Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Read posted:

As soon as Pumpkings start spawning I just fly up and kill them in the air while everything below dies a horrible death. Works pretty well, though I've killed over 25 Pumpkings with no drops besides gold and probably 50 Mourning Woods without any drops but the pet.

You could design this more optimally obviously, too lazy to change though.

e: New idea, giant pumpkin design. I'll use hay bales for the stairs up into the pumpkin and have the controls inside the stem.

How do you deal with the Mourning Woods since they can shoot through blocks? Do you just dodge them and wait for them to die?

By the way, another addition to the design would be to put a 1 block space in the floor of the control room so you can shoot Rainbows/Rain clouds/Magnet spheres at the enemies below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just got a lucky drop on an Uzi. I'm torn, I love mega-shark but the Uzi is just so fun to use. I honestly can't tell which is considered the better gun. Thoughts?

And a Nimbus Rod drops a few seconds later! Time to start farming the hard mode bosses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only thing the Uzi has over the Megashark is the extra knockback. Unless you have enough money and materials that the ammo consumption of the Uzi isn't an issue, use the Megashark(or better yet, the Candy corn Rifle)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How deep does mud have to be for chlorophyte to convert it? And what's the ideal farm set up?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
This really is the best update ever. Redigit and co. really got a lot of respect form me with all this free content they put out for their game this year so far. I can't throw them my money fast enough for Terraria 2. Hell, if they kept workign on Terraria 1 and put out another update like 1.2, and charged something like a $5 DLC for it, I'd happily pay to support them.

The robot costume is my favorite so far, when you run you hold out your little robot hook hands like in Forbidden Planet.

I managed to get Pumpking down once and another one to half health solo by setting up a Murder Zone of Death. The first 5 or so waves get killed off so quickly it gives me more time to spend on Pumpking. I need to fly to the top of my base and circle around him in low orbit to be effective without dying though. Spectre armor is still super-effective even after the nerf. Shadowbeam staff is just too good.

The Hydra minion really helps too. One thing I noticed is the Hydra serve as a distraction if you die to the Mourning Woods. Instead of camping your bed when you respawn they move over to where the Hydra is to give you some breathing room.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

The Leper Colon V posted:

How deep does mud have to be for chlorophyte to convert it? And what's the ideal farm set up?

Cavern level or lower, although it does not have to be in the underground jungle. You want to see the background visually change from Underground to Cavern before you set up the farm.

As for spacing, official wiki says:

quote:

Chlorophyte Ore will not grow or spawn if there are more than 25 Chlorophyte blocks within 30 tiles, or if there is more than 150 within 80 tiles.

I'm not sure if those numbers are entirely correct, but regardless an optimal setup will have a grid of 5x5 mud patches (with a seed ore in the middle), with the patches well spaced out. There seems to be conflicting reports about the importance of having the farm well-lit, but just in case I have a bunch of torches strewn about.

I have six 5x5 mud patches in my farm and probably harvest 30-40 ore every ingame day, with practically no effort. You could upscale this very easily if you wanted to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

genericnick posted:

Ah, I know that. I just like the idea of having an eternal lava waterfall murder everyone that climbs my pyramid.

Joke's on you: waterfalls don't kill anyone no matter what they're made of.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to install the latest Red Cloud release (I enjoy that mod alot), but I'm failing on the very first step.

I've removed the game, deleted everything Terraria related out of the steam folder, killed everything in the my games folder, reinstalled, but when I go to install Terraria Game Launcher I get: "Can not find executable for current Release Hash. Please make sure you have a legal Terraria or update your game."

Well, I bought the drat thing on Steam and it's running the Halloween update, is that update just too new?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Joke's on you: waterfalls don't kill anyone no matter what they're made of.

They could always just make, like, a pump-based waterfall if they had enough lava. It would eventually poo poo itself due to the way water works, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus, trying to splice together screenshots for a composite picture of a large house/complex/etc. is annoying.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

They could always just make, like, a pump-based waterfall if they had enough lava. It would eventually poo poo itself due to the way water works, though.

