Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

• Enterprise AI: reads your thoughts, magically gives you what you want even when you gently caress up the order*

* Example:

Picard: Computer! Maximum zoom!
Enterprise A.I.: :rolleyes: *knowing full well that "maximum zoom" would just be a single molecule on the enemy hull, gives instead 6.6% zoom.*
This is a future with Betazoids, Vulcans, Aenar and whoever else who has actual quantifiable psychic abilities; not just a rough feeling, but direct thoughts. I guarantee Federation interface technology has a technological form of that in; I work in loving coffee and I don't even know what someone means when they say "double sweet" but the computer can perfectly fart out a double sweet raktajino for O'Brien every three seconds. There's only so many times someone said "Computer, two for emergency beam-out and had two random people in the same room as the crewman appear in a shuttlecraft before a Starfleet scientist wandered over to Vulcan to ask for a user-friendly solution for a race so incapable of being specific and forward-thinking that they'll walk directly into a fountain, or marry Keiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I just finished the episode where Ensign Ro and Geordi get phase inverted and are turned invisible or whatever. Maybe I just zoned out, but did that episode completely gloss over the fact the stranded Romulan ship was going to blow up the Enterprise at the end? They just turn off the Muon waves and are all like "Bye!"? Captain Worf would not stand for that nonsense.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. It was supremely uncomfortable by design and it was indeed totally necessary to the story. It was the first step of Odo realizing how much he'd screwed up and a critical catalyst for him to examine the mistakes he'd made that led him to that point.

I don't know how my post could have come across as sarcastic

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

President Kucinich posted:

I just finished the episode where Ensign Ro and Geordi get phase inverted and are turned invisible or whatever. Maybe I just zoned out, but did that episode completely gloss over the fact the stranded Romulan ship was going to blow up the Enterprise at the end? They just turn off the Muon waves and are all like "Bye!"? Captain Worf would not stand for that nonsense.

If I remember right, pretty much yep. The Federation greets mass murder attempts from rival empires with a "Ha! We caught you, you rapscallions!"

Of course that's not my big problem with the episode: the fact they can connect with the floor is. Still, I liked that one, even though that bugged the hell out of me.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 27, 2013

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I think they just straight up ran out of time to bring Geordi and Ro back AND quiz the Romulans. Anyway, that kind of bullshit would be handled (or made to disappear) through diplomatic channels, I'd reckon.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

With the whole Odo and female changeling thing, the reason I thought it was out there was because Odo was established as having a great deal of self control and was quite reserved. He never really gave in to sexual temptation as he was always carrying a torch for Kira.

But then suddenly he's getting freaky and ignoring everything else. The part where the "solid form loving" happens sort of makes sense to me, but with the joining, he'd already experienced it and turned away from it. Also, you know, supporting the other side of a galactic war.

Maybe it is just me "not liking the actions of a character" and being childish. But that's just how I saw it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Carnaticum posted:

With the whole Odo and female changeling thing, the reason I thought it was out there was because Odo was established as having a great deal of self control and was quite reserved. He never really gave in to sexual temptation as he was always carrying a torch for Kira.

But then suddenly he's getting freaky and ignoring everything else. The part where the "solid form loving" happens sort of makes sense to me, but with the joining, he'd already experienced it and turned away from it. Also, you know, supporting the other side of a galactic war.

Maybe it is just me "not liking the actions of a character" and being childish. But that's just how I saw it.

Well my read on him not giving into sexual temptation was due to a lack of erogenous zones or sexual desire in general. It's curious to think how much this would have changed when he was sentenced to be a human by the great link. He was certainly always attracted to Major Kira's personality, but did sexual desire creep in when he became human? How much stuck around when he was again allowed to be a changeling?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I figure the link is basically loving on meth. Odo tried it once and went "this is neat" and just constantly had it in the back of his mind; when another changeling came on the station, the two of them just locked themselves in a room loving and getting high the whole time. I can't explain why they needed to show us the "solid sex" bit other than they never got a chance to show Jadzia and Worf's spiked sex swing, I guess.

President Kucinich posted:

Captain Worf would not stand for that nonsense.
Worf consistently makes good decisions all through TNG, and is rewarded by being told to shut up, or just outright ignored. poo poo, Tasha Yar got more respect than him as a security chief in her one season - there's an early episode where she asks Picard if Data can be trusted and he says "sure" then straight around yells to the bridge "that was an important and legitimate security question though, I am glad you asked." All Worf got ever was "sure thing rufflehead, but we're just going to hug through this until several lower decks have holes and we've lost fifty or so non-Starfleet passengers."

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Here's Worf suffering in awful work conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to pretend that all the extras on the bridge secretly agreed with Worf every time.

Worf: Alien ship approaching, their weapons are charged. Should I raise shields?
Picard: No, Mr Worf, we don't want to provoke them.
Blue Shirt in the Background: HE LOOKS PRETTY PROVOKED ALREADY.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's because Picard watched Babylon 5 and knows the Earth-Minbari War was provoked by humans misunderstanding the Minbari tradition of approaching with open weapons ports as a gesture of friendship. He can't take that risk, no matter the cost.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The best part of In the Beginning was the Earth ship with no artificial gravity and people strapped to their work stations like some kind of fetish club.

Captain Sheridan of the USS&M Enterprise.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hyperriker posted:

Here's Worf suffering in awful work conditions:

There's one there where Worf says "recommend we go to yellow alert" and Picard just stares at him and says "why?" and it's killing me because just last night I watched a season 1 TNG episode where Picard was hailed by a Ferengi ship and he just really casually tells the whole crew to jump to yellow alert to respond.

Then again, season 1 TNG has Worf constantly referring to poo poo from Qo'noS as being "back home" and "from my childhood."

e: ahahah poo poo, Worf just mentioned Yar's rape gangs and Crusher just rolled her eyes and says "I can handle myself."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Whalley posted:

Then again, season 1 TNG has Worf constantly referring to poo poo from Qo'noS as being "back home" and "from my childhood."

Was that before the Klingons joined the Federation?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was that before the Klingons joined the Federation?
The last time I saw TNG, I didn't know that much about Star Trek. Now I'm totally involved in Trek; I've seen all of TNG, all of DS9, most of Voyager, half of Enterprise, a few episodes of TOS, the satan episode of TAS, a bunch of movies, read three books, own a few magazines and played Star Trek Online.

Season 1 of TNG is really hard to re-watch without laughing now :3:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whalley posted:

Yeah, I don't think they had quite figured out yet just how young Worf was when he got adopted by the Roschenkos. So you get references here and there to things like his pet targ, and I don't know about you, but I don't really remember anything before the age of five/six, which is about when Worf was adopted.

So they clearly wouldn't have known about Worf headbutting a child to death during a soccer match, either :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Whalley posted:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, I don't think they had quite figured out yet just how young Worf was when he got adopted by the Roschenkos. So you get references here and there to things like his pet targ, and I don't know about you, but I don't really remember anything before the age of five/six, which is about when Worf was adopted.

I love, love, love the fact that Worf is, by culture, a Russian. His childhood would have been full of ice cream in the winter, reading Gorky, drinking tea out of a glass with a metal holder, air-kisses with his parent's elderly relatives, and he probably has an adorable little nickname that ends in "-a".

Everything this man knows about Klingons he taught himself--the man is a weeaboo for his own people, like an American of Irish descent on St. Patrick's Day. That's why he has such a stick up his rear end about being a Klingon, more so than actual Klingons do. (Put the things he says about his personal code in Gowron's mouth and it would be flagrant hypocrisy; in K'Ehleyr's and it would just be funny.)

And the subplot where he gets stripped of his honor and exiled is the breaking of that naive dream.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 27, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Weeaboo" seems like an incredibly unfair (and inaccurate) characterization considering that his parents were Klingons and he himself was being raised Klingon until his parents were killed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Weeaboo" seems like an incredibly unfair (and inaccurate) characterization considering that his parents were Klingons and he himself was being raised Klingon until his parents were killed.
I'm not saying it contemptuously, I think it adds to the character and it's a shame they didn't do more with it. How much does a small child know about his own culture? The writer Myles na gCopaleen called people who weeaboo over their own heritage "Returned Americans," and I would have used that but I doubt many other people on here have heard it. An American of Irish descent, which is what he was talking about, may be 100% Irish genetically, but they aren't from Ireland. They don't have the same culture that Americans of other backgrounds have, but they're not Irish either. That's what twists the knife in the Worf-exile plot--he's not losing what he had, he's losing what he dreamt of having.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 27, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Whatever happened to the Wife of Mogh? Was she with Mogh and Worf, or was she off with Kurn, explaining how he got away?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The most they ever did with Worf being Russian was when DS9 ended and O'Brien was going back to Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo

And really, how can you improve on perfection?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
The Rozhenkos were from Belarus, and Minsk is the capital of Belarus.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, I don't think they had quite figured out yet just how young Worf was when he got adopted by the Roschenkos.

They hadn't even figured out the Klingon political situation. They're definitely members of the federation in s1.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

There's no reason why they wouldn't! The material simply has to be strong enough to contain the internal force of the expanding gas without any external atmospheric compression to aid it.

poo poo, this company wants to make inflatable space stations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Just finished "The Uniform"

I kept waiting for the part where Sisko announced that he had actually tricked Eddington and that he hadn't poisoned an entire planet. It never came. :smith:

I am loving the fact that you and I are literally watching DS9 at the exact same pace. I keep seeing posts from you about episodes I've just seen.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wowbagger2004 posted:

The Rozhenkos were from Belarus, and Minsk is the capital of Belarus.

I feel like there's some link between TOS Klingons being the USSR analogue and Worf being raised in a former Soviet state.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rypakal posted:

They hadn't even figured out the Klingon political situation. They're definitely members of the federation in s1.

They're not members of the Federation. They're allies. High lighted in that Tasha Yar daughter episode where Starfleet cites the Prime Directive for not getting directly involved in the Klingon civil war.

A member would be the Trill or someone like that.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

DemeaninDemon posted:

They're not members of the Federation. They're allies. High lighted in that Tasha Yar daughter episode where Starfleet cites the Prime Directive for not getting directly involved in the Klingon civil war.

A member would be the Trill or someone like that.

Did you purposefully ignore the fact that I said season 1?

Also in season 2, Wesley says that the Klingons joined the federation.

Later they changed their minds, but Gene originally liked the idea of the former enemy being in the Federation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought for sure they mentioned during S1 how Worf was the only Klingon ever to join Starfleet. If they're members, they're like, lazy, lovely members.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought for sure they mentioned during S1 how Worf was the only Klingon ever to join Starfleet. If they're members, they're like, lazy, lovely members.

Powers in the Federation still had their own navies. It's like being the first Congolese to be a UN Peacekeeper or something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Remember that ring-shaped Enterprise? Well, you can buy a model of it now.

If you're fast.

And have $1500.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I forgot DS9 opened with a crawl. Still not happy about it :colbert:

I worked 20 hours yesterday, and thought that falling asleep while watching Voyager was a good idea. It definitely got more interesting.

Phage turned into Torres getting her lungs stolen and developing a mobile lung holographic emitter. They still hunted down the Vidiian, and got him to bring back the lungs for Torres, but she decided to stab him with a real scalpel while lying on the operating table.

Janeway's animal guide turned out to be an otter.

They ended up contacting Tomalak through the wormhole and beaming him aboard Voyager, but couldn't send him back. He was too big to send back through because it was a micro wormhole. He stayed with the ship for the rest of the trip.

Voyager. Not even once.

:edit: Rewatching those episodes, and it turns out I missed "There's coffee in that nebula." I was alright with that.
:edit2: And apparently Chakotay is a bear-type.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 28, 2013

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rypakal posted:

Later they changed their minds, but Gene originally liked the idea of the former enemy being in the Federation.

Shows how much attention I paid during the beardless era.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Is it just me, or is this design incredibly cool and futuristic? :swoon:

I mean look at it, it just looks like nothing earthly comparable at all. All the Star Trek ships, when you come down to it, end up looking vaguely like something that might conceivably fly in an atmosphere if a lot can be handwaved due to "future technology". But this thing, it looks undeniably like a creature of space. It's amazing!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

Is it just me, or is this design incredibly cool and futuristic? :swoon:

I mean look at it, it just looks like nothing earthly comparable at all. All the Star Trek ships, when you come down to it, end up looking vaguely like something that might conceivably fly in an atmosphere if a lot can be handwaved due to "future technology". But this thing, it looks undeniably like a creature of space. It's amazing!

It's a reliable way to get artificial gravity. Spin that ring around at the right speed. Sweet looking too.

In my opinion, space ships should look badass. Don't really need a design for drag or flight or anything. Maybe stick the engines somewhere away from everything else?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's a reliable way to get artificial gravity. Spin that ring around at the right speed. Sweet looking too.

I recently learned there are a lot of complications with the spinning ring thing. Apparently if you turn your head perpendicular to the direction of rotation, it makes you puke.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sash! posted:

I recently learned there are a lot of complications with the spinning ring thing. Apparently if you turn your head perpendicular to the direction of rotation, it makes you puke.

Complication? That sounds more like a hilarious feature.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

rypakal posted:

I watched a metric fuckton of TNG, and I don't remember this. Sperg-A says this just shows the alliance, which makes more sense to me. When does Wesley say they joined the Federation?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gau posted:

I watched a metric fuckton of TNG, and I don't remember this. Sperg-A says this just shows the alliance, which makes more sense to me. When does Wesley say they joined the Federation?

There's some line where he says "that was before the Klingons joined the Federation." Someone confirms that. I'm pretty sure its a lovely episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You can write it off as Wesley not being very informed or precise or alternatively you can accept that early TNG is a goddamn mess and just ignore a lot of it.

• Locked thread