Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

You can't post this one without some of the :iceburn:s the LL fans came up with:

As terrible as LL101 is, "Dependence Day" got a chuckle out of me. Was not expecting that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I like how several of those titles could as easily be critical of conservatives' insistence on a bizarre straw man version of Obama. "The Hunt For Red Obama" totally sounds like a documentary where someone asks a zillion conservatives for actual evidence of Obama being a communist and comes up with none because, you know, reality.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Or Barrack's List. I know they were going for "hurrr, Obama=Nazi!", but... I mean, they do realize that Schindler was the "good guy" of the movie, right? :ohdear:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Barack's List (of people he wants to help with the Affordable Care Act)

Also I learned about the Southern Strategy in high school :smug: possibly because my US history teacher used to be in the Nation of Islam and made a point to include as much black history into the lessons as he could. Pretty cool experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

You can't post this one without some of the :iceburn:s the LL fans came up with:

Between complaining about websites being down and literally "replace movie names with Murloc!", conservative political discourse has been reduced to the level of wowplayers.txt

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Fulchrum posted:

Any discussion of the Southern Strategy needs to include this.

http://conservapedia.com/Southern_strategy

The Southern strategy is something that happened. It is not racist. This concludes all information on the Southern Strategy.

quote:

The Southern strategy is a path to the White House by winning support in the South rather than the media centers of Boston and New York City.

Liberals, repeatedly unpopular in the South, have tried to attribute this strategy to racial politics. The reality is that liberals have always played the racist card far more often than Republicans do.

:lol:

Sir Rolo posted:

Obamacare

There is no :ironicat: big enough for this. We're just going to completely ignore that the Republican platform was so adamant against those millions getting affordable healthcare, that they went ridiculously far out of their way to gut the ACA at every turn.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I have a cousin who has started posting those "Liberal Logic 101" things. I want to say something, but I want to keep the peace. I mean, he basically helped save my father-in-laws life after his own father was killed and he's one of the only family members who took our side in a dispute over inheritance and is a real stand-up, honest guy with two awesome sons and admittedly used to be a Democrat until the gun control thing heated up (he has another uncle who's a local elected official who's a Dem) and the ACA passed in 2010 and he was scared to bring it up (this is Appalachia we're talking about). I chalk it up to him living in a town of about 5,000 that's over an hour from anything resembling a city, with no non-white people to be seen.

Peer pressure accounts for a good deal of the average person's politics.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

De Nomolos posted:

I have a cousin who has started posting those "Liberal Logic 101" things. I want to say something, but I want to keep the peace. I mean, he basically helped save my father-in-laws life after his own father was killed and he's one of the only family members who took our side in a dispute over inheritance and is a real stand-up, honest guy with two awesome sons and admittedly used to be a Democrat until the gun control thing heated up (he has another uncle who's a local elected official who's a Dem) and the ACA passed in 2010 and he was scared to bring it up (this is Appalachia we're talking about). I chalk it up to him living in a town of about 5,000 that's over an hour from anything resembling a city, with no non-white people to be seen.

If he's a good, reasonable guy, then it sounds like he'd listen if you just approached him in a respectful way. He seems to need some perspectives from outside that echo chamber, so give them to him.

seiferguy posted:

I went to a private HS and my history teacher was a Harvard grad. Historically our students did twice as well as the mean average for HS students on the AP exam. Still no mention of Southern Strategy, though. I think it's more indicative of what the AP exam wants which is useless facts, with the essay being the only thing testing critical reasoning.

I did take a post-1865 US history class in college and it was never discussed there either.

The Southern Strategy isn't taught in history classes because it clearly demonstrates that the modern GOP is a party of racists, by racists, for racists. This would be hurtful to Republican students/parents/donors/board members/etc. It is, in fact, too politically incorrect to teach.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

You're absolutely right about peer pressure. The line you have to walk with people you know irl is to voice your opinion well and respectfully so that the discussion can be above the level of just trading lolopposingparty.jpg and also to demonstrate that there are reasonable people with your view out there.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

stan worship posted:

I guess those folks are really banking on being the only source of information for their readers, because every time I've ever googled "southern strategy" I've come across the remarks Lee Atwater made about who it targeted:

I redacted the slur, since I'm not sure it would be okay to post it uncensored, but it really speaks to what caused the south to defect to the GOP so quickly in that time period.

e: beaten to the punch!

Don't redact it, he sure didn't.

Also, the response to the Atwater quote is to claim that he was taken out of context and that he was really talking about what the Democrats do.

stan worship
Oct 23, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

Ok, that's reasonable.

