow realization that Margo isn't just a lonely eccentric. She's pretty much bat-poo poo insane.

It's good to go into Troll 2 with no expectations, just know that it's a terrible, surreal, cheesy movie. Then Best Worst Movie to get the full story. Then you'll probably want to watch Troll 2 again to appreciate how hosed that production was.

Edit: Does anyone know why Deborah Reed, Troll 2's villainous Creedence Leonore Gielgud, didn't make an appearance at all in Best Worst Movie? I'd have loved to have seen what she's doing now and some of her insights.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 25, 2013

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Anonymous Robot posted:

Are there any standout episodes from Amazing Stories? I love those kind of anthology series.

Not sure what you're in the mood for, but S1E4 "Mummy Daddy" is my favorite. It's not creepy or scary in the slightest and is more of a comedic episode, but goddamn I loved this episode as a kid and I was stoked to see it on Netflix.

Edit: ahahaha if true, this bit of trivia from IMDB makes it even better The chapter is reportedly inspired by a real life event that happened when a fully costumed Boris Karloff as the Frankenstein monster traveled to the hospital where he had just become a father.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Most of it is quality. But be warned that there's something profoundly wrong with the encoding of the copies on Netflix streaming. Many of them look like they're running at 20 frames per second or less, very jerky. The show was famous for being overproduced, shot on 35mm film, etc. - it's a shame that their versions are so hosed-up looking.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

The classic episode that everyone remembers is S1E5, "The Mission". It was the other episode beside the pilot that was directed by Spielberg. If the whole series was that good it would have run for years. It also would have been the most expensive television shows ever made (I recall hearing at the time that this episode was the most expensive hour of television made to that point but I can't find proof of that).

I feel like I would like the V/H/S movies better without the found footage structure. They would be a pretty good horror anthology without it. As it is, the format strains the storytelling of the movie.

Also I laughed in the first segment of V/H/S2 when they had to gently caress the ghosts away. I don't think that was the effect they were going for.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like I would like the V/H/S movies better without the found footage structure. They would be a pretty good horror anthology without it. As it is, the format strains the storytelling of the movie.

Also I laughed in the first segment of V/H/S2 when they had to gently caress the ghosts away. I don't think that was the effect they were going for.

I think they're too interested in twisting the idea. Bionic eye camera, helmet cam, dog cam, documentary crew, etc.

I'd like them to do some period segments taking place in the past if they're doing another, more like 10/31/1998, where people are using VHS cameras.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 25, 2013

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: Does anyone know why Deborah Reed, Troll 2's villainous Creedence Leonore Gielgud, didn't make an appearance at all in Best Worst Movie? I'd have loved to have seen what she's doing now and some of her insights.
I was going to guess that their either couldn't find her or that she was too embarrassed about the movie, but then I found her site. Maybe she saw Best Worst Movie and decided she might be able to make some money off Troll 2 if she embraced it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I think they're too interested in twisting the idea. Bionic eye camera, helmet cam, dog cam, documentary crew, etc.

I'd like them to do some period segments taking place in the past if they're doing another, more like 10/31/1998, where people are using VHS cameras.

That's what pissed me off about V/H/S.

"We're gonna cash in on VHS nostalgia with this horror movie"

"Oh cool so it's gonna have segments like actually shot on VHS?"

"Nah, but you do get to watch a Skype session"!

Because when you think of VHS tapes you better think of Skype drat it!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Personperson14 posted:

That's what pissed me off about V/H/S.

"We're gonna cash in on VHS nostalgia with this horror movie"

"Oh cool so it's gonna have segments like actually shot on VHS?"

"Nah, but you do get to watch a Skype session"!

Because when you think of VHS tapes you better think of Skype drat it!

This is one of those things I can forgive, mainly because I liked the segment a lot. Not to mention that 3/5 segments were definitely VHS.

I find it weird that people seem to bitch about this so often. Does this ruin the experience for you?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I think the DVD has a special feature that is an interview with her, I can't remember why it isn't in the movie though. Compared to the rest of the cast she seemed completely normal and well-adjusted and I think she was still actively acting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parachute posted:

This is one of those things I can forgive, mainly because I liked the segment a lot. Not to mention that 3/5 segments were definitely VHS.

I think only two, right? The wraparound and the haunted house one. The rest all looked like digital.

I would've liked to see more of the VHS visual aesthetic, but it's only a minor complaint.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Parachute posted:

I find it weird that people seem to bitch about this so often. Does this ruin the experience for you?

There's a constant, "Why's the film/video set up and behaving like this?" that breaks my immersion all the time. It's even greater than the "Why are they still filming this?" problem that found footage movies often have. The actual answer is, of course, that they're shooting it as a movie instead of actually found footage. They're constantly making me think about their gimmick rather than letting it fade into the background.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think only two, right? The wraparound and the haunted house one. The rest all looked like digital.

I would've liked to see more of the VHS visual aesthetic, but it's only a minor complaint.

Wraparound, Tuesday the 17th(?), Second Honeymoon, 1998

Actually, I can't remember what the camera looked like in Second Honeymoon, now that I think about it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just watched A Band Called Death and it was pretty good. I'd encourage people to check it out, particularly if you don't already know anything about the band, because the overall trajectory their career takes is the most interesting part. The band members are so likeable and there's a lot of sad and joyful moments in the second half of the movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Random Stranger posted:

The classic episode that everyone remembers is S1E5, "The Mission". It was the other episode beside the pilot that was directed by Spielberg. If the whole series was that good it would have run for years. It also would have been the most expensive television shows ever made (I recall hearing at the time that this episode was the most expensive hour of television made to that point but I can't find proof of that).

