Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
:stare:

Ok, I stand corrected.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Linedance posted:

Buddy you don't even want to know how draconian Ontario anti speeding/racing laws are. Little wheelie or squeak a tire pulling away from a light? That's racing. 50km/h over the speed limit? That's racing. Vehicle seized, crushed, and a $10k fine before you even get a sniff of a trial date.
I don't know if they've eased up or anyone's had a successful court challenge to set a precedent, but that's how it was 5 years ago.

To be fair, that's primarily because driving/drivers in Toronto are probably the worst I have ever seen. And they were much worse before that law. Driving on the 401 was taking your life into your hands.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I believe BC models their "racing" seizure laws after the Ontario model.

I am on the fence with forfeiture laws. I understand the use of them, put the potential of abuse it great. It's not like cops are squeaky clean and have no history of embellishing or outright lying, let alone a genuine mistake.

The worst part of this particular case was Mom registered and insured the bike in her name so precious junior could ride it so legally she was the one on the hook for the fines.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cops still took a not-guilty person's property and scalped it with no restitution. Asset forfeiture is complete BS.

Some districts use asset forfeiture as revenue generation with the threat of charges if the forfeitee protests.

Linedance posted:

Buddy you don't even want to know how draconian Ontario anti speeding/racing laws are. Little wheelie or squeak a tire pulling away from a light? That's racing. 50km/h over the speed limit? That's racing. Vehicle seized, crushed, and a $10k fine before you even get a sniff of a trial date.
I don't know if they've eased up or anyone's had a successful court challenge to set a precedent, but that's how it was 5 years ago.

Remind me not to ride in Ontario. :stare:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItJ2BcrTgk

2:00+ for iconmoto supersex daytona 675. And stunting in the ocean at 3:00ish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Remind me not to ride in Ontario. :stare:

It's not *quite* as bad as it sounds. It's not like Australia where the speed limit is the speed LIMIT and you are expected to go 5-10 under at all times. In Ontario they have a charge called "street racing" that can be added to whatever other charges you have if you meet certain requirements, and it triggers the $10,000 fine, license suspension and roadside vehicle impoundment. I don't think that they actually crush your car unless you can't pay to get it back and they can't sell it, or something.

The most reliable way to get a street racing charge is going 50km/h over the limit. Which is easy to do on a motorcycle, especially since the limit on the 401 is 100km/h but everyone drives at least 120 all the time, so if you make a fast pass you could easily be getting to 140+. There are other situations, too -- I was speeding along an 80km/h country highway at about 93, then got to a podunk town where a policeman immediately pulled me over. Turns out that town had put their 50km/h sign a couple of kilometers out, before you see any buildings, technically within city limits but next to a corn field and a marsh, so I passed it going 43 over and that's where he got me. Ridiculous, but if you're careful there's hardly ever a reason to be going 50 over the limit.

The wheel-chirping thing is real, though I've only heard of the charge actually being applied once. If you burn out on a public road it's called "excessive acceleration" and also counts as street racing, but a couple of years ago a 17-year-old kid who was learning to drive got hammered for accidentally dumping the clutch and jerkily squealing out while a douchebag of a cop was sitting at the corner.

Anyway, I think we can agree that the guy going 300km/h on a public highway probably deserved whatever they decided to charge him with. Certainly the fines he got were more than the motorcycle was worth anyway.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

My dad started scanning in a load of his old bike photos from the 70's and 80's, he sent me a few and I thought you guys might like them. He's the reason I got into motorcycles and I know he's been tempted to take my old CB500 for a spin once or twice. :3: Most are taken around Bristol, England, the Isle of Wight, or the Isle of Man.

"Vince's first Isle of Man lap, 1976." Health and safety what?

"Spike's combo's, Alastair's Matchie & 250 Suzuki, and Jock's 250 Kawasaki "Samurai""

...I have no idea about either.

1977. "No clutch, no license either... Those were days when after a couple of pints of beer you could fix anything and you didn't need a licence, well not until the police asked to see it."

Long Hanborough, 1979. "Of course it was a Norton, again."

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sock Weasel posted:

My dad started scanning in a load of his old bike photos from the 70's and 80's, he sent me a few and I thought you guys might like them.

These are great, thank you for posting them. Does he still ride?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sock Weasel posted:

My dad started scanning in a load of his old bike photos from the 70's and 80's, he sent me a few and I thought you guys might like them. He's the reason I got into motorcycles and I know he's been tempted to take my old CB500 for a spin once or twice. :3: Most are taken around Bristol, England, the Isle of Wight, or the Isle of Man.

Awesome pics

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

carrion kit posted:

Before the cop let him go he told my coworker to 'check the news tonight' and he would 'know why he got pulled over'. Referencing the idiot they caught and was posted earlier.

:siren: CRACKDOWN 2013 :siren:

This is actually illegal in Washington. Police are *NOT ALLOWED* to profile motorcyclists per a law passed in 2011. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=43.101.419

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

hot sauce posted:

These are great, thank you for posting them. Does he still ride?

