Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zonekeeper posted:

:stare: Why the gently caress haven't I heard of these? I love offest bodies.

Too bad they don't seem to be a common design. The chances of finding a cheap one are nonexistant.

You're looking at a cheap one. You can also buy the parts and have a trusted luthier put it together (or put one together yourself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Zonekeeper posted:

Too bad they don't seem to be a common design. The chances of finding a cheap one are nonexistant.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT90-Offset-Hybrid-guitar-GFS-Pickups-Vintage-Cream-Alder-Body_p_1112.html

Seems pretty cheap, if you live in the US.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Warcabbit posted:

Telemaster. Offsets are so comfortable to play sitting. And so light.

Look at that blond. Just sitting there. Once I had love, and it was a gas... o/`

I've been GASing for an offset all year. I'm pretty sure I'll have an Agile Valkyrie by New Year's. I need a 70s style bucker guitar to complement the Epicaster, since my AL2K has turned into a modern Pointy Guitar In Spirit project.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Zonekeeper posted:

Aw, you guys told him. (People still think Trouble is a $3K guitar when they play him.) Trust me, go for the Xaviere offsets over the Agile ones. Better pickups, good body design, and some pretty snappy colors.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT-Series-Offset-Electric-Guitars_c_208.html
Comes in P90 with a Mustang Trem, Humbucker with a Strat Trem, and my Telemaster minihumbucker/telecaster hardtail. Fun fact: The tele bridges it comes with can be strung through-body or hardtail style.

C'mon, Clitch, don't you want to get your Sonic Youth on?

Edit: Woah, one's in the Clearance Rack.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT60-Twin-Humbuckers-Black-Alder-Body--Blem_p_4078.html

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 26, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Too bad there only seems to be one color available with the Tele bridge. And on backorder to boot. I'm not feeling the cream/tort combo on that one.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Warcabbit posted:

C'mon, Clitch, don't you want to get your Sonic Youth on?

I'd love a Xaviere. I'd absolutely love to also be a right-handed guitar player. It would make my life so much easier. I could walk into a guitar store, and pick up something other than an oly white strat, and a black LP. That's what I get for thirty years of left-hand dominance, before I picked up a guitar.

But I think I would be happy enough running this guy through a fuzz pedal. You know I'm probably going to throw GFS pups in it, anyway. I still haven't done the P90 neck + split on the bridge bucker setup, yet.

:cry:Oh God, I have a problem!:cry:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Today I saw an old guy playing a Strat with lace sensors, he was playing 60s hits and it sounded so surf it was amazing, I kinda wanted it, then I realized I have never played surf. That and it was red.. v:v:v

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Surf rules. The sea is calling to you, get your reverb on

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

RillAkBea posted:

That and it was red.. v:v:v
Gross.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

All I want is a red guitar, 3 chords and the truth.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Exactly.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Which Xaviere has the mustang trem?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

comes along bort posted:

Aw, it's not that complicated. In the 12-TET system since the octave is subdivided equally into 12 pitches with the upper note of the octave being exactly twice the frequency of the lower, the distance between frets is a function of the specific element within that set of 12 (i.e. the fret number) and the 12th root of 2, which is the frequency ratio of semitones in equal temperament, i.e. A=440hz (concert pitch), A#/Bb~466.16hz (440*(2^1/12))), B~493.88hz (440*(2^(2/12))), etc. etc.

To find a specific fret distance you take the scale length and divide it by 2 to the power of the fret number divided by 12, or

S/2^(F/12)) where S=scale length and F=fret number

On a regular strat with a 25.5" scale the distance from the bridge to the 1st fret would be 25.5/2^(1/12)) or roughly 24.0688"

To get the distance from bridge to second fret it'd be 25.5/2^(2/12) or roughly 22.7179" and so on for the rest of the frets.

There's also a quick and dirty method of dividing by 17.something or other, but gently caress that.

Yeah but then you go hmm why does this major chord sound bad, what's a third, hmm just intonation eh, this looks simple enough... waaaaaait a minute

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but then you go hmm why does this major chord sound bad, what's a third, hmm just intonation eh, this looks simple enough... waaaaaait a minute

Well the alternative is... ehhhh, no thanks.

:pwn:

I'll keep my awful straight lines for now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

Well the alternative is... ehhhh, no thanks.

:pwn:

I'll keep my awful straight lines for now.

You can just, you know, get a compensated nut and bridge

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey that's the easy mode version

Really I'm just remembering when I was explaining to someone how the notes we use all come from simple ratios, and then I started looking for some detail and oh god what's happening wolf fifths five-limit tuning what's happening nooo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCwMW48FO4

Hmm........

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

You can just, you know, get a compensated nut and bridge

Or use vibrato.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Clitch posted:

I'd love a Xaviere. I'd absolutely love to also be a right-handed guitar player. It would make my life so much easier. I could walk into a guitar store, and pick up something other than an oly white strat, and a black LP. That's what I get for thirty years of left-hand dominance, before I picked up a guitar.

