Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Any early word on WRC4? Saw it on Steam. Curious as to where it falls on the Sim<-->Arcade spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Its right over in the far side of Arcade, but not quite there. Its more like... erm, the Colin McRay 05. Almost.

But its not very good. I'm getting massive drops in framerates (from say, a sold 60 to under 15) depending on the level and it really doesn't look that crash hot. I would say there is no way its worth its current price point. Maybe $10 - $15.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got a refund on 3 because it felt like garbage. There's not even a demo for 4.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

tehsid posted:

It's dog poo poo.

Afraid of that. Oh well. Reiza's latest Game Stock Car is supposed to be pretty good; I may try that.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why is it so hard to make a good rally sim? Was there some kind of one-in-a-billion genius working on RBR? If yes, where is he now? Hiding in some monastery high up in the Himalayas, guarding his secrets? There hasn't been a good rally game in ten. loving. years. Just remake RBR already and add driving aids like every simmy racing game does these days.

I'm angry. Angry about racing on gravel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GhostDog posted:

Why is it so hard to make a good rally sim? Was there some kind of one-in-a-billion genius working on RBR? If yes, where is he now?
Eero Piitulainen.

Not sure what he's doing how, but for being the supposed physics god everyone's making him out to be due to RBR, the same people also seemed to hate his other work, namely SHIFT 1 and 2. Last thing I know is that he was supposedly working on a MMO racer called Driver's Republic, but the lean info that was available on the web disappeared meanwhile.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

Why is it so hard to make a good rally sim? Was there some kind of one-in-a-billion genius working on RBR? If yes, where is he now? Hiding in some monastery high up in the Himalayas, guarding his secrets? There hasn't been a good rally game in ten. loving. years. Just remake RBR already and add driving aids like every simmy racing game does these days.

I'm angry. Angry about racing on gravel.

I would drive the poo poo out of RBR, but I can't get force feedback to work with it on my Fanatec.

I thought RFactor2 was supposed to have some offroad racing originally... maybe something will come out of that eventually. Going by their current development rate, I expect a demo in another decade or so.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

I thought RFactor2 was supposed to have some offroad racing originally... maybe something will come out of that eventually. Going by their current development rate, I expect a demo in another decade or so.

There is an rFactor 2 demo.

Don't expect any off road or point-to-point within the next year though. Infact, it's possible neither will materialize at all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wait I'm having a ton of fun with WRC4 v:shobon:v

As for framerate I disabled Vsync and forced it through RadeonPro. No more stutters.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CaseFace McGee posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of RBR, but I can't get force feedback to work with it on my Fanatec.

Download the Logitech drivers, boot the wheel into PS3 mode, and then select the wheel as a G25 in the RBR settings. Works for my CSR-E anyway.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

There is an rFactor 2 demo.

I meant a demo of offroad racing, I bought rF2 before the current demo was released. I think point-to-point racing may happen in another year, but I think off-road will be split into another product, if it happens at all.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Download the Logitech drivers, boot the wheel into PS3 mode, and then select the wheel as a G25 in the RBR settings. Works for my CSR-E anyway.

I'll give that a shot, thanks! It will probably work just as well with my CSR.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 26, 2013

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Project CARS added the McLaren 12C and F1. The 12C drives like a magical spaceship. I think the F1 physics aren't very far along. Or it's just the extreme power :supaburn:, when I tried to drive it the rear sways around like an old muscle car that goes really really fast. I love how there are two rear view mirrors to cover both of the tiny windows in the back.

I wish there was some way to cheat the game into making the grass behave like gravel or tarmac or something instead of grass for testing, I'm bad at staying on the track and every time the tires touch the grass the whole car goes screwy.

Ether Frenzy posted:

This is what I did with the normal CSR. I think some old games work better when you make the wheel pretend it's a Logitech.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Does anyone here know the magical formula to get actual linear steering in rFactor/isiMotor games with a T500 wheel? I've never ever been able to manage it and it's really ruining my interest in any rFactor based.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Moxie Omen posted:

Does anyone here know the magical formula to get actual linear steering in rFactor/isiMotor games with a T500 wheel? I've never ever been able to manage it and it's really ruining my interest in any rFactor based.

