Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I own a keurig and French press. The keurig is for my morning joe to wake me up. The French press is for when I want to enjoy a cup of coffee. The two can coexist.

I will go and say that I own a french press, and enjoy it thoroughly. I also drink the drip coffee at work and thoroughly enjoy it because it tastes different, but still good.

Anyway if you're buying a keurig as a gift, go hog wild if that's what they want, but I do recommend a french press for lack of required counter space, simplicity and flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So, let me ask what is potentially going to be the most trivial question asked in this thread in a while: does anyone have an oven thermometer to recommend? I'm assuming they're pretty much all the same, but I figure it makes sense to ask just in case there's something I'm overlooking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So, let me ask what is potentially going to be the most trivial question asked in this thread in a while: does anyone have an oven thermometer to recommend? I'm assuming they're pretty much all the same, but I figure it makes sense to ask just in case there's something I'm overlooking.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-24HP-01-1-100-600F-Thermometer/dp/B00125TABM/ref=cm_rdp_product

I use that one and it works wonderfully. People have complained about not being able to read the dial from outside the oven, but I don't have a window in my oven to do that. :shrug:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

mindphlux posted:

aww, someone gave me a vitamix for my 30th birfday :3:

people are so nice

joining the club :getin:

aren't you too old for presents

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

icehewk posted:

aren't you too old for presents

I got my wife one a couple months ago for her 28th birthday. Gave it to her a month early because I couldn't let it sit there unused.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have an old Le Creuset 5 qt enameled dutch oven. Recently I noticed a chip in the enamel in the inside bottom. The chip is shallow and I can't see bare metal, just white. Is it time to retire this thing or can I ignore the chip? I bought it used at an estate sale and got 3 good years out of it but would rather not toss it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have an old Le Creuset 5 qt enameled dutch oven. Recently I noticed a chip in the enamel in the inside bottom. The chip is shallow and I can't see bare metal, just white. Is it time to retire this thing or can I ignore the chip? I bought it used at an estate sale and got 3 good years out of it but would rather not toss it.

Mine has a similar chip and I wouldn't worry. Just try not to use metal implements in it to make it worse.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Any thoughts on upright vs. chest for an extra basement freezer? I've had both over the years, and I'm still not sure which I prefer. Even with the best drawer systems, rooting around in a chest freezer can be a pretty miserable task, especially if you store a lot of smaller items. Having to remove everything and manually defrost it once a year is also pretty lovely. On the other hand, I appreciate that they are significantly more energy efficient and don't leak all the cold air the moment you open the door, although opening them regularly also exacerbates the frost issue. Also, auto-defrost is supposedly bad for extended food storage because of the temperature fluctuation. I'm not too concerned about the cost difference.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bob_McBob posted:

Any thoughts on upright vs. chest for an extra basement freezer? I've had both over the years, and I'm still not sure which I prefer. Even with the best drawer systems, rooting around in a chest freezer can be a pretty miserable task, especially if you store a lot of smaller items. Having to remove everything and manually defrost it once a year is also pretty lovely. On the other hand, I appreciate that they are significantly more energy efficient and don't leak all the cold air the moment you open the door, although opening them regularly also exacerbates the frost issue. Also, auto-defrost is supposedly bad for extended food storage because of the temperature fluctuation. I'm not too concerned about the cost difference.

If you have room for a chest, go chest. Anecdotal, but between my MiL and some friends, I've seen 3 dead uprights that were less than 5 years old, versus zero chest ones in that age range. They have to work harder because they lose a lot of cold (depending on how full) every time you open them. That being said, they are handy for grabbing things out easily. But I'd still go 100% chest. My mother has 3 of them, and 2 are over 40 years old and still chugging along. One lives in the unheated garage, and is the sole source of heat in there hahah.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Thought I'd post this here too:

There is a blade recall for the Vitamix "Low Profile" 64oz container blades, they can apparently break and :gibs:.

The process is pretty painless:
http://www.containerbladerecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some advice on some pans (mainly 8 10 12" omelette and sautee) for the inlaws that can withstand a beating.

Here's the thing. They have nonstick pans but they continue to use metal utensils on them even though they have the plastic ones. They also hate hand washing anything and the pans always go in the dishwasher. These people aren't going to change the way they do things, so I'm just looking for something that can take a beating.

Stainless pans they won't use, so those are out. I'm thinking the caphalon anodized ones maybe?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nwin posted:

Need some advice on some pans (mainly 8 10 12" omelette and sautee) for the inlaws that can withstand a beating.

