Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
You might want to check out Jin Takemiya's works in general. She's done Fragments of Love, which has come up before in this thread (which is where I first heard of it), but she's done quite a few other things, all of which prominently star lesbian characters. One theme that she seems to be quite fond of writing about it is homosexuality in general in Japan, which is a theme I always like seeing explored in yuri works.

One manga that's come to my attention lately is Serika Yamaguchi's Dandelion Among Lilies. There's only three chapters so far, but I really like the art style, and if you're into it, it starts with the relationship and goes in the opposite direction. That is to say, the main character's sister is already in a relationship with a woman, but the first few chapters are about that relationship falling apart due to just a question, so if you ready those three chapters and decide it's for you, that might be something to keep an eye on, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I like longer running series though. I like to marathon a series over a couple days and then not read any comics again for like 6 months. :v:

Also I hate finishing things I really like, because then there's no more of it and I have to find something else to read/watch/whatever. I have so many books that I love but I haven't finished and probably will never finish just because I don't want them to be over.

Sylphid posted:

You might want to check out Jin Takemiya's works in general. She's done Fragments of Love, which has come up before in this thread (which is where I first heard of it), but she's done quite a few other things, all of which prominently star lesbian characters. One theme that she seems to be quite fond of writing about it is homosexuality in general in Japan, which is a theme I always like seeing explored in yuri works.

Yeah I saw a kitten talking about her earlier in the thread. Wasn't sure what to read; I'll probably go with Fragments of Love since it's the longest. :v:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 19, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, Love Fourteen is actually pretty amazing and also funny too. A chunk of chapters in and it seems to be about two 14-year-old childhood friends who have wound up being the "mature" people of their respective genders in their class, but in reality are just like everyone else. They've decided, for whatever reason, to keep up this facade and hide their relationship from everyone. It's actually really drat adorable and funny. Definitely going to keep reading this one. I love the word balloons that have their chibi "actual persona" reacting to what's happening inside it.

The scanlation is garbage but is still understandable. Though it does lead to maybe my favorite mistranslation(that keeps happening), "Class Rooster" instead of class roster. Hilarious.

edit: hmmmm, creepy stalker girl and student-teacher relationship suddenly popped up, not too fond of those. But the main two are still great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 19, 2013

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
for yuri I'd also recommend Aqua Blue Cinema and other Otsu Hiyori stuff too although the rest is mostly oneshots

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

a kitten posted:

Huh, Wandering Son Vol. 5 is listed as being released if you go on fantagraphic's site, but amazon says it's not out until November.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son-vol.-5.html

Gonna order it direct and see what happens.

A bit late, but it's definitely out. I've got my copy sitting right here.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Bonnouji chapter 32 is out, dealing with diet and landmines.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Isn't Bonnouji over in Japan? I wonder how many chapters of it we've yet to get.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Knowing this series, somehow I was a little disappointed actual landmines weren't involved.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

A bit late, but it's definitely out. I've got my copy sitting right here.

My order is confirmed, but I haven't actually received it yet. :(

What the? Bonnouji chapter 32.5? Yay for more Bonnouji!

:argh:Meat buns:argh:

edit:
I haven't really discovered anything new lately, so I think everyone else already has you covered. Poor Poor Lips and Fragments of Love are definitely worth reading. I can't remember what all I might have suggested before, but if you flip through my post history in this thread (click the "?" under my avatar) you might find something or another to read.

Oh and Sasameki Koto does start kind of rough I guess, I thought it continually improved as it went along though and by the end I found it to be pretty drat good.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 21, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sasameki Koto and Girl Friends definitely both suffer from the 'artificially prolong the MCs getting together through stereotypical shoujo romance misunderstandings' problem, though it was most noticeable when they were being released monthly or even rarer. Sasameki Koto is worth it for the crying faces alone though, while I find the art-style in general just nice and serviceable, the author really knows how to draw crying.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Lovely Complex was so loving fabulous. The voice acting was top notch, the facial animation was hilarious, and the pacing and humor was top notch. I'm going to watch Paradise Kiss next, but I think Lovely Complex has set my standards too high :qq:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 83

Oh my god, that was adorable :3:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Read Octave over two painfully sweet nights. Ugh, now I need more.

Thanks to this thread for all the suggestions. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love every time Sawako and Kurumi interact.

In news that is awesome, but unrelated to Kimi no Todoke: :woop:
Sasameki Koto gets English edition next year!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-27/sasameki-koto/whispered-words-yuri-manga-listed-by-retailer

Now someone do Octave and Aoi Hana.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 27, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

Read Octave over two painfully sweet nights. Ugh, now I need more.

Thanks to this thread for all the suggestions. :)

I really wish I could say more productive things about Octave, but I can't. It's just really, really, really good. The way it captures emotion and romance is unparalleled. It communicates despair, hopelessness, love, passion, and hope in such an expert way. Yukino is such a flawed protagonist in many ways, but you just can't help feeling at the end those two are going to be alright.

I made a big post a month and a half ago or so with my thoughts on it in greater detail, but :unsmith: is basically how I can sum up my feelings on it. That moment when Yukino's mom essentially says she doesn't mind at all her daughter is in a relationship with a woman because she has so much faith in her child is such an incredibly sweet moment. I'd say my favorite part of the story.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I like Octave, but I think other stories do the emotional turmoil thing better, and also are more enjoyable reads. It's a really well rounded, in depth story outside of that aspect though, but a bit too long. Just my opinion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bonnouji 33

The world is in danger! Save us, Robonnouji!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not usually too into Shoujo but Sasamaki Koto was really good. Has the creator done anything else?

Or is there anything similar? I don't know much about hentai but I have a feeling that's what I'll get if I try looking. :v:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I'm not usually too into Shoujo but Sasamaki Koto was really good. Has the creator done anything else?

Or is there anything similar? I don't know much about hentai but I have a feeling that's what I'll get if I try looking. :v:

The short Kase-san series by Takashima Hiromi might be interesting to you. It basically has all the same tropes as Sasameki does.

Other than that, you might want to try looking into one-shot stuff more. There's a lot of quality there with the right authors, but also a lot of explicit stuff. Obviously the two are not exclusive, but if you shop around long enough you're bound to find something you'll really like. A story called Not For Sale by Amano Shuninta that I read just yesterday is a perfect example of a one-shot that combines explicit (but nothing too horrible, don't worry) and really high-quality writing. The author definitely has a love for yuri.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ore Monogatari is coming stateside yall!!! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-11/viz-adds-terra-formars-ore-monogatari-black-rose-alice-manga

Oh and I found a pretty funny zombie rom-com. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shikabane-Cherry

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anatharon posted:

What did you like about it?

If it was specifically because it was about two girls try:
Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk if you liked the humor and drama all mixed together
Aoi Hana by Shimura Takako if you mainly liked the sweetness and drama
Octave by Akiyam Haru is great, way heavy on the drama though.

If it was just the comedy and romance regardless of the genders:
Lovely Complex by Aya Nakahara is hilarious and touching, frequently at the same time.
Paradise Kiss by Ai Yazawa is more dramatic than funny, but boy is it ever funny sometimes.

Captain Invictus put together a pretty good list of stuff that he liked a while back. (which saves me the trouble of typing up longer reviews) Since the time of that post Aoi Hana has had its final volumes scanned and translated.

Speaking of Aoi Hana; I ran across this and thought it was pretty cool. It's all the covers that Shimura did for the magazine that it ran in.

Love those watercolors.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Two smaller Yuri stories I've really enjoyed with the reluctant female "but I'm straight?" Plot development are:

Kase-san by Takashima Hiromi (done? Maybe more but along wait!)
Ditzy but earnest girl comes to terms with her feelings. Also learns how to run. Cute hair! Cute clothes! Cute and more cute with a bit of pretty on top.

Under One Roof by Fujio (ongoing)
Quiet but cute girl rents apartment from an a mostly out lesbian and slowly gets more attached. I usually find four panel stuff bland but it switches from cute and deformed to a more realistic style super effectively. Fast read. I need more! Q_Q.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 15, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, uh, the latest House of the Sun certainly made some significant progress, alright. As soon as he refused the confession, I knew a confession from either him or Mao was coming pretty soon, but I didn't expect something to happen in the same chapter! :stare:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, uh, the latest House of the Sun certainly made some significant progress, alright. As soon as he refused the confession, I knew a confession from either him or Mao was coming pretty soon, but I didn't expect something to happen in the same chapter! :stare:

That was a great. So glad Hiro finally sacked up and rejected Sugimoto, I felt like that had dragged on a little bit too long. His monologue right afterwards was so sweet, too :kimchi: I feel really bad for Daiki though, and am expecting some sort of blowout between him and Hiro soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meh, Daiki wussed out on his confession and was all wishy-washy about it to begin with. Hiro went straight for the throat. Or rather, the lips. With his, there's not really a possibility of confusion what with Mao's legendarily dense romantic sense.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I found a rather cute short story on Danbooru (NSFW ad warning) about a shy girl who meets a friend on Twitter.

It's a nice, honest little story, good for a quick read!

coathat
May 21, 2007

The My Little Monster ova finally got subbed. It's hilarious and exceptionally dumb. Now I'm even more hyped to get volume one come March.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shuuden-na-Kankei
Hibari is a young professional who works long hours and inevitably rides the last train home. It's not all bad. She also runs into the train station worker, Yokose. Yokose is kind and polite and is always looking out for Hibari as she often sleeps defenselessly (and with a bit of drool) on her way home. Their brief encounters are a bright spot in her hectic days.

