Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Your CFO should not be your CFO for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
A couple years ago I withdrew some contributions from a Roth IRA. I guess I didn't file correctly, because the IRS just sent me a bill for $1500 for taxes I owe on that as income. Is that right? I thought I already paid taxes on that.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

ETB posted:

I don't know about that. A CFO that painfully risk averse is probably really good at his job.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

three posted:

A couple years ago I withdrew some contributions from a Roth IRA. I guess I didn't file correctly, because the IRS just sent me a bill for $1500 for taxes I owe on that as income. Is that right? I thought I already paid taxes on that.

You can only pull money back out on contributions.
So if you put in 5K 3 years ago and it grew to 8 or something, and you pulled 7, you owe taxes (and are perhaps penalized further) on that extra 2K.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Minty Swagger posted:

So if you put in 5K 3 years ago and it grew to 8 or something, and you pulled 7, you owe taxes (and are perhaps penalized further) on that extra 2K.

I only withdrew contributions so I should dispute the tax charge, right? I guess since I didn't file properly they wouldn't know it was contributions?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
That I don't know, you may want to approach the CPA or group that assisted with your taxes!

Could be a misunderstanding on their part though yeah.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Minty Swagger posted:

How does this work for things that lost value?

I'm going to need to take about 2.5k out of my Roth IRA for 2013 since I didn't make enough W2 income. I've got some stocks in my IRA that have crashed and I don't think they are coming back and was considering selling anyway. Despite having almost no income, I have a sizable amount of tax to pay from a Traditional 401k to Roth IRA rollover. I converted it this year since I'll likely only pay up to 15% for it. I've got the savings to cover it, but am wondering if there is something fancy I can do since I have to withdraw from my IRA at the same time.
edit: I misread the conditions for underpayment penalty and will have to pay ~$30 for not doing a manual payment when I did the rollover, oops.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

ETB posted:

He is a dumb-dumb that told us our insurance premiums are going up because Obamacare and forgot to deduct anyone's vacation hours for the entirety of this year (or set up my vacation hours). Our 401k is through Paychex and is terrible. He is our "CFO" just because he handles our finances, we are a fairly small research non profit. Still have enough terrible management stories from my non-profit work to fill a book.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Xenoborg posted:

How does this work for things that lost value?

I'm going to need to take about 2.5k out of my Roth IRA for 2013 since I didn't make enough W2 income. I've got some stocks in my IRA that have crashed and I don't think they are coming back and was considering selling anyway. Despite having almost no income, I have a sizable amount of tax to pay from a Traditional 401k to Roth IRA rollover. I converted it this year since I'll likely only pay up to 15% for it. I've got the savings to cover it, but am wondering if there is something fancy I can do since I have to withdraw from my IRA at the same time.
edit: I misread the conditions for underpayment penalty and will have to pay ~$30 for not doing a manual payment when I did the rollover, oops.

I took money out of a Roth IRA that was down ~8 years ago. Vanguard sent me a form showing the withdrawal with a letter saying the IRS had received one as well. As I recall, there was a column that said taxable disbursements: $0. I included the Vanguard form and got my refund as fast as normal.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

bam thwok posted:

I don't know about that. A CFO that painfully risk averse is probably really good at his job.

kaishek posted:

He is a dumb-dumb that told us our insurance premiums are going up because Obamacare and forgot to deduct anyone's vacation hours for the entirety of this year (or set up my vacation hours). Our 401k is through Paychex and is terrible. He is our "CFO" just because he handles our finances, we are a fairly small research non profit. Still have enough terrible management stories from my non-profit work to fill a book.

Maybe you should take over and set up Vanguard for your company. We can be your CFO. :v:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

three posted:

I only withdrew contributions so I should dispute the tax charge, right? I guess since I didn't file properly they wouldn't know it was contributions?

Look at the tax documents your brokerage company has for your distribution. It is probably an error on their end. If they didn't report anything, then you need to look into what you did on your tax return.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

ETB posted:

Maybe you should take over and set up Vanguard for your company. We can be your CFO. :v:

Hah! I'm already filling that role for him - no one understands our health insurance either, so I get asked for advice when people enroll. I think BFC would do a significantly better job.

Does anyone else use Paychex for their 401k? I am fairly sure that you can actually choose which funds go in for your employees to choose, but our CFO says he can't change the fund selection. I, of course, don't trust him.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I'm about to pay off my student loans, so now is the perfect time to start saving for retirement. My work only offers up to 50 dollars matching funds per month for their Roth 401(k) and regular 401(k) plans. I have about $6,000 in savings, and was thinking of starting one of those $3,000 Roth portfolios from Vanguard. Also, I'm thinking of looking for a new job next year, so it might not be worth starting a 401(k) if I'm just gonna roll it over in a few months anyway. With such low matching funds and a possible job change, is it even worth signing up for my work's 401(k) plan or should I just start out exclusively with the Vanguard plan?

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm about to pay off my student loans, so now is the perfect time to start saving for retirement. My work only offers up to 50 dollars matching funds per month for their Roth 401(k) and regular 401(k) plans. I have about $6,000 in savings, and was thinking of starting one of those $3,000 Roth portfolios from Vanguard. Also, I'm thinking of looking for a new job next year, so it might not be worth starting a 401(k) if I'm just gonna roll it over in a few months anyway. With such low matching funds and a possible job change, is it even worth signing up for my work's 401(k) plan or should I just start out exclusively with the Vanguard plan?
Vanguard's minimum for target retirement funds is only $1,000. Do it.

Personally I think you should sign up for the 401(k). $50 is $50, free money. You're "thinking of looking" for a new job next year. Take what you can get/save what you can save while you can. Rollovers are easy.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What are some good Vanguard funds that have a minimum of $1,000? The ones I looked at last had higher minimums ($3,000).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The only funds with a $1000 minimum are the Target Retirement funds and the STAR fund: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0056&FundIntExt=INT

Then, any fund available as an ETF essentially has no minimum, only that you have to buy in share increments.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Start the 401k with your current employer. Then, when you leave, talk to the folks at Vanguard to roll it over into an IRA: Roth 401k -> Roth IRA, or traditional 401k -> traditional IRA. I have both a traditional and Roth IRA so that I can rollover funds from whatever 401k that I have.

If you don't contribute to a 401k this year, you can't go back and back-contribute next year.

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!

three posted:

edit: See ntan1's reply below.

rooth baybee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 27, 2017

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So my employer offers both a traditional and Roth 401k. I am wanting to roll over the Roth portion of my 401k over to Vanguard and diversify my portfolio, but am I able to do this while I am still employed by my current company?

On the same page, I am also considering a traditional IRA to minimize my AGI for tax purposes (earning about $100k/year), along with starting up a HSA next year. Any thoughts on whether I should diversify my odds with taxes in the future with a Roth IRA vs. minimizing my AGI with a traditional IRA now?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KaboomzZz posted:

There is a lot of wrong advice on the internet about this. The way I understand it is that your Roth must also be at least 5 years old to withdraw, e.g.:
If your Roth is 5 years old or older, and you've contributed say some amount of money (example 20,000) and its now (30,000) you can withdraw up to 20,000 without paying a tax or penalty.
If your Roth is less than 5 years old, and you've contributed say some amount of money (example 20,000) and its now (30,000) you cannot withdraw anything without being penalized at minimum the 10% tax.
I believe the 5 year rule only applies to Roth conversions.

edit: not a CPA/EA/.etc

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

KaboomzZz posted:

There is a lot of wrong advice on the internet about this. The way I understand it is that your Roth must also be at least 5 years old to withdraw, e.g.:
If your Roth is 5 years old or older, and you've contributed say some amount of money (example 20,000) and its now (30,000) you can withdraw up to 20,000 without paying a tax or penalty.
If your Roth is less than 5 years old, and you've contributed say some amount of money (example 20,000) and its now (30,000) you cannot withdraw anything without being penalized at minimum the 10% tax.

5 year rule is only for conversions. In the case of a Roth withdrawal, you need to make sure that http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf was filed by your bank with the correct distribution code, or that you claimed that the money was non taxable when you filed http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5329.pdf with your tax return.

Ask one of the guys in the Tax questions thread for more specifics :)

ETB posted:

So my employer offers both a traditional and Roth 401k. I am wanting to roll over the Roth portion of my 401k over to Vanguard and diversify my portfolio, but am I able to do this while I am still employed by my current company?

On the same page, I am also considering a traditional IRA to minimize my AGI for tax purposes (earning about $100k/year), along with starting up a HSA next year. Any thoughts on whether I should diversify my odds with taxes in the future with a Roth IRA vs. minimizing my AGI with a traditional IRA now?

Usually no, unless your company explicitly allows it. The question on Roth versus traditional IRA generally is a difficult one to answer without deep specifics, as it's dependent on what you personally expect your income will be as you retire.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

ETB posted:

Since you have a 401k from your employer and make $100k, I don't think you can deduct IRA contributions. I think the only way to minimize your AGI is to throw money at your traditional 401k, but I'm also not an accountant.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

I believe the 5 year rule only applies to Roth conversions.

edit: not a CPA/EA/.etc

I called Vanguard today and they're sending me the correct paperwork to provide the IRS. I don't have to pay taxes on any contributions.

This issue is my fault for not filing the paperwork correctly, though.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Just want to thank the thread for illustrating how bad fees can get. My girlfriend has gone to 3 financial advisors in the past year and they all want to charge her from 2-5% just to "manage" her Roth (dump it in some lovely funds). She unwittingly paid a State Farm rear end in a top hat $1k just to transfer her IRA last year. Pretty ridiculous how some of these companies are just out to screw people. I've been coaching her up on the fine print and have her looking at Vanguard and Target Funds today.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This might be a stupid idea:
Due to not working much this year I had low income and have about 15k of "space" left in the 15% marginal tax bracket. I also have some taxable accounts with more than that amount of unrealized gains. The accounts are meant for big non-retirement purposes like a house down payment. I am considering reshuffling 15k of the account to fill in the extra space I have at 15%. It seems like this would save ~1500 by doing it at now 15% vs more likely at 25% or 28% in the future when/if I want to cash it out to buy a house.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Can someone give me a very concise rundown of redeeming ee bonds? Is it just as easy as going to my financial institution of choice with my ID and information? Or does something get mailed to me?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm

quote:

You can cash paper EE/E Bonds at many local financial institutions. We don't keep a list of banks that redeem bonds, so check with banks in your area.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I actually cashed out a 25 year zero coupon corporate bond that my parents established for me in the '80s. It matured last year at $5000, but I did not collect until this year. Does anyone know how I should account for the principle ($1350 I think in 1987) - is it a simple gift, or because it was established in my name as a minor, does that matter? And how do I treat the interest ($3650 gained by maturity in 2012) for taxation purposes? And do I need to report for this year, or amend last year's filing?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ok cool man thanks. It says that you will get an IRS form but will I get a receipt or anything mailed to me?

e: these are all pretty small, almost all of them under $200

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 29, 2013

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have 120k in my 401k at work. I just got a fantastic job offer elsewhere that also has a 401k.

Do I roll it over to the new company, roll it to an IRA, leave it where it is and start a new 401k with the new company or what?

I want to verify that my financial planner isnt inadvertantly giving me not-so-good advice. She says roll to an IRA. I am unsure if this is partially to keep the money in their company and in their portfolio or if it's the best thing for me to do.

Other facts: I'm 30. The 401k has performed very well over the last 10 years. 13% growth not counting my contributions and poo poo. The new 401k is a Wells Fargo thing.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 29, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Rolling it to an IRA is usually the best option unless your old 401k has better investment options available than Vanguard for example, but that isn't too likely. You just probably just roll it over to Vanguard.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Edit. Wrong thread, nothing to see here.

