Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone suggest to me some good Thugs that might be possible with MA Ulm? Someone had suggested Bane Lord summons if my pretender had some death magic, but she doesn't so I'm looking for a good alternative. It's great being able to produce magic items so cheap, but it's nothing if I don't have anyone who can use it well.

My pretender has a fairly large amount magic in all paths except Death and Blood (In which I have none).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How the gently caress does conservative gem use work? Because right now it seems to mean "don't use flaming arrows on a single commander... spam fire elementals instead" and that bullshit just cost me my entire supply of fire gems.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Don't use more gems than you need for the spells that need gems, and none for the ones that don't need them?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone suggest to me some good Thugs that might be possible with MA Ulm? Someone had suggested Bane Lord summons if my pretender had some death magic, but she doesn't so I'm looking for a good alternative. It's great being able to produce magic items so cheap, but it's nothing if I don't have anyone who can use it well.

My pretender has a fairly large amount magic in all paths except Death and Blood (In which I have none).

Summonable thugs were pretty rare and not very cost effective in vanilla Dom3 and that hasn't changed much for Dom4. Maybe a Sleeper if you're that desperate but he's more of a super troop ferry than a thug.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 27, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Asehujiko posted:

How the gently caress does conservative gem use work? Because right now it seems to mean "don't use flaming arrows on a single commander... spam fire elementals instead" and that bullshit just cost me my entire supply of fire gems.

Sounds like it isn't working as intended and you should write up a bug report.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone suggest to me some good Thugs that might be possible with MA Ulm?

There really aren't any cost efficient options available to you. Troll kings of various flavors and sleepers will work if you feel spendy. If you can make iron angels or golems they're probably your most fun options.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Iron Angel or bust.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Iron Angels rule. My favorite dom3 memory was having one go against 2 chayots and win.

He was insanely decked out and had a heroic ability, but still.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They rule but they're also Conj 8 and need a lot of gear to really function.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There might be some acceptable targets for Gift of Reason. Has anyone tried Yetis or Hill Giants? I would but im lazy.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Here

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gift of reason adds a huge up front cost and almost universally gets you something that needs half a dozen items to survive on its own.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MR. :vd:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

wtf 106 hitpoints

too bad he's 9 base mr or that would be absolutely fantastic as an SC

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeti ain't half bad with that chill aura & resist. Solid enough stats, except for def. Would probably do well with a basic armor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So what we see is that we need a whole bunch more summons like Awesome Endgame gave us.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Yeti ain't half bad with that chill aura & resist. Solid enough stats, except for def. Would probably do well with a basic armor.

Their rock throwing ability has like 30 ammo too so they can do that forever. Was messing around with them in a test game and they make a superb wall if you drop that aoe liquid body spell on them.

EDIT: Their combat stats are garbage though and GoR would be a waste imo. That's be like GoRing a Sea Troll.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

How are u posted:

So what we see is that we need a whole bunch more summons like Awesome Endgame gave us.

Only if you're dedicated to making the game thug-based again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Thugs are nice because, setting aside afflictions and horror marking, they're either alive or dead. Dealing with attrition and reinforcements in Dominions is one of the least fun aspects of the game, and I expect it's even worse now with the nerfs to mobility and ritual range.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Gift of reason adds a huge up front cost and almost universally gets you something that needs half a dozen items to survive on its own.
Yeah. I've noticed people knocking sleepers, but for the price of GoR alone you can get two of those guys.

They have really good combat stats, recuperation, and come pre-equiped with nice high prot/low enc armour, a large shield, and magic weapons (including range 25 magic javelins!). Stick on an amulet of luck or something and they're good to go.

They're probably not going to be rampaging through the countryside on their own, but they don't look completely awful to me.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 28, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Speleothing posted:

Only if you're dedicated to making the game thug-based again.

Bane and Banelord-level summons would be nice. Just dear God nothing like Zmey ever again.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Bane and Banelord-level summons would be nice. Just dear God nothing like Zmey ever again.
So what are the characteristics we should be looking at when it comes to 'proper but not imbalanced' thugs?

