Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Deuce posted:

We get to observe the successful test. But what happened in the days or weeks of research? How many scientists are on the memorial wall?

Scientists? You got it all wrong, friend. What you should be asking is what happened to all those Sectiods you've captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

poptart_fairy posted:

Thin Man poisons soldier for a single point of damage. Entire squad freaks out and hunkers down beside a burning car, also inside the gas cloud. :effort:

I feel like they must have changed something in a patch, because I had a VIP get poisoned the other day and it wore off a turn later. I definitely had a VIP get poisoned soon after release, and he lost 3 HP and died a turn away from the Skyranger (after panicking at 1 HP). One of the few times I ever rage-reloaded in X-Com.

I hate Thin Men. Real glad that they're the only race that doesn't get an Elite version.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Is it wrong that I hope for a surprise Thin Mec in EW? Give them plasma sniper rifles and AOE poison bombs.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Doobie Keebler posted:

Is it wrong that I hope for a surprise Thin Mec in EW? Give them plasma sniper rifles and AOE poison bombs.
A thins Mec that throws Thin Men. :colbert:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deuce posted:

We get to observe the successful test. But what happened in the days or weeks of research? How many scientists are on the memorial wall?

Once a redshirt scientist conducts an unsuccessful test, he gets fired a day BEFORE that test, according to the papers.

Groetgaffel posted:

A thins Mec that throws Thin Men. :colbert:

Thin MECs spit clouds of Thin Men at your soldiers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Scientists? You got it all wrong, friend. What you should be asking is what happened to all those Sectiods you've captured.

Did you ever see District 9?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coq au Nandos posted:

Did you ever see District 9?

I chop them up and feed them to my Nigerian trooper nicknamed "Congo" so that he can absorb their strength in some sort of pre-Meld voodoo?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vengarr posted:

I feel like they must have changed something in a patch, because I had a VIP get poisoned the other day and it wore off a turn later. I definitely had a VIP get poisoned soon after release, and he lost 3 HP and died a turn away from the Skyranger (after panicking at 1 HP). One of the few times I ever rage-reloaded in X-Com.

I hate Thin Men. Real glad that they're the only race that doesn't get an Elite version.

Yeah, that mission made me swear out loudly, unironically. :negative:

It was just...jesus gently caress guys, you survived a terror mission, killed a load of his buddies and have top of the line equipment. Why does a single point of something you've been hit by before end up being too much for your minds to deal with.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Well, we never see any rations being brought in...

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, we never see any rations being brought in...

I sell all my sectoid corpses to cat food factories.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Dr.Oblivious posted:

McRib is back!

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

I sell all my sectoid corpses to cat food factories.

The grey market entry does claim that the corpses give off a foul smell after a couple of days. Cats probably go crazy for them.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I chop them up and feed them to my Nigerian trooper nicknamed "Congo" so that he can absorb their strength in some sort of pre-Meld voodoo?

Is it bad that my first thought was that the poor guy should see a manager about racism in the workplace? :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Did the Polygon article/video get posted?
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/23/4867186/making-heroics-matter-making-death-sadder-in-xcom-enemy-within
Warning: Player is awful, watching him will cause you pain and he gives out several bits of plain wrong information.

On the plus side, you can see some medals being awarded and MECs being built.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

Is it bad that my first thought was that the poor guy should see a manager about racism in the workplace? :(

XCOM - Social Justice Within

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vengarr posted:

It's entirely random when poison wears off in my experience.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
And that's why my Support with the medkit often is the one accompanying the VIP. Being poison immune at the same time helps too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

XCOM's taunting me. My alien containment facility had less than 24 hours to completion. And it gives me 2 missions across the world. Both times I grab an alien only to find out "Nope, you were too fast".

So my A-team managed to fly from Kansas, do a mission in China, back to Kansas, and then clear a UFO in South Africa before returning to Kansas in less than a day. Both times only for Dr. Vahlen to go "Nope, we couldn't keep them alive long enough to interrogate them." For fucks sake, if the XCOM team can keep an alien under control for a transatlantic flight, an entire UN Black-Ops base can keep them stunned and under control long enough for the three remaining hours it will take the intern to instal and debug "PsychicInterrogation.exe".