VideoTapir posted:

Also, the response to the Atwater quote is to claim that he was taken out of context and that he was really talking about what the Democrats do.

That would fit - they already think the Democrats are to blame for slavery and the KKK.

Essentially, "anything bad in US history? Democrats did it!" :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All those awful Democrats cutting spending and entitlements. loving assholes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Let's just switch the names of the parties right now. Democrats are now Republicans, Republicans are now Democrats.

Would the now-Democrats still say THE DEMOCRATS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KKK :byodood:

Of course not. They'd be sure to tell you how the parties actually switched.

Only they would do it without a hint of self-awareness.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

miscellaneous14 posted:

The Southern strategy is a path to the White House by winning support in the South rather than the media centers of Boston and New York City.

This isn't wrong, at least. I mean you're halfway there. "And how does one do that?" gets you the rest of the way.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

VideoTapir posted:

Isn't it that he was talking about perceptions, rather than intentions? I've heard that before, at any rate. It's hard to really make out a lot of the audio.

quote:

Q: But [Reagan’s] not going to lose the south if he goes along with what the blacks want on voting rights, is what you’re saying?

A: That should be a thrust of his. In 1968, the whole southern strategy that Harry and those put together, the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the south. Now they don’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the south is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he’s campaigned on since 1964. And that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cutting taxes, you know, the whole cluster, and being tough on national defense.

Q: But might there–I’m not saying that he does this consciously–but the fact is that he does get to the Wallace voter, and to the racist side of the Wallace voter, by doing away with legal services, by doing away with, cutting down on food stamps–

A: Here’s how I would approach that issue as a statistician, a political scientist–or no, as a psychologist, which I am not, is how abstract you handle the race thing.

In other words you start out in - now y’all don’t quote me on this – you start out in 1954 by saying friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family. By 1968 you can’t say friend of the family, that hurts, there’s a backlash, so you say stuff like forced busing, states rights and all that stuff. And you’re getting so abstract now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all of these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it, I’m not saying it. But I’m saying that if it is getting that abstract and that coded, then we’re doing away with the racial problem one way or another. You follow me? ‘Cause obviously sitting around saying, we want to cut taxes, we want to cut this, and we want–is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than friend of the family, friend of the family. So any way you look at it, race is coming on the back burner.

He seems to be talking about race becoming less of an issue in politics, at least in part. It's a response to a question about whether Reagan is trying to appeal to racist voters by talking about cutting food stamps or whatever. And the answer that he gives is along the lines of "Well, maybe so. But even if it's the case, the veiling of it through these economic things is a step away from explicitly racial politics."

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 27, 2013

stan worship
Oct 23, 2013

myron cope posted:

Let's just switch the names of the parties right now. Democrats are now Republicans, Republicans are now Democrats.

Would the now-Democrats still say THE DEMOCRATS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KKK :byodood:

Of course not. They'd be sure to tell you how the parties actually switched.

Only they would do it without a hint of self-awareness.

What's so strange, is it's not even like it matters, ultimately. Yeah, the GOP is the party of Lincoln. It's also the party of Benjamin Harrison, who promised to end Reconstruction in exchange for the House Democrats letting him win the 1876 election when it was too close to call. African Americans in the south were immediately buried under Jim Crow for the next 80-90 years. The Plessy v. Ferguson case was decided by 8 justices, only two of whom were Democratic appointments. Jim Crow laws were upheld 7-1 in that case. If it was only Democrats who were "the real racists", that case should have gone 6-2 for overturning segregation.

The guys coming up with these image macros pointing out that the early KKK voted Democratic, and stuff like that put way too much stock into the actual parties, and gloss over the voting blocs that were really to blame for all the racism in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

I realize that's the point of them doing this - I just dislike the deceptiveness.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Strudel Man posted:

Isn't it that he was talking about perceptions, rather than intentions? I've heard that before, at any rate. It's hard to really make out a lot of the audio.

He seems to be talking about race becoming less of an issue in politics, at least in part. It's a response to a question about whether Reagan is trying to appeal to racist voters by talking about cutting food stamps or whatever. And the answer that he gives is along the lines of "Well, maybe so. But even if it's the case, the veiling of it through these economic things is a step away from explicitly racial politics."

I interpret it not as "the veiling of it through these economic things is a step away from explicitly racial politics." and more as "this is a way to thinly veil racist ideals as a more widely palatable platform."

