Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's precisely because Merlyn is dead that the city is setting up Moira (and by extension Ollie) as the target for their vengeance. And as Moira's lawyer said, they could easily blame things on Malcolm threatening her family's life, but I think with the court trying to scapegoat her, they're going to need some evidence...which Moira doesn't want them digging into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

I think it's precisely because Merlyn is dead that the city is setting up Moira (and by extension Ollie) as the target for their vengeance. And as Moira's lawyer said, they could easily blame things on Malcolm threatening her family's life, but I think with the court trying to scapegoat her, they're going to need some evidence...which Moira doesn't want them digging into.

I was mainly answering regarding why Moira's family doesn't hate her so much for helping to kill all those dudes. Although to be fair, ~350 people when multiple city blocks were obliterated is pretty low percentage of population deaths.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Drifter posted:

I was mainly answering regarding why Moira's family doesn't hate her so much for helping to kill all those dudes. Although to be fair, ~350 people when multiple city blocks were obliterated is pretty low percentage of population deaths.

Thea was pissed enough where until Ollie came back she didn't even want to see her mother. And poo poo even if my parents/sister killed someone or committed mass murder I wouldn't hate them and would still probably see them in prison.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moira doesn't want to mount the defense because pinning everything on Merlyn is going to drag up Robert Queen's involvement as one of the leaders. There's already enough bad press on her, and she doesn't want to invite the collateral damage to the family that Robert being involved would show, both from Thea and from outside forces like Blood and the media. I think it's been well established that Moira has an infatuation with impaling herself on spears anyway, so her being a martyr and taking the fall for the Undertaking isn't really that odd if she thinks it could spare the rest of the Queen legacy and let Oliver take over the company and Thea move on with her life/running Verdant without the spectre of Robert's actions hanging over them.

As far as the family not hating her more, I'm not really sure I buy Thea's claims. I wish I could explain it as her sticking her head in the sand again, but I think the way the first two episodes were written we're supposed to legitimately believe that Roy and Oliver convinced her that she's still her mom, and that she was forced to comply. (Was this established in character outside of the secret identities? I don't remember if Moira claimed that at the press conference or not, or if Oliver put the idea down and no one questioned him on what made him so sure.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Although to be fair, ~350 people when multiple city blocks were obliterated is pretty low percentage of population deaths.

503 deaths actually, which would be the second highest number of fatalities in all recorded US earthquakes (after the 1906 San Francisco quake).

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Drifter posted:

350 (503) people is a lot of dead people. :/ I fail to see your point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have the Oliver loses his fortune storyline, which the whole wrongful death lawsuit against Queen Industry would do that. That was a pretty significant character change.

Her getting the death penalty would be a super big change of pace , I mean basically pushing Oliver to hate the system even more. I honestly think that's how its going to play out that she is found guilty which she is guilty. She even like openly admitted it. It's not even a legal defense to say " I helped him kill those people because my family was threatened" , the response is " Why didn't you approach the authorities?".

She may not be directly responsible for their deaths but she was still involved. There's no way she gets off free, she'll either be imprisoned or they will get the death penalty.

She basically helped commit a terrorist act against the United States, her actions I think fall under RICO as well. So she is just as guilty in the eyes of the law as Merlyn was.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 26, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hollis posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have the Oliver loses his fortune storyline, which the whole wrongful death lawsuit against Queen Industry would do that. That was a pretty significant character change.

Would it lead to a season with him, Diggs and Hal Jordan played by Liam McIntyre traveling across the country?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bobkatt013 posted:

Would it lead to a season with him, Diggs and Hal Jordan played by Liam McIntyre traveling across the country?

We can only hope. Probably not Hal Jordan , but I could see all 3 of them just getting the gently caress out or him and Diggs leaving together.

Also, I never realized Diggs was probably named after Andy Diggle who wrote Green Arrow Year One.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 27, 2013

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Hollis posted:

She may not be directly responsible for their deaths but she was still involved. There's no way she gets off free, she'll either be imprisoned or they will get the death penalty.

