Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
omakase chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Otto Skorzeny posted:

omakase chef

man this is a really terrible snipe

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
this thread gets all of two posts per hour, there's no point in snyping

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:justpost:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

post post post

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Monkeyseesaw posted:

since "front-end" seems to basically mean "browser" what do you call the devs working on, say, the server-side MVC site? it's front-end in the sense that it's just slinging html at the user in response to requests where the majority of the work is done via some web service but it's still working in useful languages like java or c# unless you're in some fly-by-night plang startup

we call that the backend team here, but it's not really backend, because all their java code really does is call out to the real backend services, which don't have to deal with mvc bullshit. a lot of the java's just a layer of indirection/caching

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Otto Skorzeny posted:

omakase chef

i specifically said no ruby :mad:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

we call that the backend team here, but it's not really backend, because all their java code really does is call out to the real backend services, which don't have to deal with mvc bullshit. a lot of the java's just a layer of indirection/caching

we have a subsystem called the backend already (it's the web services that do the real work) so the web site layer has always been the frontend. but then we started hiring html jockies to help with design and styling and things got awkward. i've still not found a good way to distinguish between "devs that work on the web site layer" and "devs that work on the browser layer". sometimes "frontend" vs. "web" is used but that's pretty ambiguous and arbitrary.

my labels :qq:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if you know every http status code but not the difference between ip and tcp, you might be a "web" "developer"

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
crosspost from the coding horrors thread (courtesy of Jewel)

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/10/24/php-net-blocked-by-google-false-positive-or-not.html

~*php*~

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
they are having some web monkey gathering in my city which they actually proper-named (the) "developer conference". as in they didn't want to call themselves "web developers" because that would sound like braindeads who know nothing about computers.

obviously the conference program is full of stuff like how to make ruby "blazing fast".

i'll probably know some people in attendance, so i'm contemplating just buying whiskey from the money a ticket would cost and camping out in front of the venue writing compilers or something.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Monkeyseesaw posted:

we have a subsystem called the backend already (it's the web services that do the real work) so the web site layer has always been the frontend. but then we started hiring html jockies to help with design and styling and things got awkward. i've still not found a good way to distinguish between "devs that work on the web site layer" and "devs that work on the browser layer". sometimes "frontend" vs. "web" is used but that's pretty ambiguous and arbitrary.

yeah we call the browser layer (javascript, html, css) "frontend", and the web site layer (java spring whatever bs) "backend"

this works out great for the REAL backend programmers. we don't fit into their team structure, so we just get left alone, and don't have to go to either team's meetings :getin:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
i started doing some frontend and some backend in php of all things. then i abandoned frontend and was "team lead" aka "here have some useless juniors and try to keep them from loving up everything". then i was backend architect with symfony2 (good loving lord was it slow). then i did research along the lines of weird poo poo like face recognition and cluster analysis using java. then i became cto and have never touched a line of code since. some days i wonder what the gently caress i even do other than get into skype calls with people who want to sell me something, and going to meetings.

the best language is no language

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

i started doing some frontend and some backend in php of all things. then i abandoned frontend and was "team lead" aka "here have some useless juniors and try to keep them from loving up everything". then i was backend architect with symfony2 (good loving lord was it slow). then i did research along the lines of weird poo poo like face recognition and cluster analysis using java. then i became cto and have never touched a line of code since. some days i wonder what the gently caress i even do other than get into skype calls with people who want to sell me something, and going to meetings.

the best language is no language

this is YOSPOS as gently caress

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

double riveting posted:

they are having some web monkey gathering in my city which they actually proper-named (the) "developer conference". as in they didn't want to call themselves "web developers" because that would sound like braindeads who know nothing about computers.

obviously the conference program is full of stuff like how to make ruby "blazing fast".

i'll probably know some people in attendance, so i'm contemplating just buying whiskey from the money a ticket would cost and camping out in front of the venue writing compilers or something.

writing a compiler is even less useful than making ruby "blazing fast" unless you are literally contributing to llvm

for the sake of llvm i hope you arent!!!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

loving lol

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Bloody posted:

writing a compiler is even less useful than making ruby "blazing fast" unless you are literally contributing to llvm

no it's very useful! for learning how not to do it, of course.