Honestly, I suspect the Alien Containment is less for the team's safety and more to keep the aliens away from Dr. Vahlen long enough for the project to get some actual information out of them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I really wish that the new facilities were headed by this man:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hammerstein posted:

There would be a note in the wreckage of the alien base.

"The Mittani sends his regards."

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Playing classic ironman before enemy within comes out. Got through my first terror mission without carapace or lasers (didn't have enough alloy to research), only lost 2 soldiers and came out alright. Cleared the second slingshot mission with only 1 death. Have most countries covered with satellites and am looking good for getting full cover out by the end of month 4. A large scout lands, most of my main squad was already hurt and couldn't go. I field a team of 2 vets and 4 rookies. Uncover a group of thin men and a group of mutons when the aliens move. For some reason one muton is able to shot even though he shouldn't have. severely hurts a vet. From there rookies spiral into panic, both vets get to 1 health each while all the rookies die. Before I can get back to the ship, every soldier dies. I now only have 4 soldiers left and they are all hurt.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

gatesealer posted:

Playing classic ironman before enemy within comes out. Got through my first terror mission without carapace or lasers (didn't have enough alloy to research), only lost 2 soldiers and came out alright. Cleared the second slingshot mission with only 1 death. Have most countries covered with satellites and am looking good for getting full cover out by the end of month 4. A large scout lands, most of my main squad was already hurt and couldn't go. I field a team of 2 vets and 4 rookies. Uncover a group of thin men and a group of mutons when the aliens move. For some reason one muton is able to shot even though he shouldn't have. severely hurts a vet. From there rookies spiral into panic, both vets get to 1 health each while all the rookies die. Before I can get back to the ship, every soldier dies. I now only have 4 soldiers left and they are all hurt.

I'm going to suggest you don't put any of that on the recruitment posters.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Any idea if it will be possible to convert a bio-augmented soldier to a mec soldier ? I guess arms and legs will be out of question, but what about eyes and the anti-psi enhancement ?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hammerstein posted:

Any idea if it will be possible to convert a bio-augmented soldier to a mec soldier ? I guess arms and legs will be out of question, but what about eyes and the anti-psi enhancement ?

You can't do both on the same dude.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

S.J. posted:

You can't do both on the same dude.

I think you can but they lose all their gene mods so you really shouldn't

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hammerstein posted:

I'm not very good at this game and usually rely on save-scumming. Sorry about this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mike N Eich posted:

I think you can but they lose all their gene mods so you really shouldn't

So you can, but you can't? Okay :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat it. UFO landing goes to hell and while everyone makes it out alive my top 4 members are gravely wounded. Less than a day later? Terror mission with no choice but to bring out the B&C team.

This is not going to end well :smith:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Discussion on the last few pages has greatly improved my attempts at ironman.

Mistakes I was making:

1. Getting carapace armour before lasers - Even with carapace armour you're still not going to be able to survive a single hit from a chryssalid so what's the point? Increasing your damage output increases the chances you'll be able to shred them before they reach you. A cyberdisc is probably going to kill one of your soldiers every turn it's alive, and it's a safer bet to just try and take it down as fast as possible rather than gamble on the odd chance that your men will survive a couple of volleys.

2. Going for carapace/titan armour over skeleton/ghost armour. Again, you don't want to be trading shots, and the tactical armours give you more opportunities to kill things without exposing yourself. Opportunities multiply when seized and all that.

