Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you buy a coolpix a over the GR? It doesn't seem like you get much/anything for the extra money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So the RX10. I guess Sony didn't want to compete with x100(s), so they decided to make the nicest possible bridge camera? I'm curious as to if they can pull off good center sharpness at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Still though, I'd really have preferred something like an RX100 with a fixed lens, maybe trade the zoom for a larger sensor.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

So buy a Ricoh.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

powderific posted:

Why would you buy a coolpix a over the GR? It doesn't seem like you get much/anything for the extra money.

In fact, having held both, the Coolpix feels significantly cheaper and hollow, while the GR has great controls, a better grip, and feels really well made. I think it's a tremendously well thought out camera.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

moonduck posted:

In fact, having held both, the Coolpix feels significantly cheaper and hollow, while the GR has great controls, a better grip, and feels really well made. I think it's a tremendously well thought out camera.

Agreed. The GR feels extremely solid and everything seems well thought-out.

As to the above, yeah - if you're looking for a prime RX100 (I assume that's what you meant since it's a fixed-lens camera already) I'd go for the GR. Given the issues I've had with the RX100, as much as I love it, I'm thinking about switching. Shame that the GR seems to do video so poorly, though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What issues have you had with the RX100? Mine's been great but I've also been thinking about a gr as I almost always shoot at the widest zoom setting.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

powderific posted:

What issues have you had with the RX100? Mine's been great but I've also been thinking about a gr as I almost always shoot at the widest zoom setting.
That's the main reason I've considered a GR and was hoping for something else out of the RX10 - I used it at 28mm f/2 a lot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I used mine a lot, but now I have a good amount of dust, and the electronic control ring on the front has mostly stopped working. I never liked it for focus, so I'd switched it to controlling ISO and used AF - but now I remapped ISO to the right button on the back.

Anyway, I still like it, I just feel like the GR is better built (and like so many, I used it at 28 almost exclusively anyway).

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Hi I'm considering my first camera and the Canon S110 seems like a good place to start. Basically of the ones on ebay the ones from Hong kong are significantly cheaper, being an innately suspicious person I was worried they might not be the real deal/substandard. I'm probably just paranoid.

Example.

Seem legit?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
With VAT at 20% that puts the price at around £200 which is still pretty low.

"We do not promise but we try our best to reduce your tax or duty upon buyer's request"

I might go for it.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's cheaper because they don't charge VAT and hope it gets past customs unnoticed. When customs do intercept it you're on the hook for VAT and associated administrative costs and it probably more expensive than buying it locally. Go for it if you feel like gambling / cheating taxes.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I dropped my Powershot S95 at a party and the lens got kinda stuck in the out position. I had to push the lens back in manually so that I could put it away, but now the lens won't come out at all. When I turn the camera on, it makes a pained whiring sound and then says 'lens error, will shut down automatically' on the display.

This thing is way out of warranty, and apparently the going rate for an out-of-warranty repair is $169. I'd really rather not spend that sort of money on a three year old camera. It also seems that this error is common on the S series.

Has anyone had this same problem with a Powershot S camera? If so, has anyone attempted a DIY repair? I suspect it might just be something that's slipped out of place in the lens mechanism, but I'm scared to open the camera up to check it out.

munchy box
Dec 28, 2010
I am going to South America soon and need a camera for this and also random other uses i.e. when out cycling / skiing. I also know next to nothing about photography. I really like the look of the Panasonic LM7, but feel that either the S110 or Panasonic TZ40 may be a wiser choice, size-wize.

My main reason for wanting the LM7 is a possibly misguided idea that the two 'smaller' cameras won't be as good at capturing pictures of wide outdoor spaces, and I'd really like to come back with some fantastic photos. On the other hand, I do accept that the LM7 may be overkill considering it isnt likely to leave the 'auto' setting at this stage.

Can any of you fine folk persuade me that the smaller cameras will be fine for my needs, or alternatively that the LM7 is worth the extra bulk in the long run? Please feel free to suggest alternatives - my budget is £300 at an absolute maximum, so no RX100 for me!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

moron posted:

I dropped my Powershot S95 at a party and the lens got kinda stuck in the out position. I had to push the lens back in manually so that I could put it away, but now the lens won't come out at all. When I turn the camera on, it makes a pained whiring sound and then says 'lens error, will shut down automatically' on the display.

This thing is way out of warranty, and apparently the going rate for an out-of-warranty repair is $169. I'd really rather not spend that sort of money on a three year old camera. It also seems that this error is common on the S series.

