Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

noirstronaut posted:

Fennekin and its evolutions are practically every major stage in Beyonce's career.

If ya liked it then you shoulda put a Mega Ring on it

Fibby Boy posted:

Oi, gently caress you. Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape are all great. :colbert: How can you not like a starter who's fire tail is powered by farts?

Infernape is garbage. Monkey Pokemon are garbage :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

If ya liked it then you shoulda put a Mega Ring on it

I'll give you the Panpour/sage/sear line being garbage, but don't talk poo poo about the Chimchar/Mankey line.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just throwing my 2cents but I think the hacking thing is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I think it's good because if I miss a event because of something going on out of my hands it feels like absolute poo poo knowing "well guess I'll never get that pokemon" or if it's frankly just flat out impossible (I love Mew but man those things are impossible). I'm the turbonerd in the story who likes filling in the pokedex.

I don't like it because with it; Shiny pokemon lose all "woah that's cool!" feeling about them to me. I've still never gotten a shiny (32 boxes of honedge/gastly/goomy and not a single one :suicide: ) but with how common they'd be otherwise it just... feels meh when I see one used because the person just hacked it in.

I also don't like knowing that [x is challenging you to a fight] is a dice roll on if it's some dude who just hacked in a bunch of insane murder monsters or if it's some other guys team. I'm not a expert breeder and I find competitive pokemon somewhat fun to watch time to time but knowing my team doesn't stand a chance right out the gate already makes it a feature I'm likely to ignore in the future.

And finally the mystery of the game. Likely we'll know the 3 event pokemon or whatever in a unglorious photodump or know what the strange item does not because someone figured it out or there was build up, but because someone dug through the files and hey; spoiler there's nothing go home.

Of course this is just my initial thoughts to the news and not like I actually know what's capable of happening but kneejerk reaction v:v:v

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

One thing I REALLY don't get is hacking for shinies though. What's the point? I like to view shinies as a pleasant surprise. Most of them have goofy color schemes that look worse than the original anyways. Seeing one is neat since they are rare, but making them super common would reduce them to ugly reskins.
Some people really like the look of certain shinies(see: Charizard, Rayquaza, Rapidash, Aegislash, pretty much anything whose shiny doesn't have a terrible color scheme), and shiny color schemes have gotten slightly better in recent gen Pokemon. I don't understand those people who make blatantly hacked all-shiny teams either, but it's not that mystifying that some people might want the shiny of a specific Pokemon and not want to leave it up to chance.

On the flip side, it's hilarious seeing people on other sites get their panties in a bunch because :byodood: YOU'RE LOWING THE VALUE OF SHINIES :byodood: in response to people not wanting to leave shiny Pokemon up to a slim chance. Putting it that way is actually an understatement - some people get really loving pissed off that you cheated to get a shiny. People hacking in shinies doesn't make your legitimately-obtained shinies less cool, the way I see it, but try telling them that. (Of course, non-goon Pokemon fans tend to get really loving pissed off at trivial poo poo all the time, so it's not like that's hard to do)

quote:

As far as online goes, I'm just worried I'll be playing against a bunch of :effort: teams of max IV/good nature shiny legendaries that are boring and dull. I don't know how prevalent that will be though.
Random online battles already have you facing a bunch of :spergin: terms full of competitive battling juggernauts & :effort: teams full of Legendaries & Mega Evolutions, so it's not really going to be that much different. :v: That's probably half the reason I can't bring myself to care about hacking; random battles are full of terrible people anyway, and you can ask about hacked Pokemon in battles against people you know. (The other half is that I'm not one of those people who enjoys the tedious busywork of breeding up a solid team, but that's never effected anything in my playthroughs but the Battle Towers/Subway/Maison anyway. Those are bullshit enough even with a perfect IV/nature/moveset team.)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 27, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macaluso posted:

:hf: Monkey pokemon just look so dumb.

And pig pokemon? Well.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Wow, I just ran into and caught my first shiny in any Pokemon game ever! It is a shiny Lickitung and the orange color looks pretty cool!

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
So I've been working on a team I'm planning to take into Singles/Rotation. What do You guys think of it?

Adamant Gale Wings TalonFlame
Adamant Technician Scizor
Timid Infiltrator Noivern
Adamant Huge Power Azumarill
Modest Rotom-W
Aegislash

Mostly I want to outspeed and take out anyone who can damage Azumarill before it can Belly Drum/Aqua Jet its way to victory. But I am unsure how much I want Aegislash there but I can't think of others to replace it. I'm hoping for some suggestions on team manegment.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I think I'm prepared for the looker missions :c00l:

(I've spent more money on video game dressup than anything else in this stupid game. My wallet is doomed if they ever release more clothes as DLC.)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Modest is definitely the best Nature for a Dragalge, right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is Espurr the best pet-themed pokemon? I mean, yeah it stand on two legs, but its face is the most cat like of any other cat pokemon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gensuki posted:

Is Espurr the best pet-themed pokemon? I mean, yeah it stand on two legs, but its face is the most cat like of any other cat pokemon.

All the cat Pokemon (well, their basic stages anyway) stand on two legs now, so that's not really a good basis for comparison. :v:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Gensuki posted:

I think it looks more like a creepy ragdoll than a cat.

That being said, it's one of my favorite designs. I like that in Pokemon-amie, its expression never changes, no matter how happy or sad you make it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Um, talking Meowth from the cartoon (with the english voice) is the best pet themed/cat Pokemon :colbert:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

I think it looks more like a creepy ragdoll than a cat.

That being said, it's one of my favorite designs. I like that in Pokemon-amie, its expression never changes, no matter how happy or sad you make it.