Or, if Merlyn and/or his backers still have any pull, she'll be assassinated or kidnapped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The label on Stephen Amell's wine was actually designed by Jim Lee.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

Thea was pissed enough where until Ollie came back she didn't even want to see her mother. And poo poo even if my parents/sister killed someone or committed mass murder I wouldn't hate them and would still probably see them in prison.

That's exactly what I said in my first response.

TheChad posted:

350 (503) people is a lot of dead people. :/ I fail to see your point.

What point? I was saying that in a high population, poor area I would have expected more people to die.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The label on Stephen Amell's wine was actually designed by Jim Lee.

At least Jim Lee is distracted from re-designing iconic costumes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

That's exactly what I said in my first response.

What point? I was saying that in a high population, poor area I would have expected more people to die.

Sure, maybe the fatality list was 'short.' Now how many people were hurt, maimed, or otherwise injured. Those riots beforehand probably did quite a bit of damage too. For the sake of the law, too, how many people were killed because of the conspiracy overall?

Death tolls make for great news headlines. 'Casualty lists' are misleading because a casualty can be anyone injured or dead. And of course the riot beforehand had most people out of their lovely slumlord project apartments, so the odds of a building falling on you were much lower than it would have been with no warning at prime time.

Moira saved quite a few lives with that press conference.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Drifter posted:

And more would have had it happened without anyone knowing it was going to happen. You're forgetting that it was broadcast on the news beforehand and that they were trying to evacuate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

And more would have had it happened without anyone knowing it was going to happen. You're forgetting that it was broadcast on the news beforehand and that they were trying to evacuate.

No I'm not forgetting, but you're right.

I thought there was only an hour or two between the reveal of the plan and the plan actually happening, but I wasn't paying much attention to the timeline. But I also know that trying to evacuate a place like that in a few hours would never realistically happen. I just chalk it up to 'comic universe' and am mostly satisfied.

From the flyover CG in the beginning of season 2, how many blocks were destroyed as a result?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rocksicles posted:

Closer inspection in HDizzle shows it to be old, knackered and overgrown... could just be scenery, it is an Asian island.

There's a city of 2.4 million people at the base of that "island" mountain so it wouldn't surprise me if they got some structures in it by accident. I believe they were on the back-right side of this photo

Really enjoying the new season so far, although I wish he was still ok with a little murder.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I lived in Vancouver for a year and adore the many, many BC landmarks that pop up.

As for the "Is Green Arrow like Batman?" argument, I think it depends on what version of the heroes you're running off of. Batman's modern characterization really changed in the 90s, with a bunch of writers emphasizing how much of a dick Batman is.

M everything from Tower of Babel to Infinite Crisis is one big honking reminder that Batman's a paranoid delusional boy pretending at being hero. There are SOME writers who chose to downplay elements of that characterization (Greg Rucka wrote a Batman who was down to earth and grounded but still gave in to his darker paranoia), but at this point Batman's defined largely by his placement in the DCU.

Along with Superman and Wonder Woman, batman is the face of superheroics in the DCU.

I don't think anyone got their characterizations quite as well as the Justice League Unlimited folks. There's a fantastic running gag about Batman being both a founding member and never formally joining, giving him the flexibility to opt out of anything while simultaneously funding and basically running the longterm plan for the team.

Meanwhile, Ollie is the guy who joins because he wants to a) get laid and b) save people. He makes a lot of noise about the wrong directions the team heads in, but he always makes those noises WITHIN the team itself.

TLDR version - go watch Justice League.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

leidend posted:

There's a city of 2.4 million people at the base of that "island" mountain so it wouldn't surprise me if they got some structures in it by accident. I believe they were on the back-right side of this photo

Nah it was a giant, red temple-looking building, and seemed pretty obviously CGI'ed in. I'm really surprised neither Ollie nor Slade went "Hey what the hell is that giant budhist temple over there?" but instead kept panning to the boat. I'm assuming they'll come back to it later, or maybe they just wanted to give the island some more mystery or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I lived in Vancouver for a year and adore the many, many BC landmarks that pop up.

