Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Turns out all I had to do was restart my client. Frame rate is better now too. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

MondayHotDog posted:

The second: I made it to Eveningstar, but I hear you need 125 PDK favor to be able to teleport there. Until I get that much, I have to run through the Beyond the Rift quest again every time I want to go there? I bound in the inn so for now I can do /death, but then I can't bind anywhere else.
Yep, it's not too hard to get 125 PDK favor really - about 3/4ths through the MoTU quests, a handful on hard is when I got it I think? You can also buy permanent ports in the DDO store (which tbh, I would consider if I didn't have teleport scroll usage or the teleport clickie*).

*I got TWO of the teleport clickies (and one of the raise dead) running Restless Isles stuff for favor recently all in a row. After years of occasional farming with no luck. What the hell? Either they raised the drop rate, no one at all is farming this, or I used up my luck forever.

Annoying thing in DDO that will save you so much lag/load time and increase performance #1:
Awesomium. This process (tied to the DDO store) lags most computers like crazy and killing this (manually or with a shortcut) after logging in your character reduces a lot of lag issues (but the DDO store will not work). Whenever you restart the client or change characters it will load up seven (!) instances of awesomium.exe again, so you need to kill them all again. I made a shortcut and run it every time I log in a character: 'taskkill.exe /f /im awesomiumprocess.exe' Turbine is still "looking into lag issues" ;)

DDO's client (really all Turbine games) also has memory leak issues that come and go - every time you log in a character it gets worse, so restarts help for sure.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Noricae posted:

Yep, it's not too hard to get 125 PDK favor really - about 3/4ths through the MoTU quests, a handful on hard is when I got it I think? You can also buy permanent ports in the DDO store (which tbh, I would consider if I didn't have teleport scroll usage or the teleport clickie*).

You can get it before you hit even hit epic levels now. The Wheelon quests are all PDK too. You can get enough PDK favor to upgrade items just by doing pre-epic stuff on Elite and post epic stuff on Hard.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Storm Horns is awesome and the quests there are awesome. Though gently caress the end fight of What Goes Up, it's super obtuse.

Also hooray for being level 20. Decided to do the 18 cleric/2 monk thing, it's so awesome having access to full Angel for me and Dreadnaught for Valisti.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 26, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
How do I unlock the UI so I can drag my character portrait and target windows somewhere else? I've been looking for half an hour and I'm raging pretty hard at the unintuitive interface.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

How do I unlock the UI so I can drag my character portrait and target windows somewhere else? I've been looking for half an hour and I'm raging pretty hard at the unintuitive interface.

There's nothing to unlock. Those windows are always draggable. Put your mouse near the top of the windows, and it should turn plus shaped, then you can drag it. If you can't, sounds like you found a bug.

You can lock/unlock the hotbars with ctrl-=, but that doesn't affect those windows.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Have any of you managed a successful dragon? Did a few today with 90sec+ lag. And what's with dead people still getting kicked out of dragon?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Noricae posted:

Have any of you managed a successful dragon? Did a few today with 90sec+ lag. And what's with dead people still getting kicked out of dragon?

I did VoN 5&6 a few days ago with no problems. Or are you talking about a specific one?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh! Yeah the Mabar one, hah :) Everywhere else seems to be a-ok.

Woden
May 6, 2006
5/6 so far with Mabar, only failed one on the preview. Lag has been mostly manageable on Cannith.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
3/5, failed twice due to massive lag. All sorts of urban rumours flying around about what causes the lag.

- Popular theory is that certain instances (namely i2049 and i2050) are bugged, but I've successfully completed on i2050 just now without lag, so I don't think it's that
- Using mass invis to make the altars in each room invisible is another theory. No idea if this is true or not, I've certainly experienced massive lag with invisible altars, but it's not a problem until mobs show up. At any rate, making the altars invisible is entirely unnecessary. I duo'd a room with just an artificer, and we held it easily, but the altar did take an occasional hit from gargoyles.
- Disco balls are supposedly a really loving bad idea. I don't know that the gargoyles are even vulnerable to them, but again, completely unnecessary unless you're trying to solo a room.

As for general strategy, you can complete the encounter with less than 16 people in the instance - if everyone is up to snuff, you'd really only need 12 (2 per altar, 1 per lever), although naturally with more people it goes quicker as the dragon dies sooner.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Spamming the levers is another theory, had crippling lag in one run but it cleared up when our lever puller ran off to rez people. So can maybe see that.