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

stan worship posted:

What's so strange, is it's not even like it matters, ultimately. Yeah, the GOP is the party of Lincoln. It's also the party of Benjamin Harrison, who promised to end Reconstruction in exchange for the House Democrats letting him win the 1876 election when it was too close to call. African Americans in the south were immediately buried under Jim Crow for the next 80-90 years. The Plessy v. Ferguson case was decided by 8 justices, only two of whom were Democratic appointments. Jim Crow laws were upheld 7-1 in that case. If it was only Democrats who were "the real racists", that case should have gone 6-2 for overturning segregation.

The guys coming up with these image macros pointing out that the early KKK voted Democratic, and stuff like that put way too much stock into the actual parties, and gloss over the voting blocs that were really to blame for all the racism in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

I realize that's the point of them doing this - I just dislike the deceptiveness.

I think it's worth pointing out the bottom of the image (obscured in that screenshot) calls for blacks to leave "the Democrat plantation". It's not just bad history, it's bad politics too – or perhaps just another idiotic Thanksgiving dinner talking point?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
And That Student Was Albert Einstein: The Movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8

In theatres 2014!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

TinTower posted:

In theatres 2014!

I hope they recreate this version of that story 100% with no sense of irony or self awareness:

quote:

A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.
p.s. close the borders

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TinTower posted:

In theatres 2014!

"Science supports his existence!"

Wait. What?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I like the version where the professor stands and says God has an hour to knock me down and the SEAL punches him. It's more :911:

I do like "smirked quite Jewishly" though :lol:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

BonoMan posted:

Wait. What?

Willful misinterpretation of the Higgs-Boson, the "God Particle" maybe?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
"Smirked quite Jewishly" caught me completely off guard. Absolutely amazing.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Wait. What?

This is at the elite university where a freshman philosophy class is ordered to write "God Is Dead" to pass. I think there might be some fictionalized aspects of this real-life persecution story.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

BonoMan posted:

I interpret it not as "the veiling of it through these economic things is a step away from explicitly racial politics." and more as "this is a way to thinly veil racist ideals as a more widely palatable platform."
That's certainly the way the quote has been bruited about, but it doesn't seem like the most natural interpretation of the bits about "So any way you look at it, race is coming on the back burner," or "But I’m saying that if it is getting that abstract and that coded, then we’re doing away with the racial problem one way or another."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TinTower posted:

In theatres 2014!

Is that Kevin Sorbo as the liberal professor? I know he has been in hard times lately but still :psyduck:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Is that Kevin Sorbo as the liberal professor? I know he has been in hard times lately but still :psyduck:

Jesus is punishing him for portraying Greek paganism in a positive light. :angel:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

He was also in Alongside Night which is basically Atlas Shrugged for teenagers.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but it's still implicitly racial politics, and that's enough to gain support from racists, if there is no one running as an explicit racist; while running as an explicit racist would lose support from everyone else.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

He was also in Alongside Night which is basically Atlas Shrugged for teenagers.

Atlas Shrugged is Atlas Shrugged for teenagers.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Sorbo is a pretty big conservative

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Willful misinterpretation of the Higgs-Boson, the "God Particle" maybe?

If that were the case it would be extra funny because the Higgs-Boson is nicknamed the "God Particle" because the scientists working on it wanted to call it the "GODDAMNED Particle" because it was so hard to find.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Professor Liberal Strawman

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Do hospitals let blankets hang down all willy-nilly when inserting someone into the big ol' science machine? It seems kinda dangerous to me.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Here's a random potpourri of side stories from LL101 as well - these are only on the main site so they don't seem to get shared the same way as the memes:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/24/marines-turn-noses-obamas-new-girly-hats/
http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-marines-girly-hats-2013-10

http://dannycarlton.com/

http://www.culturalcognition.net/blog/2013/10/15/some-data-on-education-religiosity-ideology-and-science-comp.html
http://www.culturalcognition.net/blog/2013/10/19/congratulations-tea-party-members-you-are-just-as-vulnerable.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Why would the French blush at a hat that they themselves use?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Look, they should be glad they still get real hats instead of the lovely flight cap or the goddamn beret that the AF/Army have to deal with in their service uniforms.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Sure, Kepis are "girly". It's not like any randomly selected member of the French Foreign Legion has more balls than ten readers of Liberal Logic or anything.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Any Marine who thinks the Daly Cap is too girly should visit Sergeant Major Daly's grave at Cyprus Hills National Cemetery, look at the Medal of Honor inscribed on his marker and let Dan Daly know that his hat was too feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

Atlas Shrugged is Atlas Shrugged for teenagers.

Yeah I was trying to think of a joke along those lines but didnt really care enough to make it.