Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god I agree with fishmech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brave New World posted:

How is this discussion about dry counties in hick states germane to the big picture?

Well when you define "hick states" as all but about five of them I can see why they would matter in the big picture.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

computer parts posted:

Well when you define "hick states" as all but about five of them I can see why they would matter in the big picture.
also the hick counties here in CO have all banned retail sales already, so I anticipate the same thing elsewhere.

reminder that non-hick states are just non-hick cities surrounded by hick counties

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
On a whole I'd say Washington and Colorado are extremely hick. Washington probably more than Colorado judging by my experiences in eastern WA.

Hicks like to get stoned, too. Religious hicks, now.... that's another thing altogether.

But hell, we're almost at half of the states in the country having some form of mmj or legalization. It's inevitable. If Mississippi or Florida or whatever doesn't want to legalize (which I wouldn't be surprised by at all), I really couldn't care. Those places are so economically depressed, or otherwise lovely, that no sensible person wants to visit them anyway.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

On a whole I'd say Washington and Colorado are extremely hick. Washington probably more than Colorado judging by my experiences in eastern WA.

Is eastern WA the only part you've been to? The state doesn't really listen to the people east of the Cascades.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is eastern WA the only part you've been to? The state doesn't really listen to the people east of the Cascades.

Isn't that because that's like 20% of the population?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hicks like to get stoned, too. Religious hicks, now.... that's another thing altogether.

But hell, we're almost at half of the states in the country having some form of mmj or legalization. It's inevitable. If Mississippi or Florida or whatever doesn't want to legalize (which I wouldn't be surprised by at all), I really couldn't care. Those places are so economically depressed, or otherwise lovely, that no sensible person wants to visit them anyway.

As a Florida resident, I blame The northern portion of Florida which is also the most conservative. The major political base sits inside there and is pretty much at the opposite end of the state where the most cash flows (and where most of the crazy poo poo in this state goes down). Given that Miami is a major port, that would definitely factor into decision making about marijuana and other drugs (for good and for bad).

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Actually it doesn't listen to people outside of King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties, in general. In determining whether or not Washington is a "hick state" (it is), it'd be more useful to find a more polarizing measure than legalizing weed.

It's not as cut and dry as "Washington isn't filled with hicks," so much as the vast majority of the voting population resides in Snohomish, King, Pierce, Thurston and Kitsap counties.

numbers: http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/politics/2012-washington-election-results.html

Has there been any news on whether Washington is still on track for December 6th? I keep waiting to hear bad news.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

krispykremessuck posted:

Has there been any news on whether Washington is still on track for December 6th? I keep waiting to hear bad news.

The liquor control board accepted the rules a couple weeks ago. I think they start accepting permits sometime in November, and expect stores to open up in May or June.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrPlump posted:

There is thousands of different cannabinoids in each plant some of which exist in minuscule amounts compared to others. It is possible by isolating several of lesser known cannabinoids that appear in lower content you could create a mixture that has an entirely different and never before seen effects. A lot of the lower concentration cannabinoids may never actually get a chance to "work" on the body when ingested with others as the brains recepters may already be full of higher concentration cannabinoids.

This sounds a lot like what is happening with synthetic cannabinoids in a sense. In the same vein it's also opening up potentially new effects and side effects so compounds which may have previously been consumed in miniscule amounts. Cannabis is somewhat interesting here because it's a plant not a drug, per se

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

DrPlump posted:

This is an interesting point because up until now "strains" have all been about what is produced naturally. If a company grows and isolates every cannabinoid it opens up an entirely untapped psychedelic market for non-natural mixtures of each cannabinioid.

There is thousands of different cannabinoids in each plant some of which exist in minuscule amounts compared to others. It is possible by isolating several of lesser known cannabinoids that appear in lower content you could create a mixture that has an entirely different and never before seen effects. A lot of the lower concentration cannabinoids may never actually get a chance to "work" on the body when ingested with others as the brains recepters may already be full of higher concentration cannabinoids.

Cannabinoid/terpenoid synergism is a very interesting area of pharmacology. There are probably only half a dozen people on the planet qualified to talk about it. Here's one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2011.01238.x/pdf

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

KingEup posted:

Cannabinoid/terpenoid synergism is a very interesting area of pharmacology. There are probably only half a dozen people on the planet qualified to talk about it. Here's one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2011.01238.x/pdf

Thanks for this! It's honestly pretty amazing given how far we've come in other areas of science/pharmacology that we still basically only know "THC makes you high, these other compounds may have other effects."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Who gives a poo poo about dry counties?

