Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Losers unify, everyone else retains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em: blah

No unification, challengers turn champs into chumps.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

Analysis
Kind of a rough final month but really that's a good thing for 90% of owners in a given EC. Top priority should be acquiring a real shortstop, followed by improved pitching.

Still waiting on my mystery gift since you missed my birthday :mad:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Joke's on you Beet, Jim Kaat is actually the codename of a baseball robot designed to bean hitters and throw Sub 3-ERA ball 24/7. His only weakness is that he never learned how to love. He will dominate the super league and possibly usher in a new era of dingerless games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pick 'em: Now infused with cilantro!

champs retain

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Well this just sucks.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Pick 'em: Now infused with cilantro!

Losers unify, everyone else retains.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

kensei posted:

Still waiting on my mystery gift since you missed my birthday :mad:

I'm just the guy who ran this season's expansion cup. You'll have to harass Smasher about any promises of mystery gifts.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XI, Week 24: No Sleep 'Til Week 26

Games Of the Week

Don May posted:

SONNY SIEBERT ONE-HITS TORNADOS, COBURNS TAKE 2ND WILDCARD LEAD

Cancun- It was UltimoDragonQuest's terrible, horrible, very bad, no good day.

Sonny Siebert, it ought to be noted, is not a bad pitcher. In fact, he made the all-star team twice in his career, and a solidly above-average starter. That said, a good Super-League lineup should not be one-hit by Sonny Siebert under any circumstances, and especially not when they're trying to prevent a sweep at home by the team trailing right behind them in the wildcard standings. It is simply something that a team cannot afford to do.

And yet it happened. The Tornados could only manage a single hit, a seventh-inning single by Snider to lead off the inning that, like everything else the Tornados tried today, ultimately came to nothing. It was a crushing loss for the Tornados, who now find themselves trailing the Coburns in the wildcard hunt, and whose hitting attack looks increasingly powerless.

But the Tornados' loss is the Coburns' game, and Warm Sarsaparilla's accomplishment was feted by none other than his fellow Syndicate member, and long-time Tornados nemesis, Viscount Slim, owner of the Burma Imperialists. "I would like to applaud my brother for dealing with the Tornado menace once and for all. For too long, this villainous team of luchadors has tainted the Memento Mori Division with their boorish and overly ethnic exploits. Despite my best efforts, I have been able to crush them myself, but, with the Coburns by my side, the day may finally come when the Tornados are wiped from this league, and the pages of history once and for all. And on that day, I promise to drink a cup of Madeira wine in their honor, as that is as close to Mexican cuisine as I care to go."

Warm Sarsaparilla spoke next, "While I myself don't share the same sort of animus towards the Tornados, I can't say I'm much put out to see them beaten thusly. I reckon that it's just the will of Coburn that these here Tornados go down to perdition and I rise up to face the Losers in the playoffs again. It's the natural order of things. The Losers may beat one of us, but they ain't gonna beat all of us. We'll wear 'em down, and we'll break 'em. And then we'll pick up the pieces. It ain't evil, it's just good teamwork."

As for UltimoDragonQuest, he was a bit less coherent, "I...but...how...but...I...he...we...no....what?! Are you loving kidding me! I loving get hosed over by Marauder again? This is loving bullshit! gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. And kw0134 is still suing me for slander, probably because he needed something to do in between blowing all the judges down at the courthouse. This is all total bullshit! gently caress!"

GAME NOTES

-Marauder sent Warm Sarsaparilla a basket of oranges as a reward for sweeping the Tornados, and also to stave off scurvy.

-The Coburns' defense is still about the grimmest thing ever, with Ryne Sandberg the only good fielder in the lineup, and he was only starting due to a minor injury to Rod Carew, who is a bad fielder himself. Going into the post-season, where the Coburns are likely to face the Losers and their exceptional pitching staff in the first round, should they win the wildcard playoff, one has to wonder whether this will come back to bite them in the tighter playoff games.

-But seriously, UltimoDragonQuest, I feel like the angry spirit of Willie Stargell has returned to this earth and is haunting the Super-League, forcing your Willie Stargell to sabotage your team.

Box Score

Don May posted:

TRUES EVENTUALLY REMEMBER HOW BASEBALL WORKS, BEAT MAD KNIGHTS 1-0

Everett, Wa.- One would think that a team with the Outfield of Doom would not be tied 0-0 with the Mad Knights after nine innings.

In fact, given the way that the Trues' season has gone, them being involved in some sort of 10-10 slugfest would have made much more sense. After all, the Trues' pitching has been downright abysmal at times this season.

And, eventually, the Trues did remember who they were, and Ted Williams crushed a Jonathan Papelbon home run to win the game, and that was that. Asked for what took him so long, Ted Williams explained that, "I was just thinking about the old days on the Newport Sharks, writing all those letters to Successful Student. Those were good times. Wait, no they weren't, I was angry all the time. They were memorable times, I guess. Sure, Student may have done something stupid every other day, but he had soul, he had passion. McFreeze? Sometimes I think he's just a really poorly programmed chatbot. Man's got no fire for the game. And it's eating me up inside!"

McFreeze didn't respond to Williams' comments, and instead continued pressuring writers into embracing the Everett Trues concept, "Granted, a lot of these comics aren't quite as topical today as they were in 1910, but I think most of them hold up. Like this one where an Irish woman tells Everett to "Kiss me, I'm Irish", and he punches her in the face and says "Well then, kiss my ire." Now, I know that in this P.C. era, that a lot of you aren't going to be cool with Everett True just going around beating up women, but she was Irish, okay? Now this next one, you've got what appears to be King Leopold II of Belgium, and he's getting his right hand cut off by Everett True, who says, "Give me a hand cleaning up the Congo Free State!" Huh. Well, I guess you really had to be there at the time. Okay...here's another one, and it has a cameo from Lillian Russell. You all know who that is, right? Because I don't know who that is. Okay, maybe, I'm not selling this whole Everett True thing as well as I could, but I'm telling you, Smasher, this thing could be huge, and I really mean that."

As for Pash, he had already left the stadium by the time he was due to speak to the press. So, there. Done.

GAME NOTES

-Hey, what do you want from me? I've never loving played Dragon Warrior Monsters, I don't want to make another Pokemon joke, and I don't really know Pash well enough to come up with another gimmick for him. And writing is hard! Especially writing that isn't terrible. You know what happened to the last guy in the LP subforum who tried to write creatively about Pokemon? It went so loving terribly wrong that it literally got the entire genre of Pokemon banned from the LP forum. BANNED! You know the only other thing that got banned from the forum? Hentai games. This Pokemon fanfic was so bad that it was essentially adjudged to be as harmful to the psyche as a hentai game. Think about that! You want the entire Super-League destroyed, is that what you want? No. You don't. So I did what I had to when I cut this update short, and I'll do what I have to regarding the Mad Knights in the future. I'm not going to pretend that it's going to be fun, but I've got to think about what's best for the future.

-And for the record, here's a summary of every main Pokemon game so far:

Generation One: Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow

A young pre-teen sets out on a journey to become a Pokemon master by enslaving wild creatures and forcing them to fight against other monsters for his own amusement. Along the way, he stops a vaguely defined evil conspiracy.

Generation Two: Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal

A young pre-teen sets out on a journey to become a Pokemon master by enslaving wild creatures and forcing them to fight against other monsters for his own amusement. Along the way, he stops a vaguely defined evil conspiracy.

Generation Three: Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald

Generation One Redux: Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen

Generation Four: Pokemon White, Black and Platinum

Generation Five: Pokemon X and Y

Box Score

Don May posted:

PIRATES FINISH DROPPING HAMMER, COMPLETE SWEEP OVER COLLIDERS WITH 7-2 WIN

Moncton- Theoretically, the Sic Transit Vir race continues, as the Pirates are only five games up with two weeks to go in the season. It remains possible, though unlikely, that the Colliders can make up that deficit in that time span.

Of course, that would require one to ignore the fact that they just lost four straight to their oldest rivals, the Somali Pirates, which is how the Pirates' lead got so large in the first place. And while the Colliders thankfully do not have to face the Pirates again during the regular season, it is hard to have much confidence in a team that just got so thoroughly dismantled in their biggest series of the season.

And the game was not even that close. True, the Colliders scored in the bottom of the first to take a 1-0 lead, but the Pirates tied the game in the top of the second, and then took a 2-1 lead in the top of the third, a lead they would hold onto the rest of the way to take their fourth straight game in Moncton. It was a quite the rout, and the Pirates now looked primed to make another deep playoff run, with their first-round opponent at this time likely being the Burma Imperialists who, thanks to the Syndicate's demolition of the Cancun Tornados, now have a six-game lead in their own division. Neither the Pirates nor Imperialists, though, are apt to take the #1 seed away from the Rockford Losers, who appear to be basically unstoppable at this point, although, for better or worse, the Pirates and Losers are scheduled for a four-game set next week that could very well preview the upcoming Dynamo League Championship Series.

Having all but vanquished his foe, Beet boasted that, "I have no fear of the Rockford Losers. I am the reigning Dynamo League Champions, not them. They say that they would have won the Dynamo League last year if they had not been on hiatus. But I do not deal in counterfactuals. I do not care to imagine a world where the Confederacy won the Civil War, the German Empire won the first World War, or a universe where Aaron Rodgers was not the greatest quarterback in human history. So, I do not care to imagine what would have happened if the Losers had played in the Super-League last season. I know only that I did play in that season, and that I came within one game of becoming the Super-League Champion. This season, the Pirates will take that final step towards greatness, and the Losers will not stop us. Humungus may frighten the children, but I am a pirate. I have illegally torrented far worse things than him, he will not intimidate me. As for the Colliders, I wish them well in the wildcard race."

