Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

JGBeagle posted:

Don't pull the "It's called Europa Universalis" card here. We can already play as Muslims and Pagans (and pretty soon, Jews as well) so I think Crusader Kings has already strayed from it's original intent.

That argument is usually trotted out when people call into question EU's eurocentrism, depiction of the rest of the world, the politics behind its depictions of colonialism, etc., and not the basic premise of the game (i.e., you play as a nation state which controls a defined territory). I mean, yeah, you aren't literally always playing as a "Crusader King", but playing as dynasties of landed nobles from a different culture is something the game is built around in a way that playing as a wandering landless adventurer isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

No, he's really not. It's a terrible idea in the first place, and he's 'defending' it with an annoying non-sequitur that doesn't even relate to the obvious problems with it.

It ain't happening.

Well if you think its a terrible idea, then why even discuss it.

Less snarkily, its a fine concept that should really be included. I don't particularly care but its a concept that is in the game that no one really does anything with and I can see its appeal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well if you think its a terrible idea, then why even discuss it.

Less snarkily, its a fine concept that should really be included. I don't particularly care but its a concept that is in the game that no one really does anything with and I can see its appeal.
Play Mount and Blade, which is actually built for pretty much exactly that. It's not even close to a good fit for the mechanics of CK2.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

Play Mount and Blade, which is actually built for pretty much exactly that. It's not even close to a good fit for the mechanics of CK2.

Mount and Blade really doesn't do anything close to that really.

Its an okay game, but it does its own thing.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Less snarkily, its a fine concept that should really be included.

I disagree. It would be similar to playing a patrician who isn't doge. You care about stuff nobody else in the game cares about, are largely powerless, and have few options to do anything at all except reactivate your ability to interact with anyone else in a meaningful way.

It's not about historicity, but rather a lack of fun things to do. It's telling that people are picking the mechanics most divorced from the game of acquiring titles and managing your dynasty, like building buildings in wormhole space, like patricians, or pulling armies out of your butt, like adventurers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mount and Blade really doesn't do anything close to that really.

Its an okay game, but it does its own thing.
Aren't we talking about landless leaders gathering a group of soldiers under their command to conquer territory of their own, possibly with the support of existing powers? That's not the whole of what Mount and Blade does, but it's certainly a big chunk of it, at least past the very early game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Strudel Man posted:

Aren't we talking about landless leaders gathering a group of soldiers under their command to conquer territory of their own, possibly with the support of existing powers? That's not the whole of what Mount and Blade does, but it's certainly a big chunk of it, at least past the very early game.

Though, to be fair, Mount and Blade with CK2 politics and traits systems would be amazing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Maybe this is only a CK2+ thing because in vanilla if the game starts at a time where Erick the Heathen is independent he is also at war with the KIng of Sweden and so far its been very frustrating.

I guess it is. I thought the extra bookmarks just provided entertaining dates that were also in vanilla rather than altering the scenario.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just installed an antipope and pressed his claim for the papacy. Now I have more money than I know what to do with. I wish I'd have done this before 1420.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Strudel Man posted:

Making people mad is a terrible motivation for anything.

I disagree. Making bigots, racists, anti-semites, sexists, etc angry is a wonderful thing.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Uhg managed to Claim Sweden and Finland as Erik the Heathen through a lot of luck but now Norway has a bit under twice the amount as men as me and Denmark has 3 times as many men as me and is allied to Norway France and Hungary. Kinda at a loss for what to do here. In 6 years Ill be allied with a mega Cumania but still they are kinda far away.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Necroneocon posted:

I disagree. Making bigots, racists, anti-semites, sexists, etc angry is a wonderful thing.
Deliberate antagonism is exactly the opposite of what gets people to change their minds. I understand that you may feel like you get a thrill out of annoying those who your social sphere identifies as Bad People, but it does nothing to help anyone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Deliberate antagonism is exactly the opposite of what gets people to change their minds. I understand that you may feel like you get a thrill out of annoying those who your social sphere identifies as Bad People, but it does nothing to help anyone.

It's funny though.

SpRahl posted:

Uhg managed to Claim Sweden and Finland as Erik the Heathen through a lot of luck but now Norway has a bit under twice the amount as men as me and Denmark has 3 times as many men as me and is allied to Norway France and Hungary. Kinda at a loss for what to do here. In 6 years Ill be allied with a mega Cumania but still they are kinda far away.

Break alliances with murder if you can. See if you can make easy pickups in Rus, Pomerania, or Lithuania, if they're still held by the usual vulnerable Slavic minors. If any of your enemies show weakness (civil war, a grinding external war), try and jump in and rack up warscore early so you can white peace out if allies come in against you.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Racist Poster

Once upon a time, there was a racist poster. Seriously, you are going to hate this poster. High on a thread overlooking the forum, the racist poster posted where the community was half troll. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for posts, and the racist poster would shake its keyboard and drop the delicious posts and comments that entertained without being spellchecked. The children read many of the racist poster's posts and played forum games beneath the umbrella of its racist infodumps. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just registered on the forum, to read posts around the racist poster.