Has anyone had this same problem with a Powershot S camera? If so, has anyone attempted a DIY repair? I suspect it might just be something that's slipped out of place in the lens mechanism, but I'm scared to open the camera up to check it out.

The camera is borked. I've seen that happen to quite a few cameras. They never recover and the repair is more than the cost of the camera. Get in on the Canon Loyalty Program and see what you can get discounts on.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

The camera is borked. I've seen that happen to quite a few cameras. They never recover and the repair is more than the cost of the camera. Get in on the Canon Loyalty Program and see what you can get discounts on.

poo poo, that's what I was scared of.

Does anyone know if Canon Canada has a loyalty program? Googling doesn't really give me much info.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

So the RX10. I guess Sony didn't want to compete with x100(s), so they decided to make the nicest possible bridge camera? I'm curious as to if they can pull off good center sharpness at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Still though, I'd really have preferred something like an RX100 with a fixed lens, maybe trade the zoom for a larger sensor.

Fuji has already made a few generations of this kind of expensive "super P&S", from S100fs to XS-1. Both are 2/3" sensor. These kind of stuff doesn't really sell. Thats why Fuji hasn't refreshed the XS-1 in a while.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it over the cheaper Canon SX50 either.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just played with the Ricoh GR today. Man it's super sexy. and pricey too.

munchy box posted:

Can any of you fine folk persuade me that the smaller cameras will be fine for my needs, or alternatively that the LM7 is worth the extra bulk in the long run? Please feel free to suggest alternatives - my budget is £300 at an absolute maximum, so no RX100 for me!

Your limit is not your camera budget or gear, but your skill :downsrim: Get a mini tripod, get creative with composition, and expose your shots properly. Wide angle shots are hard, it's not just capture as much as possible or take 60 pictures and auto stitch them. And if you are taking wide angle landscape shots, light should not be that big of a deal so you don't need the cream of the crop.

People have been using lovely cameras for ages but can still take amazing pictures. Not to go all Krock, but point and shoot nowadays are really really good. I'm no photo master, I just spend more money to make up for my lack of skill. I'm sure you will have a blast in South America, keep on snapping!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
All my shots come out really fuzzy and I'm wondering whether it's me, the autofocus is not adjusted right, or just the general limitations of the camera and I need to adjust my expectations. This is with a Canon SX50 and I haven't done anything to calibrate anything, if that is even possible.

All lines that I think should be sharp are fuzzy. It could also be the JPG artifacting and maybe it would go away if I'd use RAW - then again RAW is so horribly slow on this camera. So with shooting in JPG is this as good as it gets?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hey santa baby posted:

All my shots come out really fuzzy and I'm wondering whether it's me, the autofocus is not adjusted right, or just the general limitations of the camera and I need to adjust my expectations. This is with a Canon SX50 and I haven't done anything to calibrate anything, if that is even possible.

All lines that I think should be sharp are fuzzy. It could also be the JPG artifacting and maybe it would go away if I'd use RAW - then again RAW is so horribly slow on this camera. So with shooting in JPG is this as good as it gets?

Is this at max zoom? Are you shooting on a tripod?

It has image stabilization but shooting telephoto without a tripod is really hard to do and not get some unintentional image blurring.

Also, I'd wager part of it is just the limitations of the camera/lens. I have no idea how far away your bird is, but as an example, here's a dpreview shot of a building at max zoom (click on the 'full telephoto' picture):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs

It exhibits much of the same issues as your bird pic.

Shooting raw would help, but likely only if your issues were being caused by aggressive in-camera noise reduction - an issue if you're shooting at higher ISOs. I don't think that's the culprit, here.

EDIT: then again - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs/6 the noise reduction is pretty big.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 12, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sure reminds me of my compact cameras, one of which got nicknamed "fuzzy".

Raw will help a bit, if you have it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Do you have 'digital zoom' turned on?

If so, turn it off - it's just cropping the picture to make it seem bigger than it is, at the cost of dreadful quality.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
No digital zoom -- that was the first thing I turned off.

Thanks for the dpreview links. The softness at high zoom is rather similar, so I'm guessing that's what I have to live with. The bird was across a parking lot, maybe 70 feet, but I did use full zoom.

No tripod, but I used Tv mode and 1/1000 (iirc -- no slower than 1/800) and that is usually fast enough for shaky hands.

I tend to use relatively high ISO numbers because in a shot like that if I don't, I don't get any detail in the bird. It'll be a black silhouette against an average brightness sky. I think there are some settings in the camera that let me adjust brightness in different ways, but I have yet to fully understand this.

