Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jacked it up and the springs are fine. So where's that rumbling noise coming from? CV joints are okay, rear bearings seem okay, diff seems to be weeping from the drain plug though, I'll have to see if I can check that this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll wait for the 4 door 2 series.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'll wait for the 4 door 2 series.

I feel like I'm getting wooshed here

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rscott posted:

I feel like I'm getting wooshed here

We all are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That seam across the front is the one thing that kills it for me. Why wouldn't they just push it a bit farther up? What designer thought "Perfectly rectangular hood, that's what everyone wants. I'll just cut across here."

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Saga posted:

From the dim and distant past when I had an E46, was there not a change in the loom for audio between pre-facelift and facelift? I seem to recall you couldn't really do an aux-in for pre-facelifts, at least on US cars, and that was one reason to buy a facelift. I could be imagining that.

Not quite correct. Early models can be equipped with a dice style adapter if the car is prewired for a CD changer. But you have to run it from the trunk to the front.

But even better, you can drop in a newer aux-in compatible head unit. Then you just need an antenna adapter and the right frequency new style antenna for the right C pillar diversity thingy. All of which can be obtained on eBay. There is a great guide somewhere.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Has anyone had any experience with the DISA rebuild kits from German Auto Solutions? If so, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to do?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I bought a rebuild kit on the advice of someone in this thread; I had no complaints about it. It's a pretty easy rebuild, and the kit goes together really well. It took me about an hour, at least half of which was scraping the old moulded gasket off the valve.

The hundred-odd dollar kit is a far cry from a new, $400 DISA valve (which will develop the exact same issue at some point, rather than fix it outright).

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 23, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the DISA rebuild kits from German Auto Solutions? If so, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to do?

Yes, I bought the rebuild kit from GAS and it is excellent. Great quality, much better design than the OEM part, and much cheaper than a new OEM part. Been running my rebuilt DISA for several months with no issues.

Old post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&userid=64037&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post413299316

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Its finally gotten cold in Georgia. Wonderful time to realize my blower works fine but the air that it blows is not hot! :smith:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rumbling noise is rear brakes, whoo, Sunday is booked up then.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
BMW brakes are super easy to service, aside from finding the right tool combination to remove the slide pins (rear is harder because of the shocks).

By the way, does everybody else NOT grease their slide pins? I read somewhere that BMW doesn't recommend it and so I didn't. I'm about 80% through a full set of brakes and have had great performance the entire way.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

BMW brakes are super easy to service, aside from finding the right tool combination to remove the slide pins (rear is harder because of the shocks).\

7mm allen bit from a socket set and the correct size ratcheting wrench for the end that would go into the bit holder. Never had issues trying to clear rear shocks on any BMW.

And I grease my slide pins, but the sleeves are brass :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I had the pleasure of driving Contraband's 2002 in Los Angeles this past weekend.

It was fun as heck.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any suggestions for a winter tire setup for an E92 M3? We get snow but I just won't drive those days. It's getting into the low 50s and I can already feel the stock tires are too stiff and take a long time to warm up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

How much snow do you see, and how well are the roads maintained in your area? Even though they are $$$$$, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Alpins. They're what Michelin calls a "performance winter tire", which means they give up a bit of snow/ice performance for better traction on wet or cold, bare pavement. I have a set on my E46 and I couldn't be happier with them. The only knock against them is that they are outrageously expensive for a winter tire, and it would only get worse in the sizes you'd be looking at for an M3.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

How much snow do you see, and how well are the roads maintained in your area? Even though they are $$$$$, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Alpins. They're what Michelin calls a "performance winter tire", which means they give up a bit of snow/ice performance for better traction on wet or cold, bare pavement. I have a set on my E46 and I couldn't be happier with them. The only knock against them is that they are outrageously expensive for a winter tire, and it would only get worse in the sizes you'd be looking at for an M3.

Very little snow. Maybe an inch once or twice during winter.

The roads here basically aren't maintained. It's like a third would country. I've been driving this new M3 on them for 6 months and its rattling like a 10 year old Mustang now.

Edit: WHELP

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 24, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

I had the pleasure of driving Contraband's 2002 in Los Angeles this past weekend.

It was fun as heck.

that paint job is sweet!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Very little snow. Maybe an inch once or twice during winter.

The roads here basically aren't maintained. It's like a third would country. I've been driving this new M3 on them for 6 months and its rattling like a 10 year old Mustang now.

That's not very much snow at all; do the roads get icy (from cold or freezing precip)? Also when I said maintained, I should have been more specific and asked "are the roads in your area cleared and/or salted/sanded promptly?"