"Let Sam have an post," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the poster. This shocked the children and they spoke to the poster angrily, but it would not shake its keyboard to give Sam a post, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist poster is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist poster got its name.

It was decided that if the poster was going to deny posts to Sam then nobody would read its posts. The children stopped visiting the racist poster.

The racist poster grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child posting a picture of a kite across the boards.

"Can I offer you some posts?" asked the poster eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist poster was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist poster decided that it would have to give posts to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Unlanded adventurers would be pretty fun, but at the very least I'd like to be able to play as a baron, instead of a full count.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Break alliances with murder if you can. See if you can make easy pickups in Rus, Pomerania, or Lithuania, if they're still held by the usual vulnerable Slavic minors. If any of your enemies show weakness (civil war, a grinding external war), try and jump in and rack up warscore early so you can white peace out if allies come in against you.

Stabbing is unfeasible right now everyone hates me and loves their king, paying an assassin might work to break up Norway's alliance with Denmark but its Denmark going to war with me I am worried about not Norway. Thing is Denmark is just waiting for a chance to go to war with me. I think the only thing I really can do is just to let Denmark holy war me and peace out with as little damage as possible and just try to expand as fast as I can in Rus and the Baltics before the truce expires. Problem with that is most of the easy pickins have already been taken and an extended war with someone guarantees someone is going to attack me.

I think I can use improve relations on Norway to keep them out of a war with Denamrk as his attitude toward both of us is about the same and If I can last until my heir marries the Cumanian princess they can probably balance out Hungary, so that just leaves Denmarks legions plus France whom I can probably stab but that would involve alot of save scumming the rng.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 26, 2013

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

SpRahl posted:

What is status of England? Prepare invasion on Norway, stab them until they have no allies. The prepared invasion troops should give you more than enough troops to take out an isolated Norway. Consider a blitzkrieg against Ireland as well. You can declare Conquest on almost the entire island at once and move doomstack to win all the wars.

Also, get Jomsvikings activated to help with troop numbers.

SpRahl posted:

Stabbing is unfeasible right now everyone hates me and loves their king, paying an assassin might work to break up Norway's alliance with Denmark but its Denmark going to war with me I am worried about not Norway.

Don't stab the king, stab whoever is facilitating the alliance, usually a foreign female who people may not like at all.

Or that
vvv

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 26, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If you can prep an invasion, prep it on Denmark. If the do declare on you, use the adventurers to not lose, then just bail on the wardec if it's going to be disadvantageous. (You should br able to at least dec then peace out though.)

Otherwise, go ahead and declare and shoot to at least waste the adventurers crushing Danish levies, to get you some breathing room.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Omar_Comin posted:

What is status of England?
Harald Hardrada won the war against Godwin, then lost England in a rebellion by the House of Wessex who then defeated what remained of Williams force. So its united save for Cornwall which Norawy still owns.

quote:

Prepare invasion on Norway, stab them until they have no allies. The prepared invasion troops should give you more than enough troops to take out an isolated Norway.
To big to do a prepared invasion. Actually I probably should have done that a long time ago before I mopped up the tribes but that mechanic slipped my mind :(

quote:

Consider a blitzkrieg against Ireland as well. You can declare Conquest on almost the entire island at once and move doomstack to win all the wars.
Would take to long to be of help against Denmarks impending war, though it may help to reinforce me enough to take whatever land they conquer back. Still unless Denmark gets a civil war I dont think even Ireland would put me on equal footing with their numbers.

quote:

Also, get Jomsvikings activated to help with troop numbers.
What are the exact requirements for this again?

Omar_Comin posted:

Don't stab the king, stab whoever is facilitating the alliance, usually a foreign female who people may not like at all.

King, Queen. Imbecile prince doesnt matter nothing takes.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 26, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SpRahl posted:

To big to do a prepared invasion. Actually I probably should have done that a long time ago before I mopped up the tribes but that mechanic slipped my mind :(
If you have any vassals whose main title isn't a de jure part of your kingdom, you can just grant them independence and pick them up again later.

I abused the hell out of this the last time I played as Dyre in Kiev.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 26, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I was about to post that I'd made a mistake and my heir is normally betrothed to the queen of Russia, and then I realized that it's totally irrelevant since the Seuljuks took it. :stare:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

If you have any vassals whose main title isn't a de jure part of your kingdom, you can just grant them independence and pick them up again later.

I abused the hell out of this the last time I played as Dyre in Kiev.

This is what I decided to try... and as luck would have it Denmark just joined a Crusade for Jerusalem :getin:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shadeoses posted:

The Racist Poster
Everybody likes fairy tales, I suppose.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Everybody likes fairy tales, I suppose.

You're terrible, go away.

