Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Flesnolk posted:

I could give it a shot but it would take a while, and depends on if Desmond is cool with it. Would people want it here, on-site, both?
People can always post comments on the stories at the site, but I probably won't approve the comments until after the contest winner is announced, just to keep the story free of distraction.

So far there is one story slightly ahead of the others. Remember that if you submitted a short story and do not vote, you could lose a vote in the event of a tie.

Once I get home after the long Canada Thanksgiving weekend I will post three more short stories either submitted late or written by an admin, just to read but not to vote on.

Also, others who are doing SA writing contests in CC, shoot me a PM if you ever want to add them to Goonreads. I can set up a blog there that you can admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I would appreciate any feedback on my story anyone has to offer.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Desmond posted:

People can always post comments on the stories at the site, but I probably won't approve the comments until after the contest winner is announced, just to keep the story free of distraction.

I'll feedback-comment on the site after a winner's picked, then. Gives me some time to find an opportunity to read through them all again anyway. Which was yours, Woodchuck? The entries don't name authors unless I missed something like a jackass.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Flesnolk posted:

The entries don't name authors unless I missed something like a jackass.

I think at this stage the stories are presented anonymously so they can be judged on their own merit.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hi folks!

I've registered under my forum name. Looking forward to joining the scrum :)

Louisiana Van Van
Jan 11, 2009

Then a miracle occurred in the form of a plate of sandwiches.
I am a philosopher of sandwiches, he decided. Things good on the inside.
Hi, I just registered under tnoonan but (of course) put my forum name in the box.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I have added three more stories to the Horror reads. These are just there for fun and won't be voted on.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

This is terribly cool. So I registered but it advised me I need to post to the thread to finish approval. I have a book being published (well going on sale from preorders) october 31st that I'd like to submit.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I hope this isn't too weird of a place to ask this question.

Does anyone know where I can still get a paperback copy of Veins by Drew? Are there any plans for a second printing?

e. vv Oh well. I could always get the eBook version. Thanks for your help!

Storgar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 22, 2013

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Storgar posted:

I hope this isn't too weird of a place to ask this question.

Does anyone know where I can still get a paperback copy of Veins by Drew? Are there any plans for a second printing?

Just googled it: https://www.facebook.com/toothpastefordinner/posts/322432734534441. Hopefully that info is up-to-date. (Edit: the FB link seems dead.)

So, four more days to vote on the short story contest! I will announce the winner either Friday or Saturday. Any ideas about the anthology? I think most, if not all, short story writers were interested. I think we'll just need to decide the following:

Is it okay to have an editor fix up any problems? We may need some help with this since I think it would take a long time for me to do alone; I am already editing a series until the end of the year. I don't think most stories need it, but it wouldn't hurt to go through and just proofread for typos and grammar.

For an e-book, we could split all the royalties 17 ways after any Amazon fees.

I could also do a printed book at my press but would go on-demand with Ingram's Lightning Source, and they take about half off the print price. Plus I usually give bookstores 30-35% off. I also sometimes use other printers, but only when I feel more assured of selling a certain amount. I also spring for Ingram distribution, which gets the paperback listed at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

We could split leftover royalties 17 ways minus the initial print and setup costs (typically about $80.00).

It'd be cool to also start splitting after reimbursing the out-of-pocket contest award costs of $50.00, but that decision should be up to everyone.

I am not an artist, so if we do an anthology, can anyone volunteer the book cover design? Or perhaps they could be added to royalty splits?

I don't think the book would really sell that well, so I wouldn't count on making much money--I think this community would be its biggest buyers. I would chalk the anthology up to something to add to your resume/portfolio. And if for some reason it does sell well, that would be a nice surprise.

Another idea is to pick a charity and donate to it if we see any profits.

These are just things to kind of collectively decide upon. I would not take on the publication without everyone signing a contract that would lay out the agreed-upon terms.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Any anthology would definitely need some editing. And I'm including my story in that; some critiques I've received over PM pointed out a few things that had me smacking my forehead.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I second the need to edit. There are definitely some parts of mine that need some fixing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh yeah, I definitely needed another edit pass and there's a few things I'd tweak.