Pet its ears :3:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Modest is definitely the best Nature for a Dragalge, right?

Not really. Dragalge's special attack is kinda bad, and a boosting nature isn't going to do much to help it, especially since you can't get it with Adaptability yet. I'd recommend going with Calm, make its already pretty good special defense go even higher so you can try to stall things out for poison damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Strange Quark posted:

All the cat Pokemon (well, their basic stages anyway) stand on two legs now, so that's not really a good basis for comparison. :v:

Glameow is so disturbing in XY.

It really was not designed to do that :gonk:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Um, talking Meowth from the cartoon (with the english voice) is the best pet themed/cat Pokemon :colbert:

Especially once you realize how/why he learned to talk :smithicide:

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

The White Dragon posted:

And pig pokemon? Well.
What about Mankey, the pig monkey? :v:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Graviija posted:

Can anyone recommend a good electric and/or plant pokemon that can learn Cut? I just beat the Mega Evolution girl, for reference to the area I'm in.

I have a Simisage who has Cut right now and doubles as my water type counter, but it doesn't seem like he's learned a plant move in forever. Vine whip only goes so far at level 36.

Heliopltile can learn Cut.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I'm going to be honest, Pokemon Aime has probably gotten me to catch more Pokemon this time around then I ever have previously, because now I literally don't care if they have crappy stats or if I've caught one in every game previous, I just want to pet them.

You. I like you.

But yeah, I'm catching everything pretty much so I can pet it. I have a box labeled "To be pet" since I've been sidetracked with this torchic thing.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Strange Quark posted:

Skitty.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

And pig pokemon? Well.

That's because apes are godawful stupid ugly animals who just weren't good enough to be humans and deserve nothing short of incineration.

Gen 4 starters are still OK in my eyes though because Empoleon is awesome.

TheEggsBenedict posted:

What about Mankey, the pig monkey? :v:

Primeape gets a pass, he's pretty dope.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

LAY-ZX posted:

Not really. Dragalge's special attack is kinda bad, and a boosting nature isn't going to do much to help it, especially since you can't get it with Adaptability yet. I'd recommend going with Calm, make its already pretty good special defense go even higher so you can try to stall things out for poison damage.

Its special attack is 97 and is its second-highest stat.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Americans are the worst Wonder Traders. As soon as I see that a trainer is American, I groan because I know a worthless Simisage is headed my way.

I'm an American, to boot. :cry:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a list of TM locations yet? I'm missing a bunch of them and finding info on where they are isn't easy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a list of TM locations yet? I'm missing a bunch of them and finding info on where they are isn't easy.

http://serebii.net/xy/tmhm.shtml

Sadly it's only the area that it's located it. Nothing about where they are, or what HMs you need to reach them.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mm... hmmm. A team of all-shiny Pokemon that won via a non-Mega Mawile that was faster than my entire team, Mega Gengar included.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

E: In fact, an astonishing amount of complete and utter horseshit on online fighting! Enemies that mysteriously never suffer from status effects while you're constantly crippled by them, enemies mysteriously landing crit after crit while you'll never see any, and teams with stats that could not possibly loving exist.

Well, it's been a good two weeks or so. Time to reign it in and stop playing!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ChibiSoma posted:

Mm... hmmm. A team of all-shiny Pokemon that won via a non-Mega Mawile that was faster than my entire team, Mega Gengar included.

Fun Fact! Mega-Gengar doesn't get the boosted Speed the turn you pop the mega form! This is also true of Mega-Banette's prankster :smith:

If he had boosted it's speed it's entirely likely!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Might that have been a Zoroark?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Battle Institute is pretty crazy. First time my round 5 was a Virizion and then an Articuno with Mind Reader/Sheer Cold (I didn't get to find out the third). Second time was a Vaporeon who insisted on water pulsing my water absorb Lapras, a Poliwrath spamming Focus Punch despite my poking him, and somebody who was such a pushover I can't even recall.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ChibiSoma posted:

Just to be sure, that Mawile wasn't using Sucker Punch, was it?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zoran posted:

Its special attack is 97 and is its second-highest stat.

Wow it so is. I read it as 79.

Okay yeah Modest is probably pretty good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoran posted:

That was probably it, yeah.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zoran posted:

Nope. Play Rough. Sucker Punch I could've at least understood. This was an attack that had no business OHKOing my EV trained death machine. :mad:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Shinies have strategic importance in that the animation upon switching in takes just enough time to help you stall out your opponent and win via time out.

:goonsay:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope. Play Rough. Sucker Punch I could've at least understood. This was an attack that had no business OHKOing my EV trained death machine. :mad:

STAB+Base 90 power+Base 105 Attack+Huge Power man. Gengar is a wet paper bag that only survives due to being fast as hell. You had every right to be OHKO'd.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Americans are the worst Wonder Traders. As soon as I see that a trainer is American, I groan because I know a worthless Simisage is headed my way.

I'm an American, to boot. :cry:

Wait, you don't use WT as a way to exchange all your breeding fodder for Pokémile points?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

STAB+Base 90 power+Base 105 Attack+Huge Power man. Gengar is a wet paper bag that only survives due to being fast as hell. You had every right to be OHKO'd.
Mawile only has Huge Power while it's a mega.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dastardly posted:

Wait, you don't use WT as a way to exchange all your breeding fodder for Pokémile points?

Breed monsters. Send rejects across the internet for Pokemiles. Spend Pokemiles on nothing. That's the American way. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Mawile only has Huge Power while it's a mega.

I read his post as Mega not non-mega.

Also no one worry too much about Chibisoma's issues with the online play. Given history he's probably just had some bad luck and decided to vent about it here and things probably weren't as BS as he's implying.

• Locked thread