Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings, paints, or plastic bases!

Current as of 10/25 at 9:39 PT

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that
And a total of 269 figures.

Bones II as of 10/25 at 9:39 am PT
150 figures in the core set (previously 141)
$0.66 per figure for the core set (previously $0.71)
$446 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1, 2, and 3 but none of the paints or cases (previously $319)
At a cost of $1.65 per figure if you did that (previously $1.36)
Including $50 for 40 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $1.25 per figure in Core Expansion 1
And $50 for 16 figures in Core Expansion 2
Or $3.13 per figure
And $50 for 6 figures in Core Expansion 3 (does not include the 4 terrain pieces!)
Or $8.33 per figure
For a total of 269 figures (previously 233).

Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions and add-ons.

Notes: Right now, Core Expansions 2 and 3 are way out of wack value-wise with what's unlocked, and they'll need to unlock quite a few more figures for each for them to even approach the value of Core Expansion 1, which is still lower value than the core set itself.

Because of this the total cost per figure for going all-in has actually increased in this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's been a moderate uptick in pledge activity for Bones II. October 23 went +$85k with +166 subscribers; yesterday went +$107k with +212 subscribers; and so far today we're +$78k with +135 subscribers, and it's still fairly early. Oct 24 also saw by far the largest number of new comments of the entire kickstarter, with 7857. I think the comments rate suggests subscribers are monitoring the kickstarter closely, although they also reflect the handful of surprise/bonus updates from the last two days.

Projection is showing $2.47M to $2.62M, and Trend is trending to $2.54M.

I think it's now somewhat questionable whether we'll break $3M, and very unlikely we'll touch $4m.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
According to another forum, the two barbarians added to the core set are guest sculpts from the gents over at Hasslefree miniatures, so the nudity makes a bit more sense considering their range.

Too bad they didn't go for one of their copyright-skirting figures instead, but I'm guessing reaper doesn't want to chance it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm not sure about you guys but there's very little incentive for me to raise my pledge beyond the initial, because I know I can tack on the add-ons after the fact like I did last time. I'd rather do it in one fell swoop than to tack on some add-ons now, have more unlock later, then raise it again - just let me a la carte it once.

Plus, I feel like raising my pledge by another $100 is going to have such a small impact on the overall project it's hardly worth it at this point - and the sad part is, most of these minis feel pretty "meh" compared to Bones I. There are exceptions but it just feels like the crazy value isn't there this time around.

Edit: by the bye, thanks for the people who suggested the Learn to Paint kits from Reaper. I feel like I'm pretty good with armor and clothing, but my skin keeps turning out looking like my figs either just stepped out of a tanning bed, or are rotting zombies, so I'm grabbing the Skin Tones kit.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just figure out how much you want to pledge, and put that in. You can figure out what you want exactly afterwards. Like I figured I wanted a core set, an expansion, and some random stuff, so I'm in for $200. I don't know what exactly, but it doesn't matter just yet. Just get your pledge in before it ends to help unlock other stuff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I dropped my pledge to a buck and may add a couple things with Paypal in the after-action pledge manager deal. Or may not. What tore it for me was (1) real grown up financial considerations (2) I already have a box of unpainted Mk 1 bones and (3) I'm only REALLY excited about maybe 20% of those minis, so I can pick 'em up at retail.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 25, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Otisburg posted:

(1) real grown up financial considerations

Same here, and in particular it's financially unfortunate for me (as far as pledging while the kickstarter is actually running) that they're doing it towards the end of the month when I've already spent a bunch of my entertainment budget. I'm going to have to stick with a $1 pledge and then add stuff once it's November. Sorry for not helping get us to new goals, everyone :smith:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Weirdo posted:

According to another forum, the two barbarians added to the core set are guest sculpts from the gents over at Hasslefree miniatures, so the nudity makes a bit more sense considering their range.

Too bad they didn't go for one of their copyright-skirting figures instead, but I'm guessing reaper doesn't want to chance it.

