Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How would one go about getting a Salamence that knows Outrage this generation? Thought it was a move tutor move but alas, there's no option for my level 82 Jolly Intimidate Salamence to learn it there. Maybe I should give up and just try to breed a Moxie one anyways??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if I can delete the main Pokemon file from my memory card, and then later reinstall it and still access my save game? I just ask because I remember hearing people talking about the game having some sort of strict savegame enforcement to prevent duping.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Get one from previous generations or wait until the inevitable Outrage tutor in Z.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Might have to play a previous generation just to get my stable in order for December. But it's so hard to go back now.

The prior Pokemon games just feel clunky and ugly now.

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 27, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How would one go about getting a Salamence that knows Outrage this generation? Thought it was a move tutor move but alas, there's no option for my level 82 Jolly Intimidate Salamence to learn it there. Maybe I should give up and just try to breed a Moxie one anyways??

Can you breed the move onto one from a Haxorus (Haxorus learns it right)? Anyway my uneducated guess is it seems like Outrage will be less useful in this game since it gives a free switch to the opponent's fairy type.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Is there any way to get more Shiny Stones? Since the stone emporium is completely useless (seriously Game Freak just giving them three stones :saddowns:) I'm worried about evolving my Togepi later on to fill out the pokedex. I've found the one on Route 12 at least but I can't find any more spots where you can get one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can get infinite stones from completing the super training minigames, which you unlock by fully EV training a pokemon and then doing additional training with it.

I have no idea why the stone store doesn't just sell them given you have a renewable source avaliable literally everywhere.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Desperate Character posted:

Is there any way to get more Shiny Stones? Since the stone emporium is completely useless (seriously Game Freak just giving them three stones :saddowns:) I'm worried about evolving my Togepi later on to fill out the pokedex. I've found the one on Route 12 at least but I can't find any more spots where you can get one.
The Roserade level in super training.

E:fb

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Secret Super Training minigames all have chances to give you certain stones. According to serebii, you're looking for the "An Opening of Lightning-Quick Attacks!" game, which is the one after the Aegislash one.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Can you breed the move onto one from a Haxorus (Haxorus learns it right)? Anyway my uneducated guess is it seems like Outrage will be less useful in this game since it gives a free switch to the opponent's fairy type.

The only people I've fought online using Fairy Types have been Japanese. Unless Mawile counts I guess.

How about Disable on a Gengar? I have an army of nicely trained correct natured Pokemon, but about half of them are lacking the movepool to be truly effective.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can get infinite stones from completing the super training minigames, which you unlock by fully EV training a pokemon and then doing additional training with it.

I have no idea why the stone store doesn't just sell them given you have a renewable source avaliable literally everywhere.

3 More moon stones until I'm done with Hydreigon forever :smithicide:

VVVVV: It's random.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 27, 2013

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Dastardly posted:

3 More moon stones until I'm done with Hydreigon forever :smithicide:

Is it random if you get a Moon or Sun Stone? Serebii says you get both, and I'm certain I got a Sun Stone from it once, but I currently have 9 Moon Stones and a Gloom sitting in my box I need to evolve into Bellosom. :argh:

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Sorry if this has been posted about before (I only read back the past couple of pages) but has anybody had issues with Gamesync? It worked just fine the first time I tried it a few days ago, got my Pokemiles on Global Link and exchanged them for some cheap healing items. But since then I've been trying multiple times to resync to claim my items. Even if I try at different times during the day I still get the server is busy message.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, tried out some more critters on Amie. Solosis is cute, as expected. Rampardos is adorable. And also really fat. Never noticed that before. I guess sprites couldn't really depict Rampardos properly, but he could rival Snorlax in the fatty championship in 3D.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

McDragon posted:

Well, tried out some more critters on Amie. Solosis is cute, as expected. Rampardos is adorable. And also really fat. Never noticed that before. I guess sprites couldn't really depict Rampardos properly, but he could rival Snorlax in the fatty championship in 3D.

Try all of the fossil pokemon in Poke-Amie because they are amazing. Archeops is my favorite one because of how quick he eats the puffs you give him (and his battle animation is top-notch) :3:

Also, try poking your pokemon (it's in the name :v:) because they have hilarious anger animations. Cradily whips its tendrils in front of itself while Omastar just hides in its shell

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For all everyone talks about breeding being easy now I sure do have some lovely luck when it comes to IV inheritance. Can't get my 5 IV shupet, despite hatching over 50 of them that could of easily had it. Somehow I've managed to get 5 IV shupets that had max special attack 4 times, which isn't even one of the stats I want them to inherit. That means they not only did not inheirt the stat I wanted, but also rolled a perfect 31 on it just to spite me :negative:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
So where is this fishing guy that gives you the tips? Also is he a necessary thing for the chain fishing or can I just fish it up? I'm trying to breed up a halfway decent team by saturday for my groups Extra Life fund raiser. The ease of IV training should (in theory) allow more people to get into competitive play easier. I mean, with Destiny Knot, and friend safari, it really isn't hard. Also, I've been placing bullet punch Meditites on to wondertrade. Bullet Punch/Psychocut Meditites are incoming.

Last question: where the masseuse? I need to get this Togepi evolved so I can get it to breed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How about Disable on a Gengar? I have an army of nicely trained correct natured Pokemon, but about half of them are lacking the movepool to be truly effective.

Gengar's one of the few Pokemon that can really use Disable, with his high speed and key resistances/immunities, he can switch in to something that can't do much on him, set up a Subsitute, and use Disable when something tries to hit him with something he's weak against. The attack hits the substitute, and is promptly Disabled, letting Gengar run around with impunity.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Caught a my first Shiny of X Y (and my first shiny since a geodude in HGSS); an Audino. Put it up on GTS for a Xerneas, got a modest Xerneas. :buddy: Thank you Japan!

(I still don't have an Adamant Ditto. A shiny is more common than it is. gently caress.)

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

For all everyone talks about breeding being easy now I sure do have some lovely luck when it comes to IV inheritance. Can't get my 5 IV shupet, despite hatching over 50 of them that could of easily had it. Somehow I've managed to get 5 IV shupets that had max special attack 4 times, which isn't even one of the stats I want them to inherit. That means they not only did not inheirt the stat I wanted, but also rolled a perfect 31 on it just to spite me :negative:

I was about to commiserate with you but I just hatched my 5 IV Deino as was typing, after filling 3 boxes of the bastards, finally!

shs
Feb 14, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Might have to play a previous generation just to get my stable in order for December. But it's so hard to go back now.

The prior Pokemon games just feel clunky and ugly now.

It's remarkable how far we've come since red and blue :japan:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FauxGateau posted:

Has anyone actually ever gotten a shiny and were expecting it?

I doubt it, I was trying to breed a shiny Fennekin for a few days and when I finally got it, I was expecting yet another not-shiny and I was all :geno:

Now to breed a shiny Froakie, and a shiny Honedge, and a shiny Togepi, and eventually a Snivy. Not sure what I want for my sixth. Goodra maybe. Either him or Flygon.

cancerianmoth posted:

Last question: where the masseuse? I need to get this Togepi evolved so I can get it to breed.
If you're gonna breed Togepis, you might as well breed something else in the meantime. A good benchmark for enough Happiness is filling up a single box with Flame Body hatched eggs, that's enough to evolve it in my experience.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 27, 2013

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
All right, there's a tournament in my area at the end of the week. The guy running it specifically mentioned the Smogon ban lists as what they are using, so they at least know it exists, but I don't want to go too crazy team building.

With so little time, I don't really care about IVs so much as natures and abilities. I've figured out five of them, and I just need the last guy.

We've got:

Talonflame
Azumarill
Goodra
Scizor
Gengar

The last one is ideally someone who can resist Rock without getting hurt by Ground. I was thinking Gastrodon, but apparently they haven't been found yet. How about Swampert? If neither of those are available I might just roll with Quagsire, especially if people have a safari with his hidden ability, or if he appears in hordes.

E: Actually that's exactly wrong. No one says Gastrodon is unobtainable, but Swampert is.

Complexcalibur fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 27, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, you can't feed Shedinja, and if you try, it gets all confused. :3:

Try all of the fossil pokemon in Poke-Amie because they are amazing.

They really are. I think they're some of the best.

Pokemon Amie is way better than Pokemon following you, in my opinion. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more when the Pokebank opens up, being able to use all the currently unavailable monsters or just poking and prodding them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Karrablast is great in poke amie. He just hops around and wiggles his little limbs with joy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Gengar's one of the few Pokemon that can really use Disable, with his high speed and key resistances/immunities, he can switch in to something that can't do much on him, set up a Subsitute, and use Disable when something tries to hit him with something he's weak against. The attack hits the substitute, and is promptly Disabled, letting Gengar run around with impunity.