MussoliniB fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 29, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilalien posted:

Rolling it to an IRA is usually the best option unless your old 401k has better investment options available than Vanguard for example, but that isn't too likely. You just probably just roll it over to Vanguard.
Yep.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I read through the OP but I'm still a little confused on what an appropriate amount for my 401k would be. My employer will match 100% up to 3% and 50% up to 2% after that. Is it worth putting over 5% into my 401k? Currently I have it set at 10% but that just seems kind of high to me considering I'm only being matched up to 5%. I asked my brother and he said he only puts 4% in and it seems to be working for him (hes in his late 20s and married). This is my first career job post college and I have no debt, I am 24 years old and single making $55k.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
You said you read the OP, but I'll just repost this snippet because it's important.

"[panic posted:

" post="345722713"]
There are 3 main types of tax-advantaged savings accounts -- Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, and 401(k) (or equivalent). I could explain all of these in detail, but the Motley Fool has already done a pretty good job right here. In general, most people would want to follow these rules:

1) Contribute to 401(k) up to employer match
2) Max out Roth IRA ($5,500 this year)
3) Max out 401(k) ($17,500 limit this year)
4) If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something.

Figure out what you can actually save. If you've been doing 10% for a few months and don't feel tight on cash, you can probably go with that for now.

Just do the list in order.

1) Put in 5% to your 401k, because 50 cents on your dollar is still free money.
2) Dump up to 5.5k into a Roth if you have it on hand. You can throw it in all at once or make smaller contributions throughout the year, up to you.

The Roth alone is 10% of a 55k base salary, so you may not even max it out this year, depending on your spending/saving habits.

If you later find yourself with more money than you need, you can start putting money into unmatched percents in the 401(k).

And in case you missed the part where everyone screams "HAVE AN EMERGENCY FUND," HAVE AN EMERGENCY FUND.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I can setup a ROTH separate from my 401k? I guess I'll need to look more into that. My current plan is to keep the 401k at 10% (I just set this up so we'll see if it's sustainable) and keep saving for an emergency fund. My goal is to get to $10k (about half way there now) for an emergency fund as soon as possible and then just set that aside. Then start putting more money into my spend it on useless crap fund.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Popete posted:

So I can setup a ROTH separate from my 401k? I guess I'll need to look more into that. My current plan is to keep the 401k at 10% (I just set this up so we'll see if it's sustainable) and keep saving for an emergency fund. My goal is to get to $10k (about half way there now) for an emergency fund as soon as possible and then just set that aside. Then start putting more money into my spend it on useless crap fund.
Yes. 401k is through your employer. Roth is with whatever provider you select (most here recommend Vanguard, and for good reason).

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Got a general question which somewhat ties in to long-term retirement.

My company (88 people) was planning to offer Long Term Disability as a cafeteria option, but at 50% off buying it alone would run me.
It is generally accepted that LTD is a extremely good thing for most people to carry, much more so than life insurance (at least this is the opinion of all the doctors and actuaries I know).

However, the HR folks were not able to even get ten people interested (the minimum number) so they are not going to add the option for anyone.

What are some good ways to convince a bunch of 20 somethings (and a couple of us 30 somethings) that they should sign up?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's only a few cases I can think of where keeping your money with them instead of rolling over would be a good idea. Those few cases start with Thrift Savings Plan.

Edit: wrt Rollover IRAs v. previous employer 401k

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Tai-Pan posted:

Got a general question which somewhat ties in to long-term retirement.

My company (88 people) was planning to offer Long Term Disability as a cafeteria option, but at 50% off buying it alone would run me.
It is generally accepted that LTD is a extremely good thing for most people to carry, much more so than life insurance (at least this is the opinion of all the doctors and actuaries I know).

However, the HR folks were not able to even get ten people interested (the minimum number) so they are not going to add the option for anyone.

What are some good ways to convince a bunch of 20 somethings (and a couple of us 30 somethings) that they should sign up?
I was under the impression it wasn't that great, you have to be really careful what the plan considers disabled, and you tend to lose it as soon as you leave your job.