The goal of legalizing/ending prohibition is not just so you can smoke weed erryday and do it cheaper and better than ever before, it's also about keeping the police from arresting thousands and thousands of people over drug possession. That's the key thing here, not every state has to sell it, but every state needs to stop incarcerating for it.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

quote:

The bad news:

The state wants medical dispensaries and people who grow a plant in their back yard shut down, since they can't tax those things.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Washington-state-agencies-recommend-reining-in-medical-pot-228704151.html

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for this! It's honestly pretty amazing given how far we've come in other areas of science/pharmacology that we still basically only know "THC makes you high, these other compounds may have other effects."

This is what keeping a drug illegal does to research

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That's the key thing here, not every state has to sell it, but every state needs to stop incarcerating for it.

States can make up their own drug laws. If Mississippi wants to ban weed and keep arresting users even though it's legal federally they can do that.

It would be unconstitutional for the Federal government to pass a law that barred states from passing a law of their own. The absolute most they could do is tie some funding to decriminalization, and you'd be crazy to think that politicians would want to be seen forcing weed on everyone over the objection of voters.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Really? Mississippi I won't argue with you on. But Florida? No sensible person wants to visit there? Tourism is one of the biggest industries in Florida. There's Disney world, Busch gardens, Universal studios, Miami, Key West, and hundreds of miles of beaches. I know people who to to Florida every year for vacations. Now weed tourism? No of course not but prescription pills and Cocaine? Oh you better believe it.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Florida is the classic, love to visit would never want to live there place.

Unless you like strip clubs, cause goddamn there is a lot of loving strip clubs there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Unless you like strip clubs, cause goddamn there is a lot of loving strip clubs there.

Why else would the GOP pick Tampa Bay for their presidential convention?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There are a ton of hick parts of Washington on the west side of the Cascades. Outside of Bellingham and (maybe) Lynden, Whatcom county is pretty hick. Maple Valley area, Enumclaw, the outskirts of Auburn, Covington (at least it used to be). I feel pretty comfortable calling Washington a hick state with a stretch of the I-5 corridor being an exception.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AShamefulDisplay posted:

There are a ton of hick parts of Washington on the west side of the Cascades. Outside of Bellingham and (maybe) Lynden, Whatcom county is pretty hick. Maple Valley area, Enumclaw, the outskirts of Auburn, Covington (at least it used to be). I feel pretty comfortable calling Washington a hick state with a stretch of the I-5 corridor being an exception.

Yeah having red hee haw rural areas is pretty much universal even for solid blue states:

Of course the main population centers are blue, which means the lower population rural counties get easily cancelled out in a presidential race.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Yeah having red hee haw rural areas is pretty much universal even for solid blue states:

Of course the main population centers are blue, which means the lower population rural counties get easily cancelled out in a presidential race.

Just as a reminder most of those blue counties still had at least 40% of the vote go for Romney.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

States can make up their own drug laws. If Mississippi wants to ban weed and keep arresting users even though it's legal federally they can do that.

It would be unconstitutional for the Federal government to pass a law that barred states from passing a law of their own. The absolute most they could do is tie some funding to decriminalization, and you'd be crazy to think that politicians would want to be seen forcing weed on everyone over the objection of voters.

You could make it unconstitutional to arrest/jail citizens of this country for the crime of an altered state of consciousness. A person is not a criminal because they are high/drunk/tweaking, a person is a criminal if and when they perform criminal acts. To arrest somebody for possessing a plant while not arresting somebody who can possess and carry a deadly and possibly concealed weapon is free from harassment.

It's an insane excuse to allow the state to actively violate the rights of its citizens under the guise of law and order and if there's going to be a Federal response to prohibition and the war on drugs, it ought to be something closer to that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You could make it unconstitutional to arrest/jail citizens of this country for the crime of an altered state of consciousness. A person is not a criminal because they are high/drunk/tweaking, a person is a criminal if and when they perform criminal acts. To arrest somebody for possessing a plant while not arresting somebody who can possess and carry a deadly and possibly concealed weapon is free from harassment.

It's an insane excuse to allow the state to actively violate the rights of its citizens under the guise of law and order and if there's going to be a Federal response to prohibition and the war on drugs, it ought to be something closer to that.

Ok, but there's absolutely no chance of that becoming a constitutional amendment any time soon. Plus you're straight up saying drunk driving should no longer be illegal in there, which is dumb as hell.

The best you're going to see is weed stop being illegal on the federal level with maybe other "soft drugs" like LSD joining in as well.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Install Windows posted:

Ok, but there's absolutely no chance of that becoming a constitutional amendment any time soon.
Where did he say anything about a constitutional amendment?