Yes, but how do I get him to learn it?

Also how do Gengar's stats change with a mega evolution? My team is currently Volcarona, Metagross, Salamence, Gengar, Rotom W and Mamoswine. Rotom W has a Life Orb, Metagross has a Leftovers and Gengar has a Focus Band. I haven't many other items, and Gengar is my only Pokemon with a Mega Evolution. Would it be worth using for me? Is there a better item for him?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

McDragon posted:

Ha, you can't feed Shedinja, and if you try, it gets all confused. :3:

Really? So the only way to max affection with it is with pets?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Yeah, I'm surprised how few people are talking about Pokémon-amie. The sheer amount of detail put into it blows my mind. I suggest trying Hawlucha: it makes the best faces. :3:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus, what is Rotom-W weak to? I can't play Y yet so I've been scratching my itch on Showdown, and he was as much of an obstacle as all the psuedo-legendaries.

It was a good learning experience though. Klefki can be used really well, but only if you can out-think the opponent. That, and my team (MegaHeracross, Aegislash, Pangoro, Greninja, and Gogoat) has some massive coverage gaps, in Fire and Electric in particular. That and my preference for slow attackers makes Sticky Web that much more of a gamechanger against me. It was fun though, I did manage to win three out of the five I played.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus, what is Rotom-W weak to? I can't play Y yet so I've been scratching my itch on Showdown, and he was as much of an obstacle as all the psuedo-legendaries.

It was a good learning experience though. Klefki can be used really well, but only if you can out-think the opponent. That, and my team (MegaHeracross, Aegislash, Pangoro, Greninja, and Gogoat) has some massive coverage gaps, in Fire and Electric in particular. That and my preference for slow attackers makes Sticky Web that much more of a gamechanger against me. It was fun though, I did manage to win three out of the five I played.

Rotom-W is weak to Grass and if you can take care of levitate (Mold Breaker, Gravity, etc.) Ground.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dienes posted:

Really? So the only way to max affection with it is with pets?

I think it carries over whatever affection you had on Nincada.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Rotom's ghost typing gets swapped out when it changes form. So Rotom-W is Electric/Water with Levitate as an ability.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rotom-W is weak to Grass and if you can take care of levitate (Mold Breaker, Gravity, etc.) Ground.
What? I have no idea how I've gone through six generations of Pokemon games and spinoffs thinking that Electric resists Grass. I had a Gogoat and everything, never bothered to try. Thanks for that revelation.

Also I had no idea Mold Breaker worked that way. Gonna have to take that into consideration and find a good mold breaker, because man do I hate Levitate.

EDIT: Also maybe a team of four Physical Sweepers isn't a great idea. Just got demolished by a Klefki with TWave, Swagger, and Foul Play.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I know you can get hidden abilities on friend safari and horde poke battles, but is there any trick to getting water ones with them? I've been trying to chain catch Skrelp by the bucketload, as well as trading for them on the GTS, but no adaptability yet.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What? I have no idea how I've gone through six generations of Pokemon games and spinoffs thinking that Electric resists Grass. I had a Gogoat and everything, never bothered to try. Thanks for that revelation.

Also I had no idea Mold Breaker worked that way. Gonna have to take that into consideration and find a good mold breaker, because man do I hate Levitate.

EDIT: Also maybe a team of four Physical Sweepers isn't a great idea. Just got demolished by a Klefki with TWave, Swagger, and Foul Play.

Haxorus is a good Mold Breaker, and he can learn Earthquake (Ground). Being Dragon, he also resists Electric and Water.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Other way around. Grass resists Electric.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

No problem and yeah Mold Breaker is awesome, I think my favorite use is OHKOing Pokemon that have Sturdy. :getin:

Also Taunt is basically a giant "gently caress you" to Klefki.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I have a friend who has Spiritomb in his safari, so I've been mass GTSing them for Pokemon that evolve from stones. It always seems to go through pretty quick because most of the Spiritombs up there want legendaries.

I'll hold off on asking for the moon until I get a shiny one.

raito
Sep 13, 2012
how exactly does Florges hidden ability Symbiosis work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Man, Pawniard is the most difficult pokemon to pet.

• Locked thread