The strain of losing the game appeared to snap theacox's mind, although seeing as he's also been a rather vague and erratic figure, it's hard to say for sure, "AS YOU, BEET, AND YOUR PIRATES TRAVEL TO THE PLAYOFFS BY NORMAL MEANS, THE PLANE YOU TRAVEL IN BEGINS TO EXPERIENCE MALFUNCTIONS! AS YOU REALIZE THAT ALL THAT IS LEFT IS TOTAL COLLISION, DO YOU, BEET, SHOW SELF-PITY? DO YOU, BEET, TRY AND REASON WHY? DO YOU, BEET, TRY AND COMFORT THE PIRATES THAT HAVE EVEN MORE FEAR THAN YOU? OR DO YOU, BEET, KICK THE DOORS OUT? KICK THE COCKPIT DOOR DOWN? TAKE THE TWO PILOTS THAT HAVE ALREADY MADE MADE THE SACRIFICE SO THAT YOU CAN FACE THE CHALLENGE! DISPOSE OF THEM, BEET. ASSUME THE CONTROLS, BEET! SHOVE THAT CONTROL INTO A NOSEDIVE, BEET! PUSH YOURSELF TO TOTAL COLLISION! AS YOU REALIZE, BEET, THAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER A WORLD CLOSE TO CERN! AH, SMELL IT, COLLIDERS! DO YOU, BEET, LOOK FOR A PLACE TO HIDE? OR DO YOU, BEET, FACE THE TEAM THAT MAY BE EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU, BEET! WE, BEET, MUST COLLIDE SO THAT YOU WILL KNOW, WHO IS THE CHOSEN ONE! FOR BEET, I AM NOT THE CHOSEN ONE...THAT YOU SPEAK OF! I AM NOT, BEET. I AM...THE DOUBLE RUTH!" Experts agree that theacox's speech, which appears to be largely lifted from the Ultimate Warrior, is clear evidence that stress of the division race has begun to wear upon the Colliders owner. It may also, be the case, that, in fact, theacox is preparing to unleash the full power of Destrucity upon the world.

GAME NOTES

-The Pirates drew eight walks, the Colliders drew one. So, there was a damned good reason why the Pirates won this game.

-Noodles the Pitcher won the game, and improved his record to 15-3. As to how this is possible, Noodles explained that, "Ah, well, you know, it all goes back to how I got the name in the first place. You see, I was down by the railyard when-" The rest of this story has been censored both because it is horrifying and, one hopes at least, anatomically impossible, even if your name is "Noodles".

Box Score

Don May posted:

W'S DRUB PLUNDER CORP., MOVE INTO WILDCARD SPOT

Wilmington- It must be said that for a team that's faced as many setbacks as the W's, they keep fighting.

Granted, at a certain point, you have to wonder whether that's perseverance or insanity and whether, when you come right down to it, the only difference between the two is a matter of degrees.

And, speaking of insanity, Rob Dibble is still the closer for the Eazy W's, and it is still going terribly wrong most times. In today's game, the W's held a 5-3 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, but that quickly fell apart as Rob Dibble found himself unable to do anything right, walking the first two batters of the inning before giving up an RBI single and a sacrifice to leave the game tied 5-5 with a runner on first and only one out. It appeared that the W's were in serious trouble, especially with Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols up next. But that's when Dibble reminded everyone why ForeverBWFC has stuck by him for so long as Dibble, apparently unfazed by his blunders thus far, struck both sluggers out to send the game into extra innings.

Given new life, the W's found a second win as Babe Ruth doubled, and Al Simmons homered to give the W's their two-run lead back. In the bottom of the inning, Dibble was once more ineffective, giving up a leadoff single to Nomar Garciaparra before striking out Oscar Charleston for the first out. With Dibble not having the greatest stamina in the world, ForeverBWFC elected to summon Eri Yoshida from the bullpen, but, before he could make the call, he was tackled by Mark Bellhorn, Darren Daulton and Howard Johnson. They were men of great sabermetric renown and knew that sending in Yoshida into the game would surely spell their teams doom. Instead, they had Adam Dunn, known for his outstanding impersonation of a British accent, call the bullpen and send for Dave Smith, who quickly got the last two outs of the game for the win.

Despite almost catastrophic mistake, ForeverBWFC was still upbeat, as, with the win, the W's moved into a tie for the wildcard lead and, if the season ended today, would make the playoffs. Still, he was somewhat troubled, "Good win today, lads, but I'm afraid that it's not all good news. Today, I think it's time I had a frank and honest discussion about one of the greatest stains on my home country's honour. I am, of course, referring to that sack of poo poo Eric Clapton. He is overrated, and, let's be honest, a deeply racist guy. He supported Enoch Powell, for god's sake! Listen, you want to say he's a great guitarist? Fine, I don't dispute that! But what else has he got? I guess there's Cream, but that's pretty much just consigned to movie soundtracks that need some music that says that "this scene takes place in the '60s, dudes!". Or loving Layla. Motherfucking Layla. So, today, I'd like to apologize to the people of the world for well, 90% of Eric Clapton's musical output, I guess. It's a real shame, and I feel terrible about it."