Install Windows posted:

Plus you're straight up saying drunk driving should no longer be illegal in there, which is dumb as hell.
He didn't say that, and you're being obtuse as all hell to pretend that he did.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brave New World posted:

Where did he say anything about a constitutional amendment?

He didn't say that, and you're being obtuse as all hell to pretend that he did.

You can't make something like that unconstitutional without an amendment. Absolutely nothing in the constitution and its current amendments could be construed to support a ruling like that.

He said that, because he said "make it unconstitutional to arrest/jail citizens of this country for the crime of an altered state of consciousness". If you have a drunk state of conciousness before or while driving, that's a dui, that's a crime, and a constitutional change preventing that from being a crime makes drunk driving illegal. You're being obtuse by claiming it isn't.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Install Windows posted:

He said that, because he said "make it unconstitutional to arrest/jail citizens of this country for the crime of an altered state of consciousness". If you have a drunk state of conciousness before or while driving, that's a dui, that's a crime, and a constitutional change preventing that from being a crime makes drunk driving illegal. You're being obtuse by claiming it isn't.

DUI is an offence because it involves acting without reasonable caution and putting another person at risk of injury or death. Just because someone thinks that it should be lawful to alter their state of consciousness however they see fit does not mean they think it should be lawful to act in a negligent way i.e. drive whilst intoxicated.

Is 'nitwit' an expression you're familiar with?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 27, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Isn't this effectively the case already? 'Being high' is not a crime in and of itself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TACD posted:

Isn't this effectively the case already? 'Being high' is not a crime in and of itself.

There are public intoxication laws but they're usually written like this:

quote:

A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

In Texas at least there's also a clause covering future drug legalization:

quote:

In a prosecution under Section 49.03, 49.04, 49.045, 49.05, 49.06, 49.065, 49.07, or 49.08, the fact that the defendant is or has been entitled to use the alcohol, controlled substance, drug, dangerous drug, or other substance is not a defense.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 27, 2013

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
e: nvm

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

echinopsis posted:

This is what keeping a drug illegal does to research

Oh yeah, I mean I understand why we don't really have any info on it. It's just that as a common pharmaceutical substance from antiquity right through to the 1930s, it's absolutely insane that we don't understand the first thing about any of the other cannabinoids. Just shows how far a little bit of FUD and a few well-placed laws can go in making GBS threads all over the advancement of medicine.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Oh yeah, I mean I understand why we don't really have any info on it. It's just that as a common pharmaceutical substance from antiquity right through to the 1930s, it's absolutely insane that we don't understand the first thing about any of the other cannabinoids. Just shows how far a little bit of FUD and a few well-placed laws can go in making GBS threads all over the advancement of medicine.

Medicos are only just realising this:

quote:

A paper published today in the journal Nature Reviews Neuroscience claims that the UN conventions on drugs in the 1960s and 1970s have not only compounded the harms of drugs but also produced the worst censorship of research for over 300 years. They have set back research in key areas such as consciousness by decades and effectively stopped the investigation of promising medical treatments, the researchers say. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_11-6-2013-10-58-52

quote:

Drugs prohibition is criminals’ gain, neuroscience’s loss http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822%2813%2900835-X?large_figure=true

If this is actually true, and prohibition has retarded medical advancement, who is going to be held accountable? Lying about the harms of cigarettes cost big tobacco roughly $200 billion.

What do you get fined for lying about the benefits of cannabis?

Imagine… what happens the moment that the Federal government admits its’ culpability in failing to use the only real standard – science – in determining the validity of maintaining cannabis prohibition.

Imagine… after that admission, the resulting tsunami of litigation from every person whose life was destroyed by the policy of cannabis prohibition.

This is not idle speculation; you may be assured that such a scenario has been considered by those in power behind the scenes. They know that such an admission is what the forces of prohibition, and the FedGov itself, are terrified of. Millions upon millions of lawsuits, all justly claiming recompense for lives destroyed by government lies…told by government-sanctioned liars. Who KNEW they were lying. The treasury would be drained in a week…or the currency so debauched that the economic system, already teetering on the knife’s-edge, would come crashing down under the weight of hyper-inflated, worthless currency printed to pay out those lawsuits.

Edit: I've just inadvertantly convinced myself with 99% certainty that the Feds will not reschedule cannabis. This is going to be grass roots State-by-State combat for my lifetime at least.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 27, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingEup posted:

DUI is an offence because it involves acting without reasonable caution and putting another person at risk of injury or death. Just because someone thinks that it should be lawful to alter their state of consciousness however they see fit does not mean they think it should be lawful to act in a negligent way i.e. drive whilst intoxicated.

