Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

King Doom posted:

More than one person has spotted weird double drops like that. Seems like if there's more than one thing on a loot table it'll glitch and drop two instead of one. For me it was the grabber vines in the pre hardmode jungle and the ancient cobalt armor. Got the boots and hat from the same vine like four times or so.

Yeah, the drops are definitely bugged. I've gotten numerous Fast Clock / Megaphone dual drops from Pixies, a couple dual Ancient Shadow Armor pieces from Eaters, etc etc. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Pixie drop one without the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

King Doom posted:

More than one person has spotted weird double drops like that. Seems like if there's more than one thing on a loot table it'll glitch and drop two instead of one. For me it was the grabber vines in the pre hardmode jungle and the ancient cobalt armor. Got the boots and hat from the same vine like four times or so.

Yea there is definitely something like that happening. Megaphone drops with blindfold more often than not, multiple pieces of cobalt armor drop at the same time, etc.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a quirk with the game's RNG. Items with the same drop chance just seem to have a good shot of coming out together.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Haha, wow. I hadn't played Terraria since 1.1 and didn't know anything about the Halloween update. So I finally get around to booting it up after hearing other goons talk about how great it is in the Starbound thread, and I see a bunch of weird glitchy-looking monster sprites.

Naturally, I assume there's some kind of compatibility issue with all my mods and the loader I use to play Story of Red Cloud, and I uninstall everything. Oops.

In any case, this game is looking great. I'm really enjoying the ice biome, but getting increasingly tempted to just port in one of my old 1.1 characters so I can get a shot at actually seeing the pumpkin moon event before it's over.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

In any case, this game is looking great. I'm really enjoying the ice biome, but getting increasingly tempted to just port in one of my old 1.1 characters so I can get a shot at actually seeing the pumpkin moon event before it's over.

Luckily, the pumpkin moon is available year-round - you'll always be able to buy pumpkin seeds to get the materials to make the medallion.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

Haha, wow. I hadn't played Terraria since 1.1 and didn't know anything about the Halloween update. So I finally get around to booting it up after hearing other goons talk about how great it is in the Starbound thread, and I see a bunch of weird glitchy-looking monster sprites.

Naturally, I assume there's some kind of compatibility issue with all my mods and the loader I use to play Story of Red Cloud, and I uninstall everything. Oops.

The pumpkin moon event is not seasonal or anything, it's just an invasion you trigger by using an item. It lasts for one night.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

...increasingly tempted to just port in one of my old 1.1 characters so I can get a shot at actually seeing the pumpkin moon event before it's over.

The only thing it would be inconvenient to get after the Halloween thing is over would be the pumpkin needed to make the pumpkin moon charm, and if the wiki is right you'll be able to buy pumpkin seeds from the dryad. Even if buying those isn't all year round you could just stockpile a fuckton of pumpkin and/or pumpkin seeds and you'd be able to do the pumpkin moon event all year round if you pace yourself.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

As soon as Pumpkings start spawning I just fly up and kill them in the air while everything below dies a horrible death. Works pretty well, though I've killed over 25 Pumpkings with no drops besides gold and probably 50 Mourning Woods without any drops but the pet.

You could design this more optimally obviously, too lazy to change though.

e: New idea, giant pumpkin design. I'll use hay bales for the stairs up into the pumpkin and have the controls inside the stem.

Read fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 26, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Read posted:

The pumpkin moon event is not seasonal or anything, it's just an invasion you trigger by using an item. It lasts for one night.

And even the seasonal parts(goodie bag drops, monster costumes ect.) can be triggered by just changing your computer's clock.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Read posted:

As soon as Pumpkings start spawning I just fly up and kill them in the air while everything below dies a horrible death. Works pretty well, though I've killed over 25 Pumpkings with no drops besides gold and probably 50 Mourning Woods without any drops but the pet.

e: New idea, giant pumpkin design. I'll use hay bales for the stairs up into the pumpkin and have the controls inside the stem.