As for the Plunder Corp., CthulhuDreams asserted that, "The words 'fiduciary duty' have become overused in the ongoing discussion about corporate governance. I say that, as shareholder, I'm owed a certain share of the profits from this team that I have invested in. Basic fairness dictates that I should be allowed to take a dividend of a player or two to take for my new team. It's not me looting the Plunder Corp., it's just rewarding me for the time and effort that I put into managing the Plunder Corp. And that is why I am petitioning Smasher Dynamo to allow me to take Satchel Paige as my fair payment for a season's worth of work. If anything, it's a pretty small price to pay!"

GAME NOTES

-Tom Glavine has not been terrible for the W's this season. That is truly odd.

-Okay, Plunder Dudes, so Oscar Charleston is having a bad year. But look at Riggs! He's doing great! See, it all evens out in the end. Sort of.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

For the Gauntlet, my advice to put the lineup out there that seems like it would be the best, and hope you get lucky with the ratings rolls.

Analysis

Ubaldo is the man who will dig your grave.

Analysis

Not a good week, but the Tornados had a worse one, so it's mainly academic.

Analysis

Shame about losing the division, probably, but IT'S TIME TO LOAD UP THE ROCKET FUEL AND BLAST OFF TO FIGHT THE WARRIORS IN THE SKY!

Analysis

Well, you'll get another chance to take on the Coburns in the final week of the season.

Analysis

The best of the rookie teams.

This is the Super-League equivalent to the time when Michael Olowakandi got picked #1 overall.

Analysis

Coburn abides.

Analysis

The September Revolution!

Analysis

It looks like your chances of making the playoffs is going to be dependent on how many starters the Rakers rest in the last two weeks.

Analysis

The Daniel Bryan of the Super-League. Technically brilliant, but you know that they're never going to get consistently pushed.

Analysis

The glacier rolls downhill.

Analysis

Having a decent final month, at least. They might make some noise in the Gauntlet if their rotation does a bit better.

Analysis

The TWTWs are probably going to only have to win a round or two to escape the Gauntlet. Let's see if Panda Magic can turn into TWTSurvive.

Analysis

The main problem with this team is that it doesn't have that one transcendent player they can count on.

Analysis

Willie Wells should probably be the #1 pick in the dispersal draft.

Analysis

.5 games out of wildcard spot? ALL IS LOST!

Well, not really. You get to play the Longshots twice, while the Trues play the Rakers twice. So, that's a huge advantage. Plus, there's a decent chance that Marauder will pull all of his starters for the final week of the season to prevent injuries.

Analysis

Great pitching, no hitting. True in life, true in death.

Analysis

Rolling towards oblivion.

Analysis

One more good week, and the Symphony will lock up their third straight division crown with three different teams.

Analysis

I really hope the Gravediggers survive. They had a lot of bad luck with their pitching, and I'd love to see them get healthy.

Analysis

Hey, at least you held on your titles...barely.

Analysis

Running on empty.

Analysis

The Bangers and Trues get another season of cheap wins! Huzzah!

Analysis

Can the Generics barely escape death yet again?

Analysis

Didn't get the unified titles back, but you got the Vae Victis Division title again. What is that, five titles in six seasons you've played?

Analysis

Great week, and the Pirates have a playoff berth pretty much locked up.

Analysis

Just when I think the W's are done, here they are.

Analysis

Sad!

Analysis

Ted Kennedy couldn't beat Jimmy loving Carter for a presidential nomination, what did you expect from a team named after him?

Analysis

Tough schedule coming up, sadly.

Analysis

I wonder how this team will roll in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Not quite time to use your new banner. Next week, I think.

Standings

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

R.I.P., Paul Molitor. That's the nail in the coffin for my season. :(

New lineup to compensate for injury concerns:
1. Hanley Ramirez (DH)
2. Robin Yount (SS)
3. Roberto Clemente (RF)
4. Sadaharu Oh (1B)
5. Bobby Bonilla (3B)
6. Mike Sweeney (C) (Joe Mauer becomes personal catcher for Johan Santana)
7. Luis Gonzalez (LF)
8. Carlos Beltran (CF)
9. Joe Morgan (2B)

I'll have faith that Mogul will choose the best possible option to DH for the one day Hanley Ramirez is out.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Good job lads! Swap Snider for Gibson for the week.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher: Will the lineup changes that I posted earlier take effect in Week 25?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Clemens into the rotation for Randy Johnson.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Pander posted:

Smasher: Will the lineup changes that I posted earlier take effect in Week 25?

Yes.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Beet posted:

I'm just the guy who ran this season's expansion cup. You'll have to harass Smasher about any promises of mystery gifts.