Not any more, he and my mum gave it up shortly after having my sister in '86. He's been tempted to use my old bike while I'm out of the country but says he wouldn't be comfortable in today's traffic. He bought a Mustang instead...

Alistair, however, still has his bike and sidecar. :)

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Sock Weasel, those are some awesome pictures.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pictures of the RC390 leaked, looks great from the side:

Kinda weird from the front.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Robot rapeface!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

These were parked in front of my office today. Better selection than usual.

Fuckin love these things.

These are its gauges. :haw:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Two tachs, neither of which goes as high as the originals, and no speedo?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those gauges are excellent.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's two analog stopwatches.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Feh. Call me back when they're marked in mph increments for a flying mile, and he's wired up an old camera cable release to start and stop them from the bars.

(That Hawk is in wonderful shape. Sell it to me?)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Slim Pickens posted:

Made me think of

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slim Pickens posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was spannering for my mate racing at the Barry Sheene memorial today at Hampton Downs raceway. I was pretty busy and didn't take a picture of his bike (ZXR400) but in my spare moments I wandered around and took pictures of interesting bikes both in the pits and the parking lot. I'm sorry for my lovely cellphone and my tragic photography.

These two are honda NSR125's. They weigh about 70kg and were ridden by two sisters aged 14 and 15. Their team was 'mum & dad racing'. They had DAD on one leg of their leathers and RIP MUM on the other :smith:

The father rode this and another like it with...

An open primary :supaburn:

And all the oil leaks in the world.

The man who spent all day fixing this ended up finishing in time for the last race, I forgot to take a picture. Old two-stroke suzuki of some sort.

Rare, my rear end!

This was insanely well-preserved.

New dream bike: added to list.

One of two FIA-sanctioned track cats, the other one was too elusive to take a picture of.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

These two are honda NSR125's. They weigh about 70kg (snip)

Probably more likely that they're RS125s if they only weigh 70kg. Dry weight for the NSR is something like 130kg.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slavvy posted:

New dream bike: added to list.

Harleys are hot enough as it is. That looks terrifying. :catstare:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

One for each cylinder :eng101:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
In our long running troll of idiots we stumbled across this thing, a page from 1973 Popular Mechanics, how many panties will this cause to instantly wad up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well I for one am glad to hear that I own a BIG ROAD BIKE. :colbert:

slickmcwilly
Nov 3, 2012
I love how most of that first paragraph is still true.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I'm confused about why this has dual exhaust cans. Unless there's a second turbo on the other side, I don't see the point.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

MetaJew posted:

I'm confused about why this has dual exhaust cans. Unless there's a second turbo on the other side, I don't see the point.

The exhaust on the left is a screamer pipe (it's the exhaust that the wastegate bypasses around the turbine at full boost).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

obso posted:

The exhaust on the left is a screamer pipe (it's the exhaust that the wastegate bypasses around the turbine at full boost).

Ohshi. That is awesome. I couldn't see where that pipe was coming from. I was assuming that the exhaust side of the turbo was just split into two pipes.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I bought my first bike:

It's a Koremoto (What a well-known brand!) KF125. I think it's a Chinese copy of a Suzuki something... I really don't know what.

Before the derogatory comments start, let me give some background. I'm a Canadian, but I'm living in the Masai Mara in Kenya, working as a hot-air balloon pilot. I live in a camp that's a 15 minute drive (or about a 45 minute walk) to the nearest "town". And along the way there's buffalo, elephants and the occasional lion. So walking alone isn't really a good idea.

Most of the other pilots have a bike and access to a Land Cruiser/Rover. I had neither, and I've been bike-curious for the past few years, especially lurking in CA. So when one of the other pilot's contract ended, I bought his bike. The tires and shocks have been upgraded. Good tires are a necessity out here, and punctures are extremely common. Acacia thorns can be 2+ inches long, and will go right through most tires, especially the original crap tires. And as far as shocks go, I'm a fat-rear end, so better shocks are a fantastic idea.

No, I've ridden a bike before.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of how dumb it is be learning to ride in an area far away from medical attention, on things that can barely be called roads. I wear as much gear as I can get my hands on (helmet, gloves, jeans, boots) and I'm under no illusions that I won't be coming off. I'm getting lessons from the other pilots here, some of whom have been riding for 30+ years, so I'm doing my best to learn safely. I'm headed home in January, and if I'm coming back here, I'm going to get some good, western gear.

I would have liked to have gotten a bike that is actually known, but even seeing any brand I recognize is few and far between. In the months I've been here, I've seen maybe 3 Suzukis, and a few bigger Yamahas in Nairobi. I don't remember seeing a Honda/Kawasaki/Anything western. Luckily the local mechanics seem to be able to work with anything. The most common brand in the local area seems to be SkyGo. In Nairobi it seems like Boxers are the most common. All 150cc or smaller.

