Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot trickier than that - that last 10 mph is an utter bitch. The stock ZX12 had "only" 160 bhp and could get to 185, the S1000 despite having 25% more oomph is only 5mph quicker, mainly because the ZX12's aerodynamics were specifically designed to get it up to those speeds when a superbike will make considerable aerodynamic sacrifices for improved cooling, etc. Even with those aerodynamic advantages a 200bhp ZX12 couldn't quite crack 200mph.

To quote the 200 Club article - "Aerodynamics is a real drag, man".

Isn't this pretty much why the busa looks like a slimy cat turd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot trickier than that -
Nope, Z3n pretty much had it. Saw it in a magazine article. Duct tape in the right places sealed the deal, 200mph on a 99% stock S1000RR. Although I'm not sure which magazine that was. If it was the BMW owners club magazine it's obviously legit, if it's one of those plebe ones, who knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm willing to bet it'll be a lot trickier than that - that last 10 mph is an utter bitch. The stock ZX12 had "only" 160 bhp and could get to 185, the S1000 despite having 25% more oomph is only 5mph quicker, mainly because the ZX12's aerodynamics were specifically designed to get it up to those speeds when a superbike will make considerable aerodynamic sacrifices for improved cooling, etc. Even with those aerodynamic advantages a 200bhp ZX12 couldn't quite crack 200mph.

To quote the 200 Club article - "Aerodynamics is a real drag, man".

PB did it with a gps datalogger, dunno if you can find it online.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Apparently ~my shiny red Honda~ had a dead cell in the battery. So they're going to chuck a new one in and deliver the bike back to my house.

Hopefully that'll be the last problem I have for a while. :rolleyes:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slavvy posted:

Aren't there a couple of zx-14 riders on here? Have you guys ever tested the speed limiter for science in a closed environment?
When I flashed the ECU on my C14 they took the limiter off which is coded at 250KPH for 2010+, of which many have verified. I've had mine at a little over 260KPH indicated.

The first couple years of C14 had 300KPH limiters, not sure how many have tried it though.

Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Isn't this pretty much why the busa looks like a slimy cat turd?

I like how my busa looks :smith:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

PB did it with a gps datalogger, dunno if you can find it online.

Well that's pretty loving impressive then.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Well, one tricky load-out of a U-haul Cargo Van and one pissed off wife (who very awesomely helped me with said tricky load-out even though she is very small) later…

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Took a trip around Philadelphia Art Museum last Sunday. The place was so crowded with tourists and wedding parties so had to wait a while for the steps to clear. Meanwhile dozens of people posed on and near the bikes. It was a nice trip, but definitely doing it on a weekday next time around.

Mine is the filthiest one without flags and other poo poo

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
What is that? Looks like an older Shadow but there's enough different about it that I don't think it is. It's looking very nice though. How are the progressive shocks working out?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's an '86 Intruder VS700. Suzuki produced it virtually unchanged until ~2005, only upping the displacement to 800cc. Very light and nimble for a cruiser. Other bikes are 750 Shadow VL-something and Yamaha Vstar 1100. My bike is actually the quickest of the bunch :)

The shocks are amazing, best dollar to comfort ratio on a bike, period. They are 5 way adjustable and I actually soften them up for long highway trips and stiffen 'em back up for city or 2up riding. Also, I have a Corbin gunfighter seat on order. It's about 1" higher and comes highly recommended by Intruder forums. After that is a set of Progressive fork springs. But that'll probably wait till spring.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Step one, install new hand guards

Step two, test new hand guards

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Step 3: Bent pegs, exhaust and mirror back into shape :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You're not the first goon to try to convert their Triumph into an 'adventure bike'. I think Rope Kid has moved on to farkling out bicycles since then...

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

n8r posted:

You're not the first goon to try to convert their Triumph into an 'adventure bike'. I think Rope Kid has moved on to farkling out bicycles since then...

Well if you had a vintage triumph it would be an "adventure" bike,just in a different way. There is adventure in "is it going to start under 5 kicks?", "Will it start today at all?", "will the sludge trap finally seize up the crankshaft?"
If you want a real "adventure" buy vintage british iron.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

TheCoconutman posted:

Well if you had a vintage triumph it would be an "adventure" bike,just in a different way. There is adventure in "is it going to start under 5 kicks?", "Will it start today at all?", "will the sludge trap finally seize up the crankshaft?"
If you want a real "adventure" buy vintage british iron.