I just got that pet too, drat it's good.

I've only made it as far as wave 11 on a pumpkin moon :( But at least I got the jack'o lantern launcher, though ammo seems somewhat limited.

What's a good buff to drink before the fight? I took the one that lowers enemy defense for melee hits but mourning wood and pumpkings are immune to that. Are they immune to everything else too?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Jusupov posted:

I just got that pet too, drat it's good.

I've only made it as far as wave 11 on a pumpkin moon :( But at least I got the jack'o lantern launcher, though ammo seems somewhat limited.

What's a good buff to drink before the fight? I took the one that lowers enemy defense for melee hits but mourning wood and pumpkings are immune to that. Are they immune to everything else too?

Straight up damage still works. I drink Ale (crafted with an empty mug near a brew barrel) and eat a Pumpkin Pie (pumpkins at a forge), it boosts my melee damage into the crazy levels.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
If I fail to kill the Queen Bee first time around, will the item that spawns it reappear or have I lost it forever?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you've lost it, but you can craft an item that will spawn the queen for you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There are also frequently multiple hives on a world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RatHat posted:

I think you've lost it, but you can craft an item that will spawn the queen for you.
It's very simple to get, too, the hardest part is getting enough honey to both water and lava to make several, so you can get the trophy/bee outfit.

Speaking of which, I have the Bee Pants, but have no intention of grinding any more to get several others. So, I'll trade someone my bee pants and Queen Bee trophy for a Skeletron trophy. My Clothier Voodoo Doll is bugged, and I'm getting tired of making new worlds over and over.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Read posted:

What is the large item below you and the red thing to your right in this screenshot?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The red thing is a 3-second activation timer. Any mechanical devices hooked up to it by wire automatically activate every 3 seconds. It's presumably wired to all the traps so that they auto-fire.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kjermzs posted:

What is the large item below you and the red thing to your right in this screenshot?

Below is the golem altar from the jungle temple and to his right is a 3 second timer.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I see. Are actuators used here to get out from the top? What keeps those darts from killing you?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He probably just uses the Rod of Discord that's in his hotbar. It's crazy useful.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

drat, I need more play time. My second ~successful~ hardcore character is nearing the end of pre-hardmode like the previous one. Also I just flooded half of the dungeon. Glad I have the diving gear.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm trying to decide when to switch over to hardmode. Does looting chests now mean there will be less hardmode loot?

Also, is there any way to force rain to start falling, or is it just randomized?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

It's very simple to get, too, the hardest part is getting enough honey to both water and lava to make several, so you can get the trophy/bee outfit.

Speaking of which, I have the Bee Pants, but have no intention of grinding any more to get several others. So, I'll trade someone my bee pants and Queen Bee trophy for a Skeletron trophy. My Clothier Voodoo Doll is bugged, and I'm getting tired of making new worlds over and over.

Just make generators for each of them, and combine as needed, it's about the only construction I've actually done other than my NPC ghetto. Really easy
I just did a manual one with a bucket initially, then scaled it up to 3 tanks with pumps and channel/pipes to mix as needed, for infinite obsidian and crispy/blocks of honey

Just be carefull with the lava. I built this above my housing, hosed up what block to chip out to make crispy blocks, caused a lava tsunami, killed some dudes, and wrecked the gently caress out of loads of stuff.
Pretty funny actually.

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 26, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Just make generators for each of them, and combine as needed, it's about the only construction I've actually done other than my NPC ghetto. Really easy
I just did a manual one with a bucket initially, then scaled it up to 3 tanks with pumps and channel/pipes to mix as needed, for infinite obsidian and crispy/blocks of honey
Sounds neat! Any chance we could get a screenshot?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Read posted:

You could also line the floor with spike ball traps. The balls will bounce up and sit on top of the traps.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Now it's a proper dungeon. With BLOOD! :unsmigghh:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kjermzs posted:

I see. Are actuators used here to get out from the top? What keeps those darts from killing you?
Discord Rod lets me teleport in there, it's the 3rd item on my hotbar.