Here's the thing. They have nonstick pans but they continue to use metal utensils on them even though they have the plastic ones. They also hate hand washing anything and the pans always go in the dishwasher. These people aren't going to change the way they do things, so I'm just looking for something that can take a beating.

Stainless pans they won't use, so those are out. I'm thinking the caphalon anodized ones maybe?
What's the rationale for avoiding stainless? They're the archetypal "don't give a gently caress" pans.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
We're looking at a house built in 2009 that has a (Sub-Zero fridge, Wolf gas cooktop and convection microwave/gas oven double oven setup. (I didn't get the exact model numbers of the actual appliances, these are the current versions that are on the site)

My question is, how do they hold up long term? I'm guessing the ovens/cooktop rarely got used so they're practically like new, but the fridge has been running from day one. Would we be looking at hefty repairs in the near future or would we have many blissful years of worry free service? Unlike the current owner, I would actually cook in the kitchen instead of having it be a status item. In their mind the kitchen is worth what it would cost to put in today, no depreciation because of the name. Are they on board with that? Sure, it's only 4 years old, but do they really hold their value that well? I've never had "nice" appliances so I have no idea.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No Wave posted:

What's the rationale for avoiding stainless? They're the archetypal "don't give a gently caress" pans.

Because they won't grease them up, complain it isn't nonstick, and proceed to use their old beat up nonstick pans.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

nwin posted:

Because they won't grease them up, complain it isn't nonstick, and proceed to use their old beat up nonstick pans.

I'm assuming the pans are for a gift, but does the gift have to be pans? Why would you give somebody something that they've already demonstrated a willful ignorance about? There is no magical pan to cope with that irrationality. That said, ceramic lined pans would probably be the best choice. They're nonstick, can be used in the dishwasher, can be used with metal utensils, but I'm not sure about their durability. I get your intent. It's like watching someone cut with a dull knife. You could get them a brand new, high quality knife. But they'd never sharpen it, let alone hone it, and after awhile they'll be back to cutting with a dull knife and thinking that's okay.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

logical fallacy posted:

I'm assuming the pans are for a gift, but does the gift have to be pans? Why would you give somebody something that they've already demonstrated a willful ignorance about? There is no magical pan to cope with that irrationality. That said, ceramic lined pans would probably be the best choice. They're nonstick, can be used in the dishwasher, can be used with metal utensils, but I'm not sure about their durability. I get your intent. It's like watching someone cut with a dull knife. You could get them a brand new, high quality knife. But they'd never sharpen it, let alone hone it, and after awhile they'll be back to cutting with a dull knife and thinking that's okay.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. Some of it was also me being on vacation staying with them and saying 'I'm not loving cooking on these', but the new pans will surely be ruined the next time I visit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squidder posted:

We're looking at a house built in 2009 that has a (Sub-Zero fridge, Wolf gas cooktop and convection microwave/gas oven double oven setup. (I didn't get the exact model numbers of the actual appliances, these are the current versions that are on the site)

My question is, how do they hold up long term? I'm guessing the ovens/cooktop rarely got used so they're practically like new, but the fridge has been running from day one. Would we be looking at hefty repairs in the near future or would we have many blissful years of worry free service? Unlike the current owner, I would actually cook in the kitchen instead of having it be a status item. In their mind the kitchen is worth what it would cost to put in today, no depreciation because of the name. Are they on board with that? Sure, it's only 4 years old, but do they really hold their value that well? I've never had "nice" appliances so I have no idea.
They're really loving good appliances, and I wouldn't expect them to start malfunctioning just because they're four years old. That said, pricing them as if they're brand new is nuts. If it was a rental property, for example, standard depreciation would be over five years. Not saying that it's that simple here, but I guarantee that if you get an appraiser in to look at the house they're not going to value the appliances at their current list price, and if you're getting a home loan that's something that's presumably either going to happen or will happen soon, and will be a factor in the actual loan amount.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler

SubG posted:

They're really loving good appliances, and I wouldn't expect them to start malfunctioning just because they're four years old. That said, pricing them as if they're brand new is nuts. If it was a rental property, for example, standard depreciation would be over five years. Not saying that it's that simple here, but I guarantee that if you get an appraiser in to look at the house they're not going to value the appliances at their current list price, and if you're getting a home loan that's something that's presumably either going to happen or will happen soon, and will be a factor in the actual loan amount.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting them to crap out immediately, I'm more looking at a "oh yeah, around X years this might need to be fixed" and the further in the future that is, the better. Looking around the internet for life expectancy or cost of repairs leads down the deepest, darkest rabbit hole of :byodood: "YOU'RE A TERRIBLE DUMB PERSON SPENDING SO MUCH ON APPLIANCES! MY GRANDMA BOUGHT A GE BACK IN 1960 AND IT'S STILL RUNNING" :byodame:

I really hope we can chisel through the seller's lunacy, the place is awesome and the kitchen is pretty perfect for me.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The wolf ranges we have at work are 30 years old and still working. That oven/range will probably never die.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

nwin posted:

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. Some of it was also me being on vacation staying with them and saying 'I'm not loving cooking on these', but the new pans will surely be ruined the next time I visit.