Let me not help you at all!
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm
This is the best left handed guitar store I know of.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

baka kaba posted:

Screw just intonation, it's all about pythagorean tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PxPee01_k

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

IT HAS BEGUN

Operation Kaoss commenced today at roughly 1530 EST. For those who haven't seen my posts about it in the past, I'm finally installing a touch pad controller in one of my son's guitars. It will remotely control a Korg Kaoss Pad (KP2) and allow him to show Matthew Bellamy how music is really made.

i really want one of those mansons

The victim is an innocent (and really cheap) Epi LP Special I with some amazingly good P90's in it:

(edit - upon closer inspection, this is not the right picture. Imagine it's more like the one below.)

What do we do with a perfectly good guitar? We disassemble it and carve giant holes in it, of course:

It's a little sloppy - a trim router is NOT the right tool for this much wood removal - but all is forgiven when the touch pad and trim ring are in place:

The next steps involve drilling holes for the MIDI jack and the other new controls as well as finding a place to stuff a 9V battery. I'll either make a second control cavity on the back or expand the existing one, still doing some mental engineering there. I fully intend to get this together and working in the next couple of days barring any unforeseen technical issues. More pics to follow as progress is made!

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 26, 2013

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Oh goddamnit. Today I noticed a rattling sound coming from the neck of my like two month old Les Paul when I shake it. I guess that could only be one thing right? If I'm right and that's the truss rod oh loving poo poo. It should be a warranty thing since I didn't do poo poo, but I really like this top.

edit: Oh sweet christ on a stick. It appears it's just one of the... metal things on one of the tuners and needed a bit of a tightening. I was freaking out here.

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 27, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If you'd blown the rod, odds are, you'd know it in a big way.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Found out something cool: If you want to block a Strat trem cheaply and you don't have access to someone that can cut a piece of wood for you, just tape together a few stacks of pennies and wedge them in there. 10 minutes and 33 cents later I have a hardtailed Strat.

On the plus side, this means I no longer need another guitar! :v:

Admit it, you'll get a Tele at some point. You're just delaying the inevitable.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Rondo has a pretty awesome sale going on, for you guys looking for cheap starter guitars.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Rondo has a pretty awesome sale going on, for you guys looking for cheap starter guitars.

Or for people looking to experiment with baritone guitars and 7 strings.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
amp chat in the guitar thread, but holy hell. I just played an 80s Roland Jazz Chorus. Thing sounded GREAT. The GC wanted about 300 bucks more than what they're going for on eBay so I didn't leave home with it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I always wanted to get hold of one of those Roland preamps Greg Ginn used.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

That reminds me, what was the delay east bay ray used?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

amp chat in the guitar thread, but holy hell. I just played an 80s Roland Jazz Chorus. Thing sounded GREAT. The GC wanted about 300 bucks more than what they're going for on eBay so I didn't leave home with it.

Have you played an old Twin?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

That reminds me, what was the delay east bay ray used?

I remember reading ages ago it was an echoplex.

e: you can kinda barely see it in this video sitting on top of an Ibanez rack effects unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rrye5BEMe4

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 27, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You can find em on Craigslist for 3-500

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

I remember reading ages ago it was an echoplex.

Man that delay sounds so good but gently caress paying vintage prices for one. My buddy offered me a hand built delay that sounds similar in return for rewiring his strat to whatever he wants. I want him to put the most hosed up pickup config in his guitar, like mini-hum, lipstick, p-90. I think that would be fun to put together. I'll take him up on that offer though.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
$450 for one in Pittsburgh right now. I've kinda thought about trying to talk this one down to around $400.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/4137570126.html

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

Have you played an old Twin?

Nope. Mississippi is a wasteland of Peavey Raptors and Epiphone Gibson Les Pauls.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

comes along bort posted:

That's a pretty interesting piece of gear, never heard of it before, cheers!

While we're on punkchat, I've always wondered whats up with the guitar sound on Zen Arcade. It sounds like there's a little bit of flange or phaser running most of the time, or is it from something like recording 2 amps at different distances or what? I really like the sound of it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure Bob Mould just used an MXR Distortion+ into various Fenders. There might have been phase issues from amp/mic placement though.

Incidentally that's sorta how Johnny Marr got that delayed tremolo effect on How Soon Is Now, by reamping the signal through several Twin Reverbs facing each other.

My favorite one weird guitar trick discovered by a mom the government doesn't want you to know about is Colin Richardson duct-taping two Marshall cabs together front to back to get the tone on Carcass' Heartwork. Another fun fact about that album: no click track.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 28, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

My favorite one weird guitar trick discovered by a mom the government doesn't want you to know about is Colin Richardson duct-taping two Marshall cabs together front to back to get the tone on Carcass' Heartwork. Another fun fact about that album: no click track.

No loving way, what? For some dumb reason back in the day I got into slaughter way more than I did heartwork but now that I give it a shot I fuckin love heartwork and it's tied with slaughter in my mind. Anyway that's how they got the tone on that album? Weird.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah no kidding. Apparently they got the idea because someone told them that Metallica taped two kick drum shells together on the black album.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Another recording thing I heard about : on kreator's new albums they recorded it by playing together in a recording studio like it's a regular band practice and then just editing all the takes together into the production album. For me that's the most awesome way to record an album and I love them for it. By the way, Demon Prince is a cool song, go listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4RSUzb0hc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

comes along bort posted:

Haha what, that rules. Heartwork has been a favorite of mine for years. It was so before it's time and really creative when you dig into it. That's just one more thing that cements it as a rad as hell guitar album.