Yeah I was going to suggest that one--it's the only episode I remember from watching it in my childhood. REALLY good episode--I thought it was part of a movie for the longest time as a kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I was going to suggest that one--it's the only episode I remember from watching it in my childhood. REALLY good episode--I thought it was part of a movie for the longest time as a kid.

It was used as part of a movie in Europe. :eng101:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parachute posted:

Wraparound, Tuesday the 17th(?), Second Honeymoon, 1998

Actually, I can't remember what the camera looked like in Second Honeymoon, now that I think about it.

Second Honeymoon looked really digital and so did Tuesday the 17th to my eyes. They're both shot with hand held cameras, but it didn't look like VHS quality.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Parachute posted:

Kind of? I just think theres a lot of interesting things they can do with the rules they've given themselves but they're immediately going for the "Ah but we didn't say we couldn't do THIS!" type things. I feel like those segments should've been explored later, in a third or fourth sequel.

I do want them to continue these movies, I just want them to think about the concept a bit more and get back to the original idea.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

wa27 posted:

I just watched A Band Called Death and it was pretty good. I'd encourage people to check it out, particularly if you don't already know anything about the band, because the overall trajectory their career takes is the most interesting part. The band members are so likeable and there's a lot of sad and joyful moments in the second half of the movie.

Dang, I just looked this up. I was hoping it was about the death metal band, Death, and their singer Chuck Schuldiner. I'll check it out though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Parachute posted:

Yeah, because the whole time I'm thinking about Tapes and digital and poo poo instead of actually paying attention to the movie. It's like they weren't thinking and just decided VHS tapes would be a cool framing devices. Which it is. It just wasn't executed very well.

mds2 posted:

Dang, I just looked this up. I was hoping it was about the death metal band, Death, and their singer Chuck Schuldiner. I'll check it out though.

Punk Death is a better band then Death metal Death, You heard it here first. Okay probably not, but still great band and documentary.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Netflix does not have Night of the Living Dead.

You know, the classic, widely known horror film that is in the public domain.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

You don't own a 88 cent dvd of the film like everyone else?

That is weird though. maybe it has something to do with prints or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've got it on DVD (is there a good Blu-Ray yet?), but I was just browsing through InstantWatcher's list of what horror titles they had, and even confirmed it on Netflix.com proper.

I imagine some of the better restorations likely cost money, but seeing as they have a not-very-good-quality transfer of White Zombie (which I think is also PD) I can't imagine why they'd say no to literal free content.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Even saying that the movie is about human gullibility is a bit of a stretch - the entire view of the narrator/movie/documentary maker/whoever was that the family had murdered the kid and didn't for a moment believe the impostor was actually the kid, and I'm not sure I'd really call the authorities gullible because if someone said "this is my kid" then sure, I'd believe them.

Wrong. It's actually the opposite of that. The documentary constructed a narrative about the susceptibility of individuals believing what they want to be true in the face of the obvious. The detective wanting the grander story and falling for the imposter's claims is no different from the family that wanted the boy back. The final shots and dialog should make this clear. I've written about it at length in this thread if you want to check those posts out.

For all the people who dislike the documentary for not matching whatever format, it's interesting how frequently those viewers seem to misinterpret (and underestimate) what is right in front of them.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 25, 2013

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

It must be on youtube.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man as rear end backwards as public domain became (virtually dead thanks to disney, aside from creative commons), situations like what happened with Romero really, really suck too. All cause of the little letter missing on the title card after an edit.

Poor guy :(

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Following is up. Interesting premise, wrapped in a by-the-books police show, written by the same guy that wrote the Scream trilogy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Man as rear end backwards as public domain became (virtually dead thanks to disney, aside from creative commons), situations like what happened with Romero really, really suck too. All cause of the little letter missing on the title card after an edit.

This is the perfect derail baitpost, even though I don't think you meant it that way. Conflating the public domain, Creative Commons, and the Berne Convention is like lighting up the sky of the entire northern hemisphere with the :spergin: signal.

On-topic:

Thanks to whatever goon recommended Hot Rod. It was delightfully stupid. I also finally watched Cashback, after seeing it for years on Instant and other places. It was pretty good!

Is that exclusive new horror show supposed to be any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Wrong. It's actually the opposite of that. The documentary constructed a narrative about the susceptibility of individuals believing what they want to be true in the face of the obvious. The detective wanting the grander story and falling for the imposter's claims is no different from the family that wanted the boy back. The final shots and dialog should make this clear. I've written about it at length in this thread if you want to check those posts out.

For all the people who dislike the documentary for not matching whatever format, it's interesting how frequently those viewers seem to misinterpret (and underestimate) what is right in front of them.
Eh, all that stuff you say about the movie would've been much clearer if it hadn't focused so much on being a lean mean thriller machine. When two people disagree about what happened, maybe it's time to go talk to a third one instead of using clever back and forth cutting between accounts to undermine one of the two people. I don't want to be manipulated into thinking one thing or another when there are obvious ways to clear all this poo poo up. Like, is the mother lying about her resistance to the blood test or about the polygraph stuff? How about we just interview some other involved people?! That might sort that poo poo right up. But no, it's got to be an intricate narrative about the willingness of people to deceive themselves, even if that means leaving out obvious things that would corroborate one person's story vs. the other's.

• Locked thread