Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hammerite posted:

If you have easy access to 2-max-IV Ditto via the Friend Safari then with some perseverance and a little luck you will be able to get 3-max-IV Ditto.

If you catch a Ditto in the Friend Safari, the probability that it has precisely 2 max IVs is about 0.8807. The probability that it has three or more is about 0.1193. That means if you went out to the Safari and caught 9 Ditto you would expect to get one with 3 or more max IVs (in fact the expected value is 1.07). If you want you can get more in-depth and say "well ok but it's a bit useless if those IVs include both attacking stats, what is the probability of getting 3 max IVs that exclude one or both attacking stats" and then the probabilities look a bit worse, but only a bit.

Alternatively, you can start with a Mantyke/Mime Jr/Azuril/etc other baby pokemon that cannot breed that are guaranteed 3 perfect IVs in the right egg group and go from there. Usually easier than dealing with Dittos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Are there any differences of which Pokemon can be found between X/Y or is it just the appearance of Mega Charizard that changes?
There are always differences in which Pokémon can be found.

Also, there is no "Mega Charizard". Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y are caused by separate Mega Stones, Charizardite X and Charizardite Y.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Anatharon posted:

Are there any differences of which Pokemon can be found between X/Y or is it just the appearance of Mega Charizard that changes?

Also I remember a Pokemon that was a walking robot tank thing. What was it called?

There are some exclusives, but none are majorly better or powerhouses.

And Registeel.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anatharon posted:

Also I remember a Pokemon that was a walking robot tank thing. What was it called?

Metagross? Registeel?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Mega Charizard X is Fire/Dragon with Tough Claws (powers up direct contact attacks). Mega Charizard Y is Fire/Flying with Drought.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

There are some exclusives, but none are majorly better or powerhouses.

And Registeel.

That's the one. Thanks!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Anatharon posted:

Golurk?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Genesect?

Jesus there are alot of these things.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 28, 2013

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Anatharon posted:

It's Pikachu!

Goddamnit, Arrgh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I am Reverend posted:

It's Pikachu!

Goddamnit, Arrgh

This loving video kills me every time

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

This loving video kills me every time

I like to think that's the same dude from the snorlax video.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So can I use the power items in conjunction with the Destiny Knot? I have a Froakie with 4 perfect IVs in Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Def and Speed, and Protean, and a Ditto with a perfect IV in HP. Could I give Ditto the Power Weight and Froakie the Destiny Knot and eventually get perfect IVs in all 5 stats on a Froakie? I know I can do this WITHOUT involving the Power Weight but it certainly will make it easier. The Froakies I've hatched so far have all had perfect HP and at least one other perfect stat, so I'm guessing yes, I just want to be 100% sure what I'm aiming for is possible with enough effort.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 28, 2013

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Quick question, does suction cups still work if the lead pokemon with it is knocked out?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

nerdbot posted:

So can I use the power items in conjunction with the Destiny Knot? I have a Froakie with 4 perfect IVs in Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Def and Speed, and Protean, and a Ditto with a perfect IV in HP. Could I give Ditto the Power Weight and Froakie the Destiny Knot and eventually get perfect IVs in all 5 stats on a Froakie? I know I can do this WITHOUT involving the Power Weight but it certainly will make it easier. The Froakies I've hatched so far have all had perfect HP and at least one other perfect stat, so I'm guessing yes, I just want to be 100% sure what I'm aiming for is possible with enough effort.

I didn't even seem able to reliably use two pokemon with different power items, to get those two stats, so I'm going to guess it wouldn't be a sure thing. It might just guarantee that one of the five stats the destiny knot chooses is the one you put the power item on.

e: I didn't even realize this is what you were trying to do. I'm certain that will work.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Quick question, does suction cups still work if the lead pokemon with it is knocked out?

on this I'm fairly certain it will.

Raizor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 28, 2013

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Filthy Haiku posted:

It does.

nerdbot posted:

Not really sure about that.
Normally, without any items, the parents will pass down 3 random IVs(Destiny Knot increases this to 5.), while with just a Power Item you can guarantee one passing down, and 2 other random IVs are still passed down.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

nerdbot posted:

Destiny Knot + Power Item does work. You won't get the right nature, but only one parent needs the right nature. I do this all the time to get a 5IV parent to breed with a 4IV natured parent.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

rhoga posted:

Destiny Knot + Power Item does work. You won't get the right nature, but only one parent needs the right nature. I do this all the time to get a 5IV parent to breed with a 4IV natured parent.

