Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

No way that someone can have it by now. I think the game launched around May and I have 178 coins now and I only missed a few dailies.

Well, at least by the time I've saved up for it, we'll know whether or not it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hammerstein posted:

Ioun Stones are -33%. Get yours now.

I can't tell what the effects are -- just extra bonuses from the slotted items?

EDIT: Ah, and the base buffs. Seems like it's more useful at the endgame, and some purple leadership dude would be better while leveling?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 25, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Given that you will have to pay out the rear end for almost all purple companions (I think the phorea is the cheapest at $5) it's probably wisest to just wait on spending any cash. You really don't need a companion for leveling but if you really do, healers will give you better survivability the the rest aren't needed because you're capable of doing your own DPS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Richard M Nixon posted:

Given that you will have to pay out the rear end for almost all purple companions (I think the phorea is the cheapest at $5) it's probably wisest to just wait on spending any cash. You really don't need a companion for leveling but if you really do, healers will give you better survivability the the rest aren't needed because you're capable of doing your own DPS.

OK, thanks. I think I might be undergeared, then, because I'm getting rocked pretty well by some of the pulls in Helm's Hold at 31. Will peek at the AH for upgrades. (The *recommended* thing seems pretty unreliable, unless I'm really misunderstanding the value of different stats.)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Interociter posted:

OK, thanks. I think I might be undergeared, then, because I'm getting rocked pretty well by some of the pulls in Helm's Hold at 31. Will peek at the AH for upgrades. (The *recommended* thing seems pretty unreliable, unless I'm really misunderstanding the value of different stats.)

This game lets you speed your way to 60, there's really not much need to invest in either companions or gear until you get there. If you get good gear on the way, cool, but don't worry too much about it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Ignore the recommended loot, just go to the AH and search for loot that's your level and sort by price. Maybe you'll find a few good things. I did my leveling with all self-found gear and didn't find it to be challenging at all. If you're a tank or healer your DPS might be a bit lacking but you should be able to wipe things out easily enough. Do some dungeon or skirmish runs for gear upgrades if you can, but it shouldn't make or break you either way.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Hammerstein posted:

Ioun Stones are -33%. Get yours now.

Oh, that explains why the price of zen shot up.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Semisponge posted:

Oh, that explains why the price of zen shot up.

I made a sweet 1.4 mill AD from that brief surge in Zen price by trading AD/Zen.

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Hammerstein posted:

I made a sweet 1.4 mill AD from that brief surge in Zen price by trading AD/Zen.

I think I've made the highest profits of playing that market. I want a streaming price tracker like the stock market, so i can do it more often.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

The Halloween preview doesn't have much in the way of details, but it looks nice and festive nonetheless. What's everyone hoping for? I'd love a pumpkin hat. A beholder companion would be :krad: but I think that's reaching.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5028776/neverwinters-next-expansion-adds-hunter-class-paragon-paths-and-more

Module 2, ranger class, and paragon paths announced. Also, Artifacts, which will give an extra equipment slot and level up and give an extra ability. Slated for "by the end of the year", so no surprises there. Oh, also they basically said the next class after that will be druid.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Wow, I always assumed orcs or dragonborn would be announced by now. Instead it's elves. Elves and more elves. Elves all the way down.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

quote:

In an interesting twist, the Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter will gain access to each other's Paragon paths following the module's release — meaning both classes can choose from the Swordmaster and Iron Vanguard Paragon options.

Woooowwwwww that is complete lovely garbage. :mad:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Semisponge posted:

Woooowwwwww that is complete lovely garbage. :mad:

That is some weird, weird poo poo. I've not looked at GWF's paragon path, does it actually make sense for a GF?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Not really, no. The majority of the feats refer to powers or mechanics that the other class doesn't have, and the powers aren't that great. For reference, the GF paragon powers are
Threating Rush
Frontline Surge
Indomitable Strength

The GWF paragon powers are
Weapon Master's Strike
Flourish
Cresendo

Each paragon path also has some mediocre-to-average class features as well.

Actually, a GWF with Frontline Surge and Threating Rush would be pretty nice, so they could actually mark enemies and have a decent AoE power. Though then you'd have to choose between Sure Strike, Wicked Strike, (or Reaping Strike :toot:) for your other at-will, which means you're terrible at either AoE or single target damage.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the DC paragon path is garbage, and the TR and CW paragon paths are somewhere inbetween "niche" and "irrelevant". Of course, that's just how they look from the descriptions that have been leaked.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

However it ends up working out, if this means my guardian fighter can be a little more wrecking ball-y than it is already I'll approve. I'm liking zipping all over the place and smashing poo poo down to the ground.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
gently caress Rangers, gently caress Druids, I want a Warlord class.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dilb posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the DC paragon path is garbage, and the TR and CW paragon paths are somewhere inbetween "niche" and "irrelevant". Of course, that's just how they look from the descriptions that have been leaked.

What is the new Rogue paragon path supposed to be? The article mentions all of the others but even after a quick Google search I couldn't find any hint at what the TR will get. I'm kind of expecting it to be some kind of non-stealth focused alternative to the Infiltrator path.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I'm going to put my money on the new Rogue PP being Daggermaster.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are they going to offer free respecs for the new paragon paths, or are you simply going to be stuck paying for it if you want out of what was the only choice at the time?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The powers for the new paths can be seen on the official forums. They're from the test server, and are the same things people dug out a while ago.

TRs get a second ranged at-will, but it's damage over time so the DPS is almost certainly terrible. It might be nice for perma-stealth TRs.

The DC abilities seem like they'll probably be mediocre. For example, the armour bonus feature needs to give 22 AC to match what you get from foresight (including feats).

There will probably be free respecs, there were for Sharandar.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dilb posted:

TRs get a second ranged at-will, but it's damage over time so the DPS is almost certainly terrible. It might be nice for perma-stealth TRs.

Unless the tooltip just doesn't mention it, it looks like the new at-will may not have a limited number of charges like Cloud of Steel, which could potentially be useful. The encounter and the daily both seem like they could be kind of cool (prone is always a useful effect) and depending on the damage Razor Action could provide some nice bonus AoE. Now that I actually look at what skills are part of Master Infiltrator I could see the new path being viable as something focused on raw damage rather than MI's more support-oriented powers.

I wonder if they're going to change the Sneaky Stabber perk so it won't be totally useless for anybody who's not a Master Infiltrator.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

It's disturbing that someone thought that running around and talking to multiple NPCs 600 times was a good idea for getting the tokens converted in order to buy the companion.

It's even more disturbing that someone has already collected enough tokens to put one of the companions on the auction house. :psyduck:

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
Every time I see something like decreasing the maximum targets that shield can hit or the past repeated TR damage nerfs or even decreasing the average reward potential for completing a dungeon by making chest loot bind on pickup I facepalm at the blatant time sink grab to keep you logged in for a single extended period.

Neverwinter basically is progressing to turn every epic dungeon into a timesink on par with a Shadow Shard TF with Castle Never being Dr. Quarterfield.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

So I was leveling and mostly ignoring the event and started to intuit that actually playing the game is the least efficient way to do the event. I was hoping that was just an insane anecdotal experience, but it seems that this event is literally designed around spending hours doing laps in the city hub without actually doing anything else if you wanted, for some reason, to buy everything. :cripes:

On a different note, does anyone have a favorite DC build? I've hit level 50 and realize I'm probably going to have to scum some of the free zen offers for a respec, so I'd like to make it count.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Is this game even enjoyable? This thread is reading like you all just got back from the dentist.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebub posted:

Is this game even enjoyable? This thread is reading like you all just got back from the dentist.
It's... okay. It's a typical NCSoft game, has a kind of City of Heroes feel to it. The combat can be kind of repetitive, and the classes are poorly-balanced.

Control Wizard is fun, though.

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

WebDO posted:

On a different note, does anyone have a favorite DC build? I've hit level 50 and realize I'm probably going to have to scum some of the free zen offers for a respec, so I'd like to make it count.

