Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I can never play smash with items off. The chaos and luck is part of the charm. I tried to fool myself at one point and say that it helped give my friends a chance (I owned the game so obviously I played it the most) but in reality I ended up getting skilled at keeping them away from items and grabbing them myself, so I just ended up winning even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It's not as if an unskilled player can beat a more skilled player with items anyway. It all just reeks of someone who played against their younger brother and lost because they weren't half as good as they thought they were.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It's been a while since I played Smash Bros., but I remember it not really requiring skill to be good at it. From what I remember, it was mostly a rock-paper-scissors thing where each character had strengths and weaknesses and that character selection had more to do with it than actually being good. Then again, my experience with Smash Bros. is from playing in the school lounge where I was easily one of if not the gooniest student.
Regardless, anyone who takes Smash Bros. seriously is a terrible person.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MizPiz posted:

It's been a while since I played Smash Bros., but I remember it not really requiring skill to be good at it. From what I remember, it was mostly a rock-paper-scissors thing where each character had strengths and weaknesses and that character selection had more to do with it than actually being good. Then again, my experience with Smash Bros. is from playing in the school lounge where I was easily one of if not the gooniest student.

My friends have a rule of "don't take loving diddy kong" because his super move will usually knock at least three lives off all of his opponents.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 26, 2013

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

MizPiz posted:

If you make a joke even lightly suggesting this in the Smash Bros thread, especially in reference to items, you will get bitched out for like three solid pages. It's amazing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MizPiz posted:

Not really. While there is definitely knowing what moves work against what opponents a lot of it is dodging your opponent, which requires skill and knowledge. It is essentially like any other fighting game except without the intricate button combinations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Playing with or without items is a good metric for determining if someone is a worthwhile person. Ditto taking the game seriously. How seriously people take that game loving astounds me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SpookyLizard posted:

Playing with or without items is a good metric for determining if someone is a worthwhile person. Ditto taking the game seriously. How seriously people take that game loving astounds me.

Nintendo doesn't like those people either.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
There's something pretty special about comp Smash players. Competitive video game players can get pretty spergy and awful (the fighting game community in particular has a bad reputation for being abusive), but Smash players far and away are the worst.

There's also that competitive Pokemon player who got kicked out of a hotel for literally throwing he own poop.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Can we not have the Smash derail? I'm so sick of watching people try to skirt the line between loving the game and not taking it too seriously so they don't get lumped in with the obsessed fucktards. I feel griefed by the thread. The golden age of Melee is gone, everyone just let it go.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
When brawl first came out, I went over to a good friends to play it (me being a person who does not own any nintendo products made past 1998.) He had two friends from his marching band days over, one of which was under the skinny neckbeard category. Being forced to use a wii controller, I resorted to the tried and true tactics of letting everyone else kill each other and running away. After a couple games of this, neckbeard was becoming incredibly angry that I wasn't diving into the middle of every map to get whomped on. I won a few times through survivalist tactics, and he was enraged to the point where he left after a few games. Don't remember if he bitched about items or not.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Smash Bros. can be a lot of fun with no items and competitive rules. There's some legitimate good times to be had there, it's unfortunate that there's a large segment of that population that will go to public play rooms or parties and snarl at anyone who so much as mentions turning on Items. That's the same guy who enters Pokemon competitions full of little kids that wanna battle with their Butterfree or whathaveyous, and brings his or her max level super optimal maxed EV uber team.

Just don't be That Guy and you're probably cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Segmentation Fault posted:

There's something pretty special about comp Smash players. Competitive video game players can get pretty spergy and awful (the fighting game community in particular has a bad reputation for being abusive), but Smash players far and away are the worst.

There's also that competitive Pokemon player who got kicked out of a hotel for literally throwing he own poop.

This isn't really griefing, but one of the best smash players, Mew2King, is a real piece of work. He once stayed at a random person's house during a tournament, where he proceeded to leave cum stains on the cot he was sleeping on. Later at some point he traveled to Japan with only $200, planning to make money in money matches(illegal in japan). He proceeded to vomit all over his host's $200 futon the first night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I feel like less of a human being after reading that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Renegret posted:

I feel like less of a human being after reading that.

To err is human, to cover your host's cot in jizz and vomit, divine.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
That SS13 courtroom scene is something else. I'm surprised it stayed that controlled though.

sex excellence fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 26, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Can we not have the Smash derail? I'm so sick of watching people try to skirt the line between loving the game and not taking it too seriously so they don't get lumped in with the obsessed fucktards. I feel griefed by the thread. The golden age of Melee is gone, everyone just let it go.

Would you rather go back to griefing people with playing cards? At least this is video games.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Griefing people that can reach out and punch you is the most dangerous game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Indeed.

Samej posted:

Most annoyances aside, the overall worse experience I've ever had in tabletop would have to be during last years LGS 40k tournament. I was playing my 1000 point Necron army and my brother had his Chaos Space Marines.

Anyway, the drama occurred during an argument between the owner and one of the other players, a guy who had a very well painted Tau army. The guy had apparently lost versus a Dark Eldar player yet was begging the owner to let him stay in the tourney. People were asking him to calm down and the owner was being adamant about him losing; the guy he lost against took some verbal swings at him that he probably shouldn't have.

I was in the back of the store talking to another grognard when we both heard this loud popping noise from the front of the store. Turns out the guy drew a revolver and unloaded the whole thing at the owner. He promptly got tackled by these two hulking neckbeards.

Turns out the only bullet that hit got the owner of the place in the hand, almost taking out his pinky. The police got there pretty quickly, and the guys Tau army somehow disappeared in the process.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

No lie, if I were in the same situation I'd steal the gunmans expensive plastic army mans too.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That is pretty apt for a game where the supposed ultimate super soldiers can fail to hit an enemy 6 foot in front of them then die to being punched.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Holy poo poo, I always assumed people online were full of poo poo but I guess they would shoot you IRL if they could. :stare:

^^lol^^

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I love how it highlights the fact that his '<$60 worth of plastic' army mans disappeared rather than the fact that he, you know, pulled out a goddamn gun with the intent to kill.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

umalt posted:

I love how it highlights the fact that his '<$60 worth of plastic' army mans disappeared rather than the fact that he, you know, pulled out a goddamn gun with the intent to kill.

Hahahaha, if only it was $60. If only. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

umalt posted:

'<$60 worth of plastic' army mans

You don't know Gamesworkshop Prices very well I see. :v:

Just one of those hover tanks in the back costs $50

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

umalt posted:

I actually think it was just intent to maim, making it even dumber, there's no way in hell he was trying to kill him if all he hit was the owners hand.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did he shout 'Blood for the Blood God'?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You don't know Gamesworkshop Prices very well I see. :v:

SovietSteel posted:

Hahahaha, if only it was $60. If only. :smith:

Oh I know how overpriced GW makes their army dudes, I'm just saying that if you melted down the plastic they're made of you wouldn't even get $60.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was obviously firing inside melee range, that's a huge penalty.

And the disappearing army bit nudges it from 'attempted murder' into 'attempted murder plus grief'.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He did what most modern gamers will claim to do when they lose/get mad at you: kill you in real life for losing at a game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Holy poo poo, I always assumed people online were full of poo poo but I guess they would shoot you IRL if they could. :stare:

I think I remember an episode of NCIS or something where two navy guys playing Everquest or something and ended up having a sword fight and one of them died.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Episode ended when he respawned?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
So, a few years back I worked on a game called "World in Conflict". It was a fun RTS where you didn't have to bother collecting resources or anything like that - you just had a pool of points to buy units. When those units died, the points slowly trickled back into your pool. Every Friday, we'd package up the latest build, put it on the network and we'd play studio-wide multiplayer matches. Also, because it was Sweden we'd drink beer. That's not really relevant to the story but it adds some authenticity.

Anyway, we start playing and I notice that a ton of people are picking infantry. During that part of the dev cycle, infantry was pretty weak, so hardly anyone would pick it. What I didn't know, is that the programmers had just checked in a new feature - infantry units were now able to hide in buildings. Four or five infantrymen could pack into a building and be essentially invulnerable - the only way to kill them is to level the building, which takes a ton of firepower, and the infantrymen's bazookas could easily cut down any approaching tanks. Even if you called in an artillery strike, they'd just run to a new building while the shots were in the air.

Well, no big deal, right? They hadn't using any debug commands to cheat or anything, right? So, next round I go with infantry to try it out only to discover that the "hiding in buildings" feature was so hot-off-the-presses that it didn't have a UI element to click on - the only way to use this new ultimate infantry strategy was to use an undocumented hotkey.