Kjermzs posted:

Lizhard Altar from the Jungle Temple, 3 Second Timer which pulses power to the traps every 3 seconds.

Office Thug posted:

You could also line the floor with spike ball traps. The balls will bounce up and sit on top of the traps.

Yeah, just too lazy to do that. I could also make it narrower and add flame traps on either side, I've since added a 1 pixel layer of lava as well.

e: Oh and I got to wave 15 solo when I swapped over to magic gear. Spectre healing is still so ridiculous.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just got the vampire knives (I know, I've been lazy). To anyone who's used both spectre armor/magic weapons and the vamp knives, which did you prefer?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hummingbirds posted:

Just got the vampire knives (I know, I've been lazy). To anyone who's used both spectre armor/magic weapons and the vamp knives, which did you prefer?

Now that the Spectre Armor's defense has been cut, Vamp Knives all the way, since you can still equip the Turtle Armor and facetank the gently caress out of things.

Spectre Armor still gets the social slot, though, especially in this time of year.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, I tried my usual "laugh at everything that hits me and skeet all over them with Golden Shower" trick with the Pumpkin Moon, until I realized the nerfs this time around had teeth, and I got ripped to pieces over and over. It's good to get some health back, but now you take damage so much faster in a mob and you get health back at a comparatively reduced rate, so you have to be a lot more evasive if you don't want to die.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So... I can't make torches anymore. I've got plenty of wood, but can't make torches.

e: VV Ah, I though I had that in my inventory already and was missing wood. Guess not.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 26, 2013

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

So... I can't make torches anymore. I've got plenty of wood, but can't make torches.

You need gel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hummingbirds posted:

Vamp knives + turtle armor has more survivability but magic weapons are still better for dealing with lots of enemies at once.

Read posted:

e: Oh and I got to wave 15 solo when I swapped over to magic gear. Spectre healing is still so ridiculous.

What was your loadout?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Vamp knives + turtle armor has more survivability but magic weapons are still better for dealing with lots of enemies at once.

What was your loadout?

Spectre Armour

"Warding" Leaf Wings / Lightning Boots / Ankh Shield / Destroyer Emblem / Cross Necklace

Inferno Fork / Rainbow Gun / Magnet Sphere / Nimbus Rod (all reforged to their best possible affix)

Well Fed, Ironskin, Clairvoyance

e: I had traps as well, of course.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 27, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone explain fluids to me. I built a Pyramid with two lava tanks at the bottom and a pump at the top. Then I connected everything to a three second timer. Problem is that this set up creates lava. Do I have to give up on my glorious base defence system or is there a way to remodel it so it doesn't flood the world?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

genericnick posted:

Someone explain fluids to me. I built a Pyramid with two lava tanks at the bottom and a pump at the top. Then I connected everything to a three second timer. Problem is that this set up creates lava. Do I have to give up on my glorious base defence system or is there a way to remodel it so it doesn't flood the world?
You'll want a traditional moat.

Or one shallow enough it doesn't destroy items.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has anyone found King/Queen statues since the 1.2 update? I just realized I've never seen any.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

Has anyone found King/Queen statues since the 1.2 update? I just realized I've never seen any.
Yup.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RatHat posted:

I've seen exactly one of each, and my queen statue showed up in a 1.2 world.

I should totally wire them up into my fortress of solitude so I can evacuate my NPCs during blood moons/eclipses/pumpkin moons. Or at least pretend to, since they'd probably respawn back in their houses when I teleport back up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

You'll want a traditional moat.

Or one shallow enough it doesn't destroy items.

Ah, I know that. I just like the idea of having an eternal lava waterfall murder everyone that climbs my pyramid.

• Locked thread