Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I got Wonder Traded a Golett named Gigantor, which is the same name I always give Golurk when I use it on Pokemon Showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Crosscontaminant posted:

It'd be awfully handy if someone were to redo this chart with only 2V Dittos, since there's no easy sources of 3V Dittos to my knowledge.

If you have easy access to 2-max-IV Ditto via the Friend Safari then with some perseverance and a little luck you will be able to get 3-max-IV Ditto.

If you catch a Ditto in the Friend Safari, the probability that it has precisely 2 max IVs is about 0.8807. The probability that it has three or more is about 0.1193. That means if you went out to the Safari and caught 9 Ditto you would expect to get one with 3 or more max IVs (in fact the expected value is 1.07). If you want you can get more in-depth and say "well ok but it's a bit useless if those IVs include both attacking stats, what is the probability of getting 3 max IVs that exclude one or both attacking stats" and then the probabilities look a bit worse, but only a bit.

I went and caught 30 Ditto in a Friend Safari, and got one with 4 max IVs (HP, Attack, Special Defense and Speed) and iirc a couple more with 3.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

And that list does not explain why I couldn't name my Fennekin Kukuru.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Can you breed dittos?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Can you breed dittos?

no

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just spent about a half hour catching Gabites and Dragonairs in the Friend Safari and I'll be damned if a single one of them has a useful nature or their Hidden Ability. gently caress this game sometimes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hunter Noventa posted:

That's the list for the Generation 5 games.

Can you breed dittos?

No.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hammerite posted:

If you have easy access to 2-max-IV Ditto via the Friend Safari then with some perseverance and a little luck you will be able to get 3-max-IV Ditto.

If you catch a Ditto in the Friend Safari, the probability that it has precisely 2 max IVs is about 0.8807. The probability that it has three or more is about 0.1193. That means if you went out to the Safari and caught 9 Ditto you would expect to get one with 3 or more max IVs (in fact the expected value is 1.07). If you want you can get more in-depth and say "well ok but it's a bit useless if those IVs include both attacking stats, what is the probability of getting 3 max IVs that exclude one or both attacking stats" and then the probabilities look a bit worse, but only a bit.

I went and caught 30 Ditto in a Friend Safari, and got one with 4 max IVs (HP, Attack, Special Defense and Speed) and iirc a couple more with 3.

Yeah, I only managed to get one with three EVs, but those three are in Defense, Special Defense, and Speed, so it's pretty drat handy.

Can you breed dittos?

No.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
So the mechanics of the Destiny Knot are if one of the parents holds it, it will get 5 of the IVs from either parent, right? It won't be five from the one holding the Destiny Knot? I've heard it both ways.

EDIT: vvvvvv Thanks! I actually have two Gooey Sliggoos with different flawless IVs, so I figure that's just as good.

I've got ALMOST all my breeding stuff ready for my team at this point. I have to wait until tomorrow to catch some Riolus for my Nidoking, but after that I'm good.

And thanks to the new breeding mechanics, hatching what I want should be a breeze, right?

Right?

Complexcalibur fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 28, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Complexcalibur posted:

So the mechanics of the Destiny Knot are if one of the parents holds it, it will get 5 of the IVs from either parent, right? It won't be five from the one holding the Destiny Knot? I've heard it both ways.

From either parent. It may happen that they all come from the parent holding the destiny knot (1/32 probability).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Complexcalibur posted:

I have to wait until tomorrow to catch some Riolus for my Nidoking, but after that I'm good.

drat, I only feed puffins to mine.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

That's stupid.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just spent about a half hour catching Gabites and Dragonairs in the Friend Safari and I'll be damned if a single one of them has a useful nature or their Hidden Ability. gently caress this game sometimes.