What's the issue, out of curiosity? Can't you just set steering rate and speed sensitivity and all that crap in rFactor?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is a good recommendation for a wheel I can use on a PS3 (maybe a 4?) and PC? I saw the G25 on Amazon for $200, and I was hoping for something a tad less, like 100-150

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is a good recommendation for a wheel I can use on a PS3 (maybe a 4?) and PC? I saw the G25 on Amazon for $200, and I was hoping for something a tad less, like 100-150

If you can stretch your budget for the G25, I'd say do it. Alternatively, wait a couple more weeks to see if it will go on sale for Black Friday shenanigans. The couple of extra bucks spent is worth it, and if you are like me you would not be happy with a lesser wheel than that.

This is assuming that it is compatible. One reason I got a Fanatec is so I could use it on XBox360, as Logitech wheels were not compatible.

E: if the G27 is in your price range during Black Friday sales, seriously consider it. The more you use a wheel, the more you will want a wheel that is even more awesome.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 7, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're getting a wheel you should go for the best you can afford at the time. Anything less and you'll spend all the time you're using it wishing you had the next best thing.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Is there anyway to still get access to pCars, or am i stuck waiting for a full release?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pvax posted:

Is there anyway to still get access to pCars, or am i stuck waiting for a full release?

I don't know if it's still going but pledging for the console versions will give you access to the PC version.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have the G27 but everyone seems to say that the Driving Force GT is fine for a start if you want to save a little money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS added the regular non-GT McLaren MP4-12C. Yay. I hope the GT-R is next, it was listed as GT and non-GT versions in the project roster.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Logitech G27 is on sale on Amazon right now for $225, down from $320.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Assetto Corsa early access is out:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

poo poo, Assetto Corsa features the classic Monza circuit with this crazy banked turn:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Dear god yes.

I lost many hours just to a silly Lotus/Track for the alpha. All over this.

EDIT: PROPER HAND OVER HAND MOTIONS. SO IN.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 8, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That hillclimb track isn't included in the early access, right?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

poo poo, Assetto Corsa features the classic Monza circuit with this crazy banked turn:

Turns. This track has been in rFactor 2 for a while now and it absolutely owns with historic F1s and F2s.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How does Asseto Corsa play on controllers? For those of us who can't use racing wheels anymore, which feels like having a disability. :(

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

How does Asseto Corsa play on controllers? For those of us who can't use racing wheels anymore, which feels like having a disability. :(

Well, I'll let you know how it plays with a wheel in an hour or so.

:smug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fayez Butts posted:

Every racing game needs old versions of tracks like this. Seriously, road courses from the 1930's through 1970's were sheer insanity but the few that I've actually raced in a game were a whole lot more fun than most modern tracks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An Enormous Boner posted:

Well, I'll let you know how it plays with a wheel in an hour or so.

:smug:

You wound me. :(

I am interested either way in hearing how it plays on a wheel too.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

Every racing game needs old versions of tracks like this. Seriously, road courses from the 1930's through 1970's were sheer insanity but the few that I've actually raced in a game were a whole lot more fun than most modern tracks.

Driving rF2's historic Monaco in the old F1s is great. It's way above my skill level to do properly -- you have to just divebomb through all these breakneck turns with super dangerous curbing all over the place. The chicane on the back straight thing is just nuts at speed.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Curious to hear opinions on AC, seeing as many people thought it was going to be The Second Coming: Sim Racing.

Might head over to virtualr and :munch:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

I said come in! posted:

There was a xbox360 tab in the control menus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Weird game, not sure what to think of its physics. Presentation-wise, what's been released in the past were definitely bullshots.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Has anybody been playing RaceRoom since it came out this spring? Quick trip report?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird game, not sure what to think of its physics. Presentation-wise, what's been released in the past were definitely bullshots.

Figures with the screenshots. That seems to be a thing with racing sims.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seems to always be that way with project cars. Maybe my system is just not set up the same way, but the screenshots they release always look so much more real than what my game looks like. I bought the game because the demo was fun and this game looks like it could be fun if they get some better tracks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With Project Cars website, they are uploading fan made screenshots and a lot of them are touched up. This isn ever mentioned of course. I agree with you though, I play the game at near max settings and it looks nothing like the screenshots. The game is still good looking though but something about it seems really off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird game, not sure what to think of its physics.

The physics are pretty alright. The FFB feels more alive somehow. I find it odd how the physics kind of turn off when the car stops.

Fun to mess around with.

• Locked thread