I'm trying to wrap up reading all the entries before voting. I've been reading them in bed before I go to sleep...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Actually, I would be willing to help edit the stories that aren't mine. I definitely need more work for my editing portfolio.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd be game for editing, too, and think I know a few people for cover design. I definitely know a couple real good editors too but they'd charge quite a bit.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 22, 2013

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I just invited the authors and voters to this site: http://goonreads.com/authors/horroranthology/. While I want to encourage public comments on the actual stories at Goonreads (the comments there will go live after voting ends), I thought having a network for polishing these stories might be good.

I think editorial suggestions should be done in the comments section on the stories themselves at the new site here. Then once voting ends, I'll turn over the authorship of each story to the actual author so that they can edit their own stuff. I guess this would be a group effort then.

If you really don't want your book in the anthology, just let me know. No biggie. We have 17 stories, which is a good amount, so if you have other plans for your story, feel free to just back out. Though if a lot of people do, we probably won't do the book.

I will post a form at the site so you can give your thoughts on a possible book.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
The survey for the anthology is here: http://goonreads.com/authors/horroranthology/anthology-survey/. It's open only to those who are contributors (i.e. who wrote/voted).

Just a reminder to vote! I feel like a kid prancing around a present and wanting to open it and show everyone early. Here's a hint about the author with the most votes so far; they have not voted and could lose a point in case of a tie. There are three stories tied now for second place. Two other authors have not voted as well :colbert: (I still open presents early but am constraining myself.) Of course the deadline is not until Friday.

Also, I had promised to give the outcome of the short story topic poll, which helped to decide one of the prompts. This is a poll that ran late summer.

• Aliens vs. everything else (aliens) – 3 votes
  • Scream while running upstairs (slasher where characters do the dumbest things) – 2 votes
  • Talking Heads (psycho killer) – 2 votes
  • The Calamityville Horror (haunted place) – 3 votes
  • The Evil Dead 5 (demons in the woods) – 3 votes
  • The Lost Skeleton of Atmosphereum (parody or other humor) – 2 votes (I would have really found it hard to provide prompts for this one)
  • Other – 1. body horror, 2. mind-shattering Lovecraftian horror 3. population: You (city/house/neighborhood cut off from the rest of reality); I really really dug the last one
  • The Blob Thing from Beyond (science gone wrong) – 6 votes (winner, thus escape from the lab)

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Forgive me if this has already been explained but is their any copyright stuff that comes with posting stories on goonreads? Also I signed up.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Forgive me if this has already been explained but is their any copyright stuff that comes with posting stories on goonreads? Also I signed up.
The only things posted at Goonreads so far are stories for our 1st short story contest and book listings; for the contest, submitters posted their stories via a form that basically said that they retain copyright but that Goonreads had rights to have the stories up until the end of November for a horror special. Through a couple checks, authors agreed to this when posting their stories.

Once the contest is over I would like to build an interface for others to post stories and other writings online. I just haven't gotten that far yet, and I'm really not sure if there's enough interest. It would be assumed that authors always retain their own copyright and that if at some point they want to do something else with their stories and remove them from Goonreads that it would be up to them to request a removal.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 23, 2013

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just registered with my forums name. Please do the needful.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've added myself to the Review Exchange under Frank Sunder if anyone is interested in...well, exchanging reviews I suppose. It's not a field on the submission form, but I'd be willing to provide free copies.

They're not linked at the above link, but the two titles are Processional I and Processional II

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely needed another edit pass and there's a few things I'd tweak.

I'm trying to wrap up reading all the entries before voting. I've been reading them in bed before I go to sleep...

Good grief, I thought it was just me. I've found some stupid careless errors as a result of me rushing to meet the deadline. I'm anxious to see the results as there was some really good stuff.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Voting is over, and the winner is DavidJMathis (Random Stranger), author of Debt Collection with 7 votes. I'll be sending your Amazon gift card shortly after the announcement. Congrats :)

Honorable mentions:

Little Curly Tail by Michael P/Senior Woodchuck got 5 votes; I'm going to send you a free e-book but will email you with a choice at least.

Disassociation (ACStone/Stratfyre), Old Growth (Drunk Tomato), and The Monster in the Lab (Logisti) each tied for a third place.

Thanks to everyone! I had a good time reading everyone's stories and think they will all make a good collection of stories if we decide to do that. See this site for more and be sure to confirm your account or let me know if you didn't get an invite (for authors only).