The person whose safari you're visiting has to have beaten the Elite 4 and has to have been online in your friends list at the same time you were online at some point afterwards for you to be able to find hidden abilities in the safari. If there aren't 3 different pokemon present in their safari, you will never find a hidden ability on the 2 that are present.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a Ralts or something else with Trace. It'll show you the ability as soon as the battle starts so you don't have to waste time catching pokes you don't want.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

isr posted:

I haven't played a pokemon since red, which I played to death, loved exploring and collecting, finding new little dudes everywhere. Its quite enjoyable to relive that experience with pkmn x, some pretty good stuff.

Naughty by nature :mmmhmm:

You didn't give it a name?

Get the gently caress out of this thread. :colbert:

Tiemrhon posted:

It's kinda baffling. I was naming a bunch of Chespins after nuts and "Pine" trips the censor, but "Pinenut" doesn't.

'Nipples' is censored, but I named a Miltank 'Nippletown' just fine. :shrug:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Zurai posted:

The person whose safari you're visiting has to have beaten the Elite 4 and has to have been online in your friends list at the same time you were online at some point afterwards for you to be able to find hidden abilities in the safari. If there aren't 3 different pokemon present in their safari, you will never find a hidden ability on the 2 that are present.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a Ralts or something else with Trace. It'll show you the ability as soon as the battle starts so you don't have to waste time catching pokes you don't want.

These would have all been good things to know 30 minutes ago. But I guess I'll train up some form of Trace-ing Pokemon

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

I am Reverend posted:

I got Wonder Traded a Golett named Gigantor, which is the same name I always give Golurk when I use it on Pokemon Showdown.
By any chance, is its original trainer named Tabitha?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was very confused when I got an Eelektrik in a wondertrade, but it wasn't an eel at all. It turns out that there's a completely different Pokemon named Electrike that I forgot when I skipped Gen III. Am I the only bothered at how similar the names are?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Caught my first shiny from a friend safari

Its a Braixen :getin:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

You also can't name a Pokemon Spike.

Yeah.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I was very confused when I got an Eelektrik in a wondertrade, but it wasn't an eel at all. It turns out that there's a completely different Pokemon named Electrike that I forgot when I skipped Gen III. Am I the only bothered at how similar the names are?

Look, there are only so many electricity puns out there.

Dedenne, the english name, is a pun based on 2 languages that aren't english.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

RiffRaff1138 posted:

By any chance, is its original trainer named Tabitha?

Just checked and it is, haha. I was just wonder trading all my breeding projects so whatever you got for it probably has pretty good IVs.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Seriously, has anyone found that decorations have had any effect on Pokemon Amie? I have a whole fire environment with fire hearts, a camp fire, and lava rock and fire cushions, and the fire background and it seems to make no difference in what Pokemon decide to hang out or what presents they leave.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

MustelaFuro posted:

Seriously, has anyone found that decorations have had any effect on Pokemon Amie? I have a whole fire environment with fire hearts, a camp fire, and lava rock and fire cushions, and the fire background and it seems to make no difference in what Pokemon decide to hang out or what presents they leave.

I haven't found any here, similarly I have mostly Dragon-themed items and I'll still have anything from Fennekins to Yveltals dropping in to say hi/give me more random poffin things/furniture.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MustelaFuro posted:

I get the feeling that it's all for show. On the bright side there is a Punk Cube.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I just agreed to a battle where none of the levels were scaled and my opponent used Xerneas and a bunch of Eeveelutions all around level 70. My fully trained EV team got wiped because they're all like level 20 and 14. :lol:

Jacobeus
Jan 9, 2013
So apparently you can obtain shinies in this version by chain-fishing. I tried it myself and got a shiny clawitzer and shiny luvdisk in the span of about an hour. Unless I've just been astronomically lucky, then if I play for a few hours each day it should be possible to obtain a shiny version of pretty much every fishable pokemon in just a few days. :stare:

That...actually makes me kinda angry. I want my shinies to mean more. There's also the second method of using the pokeradar to get the ones on land (although it seems to be a bit more difficult), and with those two methods it seems like shinies just aren't too hard to come by these days. Perfect IVed pokemon are probably more valuable now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jacobeus posted:

So apparently you can obtain shinies in this version by chain-fishing. I tried it myself and got a shiny clawitzer and shiny luvdisk in the span of about an hour. Unless I've just been astronomically lucky, then if I play for a few hours each day it should be possible to obtain a shiny version of pretty much every fishable pokemon in just a few days. :stare:

That...actually makes me kinda angry. I want my shinies to mean more. There's also the second method of using the pokeradar to get the ones on land (although it seems to be a bit more difficult), and with those two methods it seems like shinies just aren't too hard to come by these days. Perfect IVed pokemon are probably more valuable now.

Let me tell you about Elekid.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Huge Liability posted:

I couldn't name my Bunnelby 'Georgie' after my deceased bunny rabbit, but 'George' was just fine. Actually, I couldn't use that name in WoW, either.

I've just now realized that it's probably because it contains the word 'orgie.' :eng99:

if you use the spanish e, É it seems to break the censor

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Barbaracle noooooo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Funkmaster General posted:

The shiny encounter rate, barring any special methods used, is 1/8192. That's 0.0001%.
Unless my math is wrong 1/100 is 1%, 1/1000 is .1%, so 1/<10000 would be >.01%. I mean, the chance is small, but it's not quite as dramatic as you make it sound. Just treat it as a zen gambling exercise, it took me like 800 Fennekins to get my shiny but it happens eventually. There was no gritting of teeth or even exasperation; just boredom and if I found myself falling asleep I'd just go do something else.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 28, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The White Dragon posted:

Unless my math is wrong 1/100 is 1%, 1/1000 is .1%, so 1/<10000 would be >.01%. I mean, the chance is small, but it's not quite as dramatic as you make it sound. Just treat it as zen gambling exercise, it took me like 800 Fennekins to get my shiny but it happens eventually. There was no gritting of teeth or even exasperation; just boredom and if I found myself falling asleep I'd just go do something else.

No, you're right. I got that figure by googling "1/8192" and expecting its calculator to give me the matching percentage instead of just dividing. I'm a pretty big idiot.

My point still stands, though, even if .01% isn't as unlikely as .0001%, it's still pretty drat unlikely.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

No, you're right. I got that figure by googling "1/8192" and expecting its calculator to give me the matching percentage instead of just dividing. I'm a pretty big idiot.

But dividing 1 by 8,192 DOES get you the percentage. 100% is 1.00, so start two decimals farther to the right.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

It should give you a random egg.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mazerunner posted:

It should give you a random egg.

New feature in Pokemon Z: Wonder Egg.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think this must be the fastest I've gone from honeymoon to burnout in regards to a new mainline Pokemon game. X/Y have only been out for about three weeks and I'm already hyping myself up for X'/Y'. Perhaps it's time for a "Hard Mode" run with Chespin, Amaura, battles on Set, and no Exp Share.

In Japanese. Actually that's a little unnecessary. I forget, was there a Mandarin option?

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm holding off being burnt out by spending every waking moment breeding eggs in hopes of a shiny.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just started this game yesterday, and since I'm a cool kid, I got a Charmander. I've got a question for later-but-soon: should I keep it from evolving? In the FR/LG days, it was sometimes worthwhile to hold off on Charizard so I didn't have to grind as long for Flamethrower, but they change the levels where moves are learned with each generation.

edit: actually, it might have been Quilava I did this with but whatever, same question applies

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 28, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
TMs are reusable and flamethrower's not hard to get. Evolve the dude.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TMs are reusable and flamethrower's not hard to get.

Neither of these things have always been the case, but it answers that question, so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any differences of which Pokemon can be found between X/Y or is it just the appearance of Mega Charizard that changes?

Also I remember a Pokemon that was a walking robot tank thing. What was it called?

• Locked thread