I guess the film tax credits plan is working well?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Vancouver just lost Man of Steel 2, so ...no.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

VDay posted:

Nah it was a giant, red temple-looking building, and seemed pretty obviously CGI'ed in. I'm really surprised neither Ollie nor Slade went "Hey what the hell is that giant budhist temple over there?" but instead kept panning to the boat. I'm assuming they'll come back to it later, or maybe they just wanted to give the island some more mystery or something.

I don't see what the problem is. They've been on the island quite a while, especially Slade. Why are you so dead-sure that in all that time, they've never surveyed the area from a high point before? It's probably the first thing they did. Slade & Ollie didn't mention it because they already know the area.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Judging from Canary letting Roy go after seeing Thea's name on the phone and it being hinted that Bronze Tiger came in specifically to take on Ollie I think they are going to reveal Ollie was trained by the League of Assassins as was Canary, Tiger and maybe China White so they all know each others real identities.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

etalian posted:

I guess the film tax credits plan is working well?

CW actually films everything there, I think.

So does Syfy, except for Haven since they wanted a Maine feel for that.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Well you can't use any Canadian city to pose as Gotham.

(Or is it all in Metropolis?)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

XboxPants posted:

I don't see what the problem is. They've been on the island quite a while, especially Slade. Why are you so dead-sure that in all that time, they've never surveyed the area from a high point before? It's probably the first thing they did. Slade & Ollie didn't mention it because they already know the area.

It's not a problem, but it's a bit curious that they would suddenly show us (the viewers) this mysterious-looking building without saying anything or even acknowledging it. Just seemed odd, that's all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

VDay posted:

It's not a problem, but it's a bit curious that they would suddenly show us (the viewers) this mysterious-looking building without saying anything or even acknowledging it. Just seemed odd, that's all.

Fair enough! It does make sense that if they went to the trouble of CG-ing it in there's a good chance they'll return to it. Either that or it's just a random abandoned building for character. Most shows wouldn't go that far just for atmosphere, so good on them if that's the case.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Judging from Canary letting Roy go after seeing Thea's name on the phone and it being hinted that Bronze Tiger came in specifically to take on Ollie I think they are going to reveal Ollie was trained by the League of Assassins as was Canary, Tiger and maybe China White so they all know each others real identities.

I think it was more seeing the mention of Laurel on Roy's phone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

I hope they at least have a bronze BSG memorial plaque in Vancouver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think that he was probably trained by League of Assassins , he was probably trained by Richard Dragon like in the comics. I would be totally loving surprised if Richard Dragon does not show up this season even if Bronze Tiger is in the series now. So the possibility of him encountering Richard Dragon is probably pretty drat likely.

I would think for sure that this guy would be in the series at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Sensei_%28comics%29

It would just be a huge missed opportunity to not include him.

If he was trained by League of Assassins I think Merlyn would have known or he would have recognized it when Merlyn said that he met a man that changed his life.

The one character I am really looking forward to them introducing is Lady Shiva though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 27, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

CW actually films everything there, I think.

So does Syfy, except for Haven since they wanted a Maine feel for that.

Vampire Diaries is filmed in Georgia, which is a bit weird since Nina Dobrev is a Canuck like Mr. Arrow. I guess doing it in the same city as Twilight would be a bit too much. Our tv show industry is going well but movies have fallen way off.

quote:

Coincidentally the biggest mall in the city (second biggest in Canada, 12th in North America) is called Metropolis. It's in the 'burbs but big enough to get its own NYC style skyline around it - ok not quite.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

leidend posted:

Coincidentally the biggest mall in the city (second biggest in Canada, 12th in North America) is called Metropolis. It's in the 'burbs but big enough to get its own NYC style skyline around it - ok not quite.