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

Desmond posted:

Voting is over, and the winner is DavidJMathis (Random Stranger), author of Debt Collection with 7 votes. I'll be sending your Amazon gift card shortly after the announcement. Congrats :)

Congratulations Random Stranger! I know I voted for your story, it was a front runner for me as soon as I'd finished it. I enjoyed everything about it - Which is not to say I didn't enjoy the other stories, I think everyone did a fantastic job! I can't wait for the next contest, I had a blast with this one. It really forced me to write outside of my usual comfort zone.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Desmond posted:

Honorable mentions:

Little Curly Tail by Michael P/Senior Woodchuck got 5 votes; I'm going to send you a free e-book but will email you with a choice at least.

Disassociation (ACStone/Stratfyre), Old Growth (Drunk Tomato), and The Monster in the Lab (Logisti) each tied for a third place.

Thanks to everyone! I had a good time reading everyone's stories and think they will all make a good collection of stories if we decide to do that. See this site for more and be sure to confirm your account or let me know if you didn't get an invite (for authors only).

Congrats to Random Stranger, I really, really liked the story.

edit:nevermind - found it

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Roydrowsy posted:

Congrats to Random Stranger, I really, really liked the story.
I didn't see an invite for that page, but I suppose it could be a bit early still

I added you as a user already, so maybe check your spam folder (n/m, I see you have confirmed it).

edit: So I think only two people haven't confirmed. Everyone else can edit their own story at that site.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 26, 2013

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Congrats Random Stranger! I would have voted for you if I didn't vote for Little Curly Tail! Seriously, it was a hard decision, both stories were just so good.

Thanks to everyone else who ended up participating, there were some great reads in the contest. This was really quite fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for the congratulations. FWIW, I voted for Little Curly Tail.

Also, whoever's comment it was that jokingly accused me of being Neil Gaiman, I want you to know that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me even if I'm really not trying to be Gaiman.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Random Stranger posted:

Also, whoever's comment it was that jokingly accused me of being Neil Gaiman, I want you to know that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me even if I'm really not trying to be Gaiman.

You really do read like Neil Gaiman, in a good way! (I also voted for you). Congrats!!!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ouch. That's quite a blow to the self-esteem.
Congrats to everyone though, your stories were all fun to read.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

You did have a very Gaimanesque concept. (I'm not the dude who left that comment, but it made me think that!) Congratulations!

Thanks to the goons who voted for me. I had fun writing this story, so I'm glad people enjoyed it.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Congrats, Random Stranger! I had to go for Little Curly Tail, but I enjoyed yours, and many of the others. Hope the anthology comes together so the wider world gets a chance to read the collection.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Congrats, Random Stranger! I don't remember who I voted for but you were up there for me. I had some thoughts on it but I'll be leaving that stuff for the editorial comments on the site.

(Also, for anyone curious, in all the stories have a combined wordcount of 102,150. Even not including things like publishing info, any introductions, a table of contents, etc. that would be one big anthology!)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 27, 2013

DBMaster
Dec 29, 2004
Societal Bane
Just wanted to add my congratulations, Random Stranger. It was a really well written story.

Also, definite Neil Gaiman vibes.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Registering as a contributor. Using the dukerustfield username.

Thanks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

systran posted:

Surely it would be a huge undertaking, but it would be wonderful if someone posted crits for all of the stories in the short-fiction contest.

I have taken this undertaking. And I don't particularly care if you didn't ask for it or don't want it, because I have written the crits for those of you who entered the competition and you will just have to take them and bite your tongue and have your ego torn out a little.

GOONREADS #1 COMPETITION CRITICISM COMPILATION BY THE SADDEST RHINO DATED 28 OCTOBER 2013

And here's a table compiling every trope I have observed in reading all the stories:

GOONREADS TROPE TABLE

I didn't have time to look at the 3 submitted post-contest and therefore haven't crit them but if you ask for it I'll do it, but at a much later date as I will be out travelling for a week starting from Wednesday.

