Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I've only just started Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice and it is loving great. Having this much Unwritten to read all at once is a delight of which I am not worthy.

Oh my god it's so good.

It's so good, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh my god it's so good.

It's so good, you guys.

That it is. It's nice to have proper Unwritten back after a few issues of the (hopefully soon to end) Fables cross-over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

d34dm34t posted:

That it is. It's nice to have proper Unwritten back after a few issues of the (hopefully soon to end) Fables cross-over.

Two more issues of The Should Not Have Been Written, then normal service resumes in the New Year. Beware the numbering reboot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone read the Witching Hour anthology?
I liked the last couple, but not many of the creators grabbed me on this one.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, aside from a couple in the middle, it really disappointed me after the American Vampire anthology :smith:

At least Trillium continues to be good, and Hinterkind seems like it could be pretty interesting as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, aside from a couple in the middle, it really disappointed me after the American Vampire anthology :smith:

At least Trillium continues to be good, and Hinterkind seems like it could be pretty interesting as well.

Hinterkind was much better when it was called I Am Legend and written by Richard Matheson.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely some Earth Abides/The Stand, also. It also kind of made me wonder if it was taking some pages from Saga's book, but Edginton's done this sort of bizarro-fantasy setting on and off for a while, now.

But I thought it was decent, and the premise definitely has a lot of promise, but the first issue didn't really grab me entirely. I think part of it was that the dialogue seemed a bit strange. It's definitely different from Edginton's usual characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone recommend Coffin Hill?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat if Brother Lono doesn't get better with every issue. I've taken to re-reading through the entire thing when an new issue comes out just to refresh my self. I really should just wait for the trade.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just finished the latest Fables. I know its gone to poo poo, but that was a surprising tear-jerker at the end.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Are Federal Bureau of Physics or Trillium worth picking up? They both seem interesting, but I haven't heard much about either of them.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I've been enjoying Trillium so far, though it helps if you can dig Lemire's style.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Trillium's been magnificent so far. The art is gorgeous and the story is majestically romantic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Trillium is interesting, but it's really not my thing. I dropped it after the last issue. At the very least, it's worth checking out because I think this is a story that you will either immediately fall in love with or just not care about.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Other than the stories inside Absolute Death are there any other stories about her?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Other than the stories inside Absolute Death are there any other stories about her?
There was that issue of Cornell's Action Comics run where she and Luthor hung out (it was pretty good! and Gaiman-approved!) and a controversial issue of Captain Atom back in the day where I think it's said that she is but one aspect of "death".

edit: Oh hey there wikipedia

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice was really good. Wilson Taylor is such an unnerving character. Hearing him dispassionately narrate his plans for Tom's life before he is even born and the way he took advantage of Sue's depression was creepy as poo poo. Even when Tom wins, it's like, yeah, but gently caress Wilson for being right.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
So in spite of whatever Fables nonsense was going on in Unwritten #54, the conclusion of the arc was both a classic demonstration of Mike Carey's superlative writing talents and yet another example of Peter Gross's nigh-limitless versatility. I'm going to hate to have to wait three months for the next issue but MAN, that ending was crazy good.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

So in spite of whatever Fables nonsense was going on in Unwritten #54, the conclusion of the arc was both a classic demonstration of Mike Carey's superlative writing talents and yet another example of Peter Gross's nigh-limitless versatility. I'm going to hate to have to wait three months for the next issue but MAN, that ending was crazy good.

I read and really liked a bunch of Unwritten back when it was in the teens to early twenties. But it was such a dense comic that it was tougher for me to keep up with monthly at the time, and I decided I was going to wait for the complete story.

But now we have a volume ending. Think it would be a good time for me to pick up? (Also, if I've already hit Sandman, Preacher, Y: the Last Man, think it should be my next big Vertigo comic? Deciding between it and Scalped. Or possible Lucifer, though the first two are more immediately interesting to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scalped is really good and it probably helps to read it in one sitting, I was reading the trades as they came out and couldn't remember what the hell happened between each volume as the story sometimes veers off into side-tales.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Scalped is really good and it probably helps to read it in one sitting, I was reading the trades as they came out and couldn't remember what the hell happened between each volume as the story sometimes veers off into side-tales.

Scalped is amazing. It had it's issues with pacing here and there but it got really tense especially since every one was a rotten person and you're just trying to figure out who's going to come out on top.

I haven't gotten around to reading The Other Side but I really should since it seems he's doing superhero work mainly now. Which I get, gotta make a paycheck, but I would really like to see him do some more original stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Volume posted:

Scalped is amazing. It had it's issues with pacing here and there but it got really tense especially since every one was a rotten person and you're just trying to figure out who's going to come out on top.