no guarantee the adventure will be a good one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Real adventures are only fun when they happen to other people/are viewed in retrospect from a long distance in space-time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Can't be any worse than the Ulysses off pavement!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
If you're falling down that much it's time you put some dual-sport tires or knobbies on that Scrambler. My CX500 was similarly shaped, and riding it in the dirt/sand/whatever was fun because of proper tires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Triumph does actually make an ADV bike, too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
An old UJM may have skinny enough tires that knobbies might be fairly helpful. Modern wider tires regardless of tread still really suck rear end offroad.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

The stock Trail Wings it came with seem pretty close to what I want. I'm not trying to turn it into some ridiculous off road beast. I just enjoy hitting up desert trails and would prefer to do so without breaking my clutch lever off.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You should be fine with the stock tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNQkEPcm3c

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ManicJason posted:

The stock Trail Wings it came with seem pretty close to what I want. I'm not trying to turn it into some ridiculous off road beast. I just enjoy hitting up desert trails and would prefer to do so without breaking my clutch lever off.

Oh, I have trail wings. Well I had, but I replaced the back with an Annakee after it developed a huge cut in it. They're fine for dirt roads. What happens when you crash? Does it happen the same way all the time? I've only crashed standing still on dirt roads.

Try standing up more.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I've only dropped it off road twice. The time pictured above was stupidly following another goon who didn't warn me about gigantic rocky potholes over the crest of a hill. I should have walked the hill and not trusted him when he said it was easy!

It was much worse farther down where I had my off (and my bike is pictured.)

That's exactly the kind of trail that are beyond my skills and possibly bike and exactly why I put on some protection. No damage at all other than a couple of new scratches.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Deeters posted:

You should be fine with the stock tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNQkEPcm3c
Stuff like this makes me miss the hell out of having a place to ride dirt. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Triumph does actually make an ADV bike, too.

I saw this post last night and though "Oh yeah, the Tiger, I've not seen one of them in ages". Then half an hour later one of them cut me up in slow traffic and then got pulled over for going into the bike box at a junction.

I guess what I'm saying is can you make more posts about nymphomaniacs please?

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

darth cookie posted:

Apparently ~my shiny red Honda~ had a dead cell in the battery. So they're going to chuck a new one in and deliver the bike back to my house.

Hopefully that'll be the last problem I have for a while. :rolleyes:

Save yourself some trouble down the road and replace the R/R with a modern one. I grabbed a used one from an '08 R1, you'll have to add the new connectors to the harness but that's simple. The kit I bought also had a direct connection to the battery with an inline fuse. I think it was from roadstercycles.com, I can double check when I get home.

I love my VTR, it's such a fun bike. I just wish the gas tank wasn't so small.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

ManicJason posted:

I've only dropped it off road twice. The time pictured above was stupidly following another goon who didn't warn me about gigantic rocky potholes over the crest of a hill. I should have walked the hill and not trusted him when he said it was easy!

I have no idea who you're talking about, but I'm sure you exaggerate. I bet your friend was only placing the utmost faith in you, your bike and your skills, and if anything, has given you the opportunity to build character and field-test your very handsome new guards. You should probably write him a thank you note. :colbert:

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Behold the worlds worst motorcycle

Anyone that's been following the ninja 250 thread might already know this story but I bought the bike in August, after a few trips down the shore it was time for a valve adjustment and I botched it. $400 and a month later a new motor was in. Today I went out to buy razor blades and it took 3 hours, for the first time I have a bike that isn't leaking oil and for the most part running well.

I'm in love again

tbb9 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 26, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$400 isn't bad for a new motor ;)
Congratulations man, welcome to the best addiction of your life. :)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

$400 isn't bad for a new motor ;)
Congratulations man, welcome to the best addiction of your life. :)

Even when it's basically a 1980's sewing machine?

I kid, I kid.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hey at least it's a water cooled sewing machine.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Whoops...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Okay, where is the review? That is something I've really wanted to give a shot...

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I bought it at 11am with 47 miles on it.

I got back home at 9pm with 463 miles in it.

In short, I love this bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bike looks drat nice, but that plate holder looks even more hideous than it should

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

Bike looks drat nice, but that plate holder looks even more hideous than it should

This, absolutely.

In other news, I was puttering around behind a Whole Foods and found a river today.

e: Aaah! Tables!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

slidebite posted:

Oh god I know. That will be the first thing to go when someone makes a bolt on bracket for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

In other news, I was puttering around behind a Whole Foods and found a river today.

That's the WF near North & Clybourn! I actually recognized it from that photo.

Also, for the FZ-09, people have been using a "Tail Tidy" to get rid of that hideous protrusion. Don't go to tailtidy.com though, because woah :nws: