Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Install Windows posted:

That is using it actively. If you smoked up in your house and went outside still high you wouldn't be.

Well it's sure nice that no one ever claimed the first amendment protected all speech all the time? You're trying to claim I'm derailing when you're pulling that out?
You're beyond hope, but for anyone playing along: if we had a constitutional amendment protecting the right to be in an altered state of mind, any laws prohibiting the mechanism required to achieve that state of mind would be plainly unconstitutional. It's the sort of thing that wouldn't even get to the Supreme Court because it would get smacked down immediately. The legal system isn't composed of dumb robots, or Something Awful forums users unable to acknowledge when they are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

You're beyond hope, but for anyone playing along: if we had a constitutional amendment protecting the right to be in an altered state of mind, any laws prohibiting the mechanism required to achieve that state of mind would be plainly unconstitutional. It's the sort of thing that wouldn't even get to the Supreme Court because it would get smacked down immediately. The legal system isn't composed of dumb robots, or Something Awful forums users unable to acknowledge when they are wrong.

No, a constitutional amendment "protecting" a "right to be in an altered state of mind" would in no way mean that prohibiting certain ways to achieve it was unconstitutional. For one thing, I doubt very much such thing would be written while allowing children and teens to freely buy and use them.

Stop trying to defend that guy's stupid proposal which doesn't even make sense.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A weed amendment, or an altered consciousness amendment, or whatever is a pretty stupid idea. This isn't Prohibition where an amendment was passed in the first place and needs another to undo it. Practically speaking if you wanted to force states to decriminalize the way you'd do it would be to tie some federal funding to it. And no politician wants to deal with attack ads about how they're forcing weed over the objection of the states.

The Federal government descheduling marijuana would be a huge step in itself. As it stands the "states' rights" argument is for decriminalization, the Federal government forcing it on states would probably fracture the coalition, apart from it being a total pipe dream for other reasons.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Actually, why would any action involved in achieving an altered state of consciousness be unconstitutional? Just because the state achieved is perfectly protected, does not mean the actual process is. It doesn't make sense, but arguably, being in that state doesn't imply willful entrance into that state. Similarly, engaging in the process to try and achieve an altered state of consciousness may not actually achieve it. So as one doesn't necessarily imply the other, making one legal and the other illegal is perfectly doable.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

KingEup posted:

Medicos are only just realising this:

If this is actually true, and prohibition has retarded medical advancement, who is going to be held accountable? Lying about the harms of cigarettes cost big tobacco roughly $200 billion.

What do you get fined for lying about the benefits of cannabis?

Imagine… what happens the moment that the Federal government admits its’ culpability in failing to use the only real standard – science – in determining the validity of maintaining cannabis prohibition.

Imagine… after that admission, the resulting tsunami of litigation from every person whose life was destroyed by the policy of cannabis prohibition.

This is not idle speculation; you may be assured that such a scenario has been considered by those in power behind the scenes. They know that such an admission is what the forces of prohibition, and the FedGov itself, are terrified of. Millions upon millions of lawsuits, all justly claiming recompense for lives destroyed by government lies…told by government-sanctioned liars. Who KNEW they were lying. The treasury would be drained in a week…or the currency so debauched that the economic system, already teetering on the knife’s-edge, would come crashing down under the weight of hyper-inflated, worthless currency printed to pay out those lawsuits.

Edit: I've just inadvertantly convinced myself with 99% certainty that the Feds will not reschedule cannabis. This is going to be grass roots State-by-State combat for my lifetime at least.

Look up "sovereign immunity".

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would be unconstitutional for the Federal government to pass a law that barred states from passing a law of their own.
Not much to say here other than that you are entirely incorrect, as the supremacy clause and federal preemption are Constitution Law 101.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TenementFunster posted:

Not much to say here other than that you are entirely incorrect, as the supremacy clause and federal preemption are Constitution Law 101.

In fairness that hasn't stopped Alito so who knows what would actually happen.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

The bad news:

The state wants medical dispensaries and people who grow a plant in their back yard shut down, since they can't tax those things.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Washington-state-agencies-recommend-reining-in-medical-pot-228704151.html

The new law was about legalizing for recreational use, not setting artificial limits on the recreational side that would necessitate the destruction of the medical MJ industry.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TenementFunster posted:

Absolutely, the Federal government can certainly pass laws, and those laws preempt state law. In many cases states and the Federal government have similar interests and can regulate similar things.

Due to the general Federal nature of the system and specifically the 10th, it is, however, unconstitutional for the Federal government to pass a law saying "states can't write laws about X" except in fairly narrow, enumerated circumstances (f.ex interstate commerce). Drug law is not one of these places where the Federal government holds sole legislative power. You can test this claim easily by looking at the passing of state-level drug laws for spice, which would be illegal if that were a federally reserved power.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda hoping that the retail stores here in WA would be open by Election Day this year, but by most estimates I could find it won't be available until at least late spring/summer.
A shame as I'd rather not go the illegal route.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Mrit posted:

I was kinda hoping that the retail stores here in WA would be open by Election Day this year, but by most estimates I could find it won't be available until at least late spring/summer.

Don't get your hopes up! They went and set limitations to the commercial sector now the only way it can compete with the medical sector is to shut down the medical sector and are driving the narrative that the legal MMJ needs to be "reined in".

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Look up "sovereign immunity".

Even in the most wild "legalize everything" discussions I never even hear anyone mention punishing the government. Everyone realizes that would make legalization impossible and are willing to drop it because of that.

The way I see it working is the law is the law. If they change the law to make something formally illegal legal that does not change the fact that the previous criminals where violating a law that was in place. Someone busted for selling drugs was exploiting the black market status a Federal ban created.

It does however make sense to look into releasing a large number of inmates just for the reduction in cost alone. Many prisons are already overcrowded and it would seem natural for it to become precedent to just release all non-violent offenders. The release would not remove their previous crime or entitle them to litigation it would just be a reduction of sentence.

The war on drugs has destroyed millions of lives on both sides. The government has been wasting millions billions of dollars and countless lives on the enforcement end as well. Many police officers have died fighting legitimate criminal empires who exploit drug sale profits to fund other criminal activities. It is in everyones best interest to move on and I would support legislation federally even if it granted immunity to certain parties.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Paul MaudDib posted:

Absolutely, the Federal government can certainly pass laws, and those laws preempt state law. In many cases states and the Federal government have similar interests and can regulate similar things.

Due to the general Federal nature of the system and specifically the 10th, it is, however, unconstitutional for the Federal government to pass a law saying "states can't write laws about X" except in fairly narrow, enumerated circumstances (f.ex interstate commerce). Drug law is not one of these places where the Federal government holds sole legislative power. You can test this claim easily by looking at the passing of state-level drug laws for spice, which would be illegal if that were a federally reserved power.
again, this is incorrect. when congress expressly or implicitly preempts state law or regulation, congress has broad constitutional authority under the supremacy clause. I don't see congress ever passing a law that says "state laws against weed are now exempted by federal law," but preemption is still A Thing, in spite of your minority view on the 10th Amendment

twodot posted:

You're beyond hope, but for anyone playing along: if we had a constitutional amendment protecting the right to be in an altered state of mind, any laws prohibiting the mechanism required to achieve that state of mind would be plainly unconstitutional.
no, they absolutely wouldn't. what is it with this thread and radically ignorant views on the basics of constitutional law?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Mrit posted:

Grow your own! I just harvested my first Amendment 64 crop that I've been growing outside in my backyard in full view of my neighbors. Tasty poo poo too!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Fiend posted:

Don't get your hopes up! They went and set limitations to the commercial sector now the only way it can compete with the medical sector is to shut down the medical sector and are driving the narrative that the legal MMJ needs to be "reined in".

I don't care about any of the medical vs. non-medical argument. I just want to try (legal) pot. And I like that less people will pointlessly go to jail and that the state will have a bit extra cash for its finances.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Grow your own! I just harvested my first Amendment 64 crop that I've been growing outside in my backyard in full view of my neighbors. Tasty poo poo too!
Washington. Not Colorado.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FYI this is a violation of Colorado law. cultivation can only occur "in an enclosed, locked space" that is not conducted "openly or publicly."

hope you don't end up in prison!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

again, this is incorrect. when congress expressly or implicitly preempts state law or regulation, congress has broad constitutional authority under the supremacy clause. I don't see congress ever passing a law that says "state laws against weed are now exempted by federal law," but preemption is still A Thing, in spite of your minority view on the 10th Amendment

You're missing the point. Federal supremacy only applies if Congress has the authority to pass the law in the first place. I don't think "states cannot pass X law" is one of those powers, but if you have a case that shows otherwise, I'd be interested in reading about it.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TenementFunster posted:

Yes, but Congress doesn't have the authority to pass a law that says "States cannot regulate this" except where explicitly enumerated (Commerce clauses, immigration, etc). This isn't a minority view of law, states absolutely have the ability to be more restrictive than the Federal government and the Federal government cannot stop them unless the state tramples an incorporated constitutional protection or a Federally reserved power.

Feel free to provide some counterexamples if you disagree, or pop into the Supreme Court thread and see what the legal eagles say.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 28, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'd recommend you both perform an internet search for "federal preemption" and start reading associated cases.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

hepatizon posted:

You're missing the point. Federal supremacy only applies if Congress has the authority to pass the law in the first place. I don't think "states cannot pass X law" is one of those powers, but if you have a case that shows otherwise, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Edgar v. MITE Corp is probably the most important case, as well as Gonzales v. Raich. There's zero chance that Congress would actually do such a thing though, seeing as how they're fine with letting states place additional regulations on alcohol and tobacco.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

no, they absolutely wouldn't. what is it with this thread and radically ignorant views on the basics of constitutional law?
Can you cite a case where we have an amendment that protects the right to have X, but not the means of getting X? I've tried to think of an example, but the concept is so insane that I doubt one exists.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Can I think of an amendment that doesn't confer an absolute right in every practical application? All of them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

Can I think of an amendment that doesn't confer an absolute right in every practical application? All of them.
I never asserted that the proposed amendment would confer an absolute right in every practical application, just that the proposed amendment would lead to striking down at least one law, and specifically it would strike down Washington's you are literally never allowed to use marijuana in public view law.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

FYI this is a violation of Colorado law. cultivation can only occur "in an enclosed, locked space" that is not conducted "openly or publicly."

hope you don't end up in prison!
There are quite a few interpretations of that, along with some other parts of A64 like public consumption that will be enforced as differently as there are police departments in this state.

In my opinion, my backyard is fenced, surrounded by trees and bushes, has a locked gate, and is not visible from any public areas. To me that is an enclosed, locked space that is not open to the public view.

My biggest concern was my neighbors complaining about the smell, but so far they haven't even mentioned it to me when I talk with them. Now my biggest issue it keeping the dog hair out of the buds :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

twodot posted:

Can you cite a case where we have an amendment that protects the right to have X, but not the means of getting X? I've tried to think of an example, but the concept is so insane that I doubt one exists.
The Consitution confers a right to the 'pursuit of happiness', and if drugs make me happy then banning them at all is already unconstitutional! Ditto for prostitutes and gambling, this infringement of my rights has gone on long enough already :mad:

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Mrit posted:

I don't care about any of the medical vs. non-medical argument. I just want to try (legal) pot. And I like that less people will pointlessly go to jail and that the state will have a bit extra cash for its finances.

People will pointlessly go to jail if the pull the rug out from under the medical community. The recreational community cannot meet the demands of the medical community let alone their own projected base and have suggested the medical community be hamstrung to "protect" tax revenue.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There are quite a few interpretations of that, along with some other parts of A64 like public consumption that will be enforced as differently as there are police departments in this state.

In my opinion, my backyard is fenced, surrounded by trees and bushes, has a locked gate, and is not visible from any public areas. To me that is an enclosed, locked space that is not open to the public view.