Well the male barb looks pretty close to Deathdealer at least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The risk of losing your shipping slot makes it very difficult to consider upping the pledge during the KS i think...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've done it without a problem four times already. I don't even bother to wait till it's late at night or whatever. It's really just not that big a thing, just be ready to click through the amazon payment confirmation screens quickly and you'll be fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I don't think any of the reports of people losing their spots have actually been confirmed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if those reports were just people trying to nab an earlier slot when they missed out.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Looking over these expansions again, if I were to put down that much extra cash I'd heavily lean towards skipping them all in favor of just doubling up on the core. As PnR's analysis shows it is by far the best value. Other than that, for me it is about identifying the desirable options that are at the biggest discount from the likely retail price.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm thinking about just dropping down to the core and the paint sets, as I don't really need the expansions. I don't, however, have a decent sized dragon mini, but I'm still not tempted. I was totally gonna jump on the gelatinous cube, but after seeing the translucent model, I wasn't too impressed.

So we can adjust pledges after the kickstarter ends? Or do I need to be locked in to my price before the timer is up?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you're choosing the same reward level, I don't think there's EVER a window where you lose your slot. I say this as someone who changed my pledge several times for the Cthulhu Wars KS and I never lost my slot.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of the reports of people losing their spots have actually been confirmed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if those reports were just people trying to nab an earlier slot when they missed out.

That's been my assumption; just from a programming perspective, it doesn't make sense for them to remove your slot and then re-add it when you're done updating your pledge rather than just update your pledge and, if you changed your reward level, update that at the same time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The filled out expansion 3 turned out pretty disappointing. I might just buy the IMEF squad at some point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yep.

Absolutely nothing that I'd want, and the jersey barriers are kind of silly given how easy it is to make that kind of terrain yourself.

The IMEF guys look just like the ones we got (extras of!) in Bones I, too.

e. The "Startship Door" is, in addition to being misspelled, kind of random? What can you really do with one door?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They've gone and added a Tarrasque

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
THAT is what I'm pledging for holy poo poo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Jesus, if it's a $25 at the Kickstarter then that means it's going to be another of the $50-75 ones at retail, right?

I might have to splurge on that in the pledge manager, then, because I can't look at that thing and not want one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im pretty bummed at the value of the expansions compared to the previous KS. I really hope they open the items in the expansions up to being add ons. I spent over $300 on the last KS but I'll probably only keep my core pledge for this one. There are 1 or 2 items in each expansion I like, but so many terrain pieces that feel like poor value.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I on the other hand see a few terrain pieces I'd love to have by themselves but they insist on putting them with minis I will never use, and I could get the terrain cheaper as resin.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

signalnoise posted:

I on the other hand see a few terrain pieces I'd love to have by themselves but they insist on putting them with minis I will never use, and I could get the terrain cheaper as resin.

Yeah i got some armorcast jersey barriers cheap years ago. And dragons teeth are trivial to make yourself. Expansion #3 is officially dead to me.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I would happily throw some money at them for individual items, but I sure don't want to pay the full $50 for the few items I want.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Holy balls, that terrasque.

I mean, I can't see myself buying it, and even if I did, I can't see myself PAINTING it, but drat if it isn't cool. That along is probably going to bump the pledges by a few grand.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pledging for 26 bucks so I can get a tarrasque.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What the hell is a Tarrasque and why (other than it being a huge "mini") does everyone seem to care?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Indolent Bastard posted:

What the hell is a Tarrasque and why (other than it being a huge "mini") does everyone seem to care?

It's a traditional capstone D&D monster. High regeneration, ridiculous magic resistance and defenses, can only be killed by beating it far below 0 hp and using a wish on it. Every kid that plays D&D dreams of having his character beat one (or plays munchkin games and beats a bunch of them, despite there only being one per world).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Goddamn it, I didn't even know I needed a kaiju.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the core set vs. the Vampire pledge from the first Kickstarter: the figures in this one average quite a bit bigger. There were only maybe four large figures in the original core that I remember: Storm and cloud giants, griffon, and owlbear. The rest were medium or smaller. This time around, there are a lot more large figures, and more that verge between medium and large (like the gnolls and bugbears, minotaurs, and so forth). They're aiming for about $500 worth of bones in the core (and are pretty close already), which is what the individual figures of the Vampire level ended up at.

