Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is the main character properly called Guts, or Gatts? I haven't seen the Japanese or official translation yet. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Guts.

New question, does anybody have a firm release date on the third movie's english release? Second one came out in August but I haven't seen anything but rumours on when the third is due.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Has there been any confirmations yet of movies after the third? This is much more important.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Anatharon posted:

Is the main character properly called Guts, or Gatts? I haven't seen the Japanese or official translation yet. :shobon:

I always assumed he was named after how he was found as a newborn: in the spilled guts of his mother, who was dangling above in the lynching tree. :unsmigghh:

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Literally Kermit posted:

I always assumed he was named after how he was found as a newborn: in the spilled guts of his mother, who was dangling above in the lynching tree. :unsmigghh:

I've been following this for years, and your simple observation never occurred to me. I'm sad for all the right reasons now.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It's Gattsu and Gurifisu and if that pleb Miura wants to mangle their translation (ugh) as something else then I guess as the author he gets to.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

megalodong posted:

It's Gattsu and Gurifisu and if that pleb Miura wants to mangle their translation (ugh) as something else then I guess as the author he gets to.

I still don't understand why the scanlators bitched about that. I mean...why would you use a very Engrishy name in favor of one that is actually pronounceable and makes sense for the setting?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doublehex posted:

I still don't understand why the scanlators bitched about that. I mean...why would you use a very Engrishy name in favor of one that is actually pronounceable and makes sense for the setting?

Because glorious nippon :japan: (or something)

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I hate seeing this thread bumped, it is a fairly regular source of disappointment when I get excited that there may have been a new chapter released only to see that its just the usual chatter...

Honestly, I wouldn't be too amazed if the next time I check it, its only to find news that Miura has been found dead in his studio or something. Hunched over his desk with a half drawn picture of the fairy kingdom... The island is fully shown but the boat is incomplete. Guts and the cast are unfinished, having never actually made it to the island. :smith:

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
At this point I think a year long break is probably going to become the reality. Last release was around Christmas last year, so it's getting pretty close. I hope he's worked enough that when it does come back we get a decent amount of releases before another break. I'm not going to hold my breath on that, though.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
E: never mind.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Chapter 333 came out in January, actually. It's only been ten months, there's still hope (there's no hope). :shobon:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

Chapter 333 came out in January, actually. It's only been ten months, there's still hope (there's no hope). :shobon:

In Germany they recently started a second re-release of the Manga, just because the first release ran out of material after the 37th volume. Now I kind of want to see what finishes first: The next new chapter or the second re-release of the series. The re-release has already reached volume 18 again, so get on with it, Miura!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think the speculation is that he's either working pretty far ahead so that chapters can get released in a more timely manner as work continues (for the sake of Young Animal and the movies perhaps) or could be helping out in some smaller way with future OVA's\films, approving changes and things not unlike what he did for the original anime.

Kind of hoping it's both because after watching the second movie I'm still absolutely baffled as to why they thought ballroom dancing was a better scene than the Bonfire of Dreams sequence. :psyduck:

The dub is still really good though - Mike Pollock still loving owns as Adon.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome Welles posted:

I think the speculation is that he's either working pretty far ahead so that chapters can get released in a more timely manner as work continues (for the sake of Young Animal and the movies perhaps) or could be helping out in some smaller way with future OVA's\films, approving changes and things not unlike what he did for the original anime.

Kind of hoping it's both because after watching the second movie I'm still absolutely baffled as to why they thought ballroom dancing was a better scene than the Bonfire of Dreams sequence. :psyduck:

The dub is still really good though - Mike Pollock still loving owns as Adon.

Yeah, the right word for those movies is indeed baffling. I really have no idea why they chose to depict the stuff they did so I just chalk it up to cultural differences or executive meddling. It is really weird.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Doublehex posted:

I still don't understand why the scanlators bitched about that.
Haha, they actually complained about what the loving author decided their names should be?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Woebin posted:

Haha, they actually complained about what the loving author decided their names should be?

In this case it's ridiculous but sometimes authors don't speak very good English and "official" names are horrible and Engrishy. Bleach and Attack on Titan(the name of the manga itself, not the characters) are good examples.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

This is probably a long shot but I figure I'll try. I watched the three Berserk movies and was pretty surprised by the last one. I enjoyed the first two and the eclipse scene from the third one basically blew my mind. It was probably one of the most disturbing things I've seen on a screen and it kind of put me in a daze for the rest of the day. Reminded me of the first time I read (song of ice and fire book 3 spoiler) the red wedding. I had NO IDEA it was coming.

I don't watch a lot of anime, really just Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon(love this guy's stuff) and Akira, but I was wondering if there is anything else out there similar to Berserk in terms of adult themes, violence and a blasé approach to nudity. I looked at the ADTRW wiki and watched a few of the recommendations from the list but none of them have really grabbed me so I thought I would ask here. I'm not really interested in manga. A movie would be better than a TV show but I'll take what I can get. Thanks!