Calphalon non-stick pans are more durable than telfon coated pans, but are not as smooth (from my experience). So, you have to balance between durability and slickness. The Calphalon pans that I used were non-stick if I used enough butter/oil, so I rarely had problems with them.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The wolf ranges we have at work are 30 years old and still working. That oven/range will probably never die.

Buying quality ranges really pays off in the long run. My parents bought their house and built the kitchen in 1977. The Voss oven died two years ago and the gas cooktop is coughing a bit now. My mom sent the company a (obviously joking) letter complaining about the short lifespan of the products, they wrote one back apologizing profusely. She'll have to replace the cooktop soon, which is a shame, but they don't stock the surface burners or the piezo igniters any longer.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm sure the ovens will outlive me. Of course something on the fridge will eventually need to be fixed due to it being used all day every day, and that's fine. That said, now I'm trying to figure out a more realistic value for them, since the sellers consider them to have no depreciation at all. Basically, these people built an awesome house in 2009 and stuffed it full of all sorts of high end amenities and then proceeded to lease it out to a lady that used it as her office. So the house has been more of a showcase than a residence, and now that they're trying to sell it, they think of it as "new". Granted, 4 years is nothing in house years, but they're using the original cost of everything to set the price (which is absurdly high). I'm taking all of their selling points and trying to get more realistic numbers so we can make an offer that is reasonable for everyone. I know this seems like the smart thing to do is say, "gently caress it" and find a different house, but this place is really great and we really dig it. Of course we're still looking at other places, and I know Sub-Zero/Wolf isn't the be-all end-all, but godDAMN they're sexy. :shlick:

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

I'm looking for an outdoor cooking burner or turkey fryer that runs on propane, has a stand, has the balls for proper stir frying, and is pretty cheap.

10 minutes of searching narrowed it down to this one, which has good reviews and good BTUs (heh), but I'd be heated if there was a better pre-made option. I would also wouldn't mind getting a comparable or better burner somewhere, building a gas hose, and DIYing an electrical conduit frame around it if someone knows of such a burner.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI

I have it standing on a metal table so it is at proper cooking height. Works pretty well. Yours looks pretty good, too, though. I pretty much only use mine for stirfrying with mild bouts of homebrewing and deep frying.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Amazon just dropped the price of the newer Cuisinart multiclad 12 piece set (MCP-12N) from $299 to $232 if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXPS6U/

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
For cleanup, I can't recommend Method multisurface cleaner enough. It's all natural, kills 98% of germs and cuts grease better than anything I've ever tried.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I need to replace my old frying pans. They get used every day, but are non-stick... well, used to be non-stick, until half of it wore off and probably gave me cancer. Excluding the three I am going to throw out, I also have a hefty cast iron skillet, a bigass wok and one of those cast iron square frypan things with the raised ridges (which i never use, because it seems useless, so that should probably go too).

I'm sticking with All Clad, because everything I have ever bought from them has been perfect. And because my wife is annoying about having things match. Even though she doesn't cook.

Saute pan or frying pan (which I think might be also called a skillet in the US)? And is the extra $60 for a copper core worth the trouble?

I also figure I will probably still want at least one non-stick pan for eggs and such, but I was just going to pick up something cheap and replaceable.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I also figure I will probably still want at least one non-stick pan for eggs and such, but I was just going to pick up something cheap and replaceable.

Restaurant supply is the way to go for a nice aluminum nonstick pan. I use my 8" one almost every day and have no regrets banging it up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

For cleanup, I can't recommend Method multisurface cleaner enough. It's all natural, kills 98% of germs and cuts grease better than anything I've ever tried.
The purple stuff?

Saute pan or frying pan (which I think might be also called a skillet in the US)?
The saute is nice because when you're tossing stuff in there it doesn't fly out as easily, the fry pan is a little more open so it lets off evaporation slightly better, but in reality you could use either one for either task just fine.