Also the raw/jpeg comparison is interesting. Right now I use jpeg because I can just lean on the shutter and hope the bird sits long enough so that one of the 4-5 images comes out OK. In RAW I'd get in one shot in the same time.

Curiously enough, if I'm desperate and set the camera to ISO 2000, shooting gets as slow as if it was RAW. Does more noise reduction need more time to process? Maybe there's a NR setting that can be dialed back, I have to check.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, more NR could slow it down. It might be doing some of that funky multiple frame NR stuff I've seen, but I thought it was only used it really dark scenes.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

My girlfriend wants a camera that's a bit more than a tiny point & shoot but at a super budget price. She's looking to spend in the neighborhood of 150 euros. It's a tall order, I know, but I wonder if the Canon SX160 fits the bill. It's 110 euros on Amazon and the reviews seem to say it's not that great but that for the price you can't complain. Any ideas, guys? Or something else in that range? She also wants the camera to be a bit hefty - she doesn't like the super compact cameras.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

eviljelly posted:

My girlfriend wants a camera that's a bit more than a tiny point & shoot but at a super budget price. She's looking to spend in the neighborhood of 150 euros. It's a tall order, I know, but I wonder if the Canon SX160 fits the bill. It's 110 euros on Amazon and the reviews seem to say it's not that great but that for the price you can't complain. Any ideas, guys? Or something else in that range? She also wants the camera to be a bit hefty - she doesn't like the super compact cameras.

Maybe try looking for a canon s100 or s110 used? They're still compact, but they're more robustly built.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

eviljelly posted:

What about a Canon SX260HS - it's 170 euros on Amazon.de, got the same myself, and it's quite good.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks, we'll look into those, although the S100 and S110 are definitely out of our price range, even used.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A

eviljelly posted:

Thanks, we'll look into those, although the S100 and S110 are definitely out of our price range, even used.
Tried to send you a PM so as to not clutter up the thread, but your inbox is full or something. Anyway, I have a year-old lightly used S100 that I don't need since I hate shooting through a screen instead of using a viewfinder of some sort. The camera would ship from Finland. If you're interested just let me know and I'll post in the proper thread with proper information and proper photos.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided it's finally time to buy a smaller backup camera for days when I'm to busy or lazy to lug around a huge DSLR and selection of lenses as well as to give me something to shoot snapshots with when using film. Looking through the last years photos with my girlfriend I realized how much stuff that happened in the last year that I missed because I couldn't be bothered carrying around a whole bag of gear. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a compact in the past but I've always been put off by the need to compromise with tiny sensors, crappy lenses and limited manual control but things seem to have improved since I last looked a couple years ago.

My budget is around about £300-£400 and so far I've narrowed down my choices to three possibilities: the Sony RX100, the Fuji X20 and the Olympus XZ-2. I'm leaning towards the RX100 but I'd be curious to see what other people think and whether there are any other cameras I should be considering. My biggest needs are portability, decent low-light performance and decent image quality. Something that can offer halfway shallow depth of field would be a plus too since that's the biggest thing that I'd miss about not having a DSLR with me and most of the compacts I've shot with might as well have been pinhole cameras.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have an Oly XZ-1 and have loved it to take along on business trips when I want to get a few quick shots in if possible. It's f/2.5 on the long end, which is awesome as hell in helping keep shutter speeds up. I believe the XZ-2 is the same.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009
Looking at asking my parents for a camera for christmas, weighing between getting a P&S or upgrading my super old hand-me-down DSLR body (D70). I'm leaning towards a P&S given the portability at this point, but wanted to get your guys' opinion. Is the RX100 / mk2 still the way to go? From a P&S standpoint price probably isn't much of an issue, but will play in if I upgraded DSLR (can probably finagle up to like a grand).

/e I've decided given my lifestyle for the next year, P&S is the way to go, so forget the DSLR upgrade and I'll just sit all that aside some more until my father in law gives me one of his current cameras when he invariably upgrades again

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Also consider taking a look in the EVIL/mirrorless thread for options? DSLR quality but in a smaller package.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

DJExile posted:

I have an Oly XZ-1 and have loved it to take along on business trips when I want to get a few quick shots in if possible. It's f/2.5 on the long end, which is awesome as hell in helping keep shutter speeds up. I believe the XZ-2 is the same.

And how is it for portability? One of the main things drawing me towards the RX100 is the fact that it's pocketable but the fact that it's 4.9 at the long end compared with 2.5 and 2.8 on the XZ-2 and X20 is definitely a concern.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

And how is it for portability? One of the main things drawing me towards the RX100 is the fact that it's pocketable but the fact that it's 4.9 at the long end compared with 2.5 and 2.8 on the XZ-2 and X20 is definitely a concern.