It's a crime because you're operating with an altered consciousness state under the influence of a drug. Any constitutional change that says having an altered consciousness can never be illegal would on its face say that drunk and intoxicated driving laws can no longer apply.

You couldn't make it negligent when the negligent action (being intoxicated) has been made constitutionally a-ok.

TACD posted:

Yeah if you aren't out somewhere, and if you manage to destroy or conceal any associated drugs or paraphernalia you already can't be arrested just for being high/drunk/whatever.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2013

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Install Windows posted:

It's a crime because you're operating with an altered consciousness state under the influence of a drug. Any constitutional change that says having an altered consciousness can never be illegal would on its face say that drunk and intoxicated driving laws can no longer apply.

You couldn't make it negligent when the negligent action (being intoxicated) has been made constitutionally a-ok.
Drunk driving would be basically no different from shouting fire in a theater, speech is protected by the Constitution, but not speech that endangers people, altered conscious states would be no different.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

Drunk driving would be basically no different from shouting fire in a theater, speech is protected by the Constitution, but not speech that endangers people, altered conscious states would be no different.

Then in effect that new constitutional provision would do nothing to alter the status quo, making it pointless.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Then in effect that new constitutional provision would do nothing to alter the status quo, making it pointless.
What's the point of this post? Maybe the specific wording presented wouldn't alter the status quo (it plainly would because public intoxication laws would fall), but even assuming that's the case it's obvious that we could construct a wording that would alter the status quo. The desired outcome of the proposal is obvious, and since we aren't passing an actual amendment, legal precision isn't helping anything. It looks like this post is just a lame attempt to dodge admitting your post about drunk driving was both dumb and a strawman.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

twodot posted:

What's the point of this post? Maybe the specific wording presented wouldn't alter the status quo (it plainly would because public intoxication laws would fall), but even assuming that's the case it's obvious that we could construct a wording that would alter the status quo. The desired outcome of the proposal is obvious, and since we aren't passing an actual amendment, legal precision isn't helping anything. It looks like this post is just a lame attempt to dodge admitting your post about drunk driving was both dumb and a strawman.

It actually isn't obvious at all that any particular wording would change the status quo by all that much in this case, however. I mean, the First Amendment has consistently failed since not long after its passage to protect all political speech, for example, and that's a lot more straightforward. Some sort of amendment to decriminalize all drugs would be a different story of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

Either the intention is to permanently enshrine the legalness of "altered conciousness" or it does nothing. The thing is that it's already almost never actually against the law to be high, merely against the law to possess the things to make you high, or in some cases against the law to do other things when high. Reading the intent of what he's saying, that we don't do enough to make sure that having altered states of mind is legal, you can only either get:
1) no change at all, yet he implied the he wanted change
2) change by removing things like drunk driving and so on because those are laws specifically about being in an altered state.

Keep in mind I'm specifically objecting to what he said: "You could make it unconstitutional to arrest/jail citizens of this country for the crime of an altered state of consciousness."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Reading the intent of what he's saying, that we don't do enough to make sure that having altered states of mind is legal, you can only either get:
1) no change at all, yet he implied the he wanted change
You realize that I only have to find one public intoxication law that doesn't reference danger to disprove this? It happens to be the case that using marijuana in public in Washington is a fine-able offense, normally I would find a better citation than this, but it's clear you are just attempting a dumb derail to distract from the fact your previous derail was even dumber:
http://lcb.wa.gov/marijuana/faqs_i-502

eSports Chaebol posted:

It actually isn't obvious at all that any particular wording would change the status quo by all that much in this case, however. I mean, the First Amendment has consistently failed since not long after its passage to protect all political speech, for example, and that's a lot more straightforward. Some sort of amendment to decriminalize all drugs would be a different story of course.
"All that much" isn't the standard being applied. "Any change at all" is the standard, and it's absurd to assert that the first amendment has had no effect whatsoever.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

You realize that I only have to find one public intoxication law that doesn't reference danger to disprove this? It happens to be the case that using marijuana in public in Washington is a fine-able offense, normally I would find a better citation than this, but it's clear you are just attempting a dumb derail to distract from the fact your previous derail was even dumber:
http://lcb.wa.gov/marijuana/faqs_i-502

"All that much" isn't the standard being applied. "Any change at all" is the standard, and it's absurd to assert that the first amendment has had no effect whatsoever.

That is using it actively. If you smoked up in your house and went outside still high you wouldn't be.

Well it's sure nice that no one ever claimed the first amendment protected all speech all the time? You're trying to claim I'm derailing when you're pulling that out?

• Locked thread