Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Age of Extinction Autobots they have shown no longer looks like skeletons rolled in broken Christmas decorations.

Grimlock is actually a dinosaur and Optimus looks like an Optimus. :stare:

Could it be that they've started to give a poo poo instead of halfassing poo poo? I mean optimus now has gundam styled booties.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A promo teaser for MP Bumblebee has been shown, the proportions look pretty much perfect going by the sillouette.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I was wondering if rereads with analysis of the current transformers comics in recommended reading order (Death of Optimus onward) might be possible. I can't do it because I'm literature-retarded but I feel there's a ton in MTMTE that I might be missing and I want to discuss it starting from the first issue.

There's some reasons why this could be a good time. Both comics have wrapped up their first major storylines. MTMTE has revealed many of its secrets so there's a lot to see in hindsight. "I Really Like The Transfomers Movies" is done, so maybe the sequel could be "I Really Like The Transfomers Comics" and get people reading them? Or maybe some bss superstar could be roped in to reading them for the first time. I don't know, I'd like a simulreadathon but I sure as gently caress can't lead it.
Man, that would be fantastic. For all my love of movies, I know fuckall about comic books, and it would be great to have someone help me put into words what it is exactly that's so appealing about MTMTE beyond "it's well written??" (and what irks me about RID, for that matter). Is there someone in the thread who could see themselves doing this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm considering walking into the bss chat thread and asking "who among you would you consider to be... the super mecha godzilla of BSS?" and recruiting them. Would keep things spoiler free and maybe if they were good enough they'd be able to spot the earlier hints (and there are so. loving. many early hints about the things revealed recently that make so much sense in hindsight).

One dude has written a really really in-depth analysis of Homestuck, he might be game actually (Yeah I know it's funny to make fun of it but for all the horrible nerds it's associated with, the comic itself is worthy of analysis. I think MTMTE is far better, anyway. MTMTE may not be multimedia but it's far more polished and professional, and the world and characters are more interesting.) I'll see if I can pm him later when I get some other irl poo poo done.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 27, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you're going to do that you have to do all of IDW's stuff because there's tons of callbacks, references and lore built up. Phase sixers, Garrus-9, the Dead Universe, Starscream's relationship with Megatron, Kimia, Perceptor's gun, Drift, Lockdown - Much of MTMTE/RID builds off the older canon in a really satisfying way. I honestly feel like the TF comics do what I wish other universes would do with their continuity. I think I re-read every book in the last five parter a good ten or so times, no Marvel book hits me like that.

On that note I talked someone into giving MTMTE a try this week. That's such a great feeling, I've never had any luck with getting other people to give IDW a shot.

Terry van Feleday posted:

Man, that would be fantastic. For all my love of movies, I know fuckall about comic books, and it would be great to have someone help me put into words what it is exactly that's so appealing about MTMTE beyond "it's well written??" (and what irks me about RID, for that matter). Is there someone in the thread who could see themselves doing this?
You mean something in the composition bothers you or just you can't articulate what you don't like about the plot? I mean it feels to me like RID is a bit too ... I want to say dystopian fiction for it's own good. I realize that's probably not quite the right time, buy anyway - Cybertron is STILL a loving dump, even more so than it was in G1. kinda wears on the eyes to watch the depressing political schemes of Starscream on a big garbage heap.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Spiderdrake posted:

If you're going to do that you have to do all of IDW's stuff because there's tons of callbacks, references and lore built up. Phase sixers, Garrus-9, the Dead Universe, Starscream's relationship with Megatron, Kimia, Perceptor's gun, Drift, Lockdown - Much of MTMTE/RID builds off the older canon in a really satisfying way. I honestly feel like the TF comics do what I wish other universes would do with their continuity. I think I re-read every book in the last five parter a good ten or so times, no Marvel book hits me like that.

On that note I talked someone into giving MTMTE a try this week. That's such a great feeling, I've never had any luck with getting other people to give IDW a shot.

I kind of feel like the James Roberts-penned comics stand on their own and carry their own themes without needing to know the nitty-gritty of what exactly those things are. Sort of like new Dr. Who and Classic Who. RID might be more continuity heavy given there was that entire time-travel issue with Optimus just to sort out a bunch of continuity issues and the D-void has actually been made plot relevant. But Roberts comics are their own thing, by and large, and fill you in well enough when something from a nonrobertsian idw comic is used.

and there's so much past-IDW and so much of it is... not-good. Mostly just mediocre or forgettable, sometimes just dipping into stupid especially with all the DEAD UNIVERSE and other ULTIMATE DESTRUCTIVE THREAT stuff.

And good job, I kind of feel like I'd be more likely to talk someone into watching Madoka loving Magica than a Transformers comic, so having something to point to would be nice. The former is popular and recognized as having depth and NOT based on a toy line. I'd like to have something to point to.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

A promo teaser for MP Bumblebee has been shown, the proportions look pretty much perfect going by the sillouette.

It was fake sadly. Which is extra sad because the same fake news "confirmed" MP Megatron 2.0 :(

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Spiderdrake posted:

You mean something in the composition bothers you or just you can't articulate what you don't like about the plot?
It's probably something in the composition, because I can't put my finger on it at all. It's just, I read it and couldn't connect to anything that's happening and kept getting that feeling of mild annoyance. In the end, Prowlastator was just a little too ridiculous for me to keep going.

I think one factor is the use of War for Cybertron character designs of all things. I haven't played the original WFC, but FOC gives me the impression that it's all this big shallow action movie in which the designs are hi-shiny and dynamic and pretty to look at, but also not terribly expressive or relatable. For a fairly intimate look into characters and politics, that kind of design language is not even remotely appropriate, particularly for a series that relies as much on its designs to communicate personality as Transformers does.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'm considering walking into the bss chat thread and asking "who among you would you consider to be... the super mecha godzilla of BSS?"

It's been a long time since I read the rest of BSS but I'd love to see what Edge and Christian would have to say.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
A THIRD third-party Sixgun has appeared! drat, this guy is the new Predaking.

And he's kinda huge. These guys are going to cost more than Metroplex himself, guaranteed.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

A THIRD third-party Sixgun has appeared! drat, this guy is the new Predaking.

And he's kinda huge. These guys are going to cost more than Metroplex himself, guaranteed.

Now to wait for a white Warpath repaint to be called Slammer.

Also it's impossible to combine Metroplex with any of the 3rd party sixguns and still use all the accessories that come with the standard metroplex.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I know I've said it once already but I really don't understand from where all this Sixshot nonsense came about.

Regarding the comics analysis, I would absolutely read that thread. I've been into MTMTE and RID since their respective runs started. I've also been going back through the Dreamwave comics (I know how some of you feel about them, I just needed a TF comic fix) and have been enjoying reading those and playing with my robots whenever they are relevant.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

I know I've said it once already but I really don't understand from where all this Sixshot nonsense came about.

Regarding the comics analysis, I would absolutely read that thread. I've been into MTMTE and RID since their respective runs started. I've also been going back through the Dreamwave comics (I know how some of you feel about them, I just needed a TF comic fix) and have been enjoying reading those and playing with my robots whenever they are relevant.

*Sixgun. I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Sixgun, Slammer and Scamper... or any of the other lame little guys that came with any of the city bots. They were generally lame little parts-formers that were often just one solid color of plastic with zero painted details that were there so you had something to roll down the ramps if you hadn't already bought some mini-cars. They almost never showed up in anything, and I'm surprised people actually care about them, let alone want to buy one that's Supreme-class. Metroplex, Fort Max, Trypticon and Scorponok were always the main attraction, and those little guys were just cheap freebies.

Now, Sixshot on the other hand, was the first six-changer and one of the coolest toys in the entire G1 line. He mostly appeared in the awful Headmasters anime and had some forgettable comic appearances (mostly in IDW's Devastation series) but he's just a cool rear end toy that's big, looks badass and turns into 6 different things. I kind of see him as the Transformers equivalent to Boba Fett. And surprisingly, there's only been one 3rd party toy of him - Terminus Hexatron, which I own and is fantastic.

I often tell people that if you must own one G1 toy, get a Sixshot. At this year's TFCon, one of my roommates was a big younger than me and wasn't a G1 collector, but saw a reissue MISB for a good price and I told him to go for it. Lo and behold he fell in love with it, and was glad that I told him to get that G1 brick.

Like really, if you're gonna have any G1 toys, the top 10 coolest in my book are:
*Sixshot
*Predaking
*Powermaster Prime (ESPECIALLY if you get God Ginrai \ Apex Armor)
*Ultra Magnus
*Galvatron
*Soundwave (and tapes)
*Megatron
*Fort max
*Jetfire
*Regular Optimus Prime

Honorable mentions go to G2 tank Megatron and G2 Laser Rod Prime, which aren't G1 but close enough.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know if a lot of you guys are hopelessly addicted to TF Kreons like I am, but I just found This and This.

The first one is a preview of a new wave, including Rodimus, Rhinox, and Cyclonus. The second is a preview of the two new combiners: Computron and Menasor.

So, you know, it's neat.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

I don't know if a lot of you guys are hopelessly addicted to TF Kreons like I am, but I just found This and This.

The first one is a preview of a new wave, including Rodimus, Rhinox, and Cyclonus. The second is a preview of the two new combiners: Computron and Menasor.

So, you know, it's neat.

Menasor looks surprisingly cool in Kreon form, and I really want that Rodimus but I have terrible luck with their blind-bags.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

Menasor looks surprisingly cool in Kreon form, and I really want that Rodimus but I have terrible luck with their blind-bags.

Poke around the net when the waves show up, the bags are numbered and a cheat-sheet usually appears online very quickly.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

*Sixgun. I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Sixgun, Slammer and Scamper... or any of the other lame little guys that came with any of the city bots. They were generally lame little parts-formers that were often just one solid color of plastic with zero painted details that were there so you had something to roll down the ramps if you hadn't already bought some mini-cars. They almost never showed up in anything, and I'm surprised people actually care about them, let alone want to buy one that's Supreme-class. Metroplex, Fort Max, Trypticon and Scorponok were always the main attraction, and those little guys were just cheap freebies.

Now, Sixshot on the other hand, was the first six-changer and one of the coolest toys in the entire G1 line. He mostly appeared in the awful Headmasters anime and had some forgettable comic appearances (mostly in IDW's Devastation series) but he's just a cool rear end toy that's big, looks badass and turns into 6 different things. I kind of see him as the Transformers equivalent to Boba Fett. And surprisingly, there's only been one 3rd party toy of him - Terminus Hexatron, which I own and is fantastic.

I often tell people that if you must own one G1 toy, get a Sixshot. At this year's TFCon, one of my roommates was a big younger than me and wasn't a G1 collector, but saw a reissue MISB for a good price and I told him to go for it. Lo and behold he fell in love with it, and was glad that I told him to get that G1 brick.

Like really, if you're gonna have any G1 toys, the top 10 coolest in my book are:
*Sixshot
*Predaking
*Powermaster Prime (ESPECIALLY if you get God Ginrai \ Apex Armor)
*Ultra Magnus
*Galvatron
*Soundwave (and tapes)
*Megatron
*Fort max
*Jetfire
*Regular Optimus Prime

Honorable mentions go to G2 tank Megatron and G2 Laser Rod Prime, which aren't G1 but close enough.
Yup meant Sixgun, thanks for the correction. Still don't understand all the 3rd party love for a gun transformer whose name is anything other than Megatron. I for one will not be buying a 3rd party metroplex add on. I doubt I will even get a metroplex unless one of you goons is crazy enough to send them out for secret Santa.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's a way to make an g1-appropriate add-on pack for the giant metroplex everyone's buying, to make a G1 reference, AND make a third-party robot AT THE SAME TIME. It's a win-win scenario

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

Yup meant Sixgun, thanks for the correction. Still don't understand all the 3rd party love for a gun transformer whose name is anything other than Megatron. I for one will not be buying a 3rd party metroplex add on. I doubt I will even get a metroplex unless one of you goons is crazy enough to send them out for secret Santa.

If you have a Costco membership, he's definitely worth it for $80.

If nothing else, Fort Max and Metroplex are really cool display pieces and people will gravitate towards them the second they enter the room.

Worried that they don't fit on your shelf? No problem! While they may be too big for shelves, they're big and sturdy enough to put on the floor! They're almost like pieces of furniture.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Buy a half dozen Metroplexes and construct ACTUAL furniture out of them!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

The Age of Extinction Autobots they have shown no longer looks like skeletons rolled in broken Christmas decorations.

Grimlock is actually a dinosaur and Optimus looks like an Optimus. :stare:

Could it be that they've started to give a poo poo instead of halfassing poo poo? I mean optimus now has gundam styled booties.
Here I made you something:

link to original

cautiously optimistic

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I think one factor is the use of War for Cybertron character designs of all things. I haven't played the original WFC, but FOC gives me the impression that it's all this big shallow action movie in which the designs are hi-shiny and dynamic and pretty to look at, but also not terribly expressive or relatable. For a fairly intimate look into characters and politics, that kind of design language is not even remotely appropriate, particularly for a series that relies as much on its designs to communicate personality as Transformers does.

I find this paragraph interesting considering your love of the films. I find the movie forms infinitely less relatable, primarily because other than having tires and poo poo attached, the movie forms are so jagged and alien that without those they could literally turn into a pile of knives and it would make more sense. The Cybertronian forms are just like most of IDWs designs, improvements on the G1 Cybertronian forms.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Rage posted:

I find this paragraph interesting considering your love of the films. I find the movie forms infinitely less relatable, primarily because other than having tires and poo poo attached, the movie forms are so jagged and alien that without those they could literally turn into a pile of knives and it would make more sense. The Cybertronian forms are just like most of IDWs designs, improvements on the G1 Cybertronian forms.

Yeah, I would agree with this. I think most of the WfC/FoC designs are the best the characters have looked in years. The only downside to IDW using them is that Starscream sometimes reminds me of the terrible FoC Seeker toy mold.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

The Rage posted:

I find this paragraph interesting considering your love of the films.
The thing about the movie designs is that they're utterly hideous, but they're hideous in a way I feel makes sense in the context of the work itself - it works with the general distant apathy/disgust the cinematography treats them. The WFC designs are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they were also made in the context of a particular work. They're all dynamic angles and aggressive curves and heavy proportions, which works well in the original game but in a dystopian political comic about characters who are constantly out of their mental comfort zone it just feels tone deaf.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Most expensive large toy display:

Metroplex in carrier mode being pulled by the newer dog sized AT-AT while Galactus, Granamyr, and Matty Voltron all ride in the back.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

All I'd need for that would be a Granamyr.

I didn't actually know they made that before you mentioned it. That's pretty awesome. MotU fans have gotten some pretty sweet stuff out of Mattel in recent years.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

BBTS updated their front page saying MakeToys Chaos is arriving soon, so they must have gotten their poo poo together at the factory.

The thing about the movie designs is that they're utterly hideous, but they're hideous in a way I feel makes sense in the context of the work itself - it works with the general distant apathy/disgust the cinematography treats them. The WFC designs are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they were also made in the context of a particular work. They're all dynamic angles and aggressive curves and heavy proportions, which works well in the original game but in a dystopian political comic about characters who are constantly out of their mental comfort zone it just feels tone deaf.

I see the forms as making sense in both cases, because in my interpretation, they're going back to the last forms they had on Cybertron, while not going back to the forms that were unarmored and unweaponized like the Nails because theres still a very real tension between all factions involved. Maybe its just knowing the backstory of a lot of the characters that helps me not need the visual queues of who represents what character archetype. Whereas with the films they have to give you these clues, otherwise you wouldn't know which giant blender looking monster was safe to stand next to.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, I would agree with this. I think most of the WfC/FoC designs are the best the characters have looked in years. The only downside to IDW using them is that Starscream sometimes reminds me of the terrible FoC Seeker toy mold.
While I like parts of that mold - Like individual sections are good, but do not form a good whole - I still don't understand why it needed to be so terrible. Both modes are fat and hollow, all bulging out and weird!

FoC molds in general are kinda wonky though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just want a Rung toy that turns into an ornament.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure the legal department would nix it after the whole Nexus Maximus incident.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Rage posted:

BBTS updated their front page saying MakeToys Chaos is arriving soon, so they must have gotten their poo poo together at the factory.

I choose to believe this happened because I just split up my order at TFSource, and life enjoys taking its little dumps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I picked up DotM Skyhammer loose for $1. He's alright, I guess.

He's so awesome! :D

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Well Holy poo poo my mate unexpectedly brought me back MP Soundwave from Taiwan. When I said how much do you want - "Nothing, it's a gift". My night has been completely made, and the man will not pay for a drink in my presence for a long time to come. gently caress yes. God bless you rich game designer friends who like jetsetting.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

He's so awesome! :D
It's weird how out of place great he is. That unexpectedly Magnus looking head sculpt really sells him as an air commander.

Also: RID this week was really weird and jarring. It's worth reading for the last few pages though, which are really great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The cassettes as Soundwave's talking animal buddies is kind of out of place in how adorable it is. I mean, any panel with Ravage talking to Soundwave and calling him boss is just too much. Good comic, though. Nice to see Soundwave get a personality, though I have a lot of trouble giving him a voice mentally that's capable of full sentences and that can express emotion with tone.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa, big rumor/news over at TFW2005

quote:

Whoa. Hasbro's website has updated this morning with some new listings of upcoming Transformers figures. This took a little sleuthing by 2005 Board members JamesBenjamin and Thundershot. If you go to Hasbro's customer service portion of their website, you can inquire about specific toys within a toyline. The Transformers sections of this reveals to us the following possible upcoming Transformer releases:

Generations Voyager Brainstorm
Generations Voyager Roadbuster
Generations Voyager Skybyte
Generations 30th Leader Jetfire
Generations 30th Leader Megatron
Generations Deluxe Arcee
Generations Deluxe Chromia
Generations Deluxe Hardhead
Generations Deluxe Jhiaxus
Generations Legends Brawn with Mudslinger
Generations Legends Gears with Eagle Eye
Generations Legends Cliffjumper
Generations Legends Gnaw with Gnash
Beast Hunter Deluxe Value Packs (4 of them, most likely Black Friday deals)
TRA Black Hunter Nemesis Prime
TRA Black Skyfire
Blindpacks - Jazz, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Grimlock
Construct Bots Rider Autobot Drift
Construct Bots Rider Bruce
Cosntruct Bots Rider Bumblebee
Construct Bots Rider Lockdown
Cosntruct Bots Rider Duke
Construct Bots Rider Max

Take a lot of these with a grain of salt as Takara listings are also mixed in with these listings as well as some older releases. This newsie is particularly curious about the Generations Deluxe Arcee. More listings coming including Movie 4 Toys!

Generations LEADERS ??

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Blackheart posted:

Whoa, big rumor/news over at TFW2005

Generations LEADERS ??

Do you think they'll be super simplified?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No, apparently generations is gonna keep its current level of complexity and the Prime/movie toylines are getting more kid-friendly toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

strangehamster posted:

Do you think they'll be super simplified?

Hasbro's line has been that Generations is the more collector-oriented line, so that'll be more complicated transformations, while the current property, be it cartoon or movie are more simplified for the kids.