Gotta leave some space for the CG artists to fill in for their fictional city of choice :v:

And regarding the death toll of the earthquake: I think everyone may have forgotten that literally less than half of the planned destruction of the Undertaking occurred, since Team Arrow stopped one of the quake machines. Between that and Moira making her announcement, the final death toll could easily be a fraction of what Malcom Merlyn was counting on. The fact that it was still one of the deadliest earthquakes in American history is seriously :stare:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 27, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't film any of the Nolan Batman films in Canada, it was Chicago for the first two and then Pittsburgh in the last (also I think they filmed some in England.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know they're ramping up the comic tie-ins big time but can we please ease up on comic talk about stuff not in the show. Like Batman. Yes, I know there's a lot of ripoff stuff with Batman and Green Arrow but that's been hammered into the ground for years. Also don't bring up backstory for characters that haven't even been introduced on the show yet please. I know some of you guys are like me and like all these comic nods and the directions they seem to be heading in, but there's plenty of people here that have never touched a comic so just let them experience this stuff when show introduces them if it even does. There is a TV thread in BSS now and it's pretty sparse on Arrow conversation last I checked. So maybe you fellow comic fans can initiate a little conversation there.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Eddain posted:

I think it was more seeing the mention of Laurel on Roy's phone.

This is how I took it as well. It's not as if Deathstroke and Shado aren't enough to train Ollie to his current level of badassness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

This is how I took it as well. It's not as if Deathstroke and Shado aren't enough to train Ollie to his current level of badassness.

I would think getting trained by the Champion of Capua would be more than enough

:colbert:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Deadpool posted:

I know they're ramping up the comic tie-ins big time but can we please ease up on comic talk about stuff not in the show. Like Batman. Yes, I know there's a lot of ripoff stuff with Batman and Green Arrow but that's been hammered into the ground for years. Also don't bring up backstory for characters that haven't even been introduced on the show yet please. I know some of you guys are like me and like all these comic nods and the directions they seem to be heading in, but there's plenty of people here that have never touched a comic so just let them experience this stuff when show introduces them if it even does. There is a TV thread in BSS now and it's pretty sparse on Arrow conversation last I checked. So maybe you fellow comic fans can initiate a little conversation there.

Yeah seconding this. I've never read the comics and know nothing about any of the characters or their backstories, and it really kills it for me when I read a ton about some character in this thread before they even show up on camera. Also the endless and pointless comparisons to batman are so awful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taffer posted:

Yeah seconding this. I've never read the comics and know nothing about any of the characters or their backstories, and it really kills it for me when I read a ton about some character in this thread before they even show up on camera. Also the endless and pointless comparisons to batman are so awful.

It's almost like the Game of Thrones thread in this respect.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

leidend posted:

big image

Really enjoying the new season so far, although I wish he was still ok with a little murder.

Took me a little out of the episode seeing the Lions pop up while Ollie and Slade were at the top of the peak.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

leidend posted:

Vampire Diaries is filmed in Georgia, which is a bit weird since Nina Dobrev is a Canuck like Mr. Arrow.

The pilot was filmed in Vancouver though.

The Originals is also filmed in Georgia. Nikita, Reign & BatB is filmed in Toronto. The Carrie Diaries is filmed in NY. HoD is California. SN, Arrow & TTP is Vancouver, which is actually less then I would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Holy poo poo. Didn't see it mentioned here previously but Moira's lawyer is Jean Loring. That's a neat little reference.

For more content however, I just spent the past week re-watching Season one getting my girlfriend up to speed with the show, and it's interesting how little pieces all fall together. Like in Deadshot's first appearance, (S1 spoiler) he tries to kill Walter at the sale of Unidac Industries, who made the earthquake device. Presumably Merlyn Sr. killed off the right people to make the sell the company, thereby hiding the fact that it was likely his company that bought the earthquake device.

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 30, 2013

• Locked thread