Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sash! posted:

If I was a Star Trek character, I'd grow up to be Fajo, except cooler and even more amoral.

I wouldn't be "Data get naked and sit in the chair." I'd be like "Data help me find Lore so I can complete the set."

Data, Lore, help me find B-4 to really complete the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Data, Lore, help me find B-4 to really complete the set.

I'd have to find and destroy Data's mom to prevent her from falling into someone else's collection.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if oomox vs genocide is the "guns or butter" of the 24th century.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Astroman posted:

I wonder if oomox vs genocide is the "guns or butter" of the 24th century.

Genocide is bad for business. How can you sell to people if they're dead?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ah, but if they're all dead then their remains become a rare and unique commodity.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Luigi Thirty posted:

Peace is good for business.

War is good for business.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Luigi Thirty posted:

As of this moment, we are all poor. We go into commerce to reclaim our wealth. This we do gladly, for we are Ferengi. Remember: profit is life!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

As of this moment, we are all poor. We go into commerce to reclaim our wealth. This we do gladly, for we are Ferengi. Remember: profit is life!

You know, in those first couple of episodes with Brunt when people were talking about FCA Liquidators in hushed tones and fearful glances, I thought they were the Ferengi Tal Shiar, full of badass superspy warrior accountants who would wade into the darkest criminal underworld or the most heated warzone if it meant making sure a contract was honored or an account settled.

I was pretty drat disappointed when Brunt ended up being the biggest chode of the lot in The Magnificent Ferengi.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguinia posted:

I was pretty drat disappointed when Brunt ended up being the biggest chode of the lot in The Magnificent Ferengi.

I get what you're saying, but I've never been disappointed by a Jeffrey Combs character.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

You know, in those first couple of episodes with Brunt when people were talking about FCA Liquidators in hushed tones and fearful glances, I thought they were the Ferengi Tal Shiar, full of badass superspy warrior accountants who would wade into the darkest criminal underworld or the most heated warzone if it meant making sure a contract was honored or an account settled.

It honestly makes sense, though. The Ferengi are literally Bureaucracy, the society, and as such the most terrifying person within the system is the one who holds the stamps and the paperwork. They're the ones that hold the true power and all the real secrets of the system. And really, taking away that power leaves basically pathetic little men with nothing other than bad attitudes (which of course served them when they had the power, but when they lose their power it only serves to punish and diminish them).

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

God, DS9 is so awesome. These are some fantastic moments, and the video about root beer is probably the greatest commentary on the federation in the entire franchise.

I just really wish there had been a classic continuity Trek show that carried the torch of what DS9 did right, after it ended. How it completely "got" Star Trek while simultaneously breaking free from the shackles that held it back. Having great and well acted characters with depth who grow, plot lines and decisions that have consequences and impact, and then seeing those consequences next episode. Not to mention a setting that is stable, which doesn't allow for warp 9ing away from last weeks problem every time. This forces interesting political stuff you would never see with nearly as depth in previous shows.

The gag with Quark/Rom popping into The Sisko's office through the vent is a good example of how doing those things right elevated the show. It's a simple gag that's elevated to an awesome piece of hilarity because of who the characters are, and what they have been through together and apart. Knowing all that history makes the gag and the akward interaction that much more enjoyable. If that was Wesley accidentally popping into Picards office, it wouldn't work quite as well.

DS9 really showed how amazing and versatile the Star Trek universe is, while bringing out a greatness and potential in it that as yet no one had touched or knew existed. The sad thing is it was the first and only show to do so. You would think (and hope) that after a show that revitalized and elevated the franchise to a new level, they would keep it going, and learn what they could from what DS9 did right, and jump into that poo poo head first with a new show. Instead, well, we got to the point now where a new Star Trek TV series is being dreaded as much as anticipated by the fan base as a whole due to really lack luster TNG movies, Voyager/Enterprise, and now JJTrek mucking up the continuity.

Bleh I'm getting depressed I'm just gonna stop talking now. Hopefully there's something that can pass as a conclusion in there somewhere.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 26, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

We've talked about the oomox vs genocide thing in these threads before. The problem is there are tons of people on these forums that are only capable of viewing moral issues in complete absolutes. Tricking an employee to rubbing your ears (which, while pleasurable isn't actually related to ferengi sex) is immoral. Selling the means to commit genocide on millions of people is immoral. Therefor, both of these things are exactly the same and should be responded to in equal amount of repulsion.

I don't think the starfleet response to him selling weapons was all that harsh really. His bar was boycotted for awhile sure, but after he quit, it was all forgiven and back to business as usual.