Continue along the full slots, inbuilt magic weapon(s), Size 3, 2-3 dozen hp, 16ish MR and so on pattern like Bane Lords and Sleepers, and just expand it to different paths?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know that every path needs access to equally good summons. It'd be nice if (to some degree) the paths you had continued to dictate the general types of strategy you had ideal access to.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
So yeah. I did a thing where I updated the "Worthy Heroes" mod to dom4. It was long time ago assimilated into CBM, but llamabeast asked me to update the hero portion to dom4. It basically adds more heroes, especially to nations that have few of them and beefs weak heroes, especially the human "almost-thug" heroes.

Download, hero list and other further detail in the desura thread.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/worthy-heroes

If you want to contribute heroes, or hero ideas. Use the thread or fire me up in IrC.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

jBrereton posted:

So what are the characteristics we should be looking at when it comes to 'proper but not imbalanced' thugs?

Continue along the full slots, inbuilt magic weapon(s), Size 3, 2-3 dozen hp, 16ish MR and so on pattern like Bane Lords and Sleepers, and just expand it to different paths?

My problem with the Zmey is that they have a big chunk of hit points, that occur over three "lives" making insta-kill stuff less effective on them. Combine that with naturally very high stats, three head slots for a variety of options, and a relatively low cost, and you end up with a chassis that is at the top tier of the thug category without costing as much as it should.

For summons, the key to balancing increased power, at least in my mind, is to increase their gem cost and push them further down the research tree. Zmey's were able to come out in the early mid-game, when they really should be a late mid-game summon. Of course, now I'm prepared for everyone to call me stupid and point out how I'm wrong.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Burnsaber posted:

So yeah. I did a thing where I updated the "Worthy Heroes" mod to dom4. It was long time ago assimilated into CBM, but llamabeast asked me to update the hero portion to dom4. It basically adds more heroes, especially to nations that have few of them and beefs weak heroes, especially the human "almost-thug" heroes.

Download, hero list and other further detail in the desura thread.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/worthy-heroes

If you want to contribute heroes, or hero ideas. Use the thread or fire me up in IrC.

Schneeble may still have our notes from when we were trying to get Awesome Heroes going, if you're interested. I'm not sure your ideas will align super well with mine, but it's worth a try. Talk at me on IRC if you like, or I have PMs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know that every path needs access to equally good summons. It'd be nice if (to some degree) the paths you had continued to dictate the general types of strategy you had ideal access to.
I'd broadly agree, but at the moment, taking D3/4 on a pretender is very tempting to get hold of Bane Lords and Spectres, given they're better summons than almost everything else available early on in terms of cheap, effective thugging and opening up other paths.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I'd broadly agree, but at the moment, taking D3/4 on a pretender is very tempting to get hold of Bane Lords and Spectres, given they're better summons than almost everything else available early on in terms of cheap, effective thugging and opening up other paths.

Does anything else really compare to spectral mages in that regard? Just needs D3 and opens up 3 other paths along with the ability to forge shadow brands/duskdaggers.

Vanilla fire has always felt the weakest to me or maybe I'm just bad. What should I be sinking fire gems into besides raging hearts, some battle magic, and maybe a little forging? I tend to just dump them into lanterns or turn them into pearls.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Vanilla fire has always felt the weakest to me
Yeah, anything over like... 4 tops is pretty much unnecessary. At that point, you've got Flaming Arrows going, and with Phoenix Power your battlefield evocations are going to be very castable.

For F7+, you've got what... Purgatory? Second Sun? Purgatory is going to mainly be an irrelevance, since Ermor/Lemuria will likely go Dom10, and for everything else, there's priests. Second Sun, actually going to slow you down if you're in a strong enough position to use it, because rivers are a much more common barrier than mountain ranges.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Purgatory is very good, if Ermor tries to invade you when you have 5+ candles their decent troops will just evaporate. If you're in a position where MA/LA Ermor has a ton of temples and is pushing dominion everywhere then you're probably boned anyway

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Schneeble may still have our notes from when we were trying to get Awesome Heroes going, if you're interested. I'm not sure your ideas will align super well with mine, but it's worth a try. Talk at me on IRC if you like, or I have PMs.