Yeah, I was posting at him ;)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

kensei posted:

Yeah, I was posting at him ;)

Don't worry, we're all lobbying fiercely for you to get your favorite Mariner: Jesus Montero.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If I weren't watching the midget version of Ultimo Dragon in another tab I would be so mad.

vs. RHP no DH
3B McGraw
LF Williams
CF Speaker
RF Snider
SS Banks
1B Kelley
C Kelly
2B Robinson

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Don't worry, we're all lobbying fiercely for you to get your favorite Mariner: Jesus Montero.

:stare:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

This is the appropriate response. Congrats.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Let's put Larkin back in at SS. .500 is impossible at this point but maybe my guys will at least have one game interesting enough to be a game of the week before the season is over. :v:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Wait, I might have been just skimming the posts, but my understanding is that kensei wants a midget Ultimo Dragon as his prize?

Okay, I guess I can sign off on that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Progress! .500 in reach! Redemption in the cards! It's all possible in these last two weeks, so Heath doesn't get to play anymore.

Lineup:
#1: 2B Myer
#2: CF Griffey Jr/Simmons
#3: 1B McGwire
#4: RF Manny
#5: DH Murray
#6: LF Williams
#7: C Mauer
#8: 3B Edgar
#9: SS Nomar

Please make sure to void all personal catching orders/make sure Mauer catches every game possible.

Pitching is a bit more complicated.

Go back to a 5-man rotation.
Slot Kid Nichols in at SP5 and cast Bronson Arroyo to the minors.
Turn down "start pitchers on short rest" to -5.

Hopefully this ensures that Nichols at least gets a start as soon as he's able to limp out of the DL. If not, then they'll be bringing in Big Six, so it's not a huge loss. And hopefully I can get my rotation back to some semblance of order during the last week.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Lets make a higher in the gauntlet end of the season push!

Lets go to the 4 man rotation, putting as a MRP or whatever position is created by a 4 man rotation.

Put Larkin back in at SS, Move Cecil to 3B, DiMaggio back in at CF. Have them all sit in the same lineup positions as where their respective position already is.

Make McGriff the full time 1B again, make Pujols the LF starter. Only here please Pujols as the 3rd man in the lineup and have McGriff take over the 6th spot from Crawford.

And with this line up I effectively admit that every player I have picked in a draft (not traded a draft pick for) other than Pujols and Gwynn has been a bad pick.

Edit:

To make this easier to understand:

1: Collins 2B
2: Gwynn RF
3: Pujols LF
4: Canseco DH
5: DiMaggio CF
6: McGriff 1B
7: Larkin SS
8: Travis 3B
9: Berra C

Pash fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 26, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:frogsiren: GAUNTLET RANKINGS, WEEK 24 :frogsiren:

Parenthesis still being how far you climbed based on how the last update (Week 22). The last two weeks have been a bloodbath as people jockey for position. Without further ado...

Round 1:
Brainerd Oxen (.338)
The Cosmobats (.369)
Lake Louise Longshots (.389)
Lombard St. Gumshoes v2 (.405)

Round 2:
The Ted Sox (.426)
Mercury Mets (.443) (Down 3 :smith:)

Round 3:
Alma Purifiers (.446) (Down 4)
New Vegas High Rollers (.459) (Down 4)

Round 4:
Haukness Madknights (.467) (Up 1)
Philadelphia Premodernists (.473) (Down 7)

Round 5:
Hawk City TWTWs (.480) (Up 5)
Tudor Misers (.480) (Up 5)

Round 6:
Strickland Propane (.483) (Down 1)
Nurnberg Gravediggers (.486) (Down 1)

Round 7:
Connecticut Thunderstorms (.490) (Down 1)
Rochester Generics OR Canton Calamities (.493) (Calamites Up 3/Rochester Down 2)

Round 8:
Rochester Generics OR Canton Calamities (.493)
Oklamhoma City Bombers (.513)

TEAMS THAT HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF THE GAUNTLET SINCE LAST UPDATE:
Plunder Corp, LLC (cashed in THE BOOOOOX, would have been Round 2.)

TEAMS THAT HAVE FALLEN INTO THE GAUNTLET SINCE THE LAST UPDATE:
Oklahoma City Bombers

At this point, it's unlikely most anyone else will be dropping into the Gauntlet. It's also unlikely that the Thunderstorms, Generics, or Calamities will be able to move out of the Gauntlet with the logjam provided by the OKC Bombers, so unless one of them have a 7-0 week, there's mostly going to be jockeying for position there.

Biggest loser in the last two weeks is the PreMos, without contest. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but it was a bloodbath on their end.

With this, only two weeks remain. I'd say probably at the least anyone Round 4 and above can reasonably snag a higher position if they punch above their weight class the last two weeks.

Fight on, Calamities. We aren't finished yet. :unsmith:

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

With everything locked up and nothing of consequence left to play for, I guess I can start cycling down my starters for the last couple weeks. Would've been nice to take back my grand slam titles, but that will have to wait for another time.