I haven't even taken mine out of the camp compound yet, I just drive around the balloon launch field (a grass field about the size of a football field, maybe bigger) and practice starts, stops and turns on the bumpy, rocky grass field. The "roads" here don't really exist. The nearest asphalt is ~150km away. The roads near here are a combination of black-cotton soil (just add water for instant mud!) loose gravel, bare rock, and occasionally just sand. Basically, a shitstorm of the worst conditions around, especially if it rains. And usually to go anywhere you need to cross a river (and by cross, I mean ride through in a shallow spot, there's only one bridge within 50km)

I guess it'll be worth it to say "Oh, I got that scar when I was riding my motorcycle in Africa."

Sorry for the :words:. I'm just excited, and I have a lot of time on my hands.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well that's about the most interesting background I've read about here all week. :words: away and as often as you feel like. It's not everyday we get a post about outrunning lions on a 125 here.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Angryboot posted:

Well that's about the most interesting background I've read about here all week. :words: away and as often as you feel like. It's not everyday we get a post about outrunning lions on a 125 here.

But even the lions in Africa have motorbikes!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Odette posted:

But even the lions in Africa have motorbikes!

No, the lions obviously drive old Peugeot 504s and 505s, duh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Riding a dirtbike in the wild is probably a safer way to learn than a street bike among city traffic anyway. Just don't land in an acacia shrub when you fall. Or while chased by a lion.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
lock9 posted some great action from the NW200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdvzxEUQogE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdvzxEUQogE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

St_Ides posted:

I guess it'll be worth it to say "Oh, I got that scar when I was riding my motorcycle in Africa."

Sorry for the :words:. I'm just excited, and I have a lot of time on my hands.

Wow, the only thing google knows about the koremoto kf125 is one guy in Las Vegas is looking for forks for one. That's it.

That's an awesome way to learn to ride though. In my opinion learning to ride off-road usually makes you a better rider than just starting out on the road anyway.

Good luck with the bike, do you have any contingency plans for if you need a part?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

St_Ides posted:

I bought my first bike:

:words: hot-air balloon pilot. I live in a camp that's a 15 minute drive (or about a 45 minute walk) to the nearest "town". And along the way there's buffalo, elephants and the occasional lion. :words:

I feel that this post, while fascinating, really lacked in what must be a lot of awesome pictures.

Riding whatever the locals can wrench on is always the best strategy in places like that. Maybe try to get someone to ship you some motocross armour to wear, as proper western gear as you call it will be unbearably hot in that environment

edit:
more NW200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eonZv3HDyA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eonZv3HDyA0

echomadman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wow, the only thing google knows about the koremoto kf125 is one guy in Las Vegas is looking for forks for one. That's it.

That's an awesome way to learn to ride though. In my opinion learning to ride off-road usually makes you a better rider than just starting out on the road anyway.

Good luck with the bike, do you have any contingency plans for if you need a part?

I've tried Googling for it too. Can't even find a picture. I've seen a Suzuki (or a least something with a Suzuki badge) that looked identical to the Koremoto. I suspect parts for it are the same. If anyone has any idea which model it's based on, I'd appreciate it.

So far the local mechanics have been able to fix any issues with them. Apparently 20ish were originally ordered by my company for a courier gig, but that fell through so they've been selling them to the pilots down here in the Mara. I know of about 5-10 of them in the area. Only a few of us are mechanics (nobody at my camp at the moment, though we do have a garage for the Land Cruisers and Swaraj, and those guys have tools), so we take it to the local town to get any parts or fixes. They seem to have everything we need, and the expertise to fix it. If they don't have it, the locals are magical jerry-riggers for pretty much anything. Maintenance is non-existent for most things, but once it's thoroughly broken, they'll do their best to "fix" it. It'll never work as well, but it'll have some use. You really don't want to see the mechanical state of anything down here. So that's my plan for parts, as well as selling the bike as-is when I leave.

echomadman posted:

I feel that this post, while fascinating, really lacked in what must be a lot of awesome pictures.

Riding whatever the locals can wrench on is always the best strategy in places like that. Maybe try to get someone to ship you some motocross armour to wear, as proper western gear as you call it will be unbearably hot in that environment

Sorry, motocross armour is what I meant when I said proper western gear. It's actually not that hot here, as we're at 5000' elevation. It's really only hot in the sun. But shipping it here really isn't an option, if it doesn't get poached, it'll take literally months. I will have to bring it myself, or get someone else to bring it, but as I said I'm a fatass, so I'll have to fit it first. I'm hoping to hit up the motorcycle show in Toronto when I'm home in January. If I'm coming back, I'll get the right stuff for here. If I'm not, I'll get a bike for home.

I do have a lot of awesome pictures of animals and flying my balloon and just walking around. That was literally the only motorcycle related picture I had and I didn't want to annoy anyone with my first post on CA. I have a blog set up for my family back home, I can probably poach some pics of that if you really want to see them. I've seen some crazy stuff out here. Last week I help the local researchers dissect a hyena out in the middle of the savanna.

It's not easy for me to post a lot of pictures. I only have cell-based data, and most of the time I get EDGE. Some places I can get HSPA 3G, but not near my house.