My biggest concern was my neighbors complaining about the smell, but so far they haven't even mentioned it to me when I talk with them. Now my biggest issue it keeping the dog hair out of the buds :(

How is it that you literally went from "I grow in full view of the neighbors! You should too!"

To "my backyard grow area is a fortress surrounded by 8 foot high trees and walls so no one can see" in 1 post?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You also state that "in your opinion" your backyard is enclosed by a fence etc.

Are you magic?

In my opinion my house has 4 walls, but others may see it differently, its all a matter of perspective you see.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

TACD posted:

The Consitution confers a right to the 'pursuit of happiness'
No it doesn't, but if it did a lot of our laws would be in a sticky situation.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Limastock posted:

How is it that you literally went from "I grow in full view of the neighbors! You should too!"

To "my backyard grow area is a fortress surrounded by 8 foot high trees and walls so no one can see" in 1 post?
How'd you go from "that's totally and utterly illegal I hope you don't go to prison."

To "well I guess that's acceptable but I'm going to give you crap about the details I'm imagining," in 2 posts?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Limastock posted:

You also state that "in your opinion" your backyard is enclosed by a fence etc.

Are you magic?

In my opinion my house has 4 walls, but others may see it differently, its all a matter of perspective you see.
Read your title text for my response.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I blame that devil weed marihuana for this semblantic derail.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How'd you go from "that's totally and utterly illegal I hope you don't go to prison."

To "well I guess that's acceptable but I'm going to give you crap about the details I'm imagining," in 2 posts?
You dont even know what poster you are responding to.

:laffo:

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 28, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dog, you said it was in clear view
of your neighbors, i.e. the public. anything less than an actual greenhouse probably wouldn't satisfy the "enclosed" requirement either for personal cultivation.

If your neighbors complained to the cops or your HOA or landlord or etc, you'll be in a world of hurt. take your next grow inside and stop giving out dangerously bad advice.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Yeah you're right, I got the homoerotic avatars and low-content posting mixed up. I'm sorry.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

dog, you said it was in clear view
of your neighbors, i.e. the public. anything less than an actual greenhouse probably wouldn't satisfy the "enclosed" requirement either.

If your neighbors complained to the cops or your HOA or landlord or etc, you'll be in a world of hurt. take your next grow inside and stop giving out dangerously bad advice.
They could have added "within a structure" to the end of the sentence and it would mean what you want it to mean but they didn't, did they? My bathroom window is also visible from my neighbors yard but I wouldn't say it's open to the public and neither would a judge.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah you're right, I got the homoerotic avatars and low-content posting mixed up. I'm sorry.

It is much easier to back-pedal when you just admit you goofed instead of acting like a brat and lashing out against posters for no real reason whatsoever. Just some postin' advice from Limastock (the one with the homoerotic avatar)

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They could have added "within a structure" to the end of the sentence and it would mean what you want it to mean but they didn't, did they? My bathroom window is also visible from my neighbors yard but I wouldn't say it's open to the public and neither would a judge.

Yeah you are totally right. If you put a large pot plant directly in your visible bathroom window the judge would definitely be cool with it.

Anyone looking for grow advice should hit up NathanScottPhillips marijuana grow blog. Updates coming to you soon from a federal prison library computer.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 28, 2013

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Limastock posted:

Yeah you are totally right. If you put a large pot plant directly in your visible bathroom window the judge would definitely be cool with it.

Anyone looking for grow advice should hit up NathanScottPhillips marijuana grow blog. Updates coming to you soon from a federal prison library computer.
Yeah I did admit to goofing, you quoted it.

Secondly, the Boulder, CO police decided that smoking on your front porch is considered a private place and is allowed so maybe it's not as clear-cut as you want it to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

your bathroom is also an enclosed space.

keep growing outside against the advice of a dude who has read every state and most local Amendment 64 related law and regulation at your own risk. it's a terrible idea and you should not be recommending it to others.

could you clarify why you have verbally ghettoized Pavel Petel as homoerotic? i would just hate to misclassify your bigotry.

• Locked thread