If you're shopping for All-Clads might want to check out Home Goods or other discount stores, they have plenty of All-Clad all the time

quote:

And is the extra $60 for a copper core worth the trouble?
According to everyone here who's had them, copper's not really worth the extra $$$

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 30, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Amazon just dropped the price of the newer Cuisinart multiclad 12 piece set (MCP-12N) from $299 to $232 if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXPS6U/
For those who might buy, I own a full set of MCP pans and don't own a single pan that is in this set. Strongly suggest buying separately (specifically, 12" pans instead of 10", 2/4 quart pans instead of 1.5/3, and skip the stockpot, use your pressure cooker (bought separately) for that instead. That is my recommendation.

I need to replace my old frying pans. They get used every day, but are non-stick... well, used to be non-stick, until half of it wore off and probably gave me cancer. Excluding the three I am going to throw out, I also have a hefty cast iron skillet, a bigass wok and one of those cast iron square frypan things with the raised ridges (which i never use, because it seems useless, so that should probably go too).

I'm sticking with All Clad, because everything I have ever bought from them has been perfect. And because my wife is annoying about having things match. Even though she doesn't cook.

Saute pan or frying pan (which I think might be also called a skillet in the US)? And is the extra $60 for a copper core worth the trouble?

Really like my T-fal non-stick right now. Watching rice slide around teflon as it gets crispy is fairly magical.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

[...]

Honestly I would stick with the cast iron and just keep using it until it gets a good seasoning on it. Mine are more nonstick than any teflon pan I've ever used, and it's going to last even if you smack it around with metal spatulas.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Marv Albert posted:

I'm looking for an outdoor cooking burner or turkey fryer that runs on propane, has a stand, has the balls for proper stir frying, and is pretty cheap.

10 minutes of searching narrowed it down to this one, which has good reviews and good BTUs (heh), but I'd be heated if there was a better pre-made option. I would also wouldn't mind getting a comparable or better burner somewhere, building a gas hose, and DIYing an electrical conduit frame around it if someone knows of such a burner.

If you also need a pot, there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-815-4001-S-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B002HEL5QA/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1383116419&sr=1-5
I use it for boiling wort, and it works well enough.

If you don't also need the pot, my research prior to buying that one seems to indicate that the bayou classic burners are the way to go

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 30, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

feelz good man posted:

Honestly I would stick with the cast iron and just keep using it until it gets a good seasoning on it. Mine are more nonstick than any teflon pan I've ever used, and it's going to last even if you smack it around with metal spatulas.
I just can't believe this. I mean, I guess I have to, but that's really atypical for how cast-iron usually turns out. Teflon is crazy stuff and is a useful tool to have. Asking most home cooks to make their eggs in a cast-iron is a recipe for frustration.

Like, you can just take cooked rice, plop it in a teflon pan, put it on low heat on your stovetop and it won't even stick, it'll just gradually get crispy. It is a weird and fun material.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 30, 2013

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Steve Yun posted:

The purple stuff?

Yep.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

feelz good man posted:

My major issue with cast iron (aside from the time it takes to get that glassy, mirror finish nonstick on it) is that idiotic nubbins of a handle. Yes, I understand that the bloody thing weighs a ton, so who in their right mind would want to pick it up and toss it about like one does with a normal pan (me)? Yes, bla bla makes it cheaper, bla bla can produce faster. It's just an annoying pan to use overall, and not one that I found myself reaching for (which is why I gave mine away to someone who would show it more love).

@No Wave: You seem a little spergy about the rice thing for some reason, but whatever. When you've got a good and proper seasoning on the thing, you can very well do a fried rice dealie in there. Now please stop being wrong about everything. Eat the eggs. <3

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
French style cast iron fry pans are where it's at.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

French style cast iron fry pans are where it's at.
Long-rear end handles, right? I recall seeing Julia Child using them all the time, but haven't seen them too much in stores and whatnot.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

dino. posted:

My major issue with cast iron (aside from the time it takes to get that glassy, mirror finish nonstick on it) is that idiotic nubbins of a handle.

Mine has a normal handle, I think?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mine has a normal handle, I think?

It's really small and annoying for anyone used to normal pans, Broseph. Even on the basic Vollrath pans, you have a long handle that extends a fair bit away from the hot metal pain waiting atop the stove. That handle for the cast iron isn't really friendly to pick up and use the thing. I mean, it's OK that it gets hot. I can fold a towel and figure it out. It's the rest of the issues with tiny T-Rex arms on things that annoy me.

They look like this, Broseph: http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-7-9-Inch/dp/B00462QP0C/

dino. fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Marv Albert posted:

I would take a look at this one http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-KAB4-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0009JXYQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383144744&sr=8-2&keywords=banjo+burner

I use it for brewing and it's been great. You can get extendable legs for it too if you don't want to hunch down.

• Locked thread