I know it contradicts the "capitalist with a heart of gold" narrative the writers went for later in the series, but I really don't think they were only talking about oomox in that scene.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DS9 is my favorite in a heartbeat, but I can't think of bad episodes without thinking of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM6Xfs2ZoY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I know it contradicts the "capitalist with a heart of gold" narrative the writers went for later in the series, but I really don't think they were only talking about oomox in that scene.

How early was it in the run? Paramount told them to tone down the creepy Ferengi sex pretty early on and Quark stopped explicitly talking about holosex.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Damo posted:

God, DS9 is so awesome. These are some fantastic moments, and the video about root beer is probably the greatest commentary on the federation in the entire franchise.

I just really wish there had been a classic continuity Trek show that carried the torch of what DS9 did right, after it ended. How it completely "got" Star Trek while simultaneously breaking free from the shackles that held it back. Having great and well acted characters with depth who grow, plot lines and decisions that have consequences and impact, and then seeing those consequences next episode. Not to mention a setting that is stable, which doesn't allow for warp 9ing away from last weeks problem every time. This forces interesting political stuff you would never see with nearly as depth in previous shows.

The gag with Quark/Rom popping into The Sisko's office through the vent is a good example of how doing those things right elevated the show. It's a simple gag that's elevated to an awesome piece of hilarity because of who the characters are, and what they have been through together and apart. Knowing all that history makes the gag and the akward interaction that much more enjoyable. If that was Wesley accidentally popping into Picards office, it wouldn't work quite as well.

DS9 really showed how amazing and versatile the Star Trek universe is, while bringing out a greatness and potential in it that as yet no one had touched or knew existed. The sad thing is it was the first and only show to do so. You would think (and hope) that after a show that revitalized and elevated the franchise to a new level, they would keep it going, and learn what they could from what DS9 did right, and jump into that poo poo head first with a new show. Instead, well, we got to the point now where a new Star Trek TV series is being dreaded as much as anticipated by the fan base as a whole due to really lack luster TNG movies, Voyager/Enterprise, and now JJTrek mucking up the continuity.

Bleh I'm getting depressed I'm just gonna stop talking now. Hopefully there's something that can pass as a conclusion in there somewhere.
Pretty much all of this.

DS9 used the best of TOS and TNG. It didn't expand the Trek universe, it realized it. It added grace notes and flesh to the bones.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

How early was it in the run? Paramount told them to tone down the creepy Ferengi sex pretty early on and Quark stopped explicitly talking about holosex.

It was pretty early. First season, Captive Pursuit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Pretty much all of this.

DS9 used the best of TOS and TNG. It didn't expand the Trek universe, it realized it. It added grace notes and flesh to the bones.

What exactly changed in terms of production/writing that allowed the DS9 team to focus on serial stories around season 3/4? I always go back to the "JMS pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount, they declined but adapted the concept into DS9" rumor but there must be something concrete. Seasons 5-7 of DS9 were the best Star Trek ever made.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

pentyne posted:

What exactly changed in terms of production/writing that allowed the DS9 team to focus on serial stories around season 3/4? I always go back to the "JMS pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount, they declined but adapted the concept into DS9" rumor but there must be something concrete. Seasons 5-7 of DS9 were the best Star Trek ever made.

The B5 pitch was in the '80s. After TNG ended and Voyager started up and Berman couldn't micromanage both DS9 and VOY so he focused on Voyager with Michael Piller and let Ron Moore more or less run DS9.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That's about when the TNG movies and Voyager kicked off.

EDIT: Luigi :argh:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm starting a new run through of Voyager. A slower one this time, for sanity's sake. I am Bij.

:fakeedit:
It starts with a crawl. Oh god, it's starting with a text crawl.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Rewatching "Distant Origin".

Didn't someone in a previous thread make a list of all the things that would still show that we were here, millions of years from now, even if we were wiped out right now?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Rewatching "Distant Origin".

Didn't someone in a previous thread make a list of all the things that would still show that we were here, millions of years from now, even if we were wiped out right now?

I distinctly recall the post you're referring to but can't be bothered to go quote it.

The biggest thing was that the crap in stable, high orbits will be there basically forever. At least, until something cataclysmic happens to the Sun-Earth-Moon system.

Something about unnatural alloys too.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

pentyne posted:

Basically DS9 was always the "also-ran" Star Trek show on TV it's entire run. There was always another flagship "ship exploring the unknown" Star Trek show overlapping it's run, first TNG then Voyager. So, like someone above me said, the DS9 creative team were left to their own devices a lot more than any other group running a Trek show ever was. Funny, what happens when you let creative people free a bit to tell a good story even if it requires bending the rules of the franchise, as opposed to forcing rigid adherence to those rules and as a result putting out some lovely poo poo that we've already seen done, and better, and takes no risks. Something that doesn't keep pace with how television storytelling is growing in general, and doesn't come even close to realizing it's own potential.