I was looking at it all from a min-maxing statistics-y viewpoint, when I should've been channeling Sun Tzu instead.

poptart_fairy posted:

Thin Man poisons soldier for a single point of damage. Entire squad freaks out and hunkers down beside a burning car, also inside the gas cloud. :effort:

Poisoned by thin man
One point of damage taken
Six panic as one

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 27, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I liked when, after clearing an area of any visible enemies, one of my dudes walked into a poisonous cloud and panicked, causing two other team members to panic as well. Fortunately none of them tried shooting each other but I wouldn't mind if the panic mechanics were reworked so that a dude scraping his knee wouldn't result in a squad-wide meltdown.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I liked when, after clearing an area of any visible enemies, one of my dudes walked into a poisonous cloud and panicked, causing two other team members to panic as well. Fortunately none of them tried shooting each other but I wouldn't mind if the panic mechanics were reworked so that a dude scraping his knee wouldn't result in a squad-wide meltdown.

They said they did actually redo the panic mechanics in the EW. At the very least they said soldiers panic firing a) have a debuff to accuracy and b) are much less likely to shoot friendlies.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's also:
A genemod that makes you immune to panic.
Another genemod removes panic on nearby friendlies (and gives some other buffs) when the soldier with it kills something.
An OTS upgrade that lets lower ranked soldiers use a higher ranked soldier's will value for will checks [only if it's higher I hope]
At least one medal can grant will for either different nationalities on the squad or per XCOM's continent bonuses.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bet this game will be a lot of fun now that every new thing has been revealed and talked to death weeks before it's even out.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I too hate it when people talk about games on the games forum.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Finally finished my first game on Normal, and it only got easier past the alien base. You guys aren't kidding when you say Ghost armor is totally overpowered, I wiped out everything in the final boss room in one turn.

Now I've started a new game on Classic, and I am really getting my rear end whooped. I lost two rookies in the first two missions (Burger King and the larger of the two construction site maps - the one with all the crates right near the spawn) and I just lost my first and only Heavy a few turns into my first council mission.

I'm wondering about two things that have already happened several times in this playthrough:

1) Packs activate without my guys having sight on them. This happened twice on the Burger King map - sectoids across the map, on the other side of the building, activated during my turn without my guys having sight at any point during the turn, through full concealment. Also, on my first council mission, I lost my Heavy because a Thin Man jumped up onto the opposite side of the rooftop from where I was scooting my guys around the edge with the VIP and KO'd the Heavy with a flank shot. It seemed that he popped up there for the express purpose of doing so, but he couldn't have possibly known I was there. I hadn't made contact until that point, and the only active enemy on the map was a Thin Man who airdropped FAR away from me in the fog and went into overwatch. My guys were moving away from him. So, are the random activations/cheating Thin Man just bugs or does the AI know your position on Classic?

2) On no less than 4 occasions my guys have moved to flank Sectoids and not gotten a flank bonus, even though the Sectoid received a flank bonus on my guy after moving him into position. I've never had that happen before. Random bug or related to difficulty level somehow?

Sorry if these are common knowledge things. I've got a lot to learn about this game...

superoxen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 27, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Those are both pretty well known bugs.

And yeah the big construction site is one of the nastiest maps. Try doing it after mutons come in on classic.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can psionic enemies MC or psi-attack your dudes when they're cloaked?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

superoxen posted:

Sorry if these are common knowledge things.
Yep, they're common knowledge, but you don't need to apologize because they're also bugs that shouldn't happen. The only reason we all know about them is because they're depressingly common.

#2 is easier, so we'll start with that: the game uses the actual graphical engine to calculate things like LOS and flanking. Unfortunately that means that random bits of level geometry can interrupt flanks that they shouldn't. Ladders are particularly well-known for this, and one particular semi-truck. Nothing to do about it but learn the maps (I doubt this issue will be fixed by EW).

As for #1, that's a combination of bugged behavior and working as intended. The thin men airdropping into overwatch is what they do, and if you get unlucky they can do it into fog where you can't see them. On classic you should try to do poke checks and any other way of getting visibility without triggering overwatch. Packs that activate without LOS and beyond visual range is a bug though, and likely related to the infamous teleport bug.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

On classic you should try to do poke checks and any other way of getting visibility without triggering overwatch.

Battle scanners on snipers are REALLY useful for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mr Dog posted:

Can psionic enemies MC or psi-attack your dudes when they're cloaked?

No. They need line of sight, like all attacks.

• Locked thread