Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Can I be the one to say, as much as loved Odo in most episodes, watching him gently caress the the female changeling over and over while screwing over people he otherwise cared about sort of went against his character and ruined him for me.

It was a case of what where the writers thinking?

SPOILING because we still have people watching through BEST TREK: The Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

This reminds me of old macs, which could have the power button stop responding during a lockup.

Old macs, hell, I just replaced the Dell in my office a week ago and it would do that. It'd bluescreen, and if I dare hit the power button it'd stay bluescreened, one of the fans would come on and speed up and speed up and speed up and speed up until I panicked and yanked the cord out of the power supply. I'm not sure I ever heard that fan in nrmal operation, either.

e: Watching 3rd season of TNG; The Survivors. Good tea. Nice house.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 26, 2013

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Star Trek fans never react as you'd expect

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Carnaticum posted:

warp core not responding

The Logitech warp core containment driver is no longer compatible with your version of Windows. Would you like to check the subspace network for updates?

[yes] [no]

> YES

Checking Windows store...

No updates found.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
"It looks like you're trying to negotiate a treaty!"

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Hi, I'm Clippy, your tactical assistant! I noticed you're trying to engage in combat with a Jem'hadar cruiser. What would you like to do?
  • Fire phasers at their warp nacelles
  • Fire phasers at their deflector array
  • Launch a full spread of quantum torpedoes
  • Modulate the inverse shield harmonics
  • Initiate evasive manouevre Delta

Clippy and the Enterprise AI are on the same AI spectrum, but on opposite ends.

Clippy ---> Regular A.I. that can pass the Turing Test ---> Enterprise AI

• Clippy: annoying as hell, doesn't know what the gently caress, gives you 5 limited options based on some dumbfuck algorithm that doesn't work.
  • Regular AI: basically can pass for a human
  • Enterprise AI: reads your thoughts, magically gives you what you want even when you gently caress up the order*

* Example:

Picard: Computer! Maximum zoom!
Enterprise A.I.: :rolleyes: *knowing full well that "maximum zoom" would just be a single molecule on the enemy hull, gives instead 6.6% zoom.*

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
The best thing about the Root Beer video by a considerable margin is Garak subtly reminding Quark that his homeworld has just been wrecked and Quark just straight up not even noticing in the face of lost potential earnings. So loving great. It's the little things that stand DS9 apart.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
This creepy alien with a grudge against Quark in "Melora" has a weird thing over his mouth. What would be the evolutionary cause for something like that. Did his ancestors eat too much so they evolved a thing over their mouth to make it harder to eat? Is that even how evolution works? Who knows. It's Star Trek, gently caress it. This episode is kind of bad so I'm trying to distract myself.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

apophenium posted:

This creepy alien with a grudge against Quark in "Melora" has a weird thing over his mouth. What would be the evolutionary cause for something like that. Did his ancestors eat too much so they evolved a thing over their mouth to make it harder to eat? Is that even how evolution works? Who knows. It's Star Trek, gently caress it. This episode is kind of bad so I'm trying to distract myself.

Don't watch "Melora".

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Evan Carlos Somers posted:

'Zero-gravity sex with Bashir' was a prime element to the story in my mind.

Ugh, gently caress, what a bad episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Zero sex with Bashir" would have been a much-needed improvement.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

apophenium posted:

What would be the evolutionary cause for something like that. Did his ancestors eat too much so they evolved a thing over their mouth to make it harder to eat? Is that even how evolution works? Who knows. It's Star Trek, gently caress it.

Maybe there's some sort of horrible predator on their planet who kills you by jumping right into your mouth and eating you from the inside out. Mouth flap keeps 'em out!

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Carnaticum posted:

Oh got tech support for the Enterprise would be a nightmare.

"The computer has created a new life form and transported it to the shuttle bay?... Have you tried restarting it?"

"Oh you did? Well lets do it again anyways." ... "That worked? Great. I'll close the ticket now. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

After TNG ended and Voyager started up and Berman couldn't micromanage both DS9 and VOY so he focused on Voyager with Michael Piller and let Ron Moore more or less run DS9.

Eh, the credit goes more to Ira Steven Behr. Moore only became a co-executive producer in season 6, as I recall.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

apophenium posted:

Imagine how hard it must be for him to yawn!

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

apophenium posted:

I believe the aliens in that TNG episode where the Enterprise has to tow away the radioactive barge had the same thing. Not the design department's best effort.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
The thing that set DS9 apart for me besides the great characters and acting was O'brien. Just knowing that at some point O'brien will be getting severely hosed over in some capacity in every season made it all the better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Carnaticum posted:

Can I be the one to say, as much as loved Odo in most episodes, watching him gently caress the the female changeling over and over while screwing over people he otherwise cared about sort of went against his character and ruined him for me.

It was a case of what where the writers thinking?

SPOILING because we still have people watching through BEST TREK: The Series

It did sort of make sense when you remember he is hanging out his own people and a major point of his arc was him deciding what side he was on, The Federation or Founders.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

bobkatt013 posted:

It did sort of make sense when you remember he is hanging out his own people and a major point of his arc was him deciding what side he was on, The Federation or Founders.

Forget sort of, it made perfect sense. It also illustrated the dangers of the Great Link itself and thus why Odo was so different from the other founders.

It's kind of childish to go WHAT WERE THE WRITER'S THINKING just because you like a character and he does a thing you don't like.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sanguinia posted:

Forget sort of, it made perfect sense. It also illustrated the dangers of the Great Link itself and thus why Odo was so different from the other founders.

It's kind of childish to go WHAT WERE THE WRITER'S THINKING just because you like a character and he does a thing you don't like.