Break the personal catcher orders, I'll just run a platoon for the last 2 weeks. New lineups follow:

vs RHP
2B Alomar
CF Speaker
SS Cronin
LF O'Doul
RF Oliva
1B Youkilis
C Dickey
3B Frisch
P Pitcher

vs LHP
CF Charleston
1B Thomas
C Torre
RF Robinson
LF O'Doul
3B Youkilis
2B Kent
SS Jeter
P Pitcher

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

On the flip side to my nemesis above, I need to drive a stake through the heart of the Colliders and bury them now. So I guess there is a mutual interest at the moment. I'm going to restore my platoons and restructure my bullpen a bit.

vs. RHP
1. RF Billy Hamilton
2. LF Rickey Henderson
3. CF Willie Mays
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. 3B Frankie Frisch
6. 2B Lou Whitaker
7. SS Joe Sewell
8. C Ernie Lombardi

vs. LHP
1. 3B Frankie Frisch
2. LF Rickey Henderson
3. CF Willie Mays
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. RF Wally Berger
6. SS Alan Trammell
7. 2B Lou Whitaker
8. C Ernie Lombardi

Bullpen
CL Trevor Hoffman
SU Jay Howell
SR Sergio Romo
SR Dave LaRoche
MR Frank Barrett
LR Johnny Sain

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

What a disaster this season turned out to be. Odds on round 6 survival is probably 0.

Carl Hubbell's back, make him be the next pitcher to start. Call Hubbell up, send Joe Smith down. Pitching staff looks like this I suppose. Mickey Mantle at first base for the rest of the season.

Rotation
1) Carl Hubbell
2) Walter Johnson
3) Rick Reuschel
4) Cy Falkenberg
5) Mel Stottlemeyer

Bullpen
Closer: Todd Worrell
Setup: Lindy McDaniel
Short Relief: Steve Hamilton
Short Relief: Antonio Osuna
Middle Relief: Tom Hughes
Long Relief: Fritz Peterson

Bye or die. That is all.

Also, this is short notice but I'd like to move Rogers Hornsby before Smasher runs the next week's sim. It'd raise my chance of survival from 0% to 0.0001% but eh. Looking for a decent 2B and an upgrade in the pen over Hamilton/Osuna.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 26, 2013

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Outstanding performance.

Please give young Ken Holtzman that start Maddux would miss.

If you'd also send down Giles and Howard in favor of Lee and Stieb on the expanded roster, I'd appreciate it.

You know, I never realized the brutality of the Belgian Congo was satirized as early as that. Huh.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Ugh. Something must be done about those Pirates.

Our dear friends and allies in Portugal do make a fine wine, do they not?

Since I got two losses off minors pitching, I'd better slide Bob Feller in for Sutton; bounce Crowder, Morris, and Lefty Williams to the minors in favor of Thornton, Smith, and Eastwick.

All of my offense, except possibly Bagwell, is performing at roughly the same level of adequacy, so I don't really know who to rest.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Check out rookie Jason Giambi and his error-free performance at third base. What's range?

Slide Launch Ballman into the RF platoon in lieu of Cobb; rest Boudreau with Larkin, and Yogi with Battey.

Thanks.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Put Bunning in for THE Thornton Lee, for the look of the thing, I guess.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Oh, look, a Philadelphia team fails to produce offense when it matters most. Imagine that. Quelle loving surprise.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Congratulations to:

The Fukuoka Finger-Bangers for becoming the Mark Bellhorn Division Champions for Super-League XI
The New World Symphony for becoming the Senor Goodtimes Division Champions for Super-League XI
The Walney Rakers for becoming the Norris-Smythe Division Champions for Super-League XI
The Burma Imperialists for becoming the Memento Mori Division Champions for Super-League XI
The Somali Pirates for clinching a playoff berth
The CERN Colliders for clinching a playoff berth

Pick em: With Your Shield or On It

Intercontinental Championship
Walney Rakers (c) @ Everett Trues (4-Game Series)

Television Championship
Nurnberg Gravediggers @ New World Symphony (c)

Canadian Championship
Tudor Misers @ Coburns (c)

Unified Hardcore and Triple Crown Championship
Cancun Tornados @ Oklahoma City Bombers (c)

Heavyweight Championship
Somali Pirates @ Rockford Losers (c) (4-Game Series)

Injury Report

Alma Purifiers
Eric Davis (CF) (Saying goodbye, going away) - Out for season

Brainerd Oxen
Barry Bonds (LF) (Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say) - Out for Season

Everett Trues
Mickey Mantle (CF) (Touching a hand, wondering why) - 11 days
Rafael Soriano (RP) (It's time for saying goodbye) - 26 days

Florida Oranges
Joe Mauer (C) (Saying goodbye, why is it sad) - Out for Season

Lombard St. Gumshoes
Jim Bunning (SP) (Makes us remember the good times we had) - Out for Season

Louisville Muggers
Joe Torre (C) (Much more to say, foolish to try) - 15 days
Eddie Plank (SP) (It's time for saying goodbye) - 23 days