NOTE: Please do not take this as discouragement to organise more writing competitions or entering them, because reading these had been pretty fun although honestly I was not all too enthralled with the prompt when it first came out. If anything sounds too harsh you have every right to bitch at me, subject that you aim to improve your writing pls thx.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

The Saddest Rhino posted:

NOTE: Please do not take this as discouragement to organise more writing competitions or entering them, because reading these had been pretty fun although honestly I was not all too enthralled with the prompt when it first came out. If anything sounds too harsh you have every right to bitch at me, subject that you aim to improve your writing pls thx.
The only thing I find too harsh is that you seemed to have written this as more of a laugh at the authors' expense rather than just using our editorial site to give more serious and usable feedback. And I'm not sure your critique reflects the nature of the time- and prompt-limited contest that became more of a writing exercise rather than a super polished story contest, with the idea that now is the time we can polish these stories and put them in an anthology.

I think there's some good advice though, and would encourage people to use it to improve their stories. I laughed at the trope table too, and am not sure we could expect anything less than that from Something Awful writers!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I have actually written quite a number of bits telling the authors what need work and what are major issues so I'm not sure why you seem to think the criticism is not meant to be useful? I was also under the impression one month is definitely more than enough time to polish up a work meant to win $50 bucks in cash.

EDIT: Or rather, My intent was not to make fun of people and I tried to make the criticism more humourous so it'd be easier to read and understand the effect the stories could have on a reader. I wasn't intending to come into this to say sarcastic things to make myself look good.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 28, 2013

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

I have actually written quite a number of bits telling the authors what need work and what are major issues so I'm not sure why you seem to think the criticism is not meant to be useful? I was also under the impression one month is definitely more than enough time to polish up a work meant to win $50 bucks in cash.

EDIT: Or rather, My intent was not to make fun of people and I tried to make the criticism more humourous so it'd be easier to read and understand the effect the stories could have on a reader. I wasn't intending to come into this to say sarcastic things to make myself look good.

Okay, trying to be as straightforward as possible here, but my mind is going in several different directions at once while I sift through the critique for usable bits. I don't personally have issues with the comments, but I have enough critique group experience to separate my ego from the story. Some things work, some clearly don't. I saw spots where I agreed with what you were saying and others where I didn't. Sometimes a detail or story may not just click with someone for whatever reason, and sometimes an idea is just too big for a short story. I'm certainly guilty of the latter. (For the record, Luisa Cruz was mine.)

But I'd also agree with Desmond's perspective and am not quite following your intent. I'd say the impression of the author part is probably going a little too far if you're genuinely trying to help people. "Shock therapy" can work for some authors, but not everyone. Some authors also might crawl back into their shells, and maybe that's an argument that they still have a long way to go, but I'm not so sure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a middle ground between hugbox and beating them over the head. I'd personally never use the latter if I didn't have the author sitting in front of me and have a good idea of their psychology. But hell, this is a comedy forum, this kind of thing is usually fodder anyway.

Oh, and the tropes table is hilarious but I hope no one takes that too seriously as criticism.

Now back to my BDSM.

Edit: It also occurs to me that it might discourage some folks from participating if they know this is waiting at the end.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Oh, don't get me wrong. I do think your critiques can be useful. I think a lot of effort went into them and am happy you volunteered them.

By usefulness, I think posting comments directly at the editorial site rather than here would be helpful, mainly because the authors are editing their stories there rather than here and may not be checking these threads or might miss your post. I posted the link above in this thread and asked people who want to help to just request an invite to the site.

I don't have a problem with the humor either, but for critiquing, I'm not sure it serves any other purpose than to kind of poke fun. As far as feedback, is it a good way to do it? I really don't know. My story wasn't critiqued, but if it was I'd just want some frank "this works; that doesn't" rather than 0/10 kawaii donuts or whatever.

I still encourage everyone to read these critiques. I'm sure there is something from what Saddest Rhino wrote that will help, and he/she obviously put a good amount of time in it. I think most of us as writers are used to harsh feedback, and prefer it over anything else. It's also good to get a lot of perspective, so I really encourage everyone to use the comments on stories at that one site I built just for that.

Also, I didn't really consider a 50.00 award that much, compared to professional types of contests, which generally have a higher monetary value and/or much more recognition.

I really want people to have fun with these contests, improve their writing by using prompts and time limits as an exercise, and in the process to get better. SA has some beginner writers and professional writers, so I wanted to tailor this contest to include all and be fun but also to be a way to exercise writing skills and improve.

I agree with workingdog that having something like this critique waiting at the end might discourage people from participating; it does put people on the spot. But I can't speak for everyone.

• Locked thread