Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

NOTinuyasha posted:

Cool yet another Digital Ocean outage. Seriously tempted to switch back to Linode.

If you're going that route, look into betaForce; They have a 15% off SA discount. Or if you want to stay in the bargain VPS's, RamNode is well rated and has large discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have 2 servers with betaForce. Throwing in another recommendation for them. :)

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Anaxite posted:

If you're going that route, look into betaForce; They have a 15% off SA discount. Or if you want to stay in the bargain VPS's, RamNode is well rated and has large discounts.

Vouching for Ramnode, been using their SSD-cached OpenVZ servers for a while and everything's smooth as butter.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I was just looking for something like those OpenVZ offers. 120GB offsite storage for under 5$/month is not bad.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I was just looking for something like those OpenVZ offers. 120GB offsite storage for under 5$/month is not bad.

backupsy.com if you just want high disk

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Ah yeah those look nice too, thanks for the heads up :)

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

NOTinuyasha posted:

Cool yet another Digital Ocean outage. Seriously tempted to switch back to Linode.

Which areas are these Digital Ocean outages affecting? That TS3 server is hosted on a droplet located in San Francisco.

I can vouch for RamNode, absolutely. I've got a VM that's costing me $16 a year and performance/uptime is grand. Using it as an irc bouncer at the moment and uptime on that is currently 4w, 5d, 3h, 52m, 35s.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Last week or two of Oct for digitalocean:

NY1 packetloss 27/26
NY2 down 25
NY2 down 22
NY2 down 21
NY1 down 19
NY2 down 18
NY2 down 17

I have been a customer for over a year, since they first opened, and I am more or less fed up at this point even though most of my gear is in the SF location

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 27, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Not an Anthem posted:

If we have a registrar thread it should have TLD info/pricing/availability. Is there any guarantee with international TLDs that they won't skyrocket in price over time, ie with .ca or .in TLDs such as what happened with .tt (.tt used to be as inexpensive as .ca/.in).

Eh. I don't see .ca domains going crazy in price, since they can't really be used for stupid, trendy service names like bit.ly or cheap.ly or whatever the flavour of the month is. Plus CIRA has a "Canadian Presence Requirement" for registration.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Biowarfare posted:

NY1 packetloss 27/26
NY2 down 25
NY2 down 22
NY2 down 21
NY1 down 19
NY2 down 18
NY2 down 17

I have a VPS on NY1 and another on NY2 so yeah. It's been good for a while now but I'm gonna be watching both for any sort of downtime from now on.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NOTinuyasha posted:

I have a VPS on NY1 and another on NY2 so yeah. It's been good for a while now but I'm gonna be watching both for any sort of downtime from now on.

NY2 went down again today

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving hosthop.

Ok I'm giving betaforce a try.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 29, 2013

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question or if it might fit better in the Virtualisation thread, but since AWS is covered in the OP I am just going to to leave it here like an old turd.

One of the senior architects at work has cooked up a scheme to sell our customers virtual desktops, using Citrix/Kaviza's VDI-in-a-box. Having looked at the product, you install the virtual appliance and the very first thing it asks for upon installation is the IP and credentials for the hypervisor it is running on - it then uses these permissions to spool up virtual desktops for the users and so on, seems like a decent SME solution.

However, the twist is that he wants to host it on Amazon EC2/Windows Azure. My techie instinct is that this is simply not going to be possible - Amazon/MS can't possibly give their customers administrative access to the hypervisor layer because it would be pandemonium. However he is absolutely insistent that it is possible so I have wasted a day trying to find some way to do this/some way to prove to him that he is wrong, without any real luck. Is there a nice simple diagram anywhere that I can print out and sellotape to his face? Alternatively, am I being the idiot here? It has happened before.

I appreciate that this could be delivered with Xenapp, however this would require a level of engineering time and effort (and licensing) that my wonderful employer is not willing to pay for. The only other option I can come up with is running Hyper-V on a Amazon Windows instance, then installing VDI-in-a-box on top of that. Which is completely loving stupid obviously.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
You can create a VM with the desktop or something, save it as an image, and spin up new ones programatically from the respective API

Of course, costs

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

eightysixed posted:

I have 2 servers with betaForce. Throwing in another recommendation for them. :)

Another recommendation for betaForce from me, I have 4 servers with them.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

You can create a VM with the desktop or something, save it as an image, and spin up new ones programatically from the respective API

Of course, costs

I floated this as a possibility, however there are a few caveats here as well. EC2 will only allow you to run Windows Server OS for licensing reasons, so we would have to re-skin for user acceptance, and more importantly we are looking to deliver this for 30-50 users so really we need a management layer. Probably not insurmountable, but as you have gathered we are trying to do everything and spend nothing..

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kyojin posted:

I floated this as a possibility, however there are a few caveats here as well. EC2 will only allow you to run Windows Server OS for licensing reasons, so we would have to re-skin for user acceptance, and more importantly we are looking to deliver this for 30-50 users so really we need a management layer. Probably not insurmountable, but as you have gathered we are trying to do everything and spend nothing..

If you are trying to spend nothing there's no point using EITHER of those services when you pay PER GB BANDWIDTH in AND out. You'd want some kind of 95th pctl billing or a large pool at once..

Also, aWS standard disk iops is not something to be proud of

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

If you are trying to spend nothing there's no point using EITHER of those services when you pay PER GB BANDWIDTH in AND out. You'd want some kind of 95th pctl billing or a large pool at once..

Also, aWS standard disk iops is not something to be proud of

Yeah sorry that wasn't clear, when I say nothing I mean no capital/upfront costs. OpEx we can just pass on to the customer which is why there is the enthusiasm for cloud compute.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hope this isn't Linode equipment that Linode's founder took a picture with:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What, you got something against SuperMicros shoved into filthy unfinished closets?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no a low density rack and some messy cables better sound the 'sperg alarm.

It's like you have never worked at a real job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Oh no a low density rack and some messy cables better sound the 'sperg alarm.

It's like you have never worked at a real job.

That's the thing - it looks like some place I would work, not a reliable, professional virtual host.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

That's the thing - it looks like some place I would work, not a reliable, professional virtual host.

Self burn :confuoot:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Here's something to make you feel better:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Here's something to make you feel better:

Spiderman's datacenter

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Sort of a noob question.

I am still on Hole In the Wall hosting from ages ago, cPanel webhost.

I have a domain I am going to let expire and register a new semi-polished domain for personal portfolio/self promotion reasons, and have issues with limitations with cPanel

This thread is awesome because I've been toying with OpenShift and all sorts of other things

I don't use nearly any of what my plan is right now but my dad wants to start a few sites as well so I'm going to downsize but with the idea that I'd still probably host a lot of data in the next year.

Lithium hosting's deal looks good but all the mentions of Gandi shows me that I can get the .in domain I want for the cheapest (7$) as well as get 1/2 off the hosting at gandi for being a domain customer. It would be 30/yr for the 10gb space/60gb transfer/300k pageview PaaS.

However I'm new to PaaS and Git and all this crap, I generally host really simple mysql based stuff but I keep finding really cool tools that I want to host for projects me and my friends work on, and while learning/installing them is a bitch they're rather rewarding, so I tinker on OpenShift with them.

What limitations would using Gandi as a PaaS host have in comparison to getting a VPS via RamNode/betaForce vs just using the cheap lurker option at Lithium for running the applications I want?

I understand in the gandi hosting, PaaS I would choose for example php->mysql, but if I had anything that required something outside of that I'd have to get a different instance right?

I work with a non-production VPS at work for testing a site and it seems great, but ours is very limited and stuff like ramnode seems very open and great.. my worry would be getting in over my head with things I'm not knowledgeable of. Would VPS be overkill for what I'm looking for?

I'm most comfortable with cpanel which is why I like the lithium hosting "lurker" option: cheap and easy, but cpanel has a huge amount of limitations.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 1, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Ideally you shouldn't buy your domains and hosting from the same company.

It sounds like you want a PaaS. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't host your portfolio on a paid gear (if needed) while you continue to spin up free mini gears for your toy projects. Last thing you want to do is buy a VM and host your main site + gently caress around with configs / apps on it for your projects.

Once you understand the workflow of your PaaS & framework deployment can, for the most part, be automated.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yeah, most of the outside facing stuff would preferably be treated like that and that's why I like PaaS but I also.. like loving around and learning all this stuff on the side. I am an industrial designer so its not a work thing, I just like learning :/

Also- why is buying domain/hosting from the same place bad? Gandi seems to get favorable reviews for domain service and looks like it has a decent hosting plan, perhaps.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Not an Anthem posted:

Also- why is buying domain/hosting from the same place bad? Gandi seems to get favorable reviews for domain service and looks like it has a decent hosting plan, perhaps.

If you have unsettled issues with your web host, they can hold your domain ransom.
Some old SA hosts have done this which has really fueled this opinion here.
There are some restrictions that protect Registrants but it can require some legwork to get things worked out.
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/transfers/name-holder-faqs

I'm sure a reputable place like Gandi will be fine to do both hosting and domains and not screw you over.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Shamlessly stolen from elsewhere.

quote:

Pros to using multiple companies:

If the company goes under or becomes a tyrannical nightmare you don't have all of assets in one place. You may lose your domain, you may lose your website, but not both. (And if you're smart you will have your website backed up).
If your account with them gets compromised you could lose everything
Some hosts won't let you transfer your domain name or make it nightmare to do so in an attempt to lock you in. By not using your host as your registrar you eliminate this possibility.

Cons:

You have more accounts (with logins, passwords) to keep track of. If you change your email address you have to go back and change it everywhere.
You have more accounts that can potentially be compromised. You won't lose everything but there are more opportunities for it to happen.

Gandi probably won't gently caress with you too much, but we're talking about unknowns here. Do whatever is best for you, maybe a combination of PaaS and Gandi hosting is what you need.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
It's only important to have your domain and host separate if your host is shady/run by dicks, or if you plan to stop paying your bill at your host and leave while you owe them money.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks, that clarifies the hosting/domain question.

Let me rephrase my hosting type question (VPS/PaaS/shared).

I have a free gear (correct terminology?) of Node.js running on OpenShift running an installation of Ghost, which I like.

I am running Wordpress and esoTalk on my host (PHP+MySQL) as well.

Are their PaaS hosts like Gandi that would allow me to run both Node.js and PHP/MySQL applications? I understand those are two different platforms, but things like OpenShift can use different gear installations.

I'm fine getting those sorts of things running and updated on hosts because they're simple.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does a good windows shared hosting exist?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 4, 2013

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

gmq posted:

Does good windows shared hosting exist?

Good shared hosts don't exist and good Windows hosts don't exist, so double no.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

gmq posted:

Does good windows shared hosting exist?

Define "good"... You'll get mixed opinions from everyone, but if you can find reviews from people or sources you trust, you can make a better decision.

xtal posted:

Good shared hosts don't exist and good Windows hosts don't exist, so double no.

Have a bad experience?

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 4, 2013

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DarkLotus posted:

Define "good"... You'll get mixed opinions from everyone, but if you can find reviews from people or sources you trust, you can make a better decision.

As good as... dreamhost? So, 'good'. Mainly something that is not going to disappear in the middle of the night and not incredibly expensive.
A client wants to migrate from their current hosting ASAP but they have a ton of ASP pages that need to work while we remake the site in PHP. I wish I could wait until the new site was ready but sadly that's not possible.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

gmq posted:

As good as... dreamhost? So, 'good'. Mainly something that is not going to disappear in the middle of the night and not incredibly expensive.
A client wants to migrate from their current hosting ASAP but they have a ton of ASP pages that need to work while we remake the site in PHP. I wish I could wait until the new site was ready but sadly that's not possible.

You could always jump on one of the preferred VPS hosts that offers Windows Server and roll your own IIS environment for the short amount of time you need ASP hosting.
You'd have more control that way and wouldn't have to worry about the typical limitations of shared hosting. Unless you're not looking to do any sys admin type work.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DarkLotus posted:

You could always jump on one of the preferred VPS hosts that offers Windows Server and roll your own IIS environment for the short amount of time you need ASP hosting.
You'd have more control that way and wouldn't have to worry about the typical limitations of shared hosting. Unless you're not looking to do any sys admin type work.

Yup as I know nothing about Windows Server. We're actually thinking about lithium although it seems the site needs stored procedures?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

gmq posted:

Yup as I know nothing about Windows Server. We're actually thinking about lithium although it seems the site needs stored procedures?

Shoot me a PM or start a new conversation in the SA-Mart thread. I don't solicit this thread or like to discuss Lithium here either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

gmq posted:

Would Windows Azure Web Sites work? Generally cheap (even free for many purposes), flexible, doesn't get much less likely to disappear overnight than Microsoft itself.

If you're using deployment profiles now, it should be a largely seamless transition.