Mercury Mets
Carlos Beltran (OF) (Don't want to leave, but we both know) - Out for Season

New Vegas High Rollers
Alex Rodriguez (IF) (Sometimes it's better to go) - Out for Season

Nurnberg Gravediggers
Rick Reuschel (SP) (Somehow I know, we'll meet again) - Out for Season

Philadelphia Postmodernists
Ivan Rodriguez (C) (Not sure quite where, and I don't know quite when) - Out for Season

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Why, GVOLTT? Why couldn't you just tell me what you wanted? Now a man is dead, and you're the only one to blame. I hope you realize the severity of your actions.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Why, GVOLTT? Why couldn't you just tell me what you wanted? Now a man is dead, and you're the only one to blame. I hope you realize the severity of your actions.
Because you had nothing I wanted. For fair value, of course. Plus, what about the other guys who offered you CFs?

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 26, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pick em: With Your Shield or On It

Walney Rakers (c)
New World Symphony (c)
Coburns (c)
Cancun Tornados
Somali Pirates

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

GVOLTT posted:

Plus, what about the other guys who offered you CFs?

Eh, I didn't think their guys were as good.

Expansion teams, if you want an extra 4th round pick in the upcoming draft, and to piss off Smasher at the same time, I'll trade mine for a center fielder!

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 26, 2013

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

So that makes 4/5 of my starting rotation crippled. At least there is only one week to go so change to a 4 man rotation for that.

Pick 'em

Gravediggers sweep rest retains. (Blind optimism)

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
All Champs Retain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
The Totally Unexpected, Partially Not-Made-Up, Slightly Factual, Completely Ignorant EXPANSION CUP FINALS PREVIEW!

Hi, I'm cbx and this is my story...

Nah, just kidding. This is really just an amuse-bouché before the soup course that is the EC Finals, which is the whistle-wetter before the entreé course that is the Super-League proper. So I dunno, something like a chicken a la King tartare? Anyways. I figured I'd preview the two teams fighting it out for an undetermined prize and the right to get smashed by Marauder in next season's SL. This way, if you're already going to advance to next season, you'll know how to counter them.

First up, led by the owner/manager CthulhuDreams, former owner of the Ryleh Cultists and current co-owner of the Plunder Corp, is the...

And their opponents, led by myself, the former owner of every Detroit team in the SL EVER (except for the Switchblades whom I drove out of town to Flint), is the...

I'll be previewing each position using the end-of-season stats from Beet's EC postings, so let's get started!

First Basemen

AUS: Bill Terry vs. DET: Jimmie Foxx

Bill Terry was an original member of Smasher's Macho Men, and is an outstanding 1B in his own right. He batted .300 with a .340 OBA and 16 home runs, and had 98 runs batted in. But in this matchup, he's outclassed by Jimmie Foxx in his prime, who batted .296 with 32 home runs, 112 RBI, and a .409 OBA.

Advantage: DET

Second Basemen

AUS: Charlie Gehringer vs. DET: Nap Lajoie

The Mechanical Man is a legend in the Detroit Tigers' organization, and one of my personal favorite players of all time. His batting line wasn't entirely impressive for the Thunder this season, only hitting .268 and 7 HRs, but he did have 83 RBIs. Nap Lajoie was a trade pickup for the Protectors, who sent away a reliever and a player deemed too inexperienced to crack their roster, and for the moment, the trade looks to have been quite beneficial for them, as Lajoie hit .301 in limited playing time.

Advantage: Push

Shortstop

AUS: Ernie Banks vs. DET: Abomination

Ernie Banks is Mr. Cub, although I'm sure Smasher would rather nominate Ron Santo. Banks is a decent fielding SS with excellent power in his bat for the position, and a better than normal batting average for someone with decent power. He underperformed for Cthulhu this EC, though. The Protectors have a MASSIVE hole at SS, and are using Hardy Richardson from the Boston Reds circa 1890, which won't end well since his glove is literally a piece of baby back ribs and has no actual ability to trap a baseball within its porky dimensions. Richardson supposedly has a rocket arm and great range, and is a very skilled contact hitter with great speed and a decent batting eye, but because he's so unknown, is going to be referred to as the Abomination from here forth.

Advantage: AUS

Third Basemen

AUS: Marty McManus vs. DET: Buddy Bell

Meh. Two league-average 3B. McManus's career came at the tail-end of the deadball era and he never really put up great offensive numbers, so it's hard to be excited over him. Buddy Bell seems to be his mirror-image, EXCEPT that his defensive skills are supposedly better. This didn't really show itself in the season numbers, so...