What I was planning to do was get a 5 IV Froakie, then breed THAT Froakie with a Ditto with the nature I DO want until I get a Froakie with 5 perfect IVs and a good nature. Coincidentally, all the Froakies I've gotten out of this have very good natures.

I'm normally not too crazy over getting good IVs, but I have the materials to put together a really good Froakie so hey, why the heck not.

EDIT: ......It turns out the Ditto I have with Timid ALSO has perfect HP, so I could've made this a little easier on myself than I did. Whoops. The Froakie I'm using also has Timid, and really I could've just used that Froakie just fine, but I wanted to experiment with breeding something simple before I move onto bigger "projects".

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 28, 2013

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man I must not be doing this chain fishing thing right because I've had several 50+ chains and not seen a shiny yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Balon posted:

Man I must not be doing this chain fishing thing right because I've had several 50+ chains and not seen a shiny yet.

250 with no shiny is my record, it's more common than purely in the wild, but folks saying "30 catches are so" are getting a skewed result from reporting bias.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Bruceski posted:

250 with no shiny is my record, it's more common than purely in the wild, but folks saying "30 catches are so" are getting a skewed result from reporting bias.

It's surely skewed, but I can attest to finding a shiny Relicanth around 20-30 pokemon. It was the only time I actually got that high of my three attempts, the others I hosed up the prompt earlier than that. I suppose my retribution was it being a relicanth.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bruceski posted:

Oops, sorry to be one of those guys immediately after you responded:

About 15 in to a new chain.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

You can find Rotom in the bins in the Lost Hotel on Tuesdays sometimes, and something else in the ones in Pokémon Village.

You can search them so that sometimes they can contain prizes, and so that you can get a medal for it.

What else does the Lost Hotel have? I forgot I ran around that area then got stuck and left.

I should definitely put a Rotom on my team though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What else does the Lost Hotel have? I forgot I ran around that area then got stuck and left.

I should definitely put a Rotom on my team though.

The Garbodor line aka the best Pokemon ever.

Also Magneton and Electrode which seems like a really late appearance for both of them but w/e.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I heard that you can find Shuppet there on Thursdays, but I haven't confirmed it. It makes sense that you can find it the same place as Rotom.

Klefki, too, is a fairly common encounter.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I heard that you can find Shuppet there on Thursdays, but I haven't confirmed it. It makes sense that you can find it the same place as Rotom.

Banette is actually in the trash cans at the Pokemon Village on Thursdays, but not at the hotel.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The Garbodor line aka the best Pokemon ever.

Also Magneton and Electrode which seems like a really late appearance for both of them but w/e.

Oh that's why people keep trading rare things for my electrodes, I guess I caught a couple while I was wandering around.

Magneton turned out to be completely broken if you get him early on, in BW2 he can basically solo the game. Sonicboom is usually useless but he gets it at a low enough level that 20 damage is still a lot, and nothing in the main story could really deal with his resistances.

Bongo Bill posted:

Klefki, too, is a fairly common encounter.

Yeah that's the only place I've seen a Klefki too. Which I also want to put into my party because the Prankster T-Wave/Swagger/Play Rough/Sub set seems too awesome to waste.

I'm gonna end up having no slots left for things that aren't fun gimmicks

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

I learned this second-hand so someone can feel free to correct me, but apparently Smogon has discovered that the abilities that change a move's type (Pixilate, Refridgerate, and Aerialate) also give a 1.3x boost on top of STAB after changing the type. Unless I'm mistaken, that means Sylveon's and Gardevoir's best stab is Hyper Voice, Aurorus gets Nature Power-turned-Tri Attack on wi-fi which beats out Ice Beam, and Mega Pinsir does even stupider damage with Return/Thrash.

I haven't been able to find anything about this and am becoming more and more convinced it's bullshit, but I really want it to be true. Has anyone else heard anything to this effect, or can at least prove it's bullshit?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

LAY-ZX posted:

I haven't been able to find anything about this and am becoming more and more convinced it's bullshit, but I really want it to be true. Has anyone else heard anything to this effect, or can at least prove it's bullshit?

I read the same thing on Smogon, actually, with people posting damage numbers on moves that should've been impossible to achieve without that boost being in effect. Just found it again, in the Pinsir thread there: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pinsir.3489976/page-3#post-4918366

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I read the same thing on Smogon, actually, with people posting damage numbers on moves that should've been impossible to achieve without that boost being in effect. Just found it again, in the Pinsir thread there: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pinsir.3489976/page-3#post-4918366

loving awesome. I knew those abilities couldn't be as worthless as they sounded.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Why are people on Pokemon Showdown so bitter?
me - "Charizard X is beastly!" (I've seen him nearly sweep a team. If not for snow warning causing Hale, he WOULD'VE swept the team)
him - "Only cuz of crit"
Dude.
It was a Talonflame.
Dragon Dance Charizard X wouldn't have had a problem.