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 28, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Well, for starters I suppose there's the Berserk anime TV series, which covers up until the Eclipse. There's a few manga I could reccomend that are similar to Berserk but I can't really think of any anime that come close to it. If you're more just looking for "grown-up" anime in general, then I guess it varies a lot. Something like RAINBOW might be up your avenue. Otherwise stuff like legend of the galactic heroes, Monster or Hellsing Ultimate are all "adult" in different ways.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Claymore is pretty much Berserk with powerlevels (kinda) and women protagonists. It's definitely more shounen than Berserk. There's an anime of it but I only read the manga.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I always tell people to watch Kemonozume after Berserk, partly as a joke because it has all the things they ask for but probably not in the context or proportions they were imagining. But hey, if you like Satoshi Kon's surreal style Masaaki Yuasa's work might appeal to you too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should probably just try watching the TV series, it covers the same story as the movies only much better paced, but it's still not really a substitute for the manga. Be warned though, it's 15 years old now and the animation wasn't amazing even when it was new, although it officially has one of the top five best anime soundtracks ever, which makes up for a lot.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A whole bunch of new posts? Surely Miura must have a new chapter out, or at least some news about somet-- :suicide:

Actual content: Claymore is baby's first Berserk. It's not bad, but it's primarily childish shounen stuff. If you want something mature (as in actually mature writing and not just "tits and gore everywhere") I'd read Monster or early Battle Angel Alita. A lot of people suggest Vinland Saga but I haven't read that yet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

You should probably just try watching the TV series, it covers the same story as the movies only much better paced,

Yeah, no. The show had the pacing of an arthritis riddled grandma. After having had hip surgery.

Though the movies do cut a shitload of stuff, the stuff they kept is paced pretty much perfectly, hell I wouldn't have minded if they'd sped up some parts either. Manga is still the best pacing wise and story wise, though, so whatever.

For recommendations I'm not too sure, but I suppose Basilisk, Hellsing and Guin Saga are as good a place to start as any.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Be warned though, it's 15 years old now and the animation wasn't amazing even when it was new, although it officially has one of the top five best anime soundtracks ever, which makes up for a lot.

There are Blu-ray rips floating around and they surprisingly give the animation a big bump in quality that makes it far more watchable. It's a shame it probably won't be released outside Japan, because the DVD's haven't aged well.

Soulcleaver posted:

I'd read Monster

Monster is spectacular, but good luck finding the TV show online without resorting to :filez:, because it's no longer on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix or anything else. :smith:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Awesome Welles posted:

Monster is spectacular, but good luck finding the TV show online without resorting to :filez:, because it's no longer on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix or anything else. :smith:
And the DVDs cost a shitload on Amazon, too. I only read the manga, though, so let's hope for a re-release of the animated version.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soulcleaver posted:

And the DVDs cost a shitload on Amazon, too. I only read the manga, though, so let's hope for a re-release of the animated version.

Or maybe that rumoured HBO series based on the manga will actually be good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

A lot of people suggest Vinland Saga

And for a good reason!

Soulcleaver posted:

but I haven't read that yet.

Daaamn.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Awesome Welles posted:

And they never released the entire series on DVD :bravo:

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Shin Angyo Onshi is Korea's answer to Berserk and is well worth reading. It's even complete at 81 chapters so you won't be stuck in purgatory.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

trucutru posted:

And for a good reason!

Daaamn.
Alright, I'll add it next to the list to relieve some of the Berserk blue balls.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

I remember reading (and thinking) about how loving badly Viz Media botched releasing it. They put it on SyFy of all channels IIRC, dubbed the whole loving thing (no small feat at something like 60 or 80 episodes or some poo poo) and barely promoted it or marketed it in any real way and when, shockingly, no one buys the first DVD release because no one knows what the gently caress it is they go "welp," and pull the plug entirely, making it literally impossible to watch the series without pirating it as it now isn't even loving available on Amazon Prime to purchase. e: wait nm, the website says it can still be purchased on iTunes only? Why bother removing it from Prime or the other services. :psyduck:

:bravo:, indeed. They could have pulled a Cowboy Bebop and gotten people interested who otherwise wouldn't be but, hey, Viz Media and all that.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 29, 2013

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
When I checked for new replies on this thread, I thought "Wowzers! Miura finally released a chapter!"

I am so disappointed :/

I really hope he is just doing a huge image dump when 2014 starts to make up for the loss time.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
http://gematsu.com/2013/09/new-idolmaster-announced-for-playstation-3

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get that next chapter soon. :dance:

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Note: Guts died on the way back to elf island

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dark Hourse are finally doing a reprint. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/30/dark-horse-to-reprint-all-volumes-of-berserk-manga

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is good news. I had to stop buying volumes because the ones that were left were being marked up to absurd levels. I might actually be able to finish my collection now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Undead Unicorn posted:

My buddy has the whole set on dvd which I watched. It was about 6-10 discs if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

My buddy has the whole set on dvd which I watched. It was about 6-10 discs if I remember correctly.

Were they rips from iTunes\Amazon? Because the series definitely hasn't had a full release in North America, only the first volume.