It'll fit any coat pocket fine. Pants pockets are usually good too but a bit tight sometimes. The lens is so big it requires a cap.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help on a camera for a pretty specific situation. I work in a cocktail bar, making all sorts of different drinks. It's not uncommon that people will ask us to create a custom drink for them on the spot but during a busy night, a lot of those drinks get forgotten almost as soon as they're made. So I'm looking for something to document or keep a track of these creations that can leave behind the bar to take a quick shot of a drink before I give it to a customer. It doesn't have to go in a frame or on the cover of a magazine, I'm just looking for the best shots possible for the budget and environment I've got to work with.

Looking for something under $200 preferably. There's a lot of (I think) good deals going on at the moment, and I'd like to grab the best deal I can that fits my needs the most. I'm looking for something that I can just take out and snap a shot in a hurry, discreet as possible, so no flash. It's not dark in the bar, but I'd definitely say it's low light, so I'm looking for something that's going to give me the best shots possible in those conditions. I understand these are hardly ideal conditions but like I said, I'm just after the best I can get considering the circumstances, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Here's some decent looking deals I found as a starting point, I'd like to hear what some of you guys think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=7258612011

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WB250F-14-2MP-Digital-Optical/dp/B00B7UTB5C/ref=sr_1_6?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1385692955&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00AW2P98E/ref=sr_1_8?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1385693189&sr=1-8

Thanks a lot.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Flash is terrible for glass wares anyway. It reflects in weird ways and makes these ugly white flash spots. Best investment is just to get a mini tripod to capture as much light as possible without shaking your camera.

If you want to be fancier perhaps try having a secondary light source such as a softer flash light or a cell phone light? Or if your bar table is under lit like your avatar then you can take pictures easily. At your price point I wouldn't really worry about which model to use. As long as you can access macro mode, have a mini tripod you are good to go!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks a lot but I can't set up any tripods or adjust lighting. I'm after something that can take a picture in a second or two and can be put down again while I work my shift behind a very busy bar. There's no room or time to set up tripods or adjust lighting unfortunately. That's good news about flashes causing more harm than good though, I'll keep an eye out for stuff with macro mode.

I know the shots aren't going to be great, I'm just trying to make sure that whatever I do get gives me the best results I can get for my money and I don't end up wasting a couple of hundred bucks on something when I could've picked up a better option for the same price.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just get one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tabletop-Mini-Tripods/ci/391/N/4075788740 and have it permanently attached to your point and shoot.

It only takes a 1/5 to shoot a picture if you bump out the iso. Human hands to to produce blurry shot on anything slower than 1/20 of a second. 1/5 at iso 800 or iso 400 should be more than enough. Just preset everything before, rest the camera 6 inches from the drink, snap a shot and then boom.

or just use a Iphone 5s with evernote food. Amazing camera and It helps you log your drinks as well!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I second the tripod advice. You can probably do a 1s exposure no problem with any camera and be happy with the result.

Heck, buy some antique-ish canon powershot with their f/2.0 lens and you are set. I'm super happy with a canon powershot from 2001 for tripod stuff in lovely light. Mine came with an AC adapter and a remote control, so you can be super discrete about not even touching the camera. You can probably get that for 50$ at most.

Never underestimate the product of cheapness and power of ancient digital cameras.

Here's a starting point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerShot-G2-4-0-MP-Digital-Camera-MINT-Condition-/131044791071?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item1e82e0d31f

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 30, 2013

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I need a recommendation for a good beginners P&S. I've used plenty of image software while in college, but as for using a camera itself, I have no experience other than basic digital cameras and lovely cell phones. I was still under the impression megapixels mattered before I started reading in here. I need something that is good for both indoor and outdoor, but more importantly, something with good zoom/focus for both far and near. I don't want something simplistic though, I want to be able to try out all kinds of settings. My budget is a bit limited though, I want to stay around 200, and hoping the deals today can keep me around that price point. I am eager to get into some photography though, and would be willing to pay more if suggestions point to something better.

I guess I'll list my main uses too, might help.
*Outdoor pictures (nature/urban)
*Small models (need to be able to zoom in well)
*Concerts (lights constantly changing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Basically you are hosed. Look into the s100, some premium model 2years old or some trade in or thanksgiving bin left over specials.

Tripods are the best bet. And when you do get a camera with more specific modes read understanding exposure

• Locked thread