Based on what you've said, I would probably pass on the more aggressive winter tires like Blizzaks and X-Ices and stick with something equivalent to the Pilot Alpin.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

That's not very much snow at all; do the roads get icy (from cold or freezing precip)? Also when I said maintained, I should have been more specific and asked "are the roads in your area cleared and/or salted/sanded promptly?"

Based on what you've said, I would probably pass on the more aggressive winter tires like Blizzaks and X-Ices and stick with something equivalent to the Pilot Alpin.

Pretty rarely get ice. They use sand here on below-freezing days and rarely have to plow. Thanks for the advice!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parts/brand question: I've a little clunk in the front right, with a little front to back play in that wheel. Pricing up a new lca I've an option to get lemforder, moog, ocap or q-drive. I've heard of none of these, any guidance? The bmw forums are 50%
"ALWAYS BUY OEM" :byodood: and 50%
"THEY'RE ALL THE SAME, GET THE CHEAPEST" :byodood:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I'm having an issue in my 07 Z4M Coupe; if i depress the clutch under 3k RPMs I get this shuttering type of sound from the rear end. My old E46 M3 (and a friends E92 M3) made pretty the same sound but not nearly as frequently, and only under 2k RPMs. The E46 was only 3 years old and the E92 was almost new so I always assumed it was nothing, but now that I'm dealing with a 6 year old car I have worries. Any ideas as to what this could be? If I'm very, very smooth on the clutch it doesn't seem to happen which makes me think it might be the CDV, is that a reasonable assumption? Any help would be appreciated. If something is wrong I'd like to know what to replace so I can take care of it ASAP.

edit: I'm also getting a pretty nasty rattle type sound from the motor around 2800-3300 RPMs. I am hoping this is just the infamous vanos rattle but I'd like to be sure. Over 3300 or so RPMs the sound goes way completely and I've driven the car for a few thousand miles this way with no other issues other than the sound. Is this basically what I would be expecting out of a vanos rattle or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem?

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 25, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Parts/brand question: I've a little clunk in the front right, with a little front to back play in that wheel. Pricing up a new lca I've an option to get lemforder, moog, ocap or q-drive. I've heard of none of these, any guidance? The bmw forums are 50%
Lemförder is a top quality OEM supplier, but at a high price of course. No idea about the others.

It's so tough to judge since almost no one owns a car long enough and changes parts often enough to truly test and compare the quality over time. I will say though that the small, vertically mounted front stabilizer sticks on my E34 tear in the rubber after about 1-2 years, buying cheapo ones.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cakefool posted:

My rule is that if the part can cause catastrophic failure, or is going to take me more than 2 hours to replace if it breaks again in short order, I spend the money for OEM. Otherwise, gently caress it the cheap parts are just as good.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Cakefool posted:

Lemforder is the best, probably followed by Moog on that list. The other two I haven't heard about. I'd stay away from cheap parts if it has a bushing, but I drive an E34 and they're terrible for getting a shimmy if the bushings aren't super great, and they chew up suspension parts.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Also I figured I'd post these here. From a recent early morning drive up in the mountains that resulted in some spectacular views.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 25, 2013

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Edit: I couldn't have been more wrong don't listen to me.

concise fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 26, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

8ender posted:

Lemforder is the best, probably followed by Moog on that list. The other two I haven't heard about. I'd stay away from cheap parts if it has a bushing, but I drive an E34 and they're terrible for getting a shimmy if the bushings aren't super great, and they chew up suspension parts.

Price wise they go lemforder, moog, q-drive, ocap. Ocap are £50, lemforder are £150. Thanks, I wanted opinions before I discussed price. I was thinking moog.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

omgitstheinternet posted:

I'm having an issue in my 07 Z4M Coupe; if i depress the clutch under 3k RPMs I get this shuttering type of sound from the rear end. My old E46 M3 (and a friends E92 M3) made pretty the same sound but not nearly as frequently, and only under 2k RPMs. The E46 was only 3 years old and the E92 was almost new so I always assumed it was nothing, but now that I'm dealing with a 6 year old car I have worries. Any ideas as to what this could be? If I'm very, very smooth on the clutch it doesn't seem to happen which makes me think it might be the CDV, is that a reasonable assumption? Any help would be appreciated. If something is wrong I'd like to know what to replace so I can take care of it ASAP.

edit: I'm also getting a pretty nasty rattle type sound from the motor around 2800-3300 RPMs. I am hoping this is just the infamous vanos rattle but I'd like to be sure. Over 3300 or so RPMs the sound goes way completely and I've driven the car for a few thousand miles this way with no other issues other than the sound. Is this basically what I would be expecting out of a vanos rattle or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem?