Core Expansion 1 has even more (and even bigger) minis involved, with the goroloth, stone giant, dragon turtle and so forth.

So, a straight 1-1 comparison isn't quite fair. You also have to factor in how much they're likely to cost. And, most importantly, how much it would cost you at retail. Obviously, if you want less than fifty bucks worth of stuff from an expansion, it makes zero sense to get it. Same with less than a hundred on core.

I do think Expansion 1 is the best of the expansions. Even Expansion 3 is, if you want that stuff, worth the fifty bucks. Interestingly, with 3, I've heard a lot of complaints, but almost none about the same things. The terrain's attracted the most complaints, especially the not-tardis, but there are people who want it. Others bitched a great deal about the fantasy stuff, saying that no one buys fantasy minis anymore, and they needed to sell things that could be used in sci-fi games like WH40K instead of marketing to "dying grognards."

I think next time they do a Kickstarter, they're less likely to go with expansions. It was an interesting idea, but they've got such a broad swath of things they want to sell, it's hard to put together an entire package that no one's going to complain about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What Terrasque? All I see is a 1:1 scale baby Deathclaw.

(That I'm buying the hell out of.)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

They would have to dump a swarm of zerganid into exp 3 to get me to buy in.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's basically the end boss of D&D since 2nd. It's the iconic "you can't beat this thing without first going on several quests to get mythical weapons to defeat it and even then you're probably hosed" monster, who slumbers underground most of the time but awakens once every long-rear end time to murder the countryside.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Does anyone have the $30 figure case? Is that worth getting for storing painted Bones or should I just keep them in a baggie or something? Where do people keep 200+ figs anyway?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's basically the end boss of D&D since 2nd. It's the iconic "you can't beat this thing without first going on several quests to get mythical weapons to defeat it and even then you're probably hosed" monster, who slumbers underground most of the time but awakens once every long-rear end time to murder the countryside.

It's also a real-world mythological beast and the model makes for a great kaiju for any sort of game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ritorix posted:

Does anyone have the $30 figure case? Is that worth getting for storing painted Bones or should I just keep them in a baggie or something? Where do people keep 200+ figs anyway?

I got two last time and regret it -- I could have had $60 more in minis. Far too many don't fit in the existing foam spaces (either too small or too big). I have been keeping mine in a Plano box, and since I'm not worried that much about my terrible paint jobs, will be my solution going forward.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you seal them well you can throw them in pretty much any sort of box as long as they don't get jostled around too much. I've always used foam because a lot of metal minis are super fragile and bones don't really suffer from that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Weirdo posted:

Well, he was also listed as the sculptor in the very update that announced the barbarians. I dunno, I like his work on the whole-- not everything, by any stretch, but he's got a lot of models I do like.

I don't even know that I dislike the barbarian woman in a vaccuum (the look works for me as a barbarian) or as part of the Bones set as a whole (one model with a boob out of this pile is a reasonable proportion to me), it's just when she's directly placed in a set with the male barbarian that I have an issue with her pose. I feel like it's primarily a comparative issue rather than an intrinsic one.

So while she's probably one of the ones I'll actually paint, the male of the set, if I paint him at all, will probably be kept nowhere near her.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

homullus posted:

I got two last time and regret it -- I could have had $60 more in minis. Far too many don't fit in the existing foam spaces (either too small or too big). I have been keeping mine in a Plano box, and since I'm not worried that much about my terrible paint jobs, will be my solution going forward.

Alright then I'm just going to swap it out for more paints or something. Those seem like a deal.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

God drat, I want a tarrasque. When do the actual funds get withdrawn? I may have to work this into the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Lord Frisk posted:

God drat, I want a tarrasque. When do the actual funds get withdrawn? I may have to work this into the budget.

Oct 26, 6pm CDT. Got until the end of the year to settle up and add on though.

• Locked thread