I just went diggin around for that file and it was not in any of the likely locations. If it turns up I'll let you know but in the meantime you'll have to go from memory and/or current inspiration.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Yeah. I've noticed people knocking sleepers, but for the price of GoR alone you can get two of those guys.

They have really good combat stats, recuperation, and come pre-equiped with nice high prot/low enc armour, a large shield, and magic weapons (including range 25 magic javelins!). Stick on an amulet of luck or something and they're good to go.

They're probably not going to be rampaging through the countryside on their own, but they don't look completely awful to me.

Amulet of Luck isn't much good on thugs anymore, because luck is different now. You'll want something like Vine Shield or maybe Floating Shield

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Lute

New newbie game, MA, 180 provinces, blah blah. I am too lazy to change this formula right now people. Sign up if you want to play, newbies only, I will boot you if I think you're too experienced because yeah sure why not. Enjoy!

Edit: Server is live, feel free to upload your gods as you sign up. Please no Ermor, thanks.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 29, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Vanilla fire has always felt the weakest to me or maybe I'm just bad. What should I be sinking fire gems into besides raging hearts, some battle magic, and maybe a little forging? I tend to just dump them into lanterns or turn them into pearls.

I've been playing around with modding ideas, and one of the things I've been considering is adding a communion spell to fire. F2, probably conjuration, probably with a higher fatigue than the base communion spells. Fire definitely needs something - and this would add some interesting flavor, too. I've been going through the janky spreadsheet of mages I'm putting together and looking to see if this expands the power of any nations too far - most of the nations that seem to benefit aren't exactly powerhouses already.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kenlon posted:

I've been playing around with modding ideas, and one of the things I've been considering is adding a communion spell to fire. F2, probably conjuration, probably with a higher fatigue than the base communion spells. Fire definitely needs something - and this would add some interesting flavor, too. I've been going through the janky spreadsheet of mages I'm putting together and looking to see if this expands the power of any nations too far - most of the nations that seem to benefit aren't exactly powerhouses already.

Is there any spell other than Curse of Stones that adds encumbrance to units? Maybe something with medium range, high precision, small AoE that's earlier in the tech trees? That kind of makes some sort of sense as a fire spell and would add another tool for trying to counter early game elite units/thugging.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tulip posted:

Is there any spell other than Curse of Stones that adds encumbrance to units? Maybe something with medium range, high precision, small AoE that's earlier in the tech trees? That kind of makes some sort of sense as a fire spell and would add another tool for trying to counter early game elite units/thugging.

The other thing that the game needs is more ritual magic with actual teeth. That could be helpful for the weaker combat magic lines.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Kristoffer.Osterman posted:

Since before the founding of Agartha there has been a forbidden chamber under the Roots of the Earth. Agarthan legends tell of three dark gods of an earlier age imprisoned with the help of the first Pale Ones. The Seal was strengthened with the souls of thousands of Pale Ones who gave their lives to protect the world from the Imprisoned Ones. Now the Seal seems to be weakening and a there are rumors of a crack in the Seal. Some Oracles of the Dead have heard silent whispers in their dreams. Whispers of promise. A promise to spare the Agarthan people when if the Imprisoned Ones are released. The oldest and most influential of the Oracles of the Dead has spoken against it, but desperate times need desperate measures, and the whispered promise has not been forgotten.
Looks like we're looking forward to 3 new pretenders for Agartha.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Looks like we're looking forward to 3 new pretenders for Agartha.

Just watch. 3 new chassis, highest atk stat between them will be 9.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kenlon posted:

The other thing that the game needs is more ritual magic with actual teeth. That could be helpful for the weaker combat magic lines.

Wasn't this one of the selling points for Fire?

Maybe it could use a dissent-raising ritual (as well as a higher end 'blow up troops' spell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There is a unrest raising ritual, burning hearts

• Locked thread