Sure. Keep in mind this is for human.

http://nwcalc.com/dc?b=nlr:4zj1v:6xvg,13lf315:66000:b4000:bu5u1&h=1

I don't play the cookie cutter Hallowed Ground build that you'll find almost every DC playing. I found in practice that build does not capitalize on the mitigating potential a DC has. Most people will make a HG build that uses Moon Touched feat. You can still get that particular benefit by playing a shell game with the numbers and boosting your heals with Deepstone Blessing. HG trades a risk of advancing your character closer to the overall combat for a damage bonus that does not justify it when you are thinking epic/endgame. You can still use HG for clearing trash just for the damage boost between bosses, but I am talking epic boss fights which are the real stress test of your mitigation.

The encounter rotation I use now is Astral Shield, Bastion of Health, Sun Burst. At-wills are Astral Seal and Sacred Flame. Class features I use Foresight and Divine Fortune.

Astral Shield and Bastion don't always perfectly cover the downtime of the other, but that's what Sun Burst and Divine Armor are for. Basically once you have the timing down the focus is filling in gaps to maintain constant combat advantage nullification via the Divine Advantage feat, debuffing the boss with Astral Seal via the Power of Oppression feat. Divine Armor also offers more flexibility since it's a "cast and once people have it they don't have to stay inside a specific area" (which is great for bosses like the spider queen which can be outside of HG almost right away or dracolich which can require you dividing your concentration between the area with the tank and the guys dealing with adds), and you don't have to move in to cover the combat area with it you can cast from range.

I'm making a lot of assumptions with this post that the basics are covered like you know to cast blue Astral Shield and never yellow. Bastion and Sun Burst can help build divinity and mitigate damage. Yes I still have 5 power points floating which is in case they ever changed another power radically in a patch or something.

e: More relevant info -

Power: 4348
Recovery: 3851
Critical Strike: 3219

Get that recovery up with gear so that you can get as close to a perfect overlap of your powers as possible. The 2 part War Prophet set and 2 part High Prophet set both give +400 recovery each to help you get a start.

Railgun fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2013

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Beelzebub posted:

This game definitely has it's moments and the action combat is fast-paced and fun. Some dungeons like Castle Never are a bit too long and can be a drag to complete, especially with a pub group and the predominant boss mechanic is "juggle adds", but I think the ranger might bring some variety to that since we finally get a dedicated striker with good ranged dps.

Give it a try, it's free and the first playthrough is quite enjoyable.

Besides, when do the other goons play ? I usually log in around 7pm GMT+1 to do my dailies and have never seen anyone in dndgoons since a week and with the upcoming expansion I would like to get into the dungeon grind again.

Edit: Ranger is already playable on the Preview Shard, just posting this because I had missed it too.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 1, 2013

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Some parts of the game are fun. I especially enjoyed the story quests and levelling up.

The part that people ask questions about, however, are the Skinner-box time-sinks (whether that's running around for hours for a hat, or spending 3 hours in a dungeon because there are so many adds) and blatant cash-grabs (the vast majority of the crafting and upgrade systems).

I tried out the ranger on the test server, and it's shaping up to be pretty fun. Oddly enough it seems more like another controller, but I've only tried a couple of powers so far. The class mechanic (like the CWs freeze) is "entangling vines", and the first daily draws enemies together, but towards a line.

The GF and GWF paragon paths are exactly like they sound: literally just a copy of each others powers, with 3 paragon feats changed to refer to the new powers. I really don't see why a GF would ever go with the new path, unless they're dead set on Crescendo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Logitech promotion code for Archmage's Apprentice Companion

quote:

AMJ94-T9C-37LP

ONLY REDEEM IF YOU ARE OVER 13 OKAY GUYS

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Logitech promotion code for Archmage's Apprentice Companion

ONLY REDEEM IF YOU ARE OVER 13 OKAY GUYS

Thanks a lot for this kind Sir.

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Hammerstein posted:

This game definitely has it's moments and the action combat is fast-paced and fun. Some dungeons like Castle Never are a bit too long and can be a drag to complete, especially with a pub group and the predominant boss mechanic is "juggle adds", but I think the ranger might bring some variety to that since we finally get a dedicated striker with good ranged dps.