SpRahl posted:

This is what I decided to try... and as luck would have it Denmark just joined a Crusade for Jerusalem :getin:

Go. Go go go go go. Anyone who's joined the Crusade can't join the defense on the side of Denmark, as long as the Crusade lasts.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SpRahl posted:

Welp I got lucky and managed it. I granted independence to a few chunks of Finland and a small Catholic duke in my realm and prepared an invasion. Right before I declared war a crusade for Jerusalem was called which Denmark promptly joined. My Invasion forces were able to pick off Denmarks armies which were split int groups of about 6k waiting for boats and a good chunk had already left for the holy land (I eventually killed/captured a few courtiers with "crusader"). Meanwhile the French/Danish alliance fell through after someone died of Pneumonia. Norway was busy fighting that Catholic Duke I granted independence to over its claims to Viken and so was delayed in helping Denmark. Hungary began the long march to Denmark with 15k troops, they were immediately baited into an ambush at Fyn in which their King is killed in combat and they promptly turned around and made the long march back home, Hungary's heir was actually still allied with Denmark but for some reason he loved Erik the Heathen so much more then the Danes he didnt rejoin the war, guess he was happy we enabled him to assume the throne. Norway eventually jumped into the war but by then Hungary and France had fallen out and between the Pagan attrition penalty and the damage I had done to Denmark it wasnt enough.

Edit: Just as a side note Denmark still exists, before all this happened apparently they launched an invasion for the duchy of Ascalon in Jerusalem (I have no idea why this happened) so they are still kicking down there, who knows maybe they will "win" the crusade.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 26, 2013

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
This might just be my greatest achievement.

No idea how it happened, my wife (who hates me) suggested we have separate rooms and I took the 're-kindle our love' option. Somehow this medieval Narcissus was the result.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

No idea how it happened, my wife (who hates me) suggested we have separate rooms and I took the 're-kindle our love' option. Somehow this medieval Narcissus was the result.

It's an addon bug. That isn't a vanilla event.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Of course now I share border with the HRE :doh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Of course now I share border with the HRE :doh:

You also now have Christian duke vassals you could release to solve that problem.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

You also now have Christian duke vassals you could release to solve that problem.

How does the AI factor in water borders when determining if someone close enough to declare war? The HRE already essentially own the duchy of Holstein, if I grant independence to Jylland will that be enough to deter them or will I need to release the islands of Fyn and Sjalland as well?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
That's kind of an ugly border, because it sounds like Fyn is connected by a cross-strait connection. Maybe just park your chancellor in the HRE capital? The Danish provinces are basically hosed for 15 years anyway, so a holy war that reclaims Holstein or the isles isn't exactly going to wipe you. Plus, you need the isles if you're going to reform the faith.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Expand the map to India :getin:

I think there's a typo in your post; you wrote "India" instead of "Japan". Wouldn't China be loving great with CK mechanics?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think there's a typo in your post; you wrote "India" instead of "Japan". Wouldn't China be loving great with CK mechanics?

To simulate the process of examinations, the DLC would come with a free copy of the Analects of Confucius, and periodically ask you questions like "what is the third word on the 26th page of the Analects of Confucius?" In order to continue the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a version of CK2+ (or something like it) that has all the cool cultural empires, events, traits, faction changes, decadence etc, but without all the nerfs to CBs that make it as unfun as EU4 currently is?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The old King of Nubia had terrible genes, after he was exiled to Bavaria I married him to the queen, but all the children were slow apart from one who was an imbecile. I then married the imbecile to the Empress of Byzantium partly for some medieval eugenics timebomb and partly so he could live happily in luxury.

Now the heir to the BE is their imbecile daughter and the empress is too old to give birth, so I look forward to how this turns out.

On the other hand my heir to Carpathia is slow as well. :shrug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

SpRahl posted:

What are the exact requirements for this again?

A Norse or Reformed Norse character needs to hold Wolgast, Rugen, or Stettin, the year needs to be at least 920, and there needs to be a free holding for the Jomsvikings to build their castle in. Then it's just a MTTH issue of waiting for the event to fire; I had it go off in ~960 after some Norse adventurer invaded Pomerania.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Late in life King Broen the Great, King of Ireland, Wales, Brittany, and England finally managed to secure enough of the islands to form the Empire of Brittania. He spent the last few years of his life instigating war in Scotland and personally led his troops to gobble up another 3 counties of Scotland. He died at the age of 85.

The title of Emperor and all but the crown of England passed to his gay, excommunicated, German nephew who had land somewhere between Germany and Italy. Needless to say this is a step down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't read much on imperial China but playing ~1600s China would be equivalent to the Game of Thrones mod where you can own essentially all of the map.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I ended up starting my first game as the Duke of Dublin, slightly over 100 years have passed and I'm on my fourth king with pretty much all of Ireland under my control.

However, for whatever reason my capitol has Norwegian culture. I think this might be from having some foreigners be Stewards on my council, do I fix this just by trying to get high Stewardship Irish dudes on my council from now on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I ended up starting my first game as the Duke of Dublin, slightly over 100 years have passed and I'm on my fourth king with pretty much all of Ireland under my control.

However, for whatever reason my capitol has Norwegian culture. I think this might be from having some foreigners be Stewards on my council, do I fix this just by trying to get high Stewardship Irish dudes on my council from now on?

Dublin starts with Norwegian culture (Norse culture in the Old Gods start date). High stewardship helps spread culture but either way it is a very slow process. I wouldnt worry to much Counties with a different religion are worse than those with a different culture. And having foriegners on your council will not affect culture in your Counties.

• Locked thread