I haven't gotten around to reading The Other Side but I really should since it seems he's doing superhero work mainly now. Which I get, gotta make a paycheck, but I would really like to see him do some more original stuff.

You're in luck, he's doing Southern Bastards at Image soon-ish. It's described as Dukes of Hazzard by the Coen Brothers, and between that and Jason Aaron's name on it I'm super excited. The Other Side is great, too, probably my favorite not-Ennis comic about Vietnam.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

redbackground posted:

There was that issue of Cornell's Action Comics run where she and Luthor hung out (it was pretty good! and Gaiman-approved!) and a controversial issue of Captain Atom back in the day where I think it's said that she is but one aspect of "death".

edit: Oh hey there wikipedia

I actually asked Keith Giffen if there were any sort of problems or issues arising out of Death appearing in that issue of Legion at a convention. He said "Not really." By the way, the appearance is just that, she literally appears in a single panel. Doesn't say or do anything. The story is presented as a prose news report about the destruction of Earth with large images, not a traditional comic.

By the way, is it outside of the realm of this thread to talk about other DC published comics that either pre-date the imprint, beyond the ones that transitioned into actual Vertigo books? Or later ones that fit the "Vertigo spirit"? Like, it's a straight up superhero comic, but the "5 Years Later" Legion fits the mold of what I'm talking about.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 26, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read the last issue of Hellblazer and do not understand the final panel. What happened to John?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baron Bifford posted:

I read the last issue of Hellblazer and do not understand the final panel. What happened to John?

He died.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
No, he was in a pub, looking distressed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baron Bifford posted:

No, he was in a pub, looking distressed.

The pub was called the Long Journey's End. He's toast.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh, so is that the afterlife or something? I thought the pub name was a reference to the series (after all, you can see the names of all the past writers on the shelves).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Baron Bifford posted:

Oh, so is that the afterlife or something? I thought the pub name was a reference to the series (after all, you can see the names of all the past writers on the shelves).

That alone is pretty thematically indicative that things are over, when you think about it.,

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah, I get that, but what is that place? Is this a Gainax Ending?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I took it as if they wanted to bring him back, but until they do he is dead and drinking in a pub is his fate. They fact he is not suffering in hell shows that he won and is a happy ending anyways.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So it's like the ending to Monkey Island 2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bobkatt013 posted:

I took it as if they wanted to bring him back, but until they do he is dead and drinking in a pub is his fate. They fact he is not suffering in hell shows that he won and is a happy ending anyways.

He's in the pub where he meets FutureConstantine, leading directly into Twilight of the Superheroes.

(not really, but that would be pretty sweet. Is anyone from DC reading? They can poo poo on Alan Moore in like 4 different ways here).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FilthyImp posted:

He's in the pub where he meets FutureConstantine, leading directly into Twilight of the Superheroes.

(not really, but that would be pretty sweet. Is anyone from DC reading? They can poo poo on Alan Moore in like 4 different ways here).

I give them a year before Johns does it as a Justice League crossover.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dickeye posted:

You're in luck, he's doing Southern Bastards at Image soon-ish. It's described as Dukes of Hazzard by the Coen Brothers, and between that and Jason Aaron's name on it I'm super excited. The Other Side is great, too, probably my favorite not-Ennis comic about Vietnam.

You just made my day.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

The pub was called the Long Journey's End. He's toast.

Hell is other people (who live in a mobile home park).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

onefish posted:

I read and really liked a bunch of Unwritten back when it was in the teens to early twenties. But it was such a dense comic that it was tougher for me to keep up with monthly at the time, and I decided I was going to wait for the complete story.

But now we have a volume ending. Think it would be a good time for me to pick up? (Also, if I've already hit Sandman, Preacher, Y: the Last Man, think it should be my next big Vertigo comic? Deciding between it and Scalped. Or possible Lucifer, though the first two are more immediately interesting to me.

It's definitely a good time to get caught up on Unwritten, even though they're two volumes worth of issues behind as far as published trades.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
J.H. Williams III, people. :stare:

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
A book by Neil Gaiman and J.H. Williams III sounds so tempting. Would I have to have read all of Sandman to get Overture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thurm posted:

A book by Neil Gaiman and J.H. Williams III sounds so tempting. Would I have to have read all of Sandman to get Overture?

Sandman is on sale this week on Comixology this week if you do intend to catch up.
http://www.comixology.com/The-Sandman-Overture-1-Plus-Sale/comics-collection/1572
I just started, myself :)

• Locked thread