That's exactly what his original post was asking about :haw:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RickVoid posted:

Well, I bought the drat thing on Steam and it's running the Halloween update, is that update just too new?
It might be! With a big mod like that, Red Cloud might need some fairly major updating.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I seem to recall seeing some instructions on how to revert to 1.1 so you can play Red Cloud. One of the main libraries it uses quit updating (sort of) so it's probably going to be a good while before you can play it on 1.2.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Took me an hour to figure out what the problems were. To whit:

1. Terraria was missing a file that the Game Launcher that came with the mod needs in order to install. If you verify the file cache in Steam, it'll figure that out and download the file for you.
2. The version of the Game Launcher that came with the mod is outdated and needs to be updated or it still won't work.

I've got it working now at least. Lots of changes even in early areas from the last time I played. Going to do a Metroid gimmick run where I start as Samus, with Meteor Armor and a Space Blaster from the start, still trying to figure out how I'm gonna do that. Found where they hid the player file, is there a version of Terraria Viewer for 1.1.2?

Edit: Found what I needed, Metroid gimmick run is as much fun as I was expecting it to be.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 27, 2013

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Oh man, that baby snowman pet :3.

I kind of lost track of time and now half of my jungle biome is run over by crimson :(.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Went into Hardmode Jungle to try finding some chlorophyte. Forgot what I was doing, died. Respawned in my underground house, start heading up to the surface to the nurse.

"A Solar Eclipse Is Happening"

I die before I get to the nurse, Nurse dies before I respawn. I say gently caress it, break my bed, and mirror to original spawn, where I had set up a platform and bonfire to deal with goblin invasions.

"Pirates are invading from the west!"

:suicide:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there a trick to making a sky castle and also not being assaulted by wyverns? Is it just to fill the castle with NPCs or is there another trick?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Verviticus posted:

Is there a trick to making a sky castle and also not being assaulted by wyverns? Is it just to fill the castle with NPCs or is there another trick?

If I recall, the trick is to find an altitude below the wyvern spawn height but still in the air. I haven't gotten that far in my own world yet, so I can't say for certain.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

That's what I did.

Sadly it shits itself immediately:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If I recall, the trick is to find an altitude below the wyvern spawn height but still in the air. I haven't gotten that far in my own world yet, so I can't say for certain.

Yeah, I just kind of wanted a space castle :(

Oh well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Straight off the Wiki (Here)

Based off World Size the minimum spawn heights are:
Small 360ft
Medium 640ft
Large 850ft

My own house which reaches up into the 550ish on Medium hasn't ever seen a Wyvern, so all that should be decently accurate.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

genericnick posted:

That's what I did.

Sadly it shits itself immediately:

Yep. That's because stairs will duplicate liquids at a ridiculous rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-lBDCNDNZw

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

Rynoto posted:

Straight off the Wiki (Here)

Based off World Size the minimum spawn heights are:
Small 360ft
Medium 640ft
Large 850ft

My own house which reaches up into the 550ish on Medium hasn't ever seen a Wyvern, so all that should be decently accurate.

I built my castle on a really low floating island. Haven't checked the altitude but i only get harpies/wyverns when go to the roof. They don't seem to spawn when I'm inside, even though it's high enough for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So my friend is gone now and I wanna get into Terraria again to enjoy all this Halloween stuff. Any suggestions for building a house that looks better than rectangles stacked on top of each other?

I'm just gonna be using all my hardmode stuff to speed it up, by the way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RareAcumen posted:

So my friend is gone now and I wanna get into Terraria again to enjoy all this Halloween stuff. Any suggestions for building a house that looks better than rectangles stacked on top of each other?

The easiest beautification measure is curved roofs.

Use segments of circles as desired.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man, Actuators are the neatest loving thing. I love that I can make zombie-proof, supermarket-style doors with basically three actuators, two pressure plates, and whatever block looks good.

I'm using them on every exterior door now.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

RareAcumen posted:

The easiest way to force myself into more-creative layouts is to build into naturally-existing ground formations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

shymog posted:

The easiest way to force myself into more-creative layouts is to build into naturally-existing ground formations.

My problem is both a lack of creativity and no thought put into decoration afterwards. :shobon:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You don't have to have it planned out from the very beginning. I mean, if you have a plan, that's great. But I find that I like building organically.

I started out all rectangles, gray brick and stone walls. My crafting area was kind of cool but really no decorations to speak of. I just kind of built up and decorated and replaced things/entire rooms as I went. It's not a masterpiece like you see in here but it has that certain something that makes it feel like home.

Also, I don't play this all that much so I just got to hard mode for the first time. The Wall of Flesh fight was not what I expected, it was very easy. I had built up a highway maybe a little over halfway on a small map. I took it on with a space gun, demon scythe (I got lucky), and meteor armor. Ironskin and soup. No crazy mods or accessories really.

Probably gonna get owned now since I kind of did that on a whim and didn't really prepare for hard mode :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Best way to decorate is just adding huge-rear end windows for no real reason. :v:

Also this game has brought out my inner :spergin: because I can't stop making everything symmetrical :negative:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I really wish the ruler actually had a functon where it would measure how many blocks were between 2 or more points, so I could find the center of an area easier (and then dig a hellevator through it)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, Actuators are the neatest loving thing. I love that I can make zombie-proof, supermarket-style doors with basically three actuators, two pressure plates, and whatever block looks good.

I'm using them on every exterior door now.

Can you show a picture of the wiring/setup? How do you use pressure plates without mobs stepping on them?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

padijun posted:

Can you show a picture of the wiring/setup? How do you use pressure plates without mobs stepping on them?
Use the pressure plates that only activate when a player steps on them.

A pressure plate on each side of a wall, 3 actuators in the wall, wire them all together.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

padijun posted:

There's a pressure plate that only activated when the player steps on it. Gray I think?

efb

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Made it to wave 14 with a Melee setup and trap arena. Turtle armor with a godly paladin hammer and vampire knives worked fairly well. The accessories had the Menacing affix but were otherwise super-defensive so I could use the hammer as much as possible: Black Belt, Master Ninja Gear, Paladin Shield, and a Cross Necklace. And specter wings for mobility. When the dodge activates on the black belt or master ninja gear, it gives you an extended window of invulnerability as well. The cross necklace extends it even further, giving you like 5 seconds of invulnerability when you dodge. It's kind of ridiculous.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Oh man, that baby snowman pet :3.

I kind of lost track of time and now half of my jungle biome is run over by crimson :(.

Yeah, same thing has happened to my jungle and it's the worst. It's irreparable since all the mud within range of crimstone becomes dirt over time from its spreading effects, effectively destroying the jungle. Really need a Clentaminator solution that turns crimson/corruption/hallow stone types back to regular stone and converts dirt to mud.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kumquat posted:

There's a pressure plate that only activated when the player steps on it. Gray I think?

efb

Both brown and grey(the ones found in traps) only activate when a player steps on them. The Mechanic has a bunch of plates to choose from anyway.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The 'enemies only' pressure plate makes trapped bases / arenas a lot safer.

Do you guys ever buy wire, or just go to a new pre-hardmode world and strip the dungeon bare when you run out?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I stripped the dungeon bare once I got the Mechanic. The wire lasted long enough that by the time I needed more I had enough money that buying it wasn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The 'enemies only' pressure plate makes trapped bases / arenas a lot safer.

Do you guys ever buy wire, or just go to a new pre-hardmode world and strip the dungeon bare when you run out?

Stripping dungeons isn't enough wire to make a series of teleporters to the far parts of the world. And buying all the wire needed made me realize that is it pretty drat expensive.

• Locked thread