Xipe Totec
Jan 27, 2006

by Ralp
could anyone point me to some useful resources / guides for teaching coding?

there is a refugee camp 3 mins from where i work, and i'm gonna start teaching there an evening or 2 per week.
the learners would be young people 18-20 who've just finished school but are now not allowed to work or go to college.

i havent met them yet to ask what they're interested in, but i was thinking to offer them the options of:
  • going thru the examples in natureofcode.com
  • computer games with python
  • making websites
  • moocs like udacity or coursera

i'm mostly wondering how to make it a learning experience thats fun & engaging, and which can also develop some momentum.
i've only been prgramming for 1 year so dont know much, but i think i can rope some colleagues into giving a hand.

im asking advice from friends who teach 'coder dojo' to kids on saturday mornings, tho this is for a younger age range
tia!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

http://home.cmit.net/rwolbeck/programmingtutorial/

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

PleasingFungus posted:

hey tef

just found this snippet in someone else's code (that I'm maintaining/twiddling) & thought of you

Python code:
def str_or_list_of_str(value):
    '''
    Coerces a value which is either a str or [str] into a list of strings.
    '''
    if type(value) == str:
        return [value]
    if type(value) == list:
        return list(map(str, value))
    return []
:3: python :3:

this is bothering me, why

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

arent strings just list of integers/characters, not real strings? so its coercing lists into pythons fake lovely string implementation

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
i think its the other way around; python doesn't have characters, it has one-element strings

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

VanillaKid posted:

i think its the other way around; python doesn't have characters, it has one-element strings

yes

code:
>>> "foo"[0]
'f'
>>> "foo"[0] == "f"
True
>>> "foo"[0][0][0][0][0][0][0] == "f"
True

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Opinion Haver posted:

yes

code:
>>> "foo"[0]
'f'
>>> "foo"[0] == "f"
True
>>> "foo"[0][0][0][0][0][0][0] == "f"
True

i don't understand the third one; what's going on there?

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
"foo"[0] => "f" # still a string
"f"[0] => "f"
"f"[0][0] => "f" # etc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the first character of "f" is "f"

the first character of the first character of "f" is "f"

the first character of the first character of the first character of "f" is "f"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk python but if i had to guess. the index operation returns a string so "foo"[0] is "f" and then all the subsequent calls are doing "f"[0] which always returns "f"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is bothering me, why

because typechecking is bad mmmkay

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VanillaKid posted:

"foo"[0] => "f" # still a string
"f"[0] => "f"
"f"[0][0] => "f" # etc.

Suspicious Dish posted:

the first character of "f" is "f"

the first character of the first character of "f" is "f"

the first character of the first character of the first character of "f" is "f"

oh, duh. i get it now. sorry about the confusion :downs:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey Suspicious Dish you mentioned that you hate Vala earlier, why is that?

it's for a project

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I work with a lot of people who really love Vala. It's not a terrible language, and it actually has some pretty awesome features such as method bodies in interfaces. My main experience with it is working with libraries that are written in Vala, and they usually expose void* everywhere as their interface.

The only other thing is that debugging with gdb is abnormally hard because you have to debug all these _tmp21 = foo(); statements that are hard to pick out the original source line. I've heard that they actually put comments for every source line, so maybe it isn't too bad now.

If it's a just toy project or app, maybe you'll like it.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
lol i went to read about the new "lambdas" in java 8 today

http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/function/package-summary.html
welp

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

years and years of arguing to deliver a big stinky turd of a feature. java is the most yospos language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
seems fine to me. I think people were also (incorrectly) expecting linq which makes lambdas more useful.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ugh those dumb people expecting a useful feature instead of a half baked one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well you had p-langers going all "LAMBDAS LAMDAS LAMDAS YOU GOTTA HAVE LAMDAS!!!" and now java has lambdas that are as useful as they are in p-langs which is not very useful.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
LAMBDAS LAMDAS LAMDAS YOU GOTTA HAVE LAMDAS!!!

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
we should do a survey of which languages have "lambdas" where you can do anything at all with the lambda besides execute it
like say determine whether or not some I/O operation will successfully run

if you can't, then a lambda is a glorified function pointer

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
something something code as data abstract machine von neumann architecture

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

java 8 adds function pointers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006