Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've been watching Trailer Park Boys, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm not sure I'd call it funny? It's endearing, sure, and weirdly compelling, but I'd hesitate to call it a straight comedy.
I felt similarly conflicted about the first season since I thought it was pretty close to making fun of poor people for being stuck in miserable situations. Season 2 on is far better about that (I'm somewhere in S3 right now). I think I laughed more at S2E1 than the entirety of S1. The show seems to go for the continual small comedic moments instead of grander situations. Some the reoccurring stuff absolutely kills me though. Bottle Kids :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The thing about TPB is you don't laugh at the boys because they're in a bad situation, I don't think. A lot of the humor comes from the absurdity of their situation and their responses to it, and while Ricky does and says a lot of dumb things you still don't want to see him fail.

edit: I felt weird after watching the first episode, because it seems really sincere and I wasn't sure how that was supposed to be funny. It's really one of those shows where characterization and familiarity with their struggle are essential to understanding why it's funny.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So, this weekend my girlfriend chose to watch Somebody Up There Likes Me at random and promptly fell asleep five minutes in (to be fair to the movie, it was pretty late), so I stuck it out on my own.

It's pretty much what you'd expect from an independent comedy made in the United States in the last five years, dead-eyed people talking in monotone at each other and not really reacting to increasingly terrible situations, etc. But it was strange, it didn't seem earnest about it's quirkiness like a Wes Anderson film, or snarky and vaguely condescending like a Diablo Cody film. It just kind of exists. I have a hard time feeling either way about it, and it almost feels like everyone involved (the director, the actors, etc.) felt the same way.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My only positive takeaway from Somebody Up There Likes Me is that Nick Offerman is fantastic in everything he's in.

Do not watch Somebody Up There Likes Me, not even for Nick Offerman. It's not worth it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Slate Action posted:

My only positive takeaway from Somebody Up There Likes Me is that Nick Offerman is fantastic in everything he's in.

Do not watch Somebody Up There Likes Me, not even for Nick Offerman. It's not worth it.

Yeah, I stuck with it originally because of Nick Offerman, but he isn't given a lot to do. I did enjoy the scene with him and the guy buying ice cream, though.

I dunno, it's not a movie so wretchedly awful that I'm compelled to post a scathing internet review of it or anything like that, but if someone saw me watching it I'd probably feel kinda embarrassed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I remember before the era of Netflix streaming, Blockbuster's comedy section would be lousy with these things. They always had laurel marks on the packaging indicating that they had shown at several festivals, not necessarily winning anything significant.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Slate Action posted:

There's another positive takeaway. It also resulted in this intriguing promo.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDdS3vy4Iso

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not on streaming but if you have dvds you should definitely watch The Proposition, it's a drat good western. The whole atmosphere feels tense and menacing, and the soundtrack is great. It reminds me a lot of Unforgiven.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Watched In Bruges last night based on recommendations in here, and it was great. I really enjoyed the way it played with narrative expectations over and over near the end.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The one thing that really surprised me about Trailer Park Boys is how progressive the shows stance on homosexuality is. There are very few gay slurs if any used against Lahey and Randy's relationship.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I will agree with most people that Trailer Park Boys gets rolling after season one, but I remember watching all of it and I was dying of laughter from a few episodes. Conky, Bubbles puppet that was buried by Ricky because of how loving terrified of it he was, was one of my favorite moments in the show, as well as all of Phil Collins. I will say though, it feels a lot like King of the Hill at times. You're not going to be laughing all the time, but something keeps drawing you back to it.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2013

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

So after Maniac I'm pretty happy to be watching Trailer Park Boys. Almost finished the second season and it's really growing on me. Bubbles is adorable and everything about the show is just so goofy and sweet.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Flython posted:

So after Maniac I'm pretty happy to be watching Trailer Park Boys. Almost finished the second season and it's really growing on me. Bubbles is adorable and everything about the show is just so goofy and sweet.

"You fuckin' want one?"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Flython posted:

SAMSQUANCH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_SL73iNFE

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
"Somethin's fucky..."

Seriously, if you haven't watched TPB get some beer and dig in.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Beast with a Million Eyes is my choice to rewatch for Halloween. Greatest surprise "creepo" character I have seen. Pure Shlock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qa5kBjmxh4 If you want more Plan 9 level entertainment give it a shot.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I know there are browser plug-ins to allow for switching the DNS in order to access the Netflix catalog outside your geographic location, but are there any methods to accomplish this if you access Netflix via an app on your Blu-ray drive? Or, what about on an iPad?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

I know there are browser plug-ins to allow for switching the DNS in order to access the Netflix catalog outside your geographic location, but are there any methods to accomplish this if you access Netflix via an app on your Blu-ray drive? Or, what about on an iPad?
You could try switching your router to use the alternate DNS server if its software allows this, or using manual IP/DNS configuration on the device if it supports it. This assumes that these devices don't check your location in other ways (and possibly that these DNS server proxy services are configured in a way that handles these versions of Netflix correctly).

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 31, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

With closed devices like game consoles or Blu-Ray players your best bet is to redirect your Internet traffic at the router level, like mystes said above. When I lived overseas I did that with a paid VPN service and a router flashed with DDWRT firmware. That's probably the simplest way, but it's still cost prohibitive and requires lots of manual fiddling with your router's settings.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey, what was that website where you searched a movie and it told you all legal streaming/download services that had it available, including different regions of Netflix? It's been mentioned like a hundred times in this thread but I still can't remember what it is.