One thing about lag in general though is that if someone has a bad connection in your group(probably instance too) it can ruin things for everyone. Back in the day someone DCing in a raid meant no one would get heals at all, they fixed it partly so that doesn't happen but they can still lag things up pretty bad. There's one dude on Cannith who's a good player but just has poo poo a internet connection, so doing EEs with him can get hilariously bad especially in quests like What Goes Up. poo poo like Mabar with its spiky net usage is probably the worst for people like him and anyone in his group/instance.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Also, if you're at all interested in farming motes for items, go in to Delera's solo. You will get so many more turn ins than you will with a group. From what I can tell, the drop rate is per group, split among members, so if you're solo, you get everything, but if you're in a group, you get the same number of items from the same kills, but split amongst all members in a random fashion. You can get 2-3 items per minute solo, at a minimum, but good luck getting that many in a raid group in even 5 minutes.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I don't know :( Two of my three failed (one I died in from lag, one just failed also due to lag) and both only had gargoyles spawning twice, when the dragon was in the room, so people were on the ball. Or well, as far as I could tell since I had 90sec+ lag! The altars were invis in all rooms, so unless some of the other altars kept spawning tons it doesn't seem related. All three groups I was in (altar) lacked wizards, and all three had blade barriers (myself + a cleric) as the only spells and lots of melee. So particle effects were pretty low. Fog and dancing ball HAS added lag in previous years but there is something very very odd going on this time around.

The lag for the two instances that lagged horribly for me started when the dragon hit the room, and not before, so maybe it's a new(er) bug with a certain skill hitting the dragon? Maybe an epic skill. Have any of you lagged in under 20 instances?

Hehe, yeah my favorite thing to do is manage to keep a high number Delera's instance alive from peak times so no one else enters there, and then have my bf's account stand there spawning more stuff for me to kill. Groups still suck bigtime in there.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 27, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Noricae posted:

Have any of you lagged in under 20 instances?

Yes. First dragon we did was totally lagless, last one we did was super bad in the 16-19 or whatever.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Sounds like good old reliable Turbine network engineering then :/ My one successful run just happened (at midnight PST) so it's going to be load related. Or probably load + some infinite AI loop they managed to leave in somewhere.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

eth0.n posted:

There's nothing to unlock. Those windows are always draggable. Put your mouse near the top of the windows, and it should turn plus shaped, then you can drag it. If you can't, sounds like you found a bug.

You can lock/unlock the hotbars with ctrl-=, but that doesn't affect those windows.
Thanks. That explains the frustration.

I'm looking for a simple build for a caster Druid. I've never played one before but my friend is wanting to give it a shot and I don't know what to say. They like the idea of shapeshifting but prefer to just focus on spellcasting. Multiclassing might be a bit confusing but I'll take a small split build if it's needed. I trust that Druids can handle being mainly casters just fine, yeah?

This won't be a hardcore raiding life, just an intro to the game and a "play what looks fun" kind of build. 28 points.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2013

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Thanks. That explains the frustration.

I'm looking for a simple build for a caster Druid. I've never played one before but my friend is wanting to give it a shot and I don't know what to say. They like the idea of shapeshifting but prefer to just focus on spellcasting. Multiclassing might be a bit confusing but I'll take a small split build if it's needed. I trust that Druids can handle being mainly casters just fine, yeah?

This won't be a hardcore raiding life, just an intro to the game and a "play what looks fun" kind of build. 28 points.

Max wisdom and con, grab the usual meta-magics, do evocation/conjuration foci.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Don't have the time/ability to make a full build right now but I'd go human and do 18 Wisdom, 14 con and int and then get some strength and dex. Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft, UMD. Maximize and Empower early on for empowering the SLAs (which are not super awesome if I remember right but mana management is harder when you're new so they're important). Also Empower Healing. Spell Focus Evocation would be good after that and then heighten in the teens probably.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the advice. Can I treat it like a wiz/sorc just with less SP? Are there melee considerations or can druids cast nearly constantly?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Woo, a few more failed Mabars for me. It looks like gargoyle AI or spawn issues. They kept coming in my last room even without the levers ever being pulled (no central light).

My caster druid I basically treated like a wizard with a different main stat and spells, yep. She's only 14 but it plays similarly, with different buffs, a sort of useless pet, and spells that are not that group friendly (earthquake).

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Edit: I can't use the DDO UI. Uguu.

VV That was my problem. I didn't notice the little arrow indicating I could scroll. D'oh.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 28, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
You should be able to pick from all trees - did you scroll over? There are extra enhancement trees to the right that are hidden.

edit: I say this because I asked people where the hell my bard's trees were because only barb and rogue showed up, haha.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 28, 2013

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Someone log in and play with me :getin:

edit: level 17 hoorj

Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 28, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

quote:

The Mabar Festival of Endless Night will be concluding earlier than previously announced. The festival will be available until October 31st, ending early on the morning of November 1st.

We are currently investigating performance issues with the festival, and will be working to improve the festival in the future, including addressing many of your "lag"-related concerns. We appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Guess we better hurry up and get that third run in for a tome. I get why they're doing it, but still sucks.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Ouch, and I just ran one that took 2 keys (had to buy one from the store because it was an alt and all keys elsewhere even!) and didn't award me a signet. Two scales, no signet :( (No, not in bag, just not there). Blah. They have more issues than lag. I've lost four double-taken keys over the weekend.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have to say gently caress this event, +5 tome or not. I'm just going to not bother with it. The farming is very tedious and not fun in any way.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah we haven't been farming this time at all. The level 24 poo poo isn't really worth the effort and we've got our level 20 robes which are not as uber as they were back when we got them. Keys don't take too long to farm for, or you can buy them for 50 TP, so we've just been waiting for the doors to open and hitting up the dragon and then ignoring the event. It's really way too grindy and terribly designed.

Honestly all their events are kind of odd. They're completely different than the way the rest of the game plays, which is cool in some ways, but in the case of Mabar it's a small taste of what DDO would be like if it was a normal MMO, and it's not fun. The Winter stuff at least has you doing silly things and the rewards are not super important. Cove's opening mechanic is closer to that normal MMO grind, but the actual event was cool new tech at one point and is at least group objective based content. The Mabar raid is just terrible in every way.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 29, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

ded posted:

I have to say gently caress this event, +5 tome or not. I'm just going to not bother with it. The farming is very tedious and not fun in any way.
Yeah, this is really the best attitude. I haven't farmed at all either, just done instances, but it's particularly bad this time around even if you liked the event before. If you want anything, buy the motes for it if you need and buy keys and run the dragon, at best.

So apparently the timer for signets resets at 8pm EST? Not 3am or 6am est like everything else in the game?

I loved Crystal Cove, and that's a pretty unique mechanism that they need to add more to (especially maps and rewards), but Mabar is very much standard MMO crap in my DDO - great way of putting it :/

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Noricae posted:

So apparently the timer for signets resets at 8pm EST? Not 3am or 6am est like everything else in the game?

Correct, 8pm eastern, midnight UTC. Same time daily challenge tokens reset.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Correct, 8pm eastern, midnight UTC. Same time daily challenge tokens reset.
Aha! Ok, I was wondering what timer it was on. Thanks :)

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Honestly all their events are kind of odd.
Guessing Mabar is their attempt to have raids with more than 12 people, if they ever get the kinks out I'd expect a 16-32 person raid, quest or the like to come out. They got Cove working reliably and so released the Challenge pack for people that dig herding kobolds. Rissia makes no sense to me though, just seems like a scam to get people to buy skates but then I haven't touched it since it launched so maybe it's changed.

Really wish you could do raids on casual right about now, sitting 19 FoT completions and would love to TR to grab another tome but everyone wants to do it on hard or elite instead of easymoding normal. And to do hard/elite you need non terrible people.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

Guessing Mabar is their attempt to have raids with more than 12 people, if they ever get the kinks out I'd expect a 16-32 person raid, quest or the like to come out.

I really hope it never gets ironed out then. Adding multi-group raids in the first place was a bad idea. They could have made all the raids in the game one groupable and otherwise kept them more or less the same, and it'd be better for it.

On the good news front:

quote:

• Sagas are not involved in any way. Commendations of Valor won’t be obtainable from Sagas.
  • Commendations of Valor show up in the end reward lists of quests.
  • Commendations show up if:
    • The quest was run on any Epic difficulty, except for Casual.
    • You did not have an XP ransack penalty when completing the quest.
  • For an example, we currently expect a level 26 Epic Hard quest to include 30 Commendations of Valor in the end reward list. The same quest on Normal would reward 18 Commendations, and on Elite it would reward 44 Commendations.
  • Our current plan is that Iconic and Epic Hearts of Wood each require 4200 Commendations of Valor. This is close to our estimate of how many Commendations of Valor you would get from playing Epic Hard, non-ransacked quests and usually taking Commendations as the end reward, based on how many quests characters would finish between levels 20-28 (again, on Epic Hard).
  • Commendations of Valor are planned to be Bind-to-Character.
  • Hearts of Wood earned from Commendations of Valor are Bind-to-Account.
  • We are adding some additional rewards for Commendations of Valor, specifically for players who may not be interested in reincarnation.
  • Yes, that's the thinking behind these numbers. Running on Epic Hard can earn you a heart for free on each Epic Reincarnation cycle. If you level entirely up on Epic Elite, you'll have your heart before you are level 28.

Can also buy for 35-40 CoV: +2 insight to all stats for 10 minutes potion, 25 universal spellpower 10 minutes, +2 alchemical attack/damage for 10 minutes

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 29, 2013

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
The "no XP ransack" requirement is harsh. You'd have to increase your time-to-cap significantly to avoid doing runs that don't give commendations, and fit with their expectation that leveling on Epic Hard will be sufficient to get an epic heart.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

How so? You can do the quest on Hard, then Normal, and then once more on the difficulty of your choice before you have any sort of ransack penalty while getting CoVs. Can do Causal for experience if you really want too. And generally speaking if you're running on Epic Hard, you're not repeating quests until around 25 if then (taking Saga experience rewards). And given that your ransack penalty goes away 18 hours after your last completion, by the time you need to start repeating quests the quests you did earlier on are ready for running again and by the time you're done with those, the latest quests you've done are ready for running again. And since both Hard and Normal give CoVs, by this point you've probably already got your heart or close to it.

And of course if you're capable of running it on EE at any point then you'll have more than enough CoVs to get your heart before you've leveled up and be free to do Hard/Normal for more CoVs without incurring ransack.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
I guess I'm too used to doing things the old way, of repeating the best XP quests. Also haven't leveled since Saga rewards came out.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sagas are loving great for 17-20~. This life we skipped all of: Shavarath, House C, Inspired Quarter, Dreaming Dark, Reavers Refuge, Reign of Madness and probably more, by just focusing on doing the two Forgotten Realms Heroic Sagas. Drink a +50% experience potion we had laying around before turning them in and they were worth 300k~ which is enough to do 19-20 under U20 by itself.

Hope they continue to add more Sagas, I'd love to have a good excuse to do some of the stuff we skipped (Reign of Madness), but there's not much reason to when the newer stuff (than especially Reavers, Shavarath, and House C) is better done, more interesting, and more rewarding.

In general we've avoided doing the repeat best experience quests thing since Bravery Bonus + Learning tomes came in. There's been times to keep running poo poo in the ground and it's hard to give up doing 4-5 Shadow Crypts or Litany still, but overall it's so much more fun and nearly as rewarding (worst case) to just hit all the quests you enjoy each level and only repeat if you have to.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 29, 2013

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
This is a fantastic change, I really appreciate sagas, but the idea that if I wanted to IR/ER I absolutely had to grind x sagas, and that if I had a tome reward in the list that I wanted then I would have to sacrifice the CoV's was really disheartening.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I LOVE the Reign of Madness content (and want more Xoriat stuff) and would love to have a saga added for those sets of quests. I probably have items to farm there as well (r.i.p. no ML rings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
30 per EH run means about 140 quests per heart, that still seems like a ton of busywork. I already have hundreds of tokens of the twelves just from farming old epics, with this 4.2k business I'll probably have over 100k in a year or 3 which would be a giant PITA.

Pretty interesting that they got rid of epic quest timers but to get the most out of epic quests you'll still have to just do them once daily, also curious if you can ransack a quest and still get CoVs or if they're tied to loot as well as XP ransack.

And I have mixed feeling about sagas, already got basically all the tomes I need so now it's just XP while leveling. Once I hit cap they're 100% useless, would have been nice if there was something consumable to grab from them at cap. They were great when they first came out as people were finally running odd content like Belly of the Beast and on EE no less, but over time those quests will be ghosts towns again.

• Locked thread