Give it a try, it's free and the first playthrough is quite enjoyable.

Besides, when do the other goons play ? I usually log in around 7pm GMT+1 to do my dailies and have never seen anyone in dndgoons since a week and with the upcoming expansion I would like to get into the dungeon grind again.

Edit: Ranger is already playable on the Preview Shard, just posting this because I had missed it too.

How is the ranger? Am I going to be disappointed for buying extra character slots?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Gravity Works posted:

How is the ranger? Am I going to be disappointed for buying extra character slots?

Well I'm only level 14 now so it's too early to tell, but so far it feels like a ranged version of the rogue with insane dps in pve. Looking at the skill tree it seems that the key to getting the most out of the ranger will be to properly weave between ranged and melee stance - since the skills are on separate cooldowns.

Also the archery paragon tree has some great feats like non-crits adding 5% crit chance per hit, a 10% crit severity feat and a +20% damage feat depending on the range to the target.

The class will probably be incredible op in the beginning since you can constantly do good dps from melee or from ranged, I guess this will also make many boss fights a push over. Take Pirate King for example: usually you have 4 guys on the mobs while 1 TR solos the boss. On my TR I constantly had to weave in and out of range because of the boss aoe and being at range crippled my dps, the ranger will have no such issue. Same applies to any mobs with nasty pbaoes. The ranger also has several buffs which might come in handy.

Also there's a lot more on the preview center: the new refinement system seems nice - you can now "feed" any rune/enchant into your stones, it works a bit like an xp bar. All the companions have received a passive buff which applies to the owner. There's a new dungeon and campaign, a new item class (artifacts) and of course new paragon paths - and GWF with Iron Vanguard is pretty good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did Wolf Den (at 42, not 60) with 3 CW, GF, TR, but I lost power and internet as we approached the last boss. Was hella fun as far as I got, though, and used fewer than 5 pots the whole time. I haven't played a game in a while where you had a decent chance without a healer on even sub-bosses (or trash, usually), so that was pretty neat.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Actually the best way to deal with pirate king (and many other bosses) is to just crowd around him and whale on him til he's dead. Seems to work pretty well.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Semisponge posted:

Actually the best way to deal with pirate king (and many other bosses) is to just crowd around him and whale on him til he's dead. Seems to work pretty well.

With goons it does, with pubbies half of them won't dodge out of his aoe lifesteal and die horribly.

Secret pro strat: the new refinement system works like an exp bar. And a cheap level 7 training runestone gives just as much exp as a more expensive type. So now might be the time to buy out all the cheap crappy ones from the AH and turn a profit later.

See the pic: a cheap lesser Tranquil and an expensive lesser Tenebrous enchant give the same points. Same for the training and empowerment runestone (the 2k one is a vorpal shard).

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 3, 2013

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I can only hope the new refining system is made less terrible (AD to upgrade everything, separate inventory slots for enchantments based on their refinement point), or else I'm just going to ignore it entirely. Rank 4's in everything!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Dilb posted:

I can only hope the new refining system is made less terrible (AD to upgrade everything, separate inventory slots for enchantments based on their refinement point), or else I'm just going to ignore it entirely. Rank 4's in everything!

I think it's gonna stand and fall with the drop rate of purple catalysts in epic dungeons. If there is a decent chance then I see no problem with the new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I found a dev post on the official forums that actually did a nice job explaining the new system.

The basic idea is that instead of hoarding dozens of rank 3s and 4s, you immediately use up enchantments to upgrade stuff you have slotted. You only need to upgrade a single enchantment for each slot (until you want to make rank 8 stuff or normal weapon/armour enchantments), and you can easily pop it out to upgrade your equipment (because it costs a tiny bit of gold to remove stuff).

Random enchantments are now XP for your gear, and wards only exist to keep you from losing catalysts to random chance.

And oh jeeze, there's going to be a gateway game where you send your companions off on adventures. I just sent my dog, cat, and pig, (and wererat thief) off to a lizardfolk dungeon. :3:

The pig answered a riddle. :3:

• Locked thread