Hell, I suppose we are lucky as hell that Deep Space 9 ended up as good as it did. At least one Star Trek show got it that right. My earlier wishing they would have capitalized on that is a serious pipe dream really. DS9 was a lucky shot, I highly doubt we'll ever get Trek as good as that ever again. When a new Trek series gets started, you know there are all sorts of new ways of making bad TV it's gonna get sucked into. Falling back into making the same mistakes Trek has always made is the least of the problem.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 26, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

hailthefish posted:

I distinctly recall the post you're referring to but can't be bothered to go quote it.

The biggest thing was that the crap in stable, high orbits will be there basically forever. At least, until something cataclysmic happens to the Sun-Earth-Moon system.

Something about unnatural alloys too.
That was definitely the post.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't forget the Great Wall of China and a bunch of abandoned shanty-like spacecraft and flags left on the moon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Great Wall isn't visible from space, that's a myth started by a travel agency of all things. And it won't last for long either, most of it is already collapsed and half buried, what you see in touristy areas is 20th century restoration of 16th century restoration. You can step over most of the Great Wall.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Commissar Ken posted:

I think you're thinking about 'Time's Arrow' that everyone here hates partially because Guinan and mostly from what I can tell because of the way they portray Samuel Clemens. But gently caress all these people I love two episodes about RASCAL MARK TWAIN. Man just wants to smoke some cuban cigars and gently caress up poo poo.

I may have been thinking of "Time's Arrow." My bad. I watched that edited clip that someone just posted and, uh, yup. We'll see.

It seems like it's been a million years since I've been near the end of season 3 of TNG. Diving head first into Breaking Bad hasn't helped, but I'm alternating between the two now so I'm back on the Trek horse. (Space horse? Warp horse?) If "Yesterday's Enterprise" is a turning point for the series, that's very good news. I've been loving season 3 for the most part already. Onward!

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
"The Cage" happened to be on TV this morning. A terrible pilot, but I thought it was a great stand-alone episode. So interesting to see all the things that were different from what TOS became in the end.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kelvron posted:

I'm starting a new run through of Voyager. A slower one this time, for sanity's sake. I am Bij.

:fakeedit:
It starts with a crawl. Oh god, it's starting with a text crawl.

To be fair, so did DS9.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Oh got tech support for the Enterprise would be a nightmare.

"The computer has created a new life form and transported it to the shuttle bay?... Have you tried restarting it?"

How does one troubleshoot the holodeck?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Can you imagine running a defragger on the Enterprise computer?

Defragging all 128 teraquads of data. 0.01% complete. Time remaining: 17.2307 stellar years.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Can you imagine running a defragger on the Enterprise computer?

Defragging all 128 teraquads of data. 0.01% complete. Time remaining: 17.2307 stellar years.

Alternatively, The enterprise doesn't run Windows and doesn't need to defrag.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

LCARS is totally Windows RT: Starfleet Edition.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LCARS is totally Windows RT: Starfleet Edition.

"It's not responding!"

"I'm locked out!"

"warp core ejector is offline!"

"replicators on deck 4 are all making big floppy purple dongs no matter what you order!"

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Trent posted:

"warp core ejector is offline!"

This reminds me of old macs, which could have the power button stop responding during a lockup.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Geordi totally spends his time installing weird ROMs with lovely themes from guys like <TraveLLeR> he found on the net.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

*cut to main viewscreen*

Romulan Ambassador is grilling Picard

A bonzi buddy walks on srceen.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hi, I'm Clippy, your tactical assistant! I noticed you're trying to engage in combat with a Jem'hadar cruiser. What would you like to do?
  • Fire phasers at their warp nacelles
  • Fire phasers at their deflector array
  • Launch a full spread of quantum torpedoes
  • Modulate the inverse shield harmonics
  • Initiate evasive manouevre Delta

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Oh god, no.

• Eject warp core

warp core not responding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I feel like I've just hit a vein of seriously good DS9 episodes. Things Past, The Ascent, Rapture and The Begotten all really did it for me. (Clearly I'm an Odo fan.)

Is anyone here familiar with A Song For Lya, the sci fi novella by GRRM? It's very similar to Rapture- alien religion apparently makes you at one with the universe while also killing you, and the story doesn't take a side as to whether the religion is a real religion or just advanced alien mindfuckery, while the characters are forced to pick sides- is my friend crazy or are they The Chosen One? It's one of my favorite sci fi stories, so maybe I was primed to like Rapture, but I loved it and was very pleased that they didn't cop out at the end and have Sisko 'realize' he was crazy all along. They let the audience decide for themselves.

• Locked thread