Sidenote holy poo poo Charizard X is so good you guys. Especially as an opener.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Classtoise posted:

Why are people on Pokemon Showdown so bitter?
me - "Charizard X is beastly!" (I've seen him nearly sweep a team. If not for snow warning causing Hale, he WOULD'VE swept the team)
him - "Only cuz of crit"
Dude.
It was a Talonflame.
Dragon Dance Charizard X wouldn't have had a problem.

Sidenote holy poo poo Charizard X is so good you guys. Especially as an opener.

The only problem with Mega guys is you only get 1 on your team, so you really have to make it count. Like Mega Tyranitar seems neat but normal Tyranitar is already pretty awesome so there's no real reason to use your mega slot on him. Mega Aggron is a nice gimmick (he's basically impossible to kill with physical attacks) but if you use him you're giving up all the really strong guys like Gengar, Scizor or Lucario.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Where does Mr. Bonding spawn for the last hatching power?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pandaK posted:

Cafe Introvision. Or is it introversion? Whatever it's the cafe left of the south pokemon center.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Out of curiosity, why is it that people are preferring Mega Gengar over Mega Alakazam or Mega Aerodactyl, which seem like they'd be even more fearsome sweepers? Does Shadow Tag really make that much of a difference?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

pandaK posted:

Fly to lower Lumiose, it's the cafe next door to the poke center. Cafe Introvert.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Out of curiosity, why is it that people are preferring Mega Gengar over Mega Alakazam or Mega Aerodactyl, which seem like they'd be even more fearsome sweepers? Does Shadow Tag really make that much of a difference?

Shadow Tag is absolutely broken yeah. It's less about straight up sweeping, it means that at any point in the match your guy is at risk of getting trapped and killed, it changes how you have to play. He can come in after anything has been knocked out and get a revenge kill and you can't stop him easily.

Edit: Worth mentioning that Gengar gets stuff like Hypnosis on top of that. Usually you switch out a sleeping pokemon as dead weight but he can sit there and do whatever he wants.

Or he can run Taunt, and trap in a pokemon trying to lay down hazards like Spikes and Stealth rock. Since it's taunted it can't do that anymore and has to rely on (probably weak) attacks.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 28, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Magic Guard Alakazam holding a Life Orb is more powerful than Mega Alakazam and Mega Alakazam only gets some speed, and a minuscule amount of defense, to make up for it. Alakazam already has issues with KOing threats and dealing with priority, and Mega Alakazam doesn't offer much to help.

In contrast, holy poo poo Mega Gyarados might be one of the more surprisingly good Mega forms. Mold Breaker is an absolute 'gently caress You' to a lot of pokemon that wall an offensive DD set, Rotom and Gengar especially as it can spam earthquake without worrying about Levitate, and it gets bulky enough that its able to survive at least one good electric attack once they're knocked down to 2X effectiveness. The best part is that he's threatening as hell either way, but totally different pokemon are good against the normal and Mega forms. Like Scizor rarely carries anything that can dent regular Gyarados, but Bug absolutely fucks up Mega Gyarados. Ditto, but reverse, for Rotom who almost totally walls normal Gyarados but goes down like a chump to Mega Gyarados. As long as you don't telegraph you're going Mega, people will often switch in their Rotoms and you can get delicious KOs off of them.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The real best mega is Mawile, because on top of being able to kill drat near everything in one hit he can Sucker Punch all of the loving Talonflames out of the sky before they can do anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LAY-ZX posted:

The real best mega is Mawile, because on top of being able to kill drat near everything in one hit he can Sucker Punch all of the loving Talonflames out of the sky before they can do anything.

Best counter I've found to Talonflame?

No joke, Avalugg. He's so sturdy Talonflames have issues 2HKOing him with Flare Blitz and he can OHKO with Avalanche or Stone Edge. He's been such a weirdly great addition to my team, mostly because no one has any idea how to deal with him yet (use any special attack in existence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

UPDATE ON MY FROAKIE BREEDING QUEST:

I finally got one with 5 perfect IVs and Timid!

...but it has Torrent, not Protean :negative:

At least I can toss this guy into the daycare and slightly up the odds of good stats.

• Locked thread