Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

teraflame posted:

Is there anything similar to Send to Kindle for android phones?

You'll get the option to send it to every device you have the Kindle app installed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I just got my Paperwhite. When converting epubs in Calibre should I convert to mobi or azw3? Or does it not matter?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you plan to use the "Send to Kindle" app, use .mobi. I don't think it allows you to deliver .azw3 through that app. If you just drag and drop files onto your kindle via USB then it probably doesn't matter which you use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shyfted One posted:

I just got my Paperwhite. When converting epubs in Calibre should I convert to mobi or azw3? Or does it not matter?

Converting to azw3 will retain more advanced layout features and allows for higher quality images - azw3 is kf8 (Kindle Format 8) which is very very similar to recent EPUB format in a different wrapper. The catch is Amazon won't let you email or otherwise send it wirelessly to your device, it must be plugged in by USB to transfer.

Additionally, sometimes conversion to mobi of large or complicated layout books from epub will result in files that won't open on the Kindle itself, so you always want to use azw3 for those.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just go with awz3 then. I really don't see myself needing to have my entire library in cloud storage and it's pretty simple to just drag and drop.

Also, is there a thread in here or SAmart that keeps up to date with ebook deals?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
If you convert to "mobi" through Kindlegen¹, it'll actually generate a file which contains:
  • The old mobi7 format
  • The new KF8 format
  • The original epub :downs:
It'll be huge, obviously, but when you Send-To-Kindle-it, Amazon will decide which format is best for your device (which should be KF8 and it'll give it a prc or azw or azw3 extension)

If you want to preserve "advanced" features, such as special CSS selector like :first-line and features such as dropcaps and embedded fonts, then KF8 is the place to be

If you want to "manually" transfer to your Kindle, you can do that with the Kindlegen-generated "mobi" and it'll display the advanced stuff (KF8) but I suggest you "shrink"² it first and make it a "pure" KF8 (with azw3 extension) to save on space.

¹ http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765211
² stripping away the mobi7 and the epub inside http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166536 it's a python script but you can compile an executable with py2exe

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Using the usb cable gets a little tedious after a while. It's so much nicer to have a book sent over whipser net, hop into bed with my kindle on my night stand.

Especially if you start using calibre to automatically snatch and send magazines and newspapers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My Kindle (keyboard version) has started to develop a habit of loading the page with half or more of the screen black. I assume this means the screen is on it's way out.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Mine started to do that. Also some other things cropped up, like if options in settings were toggled on they were actually off and vice versa.

I did a factory reset and the black screen hasn't happened again, or at least not yet.

edit: stupid error

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 3, 2013

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm wondering: any publishers that are noted for making good ebook releases? Sometimes there are two or more different releases for a Kindle eBook at Amazon, which one should I usually get?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Shyfted One posted:

What the others above me have said is all relevant and true. Anecdote from my end: I always convert to .mobi files (200+ books) and have never had a problem. Take that as you will.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah just to be clear, I only have the problems that require AZW3 from very large input documents or documents with a lot of graphics and fancy formatting. Normal books and articles won't need it.

Edit: Also doublecheck that the output profile is Kindle Paperwhite instead of just Kindle, this makes it so it won't unneccesarily shrink images to fit the original Kindle resolution.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is a Kindle Keyboard with a busted screen worth fixing? Way out of warranty I assume.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

Is a Kindle Keyboard with a busted screen worth fixing? Way out of warranty I assume.

Depends on how cheap you can get at a replacement panel, basically. You might be better off trying to trade with someone else who wants a Kindle Keyboard to work on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Call Amazon and see what they will charge you for a replacement. Worth asking.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Just got an email from Amazon. Kindle DX 3G is on sale for $189 now. Down from $239.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What ereaders, preferably ones with frontlit screens, are best for a mainly-epub library that uses the series tag a lot? I've heard that the Kobo lineup doesn't do well with book series - is this still true? I really like their hardware, but to be honest a big part of that is the excellent screen lighting. How is the new Paperwhite in comparison?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What ereaders, preferably ones with frontlit screens, are best for a mainly-epub library that uses the series tag a lot? I've heard that the Kobo lineup doesn't do well with book series - is this still true? I really like their hardware, but to be honest a big part of that is the excellent screen lighting. How is the new Paperwhite in comparison?

The Paperwhite sucks with series collections. When I say suck, it doesn't do them at all. That's one thing that I miss from my previous Kindle Keyboard.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Odette posted:

The Paperwhite sucks with series collections. When I say suck, it doesn't do them at all. That's one thing that I miss from my previous Kindle Keyboard.

Oh, really? Damnit. Do you know of any frontlit ereaders that do well with series?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really don't understand why Kindles are still so utterly woeful when it comes to book management. How hard would it be for them to make a functional, friendly way of accessing books on the device.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For Kobo, it really depends on the firmware. A few revisions back, it used to be able to sort by series in the library and suddenly they took out that feature. It still shows the series information under the book, you just can't sort by it now... I think there's a way for Calibre to automatically make shelves based on series info but I haven't played around with that yet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can you not just put books into Collections manually for each series, or do you guys mean have this done automatically?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you not just put books into Collections manually for each series, or do you guys mean have this done automatically?

Automatic is a must for me - I have 700+ books in 100+ series, and that'd be hell to manually sort. It's already tagged in Calibre, though, so I want something that works with that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

You can do it manually, but for those of us that have large libraries ... it makes it a lot easier if there is a way to automate it. I've got almost 500 books and a large majority of them are series.