Advantage: Push

Left Fielder

AUS: Harry Rice vs. DET: Harry Stovey

This one will surprise everyone. Harry Rice was a utility guy who was decent at a lot of positions throughout his career, but posted a 105 OPS+. Harry Stovey was an outfielder by trade who put up a career 144 OPS+ and had a 165 OPS+ the year before he was drafted to the Protectors. Rice put up a higher batting average in the EC, but wasn't as much of a factor in scoring runs and batting them in as Stovey was. In the field, Rice had a higher fielding percentage and assisted on 9 putouts. Stovey has the deadball glove problem but had 20 assists in just 40 more games played.

Advantage: Push, but an arguement could be made for either team.

Center Fielder

AUS: Tris Speaker vs. DET: Wahoo Sam Crawford/Indian Bob Johnson

No contest here. Speaker is one of the game's all time greats, and put up a .326 BA/.384 OBA line with 30 stolen bases and 28 assists from the outfield, having played in all 162 games. Detroit is playing a platoon of Sam Crawford and Bob Johnson, who batted nearly as well as Speaker, but couldn't match his speed on the base paths or in the outfield. If nicknames were a determining factor, the Protectors STILL wouldn't have an advantage because The Grey Eagle is much better than Wahoo Sam or Indian Bob, both of which are demeaning to Redskins everywhere. Oops, not Redskins, Native-Americans. Sorry, Dan Snyder. Don't sue me.

Advantage: AUS by FAR

Right Fielder

AUS: Mel Ott vs. DET: Ty Cobb

This is a tough one. Mel Ott is a legendary Giant and made the Polo Grounds his bitch, with a power stroke that took advantage of the 250+ feet left and right field lines to give him a great steady power output throughout his career. He had a .252 BA with 20 homers and 102 RBIs, and a .337 OBA for the Thunder, along with an immaculate fielding percentage of .994 and 15 outfield assists. That's an impressive season by any measure. Ty Cobb is a legendary Tiger and is known for having one of the best contact bats in baseball history, having batted above .400 3 times in his career, as well as for stealing almost 900 bases in his career. He lived up to his contact/speed tradition for the Protectors, putting up a .322 BA/.383 OBA with 62 stolen bases. He was less than stellar in the outfield, but did have 17 assists of his own.

Advantage: AUS due to Ott's power and fielding. Don't be surprised if Cobb's speed does become a gamechanger, however...

Catcher

AUS: Bob O'Farrell vs. DET: King Kelly

Another no contest. Bob O'Farrell was a league-average catcher with no power. He hit .275 with 0 HRs for Cthulhu this season. King Kelly is an unsung hero, who bats for high average, races around the bases, and makes up for the wooden plank on his hand with an insane ability to handle pitchers and throw out baserunners. He put up a .312 BA with 5 HRs and a .358 OBA, and hit 91 RBIs. Truly a producer, even if his fielding percentage is a miserable .925.

Starting Rotation

I'm not going to do these individually, I'll lump the rotation together and the bullpen together in another paragraph. The Thunder have Carl Hubbell, Smoky Joe Wood, Jack Chesbro and Ray Collins. They have an effective lefty/righty mix that all put up ERAs under 3.5 in the McQueen League, which is no small feat.
However, Joe Wood is only 19, Collins is 22, and Chesbro is 35, so there are questions about their continued effectiveness, especially against a team that features mostly elite contact hitters. Deadball pitchers dampen power effectively. They DO NOT dampen contact hitting as effectively. The Protectors are going with a rotation of Walter "Big Train" Johnson in his prime, Old Hoss Radbourn (at the end of his career), a young Dave "Smoke" Stewart, and "Wild Bill" Donovan. The perceived effectiveness of this group could be rightfully called into question, because Old Hoss is old, Stewart was a recent rotational addition, and Wild Bill has every opportunity to live up to his nickname. But the Protectors put up the best team ERA in all of the EC during the regular season, and there's really no reason for that to change, from the starters' position.

Bullpen

No question here. Cthulhu managed a trade to pull some modern bullpen arms onto his sorely-lacking team, and his bullpen looks to be solid almost all the way through. Cicotte is a possible liability at the LR position, though, as knuckleballers are extremely flightly in the SL, and rarely ever work out. I, however, have patchworked my way to something resembling a bullpen, with HEN-KE as my closer and Schmidtty and Tobik being my only real relievers. The rest are a mix of 1984 Rangers' castoffs who couldn't make my rotation, as well as 1909 Tigers and 1915 Senators that also couldn't make my rotation. You can't argue too much with results, Tobik being my weak point for sure but the rest of the 'pen putting up great numbers. Doc Ayers with a 1.99 ERA? Wow.

Screw it. I'm gonna argue with results.

Advantage: AUS

Intangibles

Cthulhu is an incredibly savvy owner, known for complex trades and supreme sabermetric spergin'. I'm a Tigers homer who follows the same formula almost every time I make a team, hoping for different results each time. Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity? But c'mon, who wants to see the man behind the Cultists and the Plunder Corp actually succeed? Wouldn't you rather root for the bad-luck underdog?

So, to tally it all up, the score is 4 for AUS, 4 for DET, and 3 pushes. Pretty drat even, eh? Good luck to you, Cthulhu!