He also was becoming addicted to it and ignoring everyone else for the high of being with another founder. Once he realized how badly he hosed up he did everything in his power to make up for his previous mistake.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 26, 2013

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

bobkatt013 posted:

He was was becoming addicted to it and ignoring everyone else for the high of being with another founder. Once he realized how badly he hosed up he did everything in his power to make up for his previous mistake.

Also, the weird period after they :nms:actually gently caress in their solid forms was supremely uncomfortable and totally necessary to the story.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bicyclops posted:

I have some problems with Ferengi because early on they are uncomfortably reminiscent of some racist Jewish caricatures. I really don't think it's intentional. It probably slipped in unconsciously from the early pulp sci-fi that the writers were obviously so in love with, plus once they get to Quark, they try to turn it around into a joke about unbridled capitalism.
"Try to"? Their name comes from the Arab word for white people. They've always been supposed to be an exaggerated version of the West.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 26, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just finished "The Uniform"

I kept waiting for the part where Sisko announced that he had actually tricked Eddington and that he hadn't poisoned an entire planet. It never came. :smith:

edit: I just see Ferengi as modern day libertarians.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Skeesix posted:

Also, the weird period after they :nms:actually gently caress in their solid forms was supremely uncomfortable and totally necessary to the story.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. It was supremely uncomfortable by design and it was indeed totally necessary to the story. It was the first step of Odo realizing how much he'd screwed up and a critical catalyst for him to examine the mistakes he'd made that led him to that point.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I just see Ferengi as modern day libertarians.

There's a pretty strong central authority at work there for a Libertarian state.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Just finished "The Uniform"

I kept waiting for the part where Sisko announced that he had actually tricked Eddington and that he hadn't poisoned an entire planet. It never came. :smith:

edit: I just see Ferengi as modern day libertarians.

They're not libertarians though. They follow a very strict code of business conduct (at least among Ferengi) and everyone's scared as hell of their regulatory agency.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If anyone should be compared to libertarians, it would be the Maquis.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

If anyone should be compared to libertarians, it would be the Maquis.

I'd say that they're space Native Americans, but TNG decided that space Native Americans should be an actual thing. I don't think you can just choose a planet and declare it "spiritual" guys. Why was this a thing?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

They're not libertarians though. They follow a very strict code of business conduct (at least among Ferengi) and everyone's scared as hell of their regulatory agency.

I figure the regulatory agency started as one of many "certifying agencies" or something like that, and over the years had bought out or merged with others until it was the only game in town. Combine that with collusion among big business interests, and it's not at all hard to see how what might have started as a small "private" company now acts as an enforcer for the Ferengi elite's interests.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

quote:

The next time you watch TOS—especially if it’s a really serious episode—just remember that somewhere in the Enterprise, at all times, there is an enormous balloon decoy of the ship. JUST IN CASE.

And the balloon works in outer space because IT’S THE FUTURE, WE FIGURED IT OUT, DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT.

Just think about how big that balloon Enterprise is. Do you think it has to be blown up for cleaning and maintenance, like, every few years? I hope they do it planetside and make a bouncy castle out of it. I hope all those little balloon windows are real and everyone has balloon quarters that they decorate with balloon furniture.

(Star Trek AU: Everything is a Balloon)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The balloon Enterprise features prominently in John M. Ford's "How Much For Just The Planet?" which everyone should read because it's a legitimately great Star Trek novel for more reasons than just that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Why wouldn't balloons work in space? :confused:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I figure the regulatory agency started as one of many "certifying agencies" or something like that, and over the years had bought out or merged with others until it was the only game in town. Combine that with collusion among big business interests, and it's not at all hard to see how what might have started as a small "private" company now acts as an enforcer for the Ferengi elite's interests.

It's explicitly stated as part of the Ferengi government and enforcer of Ferengi trade law. Its agents are all-powerful. There's a historical equivalent in China but I don't remember what they're called.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why wouldn't balloons work in space? :confused:

There's no reason why they wouldn't! The material simply has to be strong enough to contain the internal force of the expanding gas without any external atmospheric compression to aid it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

A space suit is literally a person-shaped balloon with an outer casing to keep it person-shaped.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hailthefish posted:

A space suit is literally a person-shaped balloon with an outer casing to keep it person-shaped.

I was going to mention that but it sounded too patronizing in my own mind.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

a travelling HEGEL posted:

"Try to"? Their name comes from the Arab word for white people. They've always been supposed to be an exaggerated version of the West.

Persian word for white people, unless I'm mistaken. It's cognate with the English "foreigner."

EDIT no it's actually cognate with the word "French," my mistake.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 27, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

bobkatt013 posted:

He also was becoming addicted to it and ignoring everyone else for the high of being with another founder. Once he realized how badly he hosed up he did everything in his power to make up for his previous mistake.

Yeah, it also helps sell the Changling backstory. To the Founders, nothing but the Great Link matters; the Dominion only exists as a kind of min/maxing system to keep solids from cutting into their goo time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Persian word for white people, unless I'm mistaken. It's cognate with the English "foreigner."

EDIT no it's actually cognate with the word "French," my mistake.

The First Crusade was mostly made of French nobles so the term for Franks became applied to whitey in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

The balloon Enterprise features prominently in John M. Ford's "How Much For Just The Planet?" which everyone should read because it's a legitimately great Star Trek novel for more reasons than just that.

I remember reading that for the first time when I was a kid and didn't understand comedy. The entire novel seemed so strange because I was waiting for fisticuffs that never came. I do remember enjoying the ending though, where pretty much every bridge offer on the Enterprise and several Klingon soldiers get into a massive pie throwing fight. Then Spock shows up, Kirk asks for a pie, and gets hit by a dozen. I bet if I dug it out and read through it today I'd appreciate it a lot more.

• Locked thread