It's cute.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New Chihayafuru! Suou is the best

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

Hibari is a young professional who works long hours and inevitably rides the last train home. It's not all bad. She also runs into the train station worker, Yokose. Yokose is kind and polite and is always looking out for Hibari as she often sleeps defenselessly (and with a bit of drool) on her way home. Their brief encounters are a bright spot in her hectic days.

It's cute.
So yeah, I decided to have a wee look in this thread since I've been reading a fuckload of gross seinen (Parasyte, Uzumaki) and this manga looks like a really nice palate cleanser. Looking forward to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

So yeah, I decided to have a wee look in this thread since I've been reading a fuckload of gross seinen (Parasyte, Uzumaki) and this manga looks like a really nice palate cleanser. Looking forward to it.

If you need some recommendations, scroll down about a third of the way here. After that I've made a bunch of other recommendations too.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For more recommendations, I'd chime in for Amano Shuninta's works in general. Her yuri tends toward the more light-hearted side, but she's done more serious stuff, like the Not for Sale story I mentioned above. It's about a prostitute who gets propositioned by a woman, the first time it's happened to her, but as the date of the appointment draws closer, they discover their feelings for each other growing more intense, until the day of the appointment, when they confess their love for each other.

She has three series, one of which is ongoing right now. Her two completed ones are about a group of girls who visit the same hot spring resort as the resort itself gets more popular, and the one I liked more is Sweet Guilty Love Bites, which is a collection of stories about four women who all work at the same club and their partners.

Of particular note in Love Bites is a story about one of the hosts, who is a single mother, and has a drunken one-night stand with a woman. Soon after, she sees the woman again, except this time as her daughter's pre-school teacher. Her story sees her discover her feelings for the woman as genuine, and after another encounter at a love motel, they decide to move in together and raise the daughter together, while remaining girlfriends. It's a very :unsmith: kind of story.

And of Captain Invictus' list, Octave and Sasameki Koto come highly recommended by me, as well. Sasameki is getting licensed soon, so it's probably best to wait until it gets released.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks. I'll definitely check some of those out after I've read Shuuden na Kankei, which seems really short. I'm reading Chihayafuru at the moment, but since I've seen the anime already I'm not in a huge rush to burn through it.

Between all the recommendations I got in the seinen thread and the apparent promise in the shoujo/josei genres, I think my tastes are much better catered for in the manga format than in anime. Maybe because there's less of a commercial obstacle in actually getting a manga on the shelves, so there's more variety and experimentation. There seem to be more stories about contemporary adult life, anyway.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

There seem to be more stories about contemporary adult life, anyway.

Wait, so you're saying life doesn't stop when you turn 20?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Between all the recommendations I got in the seinen thread and the apparent promise in the shoujo/josei genres, I think my tastes are much better catered for in the manga format than in anime. Maybe because there's less of a commercial obstacle in actually getting a manga on the shelves, so there's more variety and experimentation. There seem to be more stories about contemporary adult life, anyway.

That's certainly my experience. A lot of great stuff I would have never heard of if I didn't start reading manga. It's an unfortunate circumstance that only the most popular of popular stuff tends to get animated adaptations, but you could look at it another way. A lot of stories are really nice to read in manga form, but would lose something in an anime. The way the author arranges panels, draws expressions, etc. is entirely their decision. They can tell their story exactly the way they want to, but with an anime it has to go through a certain filter that maybe loses something the author intended.

So, it's a mixed bag, but a healthy mix of both is best I think. For romance stuff, in particular there doesn't seem to be a lot of niche stuff, so the manga world is easier to get into for authors who have good ideas and how to present them.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I finally started reading Wandering Son and argh I'm so jealous of their ability to pass. I know that's dumb because they're like 12 and all 12 year olds look pretty much the same but ugh Shuichi is so cute. ;_;

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I found a rather cute short story on Danbooru (NSFW ad warning) about a shy girl who meets a friend on Twitter.

It's a nice, honest little story, good for a quick read!

That was indeed pretty cute, never would have seen it otherwise--I basically never go to danbooru.

coathat posted:

It's cute.

Oh it's josei? Cool, I haven't found a new josei series to read in a while so I'll definitely be giving it a look.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just wish there was more non-creepy josei stuff translated. Seems like every time I run across one that is just cute/sweet it only has 2-3 chapters and was dropped forever. I know a lot of them are short anyway and that also kinda frustrates me because I like a longer story.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a new chapter of Yasha out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Yasha
It's by Yoshida Akimi who you might know as the mangaka behind Banana Fish. Yasha is pretty similar to Banana Fish but with a sci-fi twist.

And there's another look into the competitive world of fashion in the latest chapter of Real Clothes. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Real-Clothes/Vol-005-Ch-036-Read-Online?id=178604

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

coathat posted:

It's cute.

We need more cuter older people in manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

It's cute.

Yeah, that was really cute. I liked the character designs and art a lot.