VVVVVVVVVV
That was it. Thanks!

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 31, 2013

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Moreflicks?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

With closed devices like game consoles or Blu-Ray players your best bet is to redirect your Internet traffic at the router level, like mystes said above. When I lived overseas I did that with a paid VPN service and a router flashed with DDWRT firmware. That's probably the simplest way, but it's still cost prohibitive and requires lots of manual fiddling with your router's settings.

Yeah, I should have thrown in that I'd like to do it without paying for a VPN, which is how I accessed it in the past. Thanks for the responses, I will explore the router options.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I watched Lunopolis the other night and it was a pleasant surprise. I’m not a huge sci-fi fan, but I thought it was well done for such a low-budget movie. I thought it drug a little at the end, but otherwise much better than my last few picks.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I don't know if people have been over it, but Sons of Anarchy season 5 is out on netflix. It is insane.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
Getting Your Seven Bucks Worth?

Extreme Cheapskates

TLC show on people who actually have money, but will do anything possible not to spend it. Dumpster diving, reusing paper towels, reusing cloth toilet wipes - its all here!

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I do not understand how those people have friends or spouses. I saw one episode where a man took his family out to dinner as a yearly treat...and paid a $90-something bill entirely in coins. Oh, and not only was he a cheapskate despite having money, he even had several accounts he hid from his wife and family that added up to something nuts like $100K. How do these people find someone willing to put up with that poo poo?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I do not understand how those people have friends or spouses. I saw one episode where a man took his family out to dinner as a yearly treat...and paid a $90-something bill entirely in coins. Oh, and not only was he a cheapskate despite having money, he even had several accounts he hid from his wife and family that added up to something nuts like $100K. How do these people find someone willing to put up with that poo poo?

Their spouse is just as damaged as they are, albeit in a different way, and neither of them can find someone more sane who would put up with their poo poo.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I liked the guy who went around the restaurant asking strangers for their leftovers.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
so Dexter is back streaming now, at least the first 4 seasons. The description on instantwatcher says the remaining seasons will be available in January

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stimpy posted:

so Dexter is back streaming now, at least the first 4 seasons. The description on instantwatcher says the remaining seasons will be available in January
The first 4 seasons are all anyone needs to watch of the show anyway. Don't be bummed out that you can't watch past that.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Internet Gentleman posted:

Getting Your Seven Bucks Worth?

Extreme Cheapskates

TLC show on people who actually have money, but will do anything possible not to spend it. Dumpster diving, reusing paper towels, reusing cloth toilet wipes - its all here!

This show screams scripted.

I really hope it is.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

mrwuss posted:

This show screams scripted.

I really hope it is.

I was going to say, I caught a few episodes of this show out of morbid curiosity, and there's no way that these people exist in real life.

I recall one episode had some guy take a girl out on a date, acted like a ridiculously cheapass douche the entire time, and then the end of the episode had the girl saying, "sure, I'd go out with him again." Another had some guy who took his family of 7-8 out to a big, rare dinner - at a Chinese buffet - and got them a total of three plates of food in order to save money. (Like that would ever work in reality.)

So, yeah. Almost certainly scripted, yet still cringe inducing all around.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Literally all "reality" shows ever are scripted.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Shared horrible experiences? I've heard of kids who hid sandwiches all over their home and in their clothes and pockets because they did that in the orphanages they grew up in. I think it was generally to keep older kids from stealing food from them? A lot of them kept up those habits even when it was no longer applicable to how they were living because they just never quite got over some trauma they experienced. I assume this is a variation on that.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Another had some guy who took his family of 7-8 out to a big, rare dinner - at a Chinese buffet - and got them a total of three plates of food in order to save money. (Like that would ever work in reality.)

It does. I had an uncle who used to do that. He still might? I haven't seen him in a while. He lived through periods of abject poverty during the communist-iest of China periods and I think this burned the shame out of him.

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 1, 2013

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Soylentbits posted:

It does. I had an uncle who used to do that. He still might? I haven't seen him in a while. He lived through periods of abject poverty during the communist-iest of China periods and I think this burned the shame out of him.

Really? I get the feeling that you'd get yelled out of the restaurant if you tried that at any of the Chinese buffets that I've been to.

Anyway, back on topic: National Lampoons Christmas Vacation was just added, thus saving Christmas forever.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Probably my favourite episode is the one when Julian gets stuck in a rug, Bubbles goes at him because he thinks he's big foot, Conky gets dug up again, Ricky gets a toy truck stuck to his nose, and a car on his hand(?), and they all go to a hospital.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

stimpy posted:

Skip season three and consider the series complete after the fourth.

I'm still mad for watching the show in its entirety.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm sure most of the people who read this thread have watched it by now, but if you haven't watched Warrior you should. This weekend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Really? I get the feeling that you'd get yelled out of the restaurant if you tried that at any of the Chinese buffets that I've been to.

Anyway, back on topic: National Lampoons Christmas Vacation was just added, thus saving Christmas forever.

They're still missing the two best Christmas movies, though. Ever since they lost Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, Christmas just hasn't been the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'm sure most of the people who read this thread have watched it by now, but if you haven't watched Warrior you should. This weekend.

I'll second this, I put it off for so long because of the UFC cover but you need to grab some tissues and watch it.

• Locked thread