My '06 has both of these symptoms as well, FWIW.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Are you sure it's from the rear end? The dual mass flywheels in e46s tended to be pretty noisy/rattley when you clutch in, or when you turn the car off. If it's actually coming from the rear end you might want to check for play in the diff mounts.

concise posted:

This sounds exactly like VANOS rattle, and the job for replacing worn parts looks like a huge pain in the rear end. I replaced the VANOS gaskets on my M54 a couple weeks ago and it wasn't bad, but fixing the rattle is a lot more involved. To do that, you have to disassemble the valves to get at the worn bearing rings, then mess around with sanding the new rings until you get a proper fit. For the time you spend messing with that, you only save $130 vs buying a Dr. VANOS replacement and sending them yours.

If you can take apart the vanos and have a vise, you can fix the seals. It's maybe an extra hour to do it and you save a lot of money, especially since you don't have to gently caress with cores. Hell, on an e36 the seals are way easier than actually getting the vanos timed properly.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 25, 2013

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Also I figured I'd post these here. From a recent early morning drive up in the mountains that resulted in some spectacular views.

If I didn't have insatiable M3 lust, this would be my next car in a heartbeat. Also, I hate you and your mountains, we just have rolling hills here in middle TN which while pretty and poo poo tons of fun to drive, don't have the same views.

On a scale from not so bad to completely sucks how bad is changing a CCV in the e46? I've determined my problems are vacuum related so I'l looking at replacing it and the rubber intake arms next weekend. (When it is hopefully not freezing outside like it is this morning)

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Crustashio posted:

If you can take apart the vanos and have a vise, you can fix the seals. It's maybe an extra hour to do it and you save a lot of money, especially since you don't have to gently caress with cores. Hell, on an e36 the seals are way easier than actually getting the vanos timed properly.

Yeah dude you're totally right. The S engine VANOS isn't similar at all, and I was dead wrong on replacement unit cost difference. Not sure why I thought the Z4M had a M54...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
It's brake pad time for my e46 330Ci. Any reason to go with anything other than OEM pads if its just a DD'er that doesn't see any track/autox usage?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
No. The OEM pads (textar/pagid/whatever) are some of the best BMW pads if you don't mind the dust. I actually run them on my M3 and I autoX it a lot. And I find aftermarket pads either sacrifice feel or noise.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any thoughts on the LCI 5 series? I am thinking about replacing my '08 750Li with something smaller, but I recall the F10 had issues at launch. Mrs Mango still drives an E61 (yes the wagon, no we aren't ever selling it) and the N54 has been good except for all of the HPFP and related issues...

To realize I am probably insane to keep the 7 past it's warranty, and I may not want to go CPO again as it wasn't the best experience overall, and a new 7 is more than I want to spend.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any thoughts on the LCI 5 series? I am thinking about replacing my '08 750Li with something smaller, but I recall the F10 had issues at launch. Mrs Mango still drives an E61 (yes the wagon, no we aren't ever selling it) and the N54 has been good except for all of the HPFP and related issues...

To realize I am probably insane to keep the 7 past it's warranty, and I may not want to go CPO again as it wasn't the best experience overall, and a new 7 is more than I want to spend.

A friend just picked up an LCI 535 x-wagon. Aside from the car being absolutely stunning with the M performance options, they are loving it. Already taken it to Montana (from Oregon) and back all without issue. The HPFP issue seems tended to with the latest revision of hardware, so that might not be as much of an issue as previously experienced i.e., I had two fail within the first 2500 miles of ownership of my LCI 335i.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any gotchas as far as doing rear pads at home on a LCI 335 diesel?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 26, 2013

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any gotchas as far as doing rear pads at home on a LCI 335 diesel?

Don't forget brake pad wear sensors ;) Otherwise, all systems green lighted.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ultimate Mango posted:

There are a lot of nice upgrades and NAV is now standard, etc but then they add in stuff like charging $1900 USD more for LED lights.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730644

F10 is pretty big now 193 inches so test drive it for sure. I also would not recommend the 6-speed MT in a 535 - it doesn't feel right in a car this big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I am replacing my valve cover gasket, and everything looks pretty good without any obvious sludge, except my vanos unit is uniformly solid brown with caked/burnt oil. Is there any reason why this might be? Engine has 155k, M52 328Ci.