I don't know why Amazon et al have no interest in improving their products. (edit: I do know. Book sorting isn't high up on their priorities so there's that.)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Odette posted:

You can do it manually, but for those of us that have large libraries ... it makes it a lot easier if there is a way to automate it. I've got almost 500 books and a large majority of them are series.

I don't know why Amazon et al have no interest in improving their products. (edit: I do know. Book sorting isn't high up on their priorities so there's that.)

I'd say that's a bit unfair - Amazon have been pretty good with Kindle software updates (aside from gen 1 Fires). But yeah, some of the stuff they add seems a bit esoteric next to stuff like improving collection management.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

:tinfoil: theory time - Amazon didn't release the Kindle as a product in itself, they released it as a platform to sell ebooks (and audiobooks, which is why they have so much storage). This enables people to pirate books instead of buying them, and the amount of space on there encourages people to download and stockpile huge collections of books, more than they'd ever have time to even read.

This is obviously bad for Amazon's business model, since it distracts people from even casually browsing for reading material, so they discourage people from having large collections on their devices by making it completely unwieldy to do so

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't keep lots of books on my Kindle since I only read one or two books at a time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

:tinfoil: theory time - Amazon didn't release the Kindle as a product in itself, they released it as a platform to sell ebooks (and audiobooks, which is why they have so much storage). This enables people to pirate books instead of buying them, and the amount of space on there encourages people to download and stockpile huge collections of books, more than they'd ever have time to even read.

This is obviously bad for Amazon's business model, since it distracts people from even casually browsing for reading material, so they discourage people from having large collections on their devices by making it completely unwieldy to do so

Nah, they're just kinda garbage when it comes to the software side of things.

Every section of their digital side has weird issues. Prime videos are a mess when comes to search on the site. Amazon MP3 just got the option to add to the cloud instead of using their archaic downloader. Cloud Player is beyond basic and limited to 500 songs when it comes to user created playlists. Amazon Games & Software requires you to download a small .exe before you can download the real .exe from their server.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012
Most irritating is inability to sort books by filename. Simple to implement, I'm sure.
And of course Kindle DX Graphite didn't get any unicode love. Unless you go dark 3rd party firmware path.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Started reading a book series on my Kindle Touch and you guys are right...

...collections just don't cut it

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Okay, I've got an ebook pricing mystery I'm trying to solve and this seems like the best place for it.

I downloaded the amazon app on my iPhone so I can be one of those awful people that go into Chapters, browse the books, then scan the upc and buy the ebook instead (:v:).

I was quite surprised when I went into my wishlist on the app and noticed how cheap all the ebooks were all of a sudden (with the noted caveat that amazon won't actually let you BUY any ebooks through the app, thanks Apple). I had assumed that since the whole lawsuit against Apple had gone through, the pricing had suddenly dropped.

But when I go to Amazon.com or .ca, the pricing remains the same as it ever was.

Here's a book in the app:

Amazon.com:

Amazon.ca

Am I just being dense here? I'd love to get the app pricing on ebooks. The above example may not seem like much but there are other books in my wishlist where the app says they're 8 bucks as opposed to 24 bucks (!?) on the site.

Do they just price stuff in the app cheaper so I'll buy physical books over the competitor like in my previous example where I'm showroom shopping?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This page shows it for $8.89 on Amazon.com in Safari on my iphone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008VK1HP8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

smackfu posted:

This page shows it for $8.89 on Amazon.com in Safari on my iphone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008VK1HP8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Interesting...following that link in Firefox on my PC shows it as 12.99.

12.53 in Safari on my iPhone.

Must be a regional pricing thing? I am in Canada, but the app must be pulling the price for some other region. Bizarre.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Snuffman posted:

Okay, I've got an ebook pricing mystery I'm trying to solve and this seems like the best place for it.

I downloaded the amazon app on my iPhone so I can be one of those awful people that go into Chapters, browse the books, then scan the upc and buy the ebook instead (:v:).

I was quite surprised when I went into my wishlist on the app and noticed how cheap all the ebooks were all of a sudden (with the noted caveat that amazon won't actually let you BUY any ebooks through the app, thanks Apple). I had assumed that since the whole lawsuit against Apple had gone through, the pricing had suddenly dropped.

But when I go to Amazon.com or .ca, the pricing remains the same as it ever was.

Here's a book in the app:

Amazon.com:

Amazon.ca

Am I just being dense here? I'd love to get the app pricing on ebooks. The above example may not seem like much but there are other books in my wishlist where the app says they're 8 bucks as opposed to 24 bucks (!?) on the site.

Do they just price stuff in the app cheaper so I'll buy physical books over the competitor like in my previous example where I'm showroom shopping?

Are you logging in when you go to the main site? I've heard that Amazon like to mark down stuff you've had on your wish list for a while.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Less than a week for Amazon to enable Bookmatch, if I'm not mistaken? Are they going to pull off the old Indiana Jones last second hat-grab ?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.8.1:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.3.8.1.bin

Amazon posted:

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

Search terms highlighted in search results

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.
Select other dictionaries when looking up a word

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.
View other definitions of a word

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dictionary updates? Who the gently caress uses dictionaries?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anyone who comes across a word they don't know? E.g, me, and not too rarely either.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, the dictionary functionality is one of my favourite things about the Kindle. Pronunciation in the popup is what I miss but you can't have everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm just really miffed that I still can't create collections in Calibre. :(

EDIT: I am a retard and have figured out how to do this on my Paperwhite.

Odette fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 28, 2013