The best part is that, the following week, a tuning pass was made on the hidden infantry so they weren't nearly as deadly while hidden in buildings... so everyone who tried to use last week's exploit got whooped on.

It definitely paid to have friends in a few different departments.

TheSpiritFox posted:

BlueDestiny posted:

It's the same reason why people don't just mute voice chat if they're getting harassed or join a different server or something.

The kind of people who get angry at this are incredibly stupid.
(e.g. Post content or :frogout:)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I remember an episode of NCIS or something where two navy guys playing Everquest or something and ended up having a sword fight and one of them died.

I've watched all seasons up to 7 and I don't remember it. It was either that or Law & Order Criminal Intent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I've watched all seasons up to 7 and I don't remember it. It was either that or Law & Order Criminal Intent.

Found it - Season 1, Episode 4: http://ncis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Immortals_(episode)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tardcore posted:

I actually think it was just intent to maim, making it even dumber, there's no way in hell he was trying to kill him if all he hit was the owners hand.
I'm pretty sure you are massively overestimating the typical accuracy of a handgun shooter.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lunethex posted:

Season 1: Episode 4. "The discovery of a drowned sailor in dress whites, with an officer's ceremonial sword and weights chained to his waist, sparks a suicide investigation and eventually sends the team to the USS Foster so that they can dig into the deceased officer's life and find out what his colleagues thought of him. Kate refuses to believe that the deceased sailor committed suicide as, like her, he came from a Catholic family where suicide is a mortal sin. Meanwhile Abby discovers a link between the crew of the USS Foster and an MMORPG known as 'The Immortals', and begins searching the game for clues and evidence in order to assist Gibbs in solving the case."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It is one of the funniest episodes ever. I'm not sure if it's the same but there's another where McGee is falling hard for a girl who has her name on the leaderboards of all the games he plays, oh my gosh you have the top score?! :allears:

I have a "griefing" story of a new game called Marvel Puzzle Quest for the phone. It isn't a direct grief because you can't actively PVP live people, but someone has 3 chances to PVP an AI controlled version of your team.

My team is Storm, Bullseye (a hawk eye knockoff) and Hawkeye. They're all uncommon characters that I've fully leveled, and they work like this:

If anybody matches Purple tiles, Bullseye creates a special shield tile that blocks a decent amount of damage from hitting my characters

If there's more than X number of purple tiles on the board, Hawkeye will outright dodge all attacks if somebody else is still left on your team to tank them

If an enemy managed to deal more than X% damage of any of my hero's health to them, she hits all enemies for a huge chunk of health immediately

Alongside that the characters have powerful attacks that cause damage to all enemies. The common thing I've seen is people blasting a bunch of heavy attacks from heroes that all need the same color AP (matching tiles means you actually collect that number of tiles and spend them on skills), so my team is a complete loving jerk. Match purple? Oops sorry that's a shield for me. Don't match purple? I have enough on the bored, I dodge. Hit me? Oops that was too hard all your heroes lose 1/5th their health. Oh and my red arrow attack hits your whole party for 120 damage and Bullseye just created a critical tile that dealt 930 damage to your strongest guy and he's dead now.

The reason it works so well is that the AI is often dumb, but all my key abilities are automatic. So the AI only has a few abilities to choose from and they pick them as soon as they're available, and since there's no overlap between colored abilities that means the AI can use all the super strong moves whenever it can.

It makes people maaaad :unsmigghh:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's another episode. Said video game is also used by an arms dealer to distribute shopping lists or some dumb bullshit to clients. Or hacking software or something like that. NCIS is fantastically, fanatically dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Alongside that the characters have powerful attacks that cause damage to all enemies. The common thing I've seen is people blasting a bunch of heavy attacks from heroes that all need the same color AP (matching tiles means you actually collect that number of tiles and spend them on skills), so my team is a complete loving jerk. Match purple? Oops sorry that's a shield for me. Don't match purple? I have enough on the bored, I dodge. Hit me? Oops that was too hard all your heroes lose 1/5th their health. Oh and my red arrow attack hits your whole party for 120 damage and Bullseye just created a critical tile that dealt 930 damage to your strongest guy and he's dead now.
It makes people maaaad :unsmigghh:

Ooops my Storm hit your Storm and it's a feedback loop in which everyone loses. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread