Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Edit: Answered my own dumb question

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Mest0r posted:

The body was rated EX ...

Shutter count talk: Is there a way to get the shutter count of a 5D classic without sending it in to Canon?

That's interesting. I was looking into buying another used 5D at KEH vs. going the Craigs List route. I've not bought a body from KEH yet. This might be my first.

I've had no luck in plugging my 5D into any program to get a shutter count.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Rumored specs of the 7DII from CanonRumors:

20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3
High frame rate, 10-12 fps
“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs
Dual Digic V+ processor
Single card slot
WiFi & GPS
Innovative video features
Price around $2000
Very good ISO performance

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Cut that list in half and you might be close. Canon fans should know better by now.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I don't know, it says only one card slot which would seem in line with their typical resilience to a second slot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The specs are probably legit because the word "innovative" made it in there.

Corporations love that word almost as much as they do money.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I can believe everything in that apart from 'very good ISO performance' ;)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Keep in mind that list is from Canon Watch who basically just make poo poo up.

Nice wish list though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What does "innovative" video features even mean.

It'll probably be like a crop version of the 6D, nothing terribly innovative about that aside from ISO performance.

So...are we going to have to wait another generation to see an improvement in dynamic range from Canon sensors?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
If by generation you mean an actual human generation then yeah probably.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wario In Real Life posted:

If by generation you mean an actual human generation then yeah probably.

Yeah basically this. Nikon are putting Canon to shame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I posted it earlier, Canon has a patent filed about doing dual amplification (read: ISO) simultaneously per photocell. So at some point, we'll indeed be getting better DR. I'd figure a Mark II of the 6D would be the prime target to bring it to market, because I don't see a 5D Mk4 coming out that soon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

1st AD posted:

Focus peaking and zebras. Official RAW video support. Haha who am I kidding, they're gonna port the 70D live view AF and call it a day.

Cut that list in half and you might be close. Canon fans should know better by now.

If the half they keep is the 5DIII AF system, 10fps burst, and better high iso performance it would be a camera worth looking at. I'd be surprised if it gets priced at ~$2000 though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1st AD posted:

Built in Instagram style filters for your videos.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Price around $2000
Haha. Maybe a year after release.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

InternetJunky posted:

Reminder that the 7D is a crop sensor. Even with the features listed in the wish list, more than 2k is getting into weary territory for a crop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reminder that the 7D is a crop sensor. Even with the features listed in the wish list, more than 2k is getting into weary territory for a crop.
Exactly. It'll be expensive because there's no really an alternative outside of nikon, but they can only push so far.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

There's a massive pool of people who are waiting for version 2 specifically because it's a crop (me included). Some of those people have given up the wait and gone for the 70D, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new 7D priced at $2500-2700 for the first year, nor would I be surprised to see it sell like crazy at that price. Sports and wildlife shooters aren't holding off on $3000 full frames because of the price.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Rumored specs of the 7DII from CanonRumors:

20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3
High frame rate, 10-12 fps
“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs
Dual Digic V+ processor
Single card slot
WiFi & GPS
Innovative video features
Price around $2000
Very good ISO performance

I wonder if it'll have an aliasing filter in the hopes of making it more video friendly. I also wonder what the first DSLR to have a viewfinder that can switch between the OVF and OVF like Fuji, can't be that hard but it'll probably take 3-4 years before they bother.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

I think what they mean there is that the price will begin with the number 2. 2899. 2999. Something like that.

Well, the 7D is basically seen as a baby 1 series and there are plenty of people who've been wanting a crop pro model for a while. Plus this is Canon "30% across the board price hike because gently caress you" Corporation we're talking about here.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if it'll have an aliasing filter in the hopes of making it more video friendly. I also wonder what the first DSLR to have a viewfinder that can switch between the OVF and OVF like Fuji, can't be that hard but it'll probably take 3-4 years before they bother.

Don't all DSLR's have an AA filter? I think only the D800e and the D7100 ship without one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1st AD posted:

Don't all DSLR's have an AA filter? I think only the D800e and the D7100 ship without one.

Also the Pentax K-5 IIs, and soon the Sony A7r mirrorless.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also the Pentax K-5 IIs, and soon the Sony A7r mirrorless.

Also, the Pentax K-3, and all Fuji x-trans sensor cameras.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if it'll have an aliasing filter in the hopes of making it more video friendly.

I'd hazard a guess and say Canon are totally reluctant to put too much improvements into the video on their DSLRs while they're flogging the C-00 video camera series.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd hazard a guess and say Canon are totally reluctant to put too much improvements into the video on their DSLRs while they're flogging the C-00 video camera series.

You can get a (hacked) raw video recording on a 5Dmk3, but their C-series cameras will only record 8-bit video of various flavors depending on how much you want to spend. It's so dumb, especially considering that the sensor for the C-cams are so much better designed for video but you pretty much don't have the option to do any better than 8-bit uncompressed over SDI or HDMI.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm not a huge advocate of the C-series. The low-light on them is pretty good though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mightaswell posted:

Also, the Pentax K-3, and all Fuji x-trans sensor cameras.

Pretty sure the EM-1 from olympus ships with no AA filter too.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

deaders posted:

I am weighing up the options for a standard zoom to use on my 5d ii. The only other lenses I have for this camera are the 50mm 1.8 and 100mm f2 (love this btw, highly recommended).

Looking at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for around $380 or the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC for around $900.

Anyone used both? Sigma 24-70 is not an option because apparently the IQ sucks and I don't want to spend $2k on the Canon.

Apparently the 28-75 is crazy good value as long as you don't get a soft copy. And it would be nice to use that extra $500 for some other gear (would like to get some lighting equipment - stands, umbrellas etc and another flash).

Not sure if it will help your decision any, but I have the 28-75 (on a 60D) and I use it a lot. Hopefully the links work, it's the first time I've tried linking directly.

https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/390d6ac8a61bcdfa34d812cb0ca900b5/1600T
https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/9b98d96e7cc0a6965bc237edddf2fd22/1600T
https://d3v1qqxkrxwllf.cloudfront.net/c96d4b5fe0b43dd9dbc5a97d5639afd9/75768427e42cccb30328ac693876dc93/1600T

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Pretty sure the EM-1 from olympus ships with no AA filter too.

No mirror means it's not a DSLR :colbert:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I'm not a huge advocate of the C-series. The low-light on them is pretty good though.

I think the C camcorders are pretty great in terms of design. If the C100 cost today what it will in a year or two it'd be a good deal, but aparently Panasonic's coming out with a GH4 (a GH3 in a bigger body) for around 3000 that'll rival its quality, so maybe prices will finally come down to HDSLR killing levels.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1st AD posted:

No mirror means it's not a DSLR :colbert:

Which is true for half the cameras in that discussion. Good job only pointing out the m43 camera days late!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New 5D Mark III firmware:
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
  • Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.
Can't say I've come across any of these issues (insert joke about how my camera never gets used anyway) but hey new firmware. :)

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2013

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Canon: We don't have bugs, we have phenomenon. :smug:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So my friend who don't have much cash wants a T3. What can I tell him to not get one?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
For the same money he can get a better camera, show him a used T2i.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Not here in Norway. Camera prices are high. And buying from over the seas costs way too much in shipping.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
How much does it cost in NOK?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Having a quick look at the first camera store I can find in Norway that actually has a website (interfoto.no), it looks like a T3 body (EOS 1100D) costs 2995 NOK, and a T3i body (EOS 650D) costs 5000 NOK. That works out to $503 usd for the T3 and $840 usd for the T3i. A T3i kit costs 5500 NOK ($924 usd).

Can't forget a lens.
An 18-55 looks to be 1595 NOK ($268 usd) if you can wait for them to order it. Otherwise, it's 2495 NOK ($419 usd)
50mm f1.8? 940 NOK ($158 usd)

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 31, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ahmeni posted:

Canon: We don't have bugs, we have phenomenon. :smug:

This is how I explain reproducible bugs. It sounds fancier, and less like it's my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
The pricerange seems to be somewhat similar to Sweden when it comes to buying new ones. Some stores overpice them but the prices on netonnet.no is more fair, and comparable to Sweden. I should be able to get a used 600D + kit lens for about the same price as a new 1100D + kit lens here, add $20-$50, I figure the second hand prices would be about the same in Norway?