Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

skoolmunkee posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but as a girl I am curious whether there are any good LPs in the archive or currently running, by girls?

While not a video LP

Shadow Catboy did Planescape:Torment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

And Voidburger is presently doing an LP of The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Return.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you are looking for LPs done by women, don't forget Malorie's subtitle LP of Alone in The Dark I enjoyed it when it was first running and it holds up really well.

On another note: If you aren't watching kalonZombie's LP of Lollipop Chainsaw you need to go fix that. Pretty much all the hallmarks of a good LP like game knowledge and a good skill level are apparent, but you also get a good back and forth between Kalon and Ape who have done a number of LPs together in the past and they bring on guests who for the first four or five videos get to marvel at how absolutely insane the game can be. If you want to just see the story you can power through everything now, but the thread is now tackling Hard Mode. Also, KC Green may or may not be the guest on the latest episode.

salvador
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking for a chill and informative video lp of Neverwinter Nights 2 and the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. I've tried looking at a couple on youtube but none have really stood out so far. Any suggestions?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

salvador posted:

I'm looking for a chill and informative video lp of Neverwinter Nights 2 and the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. I've tried looking at a couple on youtube but none have really stood out so far. Any suggestions?

A video lp of those games? That would take so loving long and be boring as hell to watch, unless you're just having it on as background noise. I've played those games to death and that is just not a good idea.

E: I recommend reading Lt. Danger's SSLP of them instead. Or go play them yourself.

gatz fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 20, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

A video lp of those games? That would take so loving long and be boring as hell to watch, unless you're just having it on as background noise. I've played those games to death and that is just not a good idea.

Yeah, games with a ton of dialog, tons of repetitive fights/quests and such really do lend themselves to SSLP over a VLP because it is easier to excise repetitive content from episode to episode. A good example: Fallout 2. Actually, all the Fallout games in the archives are Screenshot, and I somehow doubt that is a coincidence.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm really interested in board game LPs-- a lot like the Risk LP in the archive-- and my interest was repiqued with Grey Hunter's LP of Where There is Discord. It's a solo board game set around the Falklands War, with the player managing world and domestic support for the war while attempting to overrun the Argentinians.

Are there any other LPs done in this style-- playing out a board game like this? I remember there was a great Risk Legacy LP in the forums for a while, but I think the OP had to call it off for personal stuff.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Isn't CrookedB a girl? For some reason I was under the impression she was, regardless, I would recommend her Wizardry IV LP either way because it is fantastic.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

skoolmunkee posted:

Thanks everyone! I will be sure and check them out. :]

Since I'm late to the recommendation party, I'll just thank you for the Dead Rising 2 LP and encourage others to check it out if they haven't. You and Richie Zed have a really good duo dynamic, and there's a good balance between getting stuff done and screwing around.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Aratoeldar posted:

While not a video LP

Shadow Catboy did Planescape:Torment

Shadow Catboy's a dude.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

BrainWeasel posted:

Since I'm late to the recommendation party, I'll just thank you for the Dead Rising 2 LP and encourage others to check it out if they haven't. You and Richie Zed have a really good duo dynamic, and there's a good balance between getting stuff done and screwing around.

I wonder if I was the only one that was going to recommend the DR2 LP before realizing who was asking the question.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

It's been recommended here already, but if you're not watching Men Drinking Coffee's Ride to Hell , you really should be. It's a humorous group LP taking a look at one of the most bizarrely bad games ever, and the commentators have great chemistry. IF you liked Chip and Ironicus' 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I've pretty much given up on trying to play AC3 but I am curious to see how it actually, are there any decent off-site LPs of the game? I'd love to watch one.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Not on-site, but Let's Play Obamacare!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Are there any funny gimmick LPs? Say, someone playing the sims as a soviet commissar who tries to bring bolshevism to the world of the sims. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done, but that's just an example off the top of my head. Some sort of gimmicky, narrative, humorous LP is what I'm looking for.

gatz fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 27, 2013

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

gatz posted:

Are there any funny gimmick LPs? Say, someone playing the sims as a soviet commissar who tries to bring bolshevism to the world of the sims. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done, but that's just an example off the top of my head. Some sort of gimmicky, narrative, humorous LP is what I'm looking for.

You mean, someone playing sims as if they were goons from D&D Australian politics thread?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

gatz posted:

You have seen TIE Fighter, right?

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

gatz posted:

There's the Galactic Civilizations II playthrough with a parliamentary system where each party is represented by one of the faction heads from Alpha Centauri. That was a fun read.

TheOneAsian
Oct 18, 2013

salvador posted:

Not NeverWinter Nights 2, but MyNameIsNotLily on Youtube plays Neverwinter Nights 1 and it is quite good. It is relaxed, informative, and ridiculously long.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dantheman650 posted:

It's been recommended here already, but if you're not watching Men Drinking Coffee's Ride to Hell , you really should be. It's a humorous group LP taking a look at one of the most bizarrely bad games ever, and the commentators have great chemistry. IF you liked Chip and Ironicus' 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Following up on this, how are their older LPs? I see in the archives they did Megaman Zero 1 & 2, The Golden Compass, and a big LP about advergames.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rirse posted:

Following up on this, how are their older LPs? I see in the archives they did Megaman Zero 1 & 2, The Golden Compass, and a big LP about advergames.

The advergames LP was gold, though I haven't seen any of the others mentioned.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

The Megaman Zero LP has some good moments, and is a pretty solid go for a first LP, but Anthony wasn't around yet for it. The group dynamic really comes into it's own with him around for the 2nd Megaman. Advergames was my introduction to them, and is pretty much one of the best gimmick threads in forum history. The Golden Compass is also another great LP of a truly lousy game, and is the current closest analog to Ride to Hell.

In my opinion, you should watch everything they have up on the archive. Honestly, you should probably watch everything on their YouTube channel as well, which includes a few non-LP videos / one-offs that never got posted on the forums. It's pretty much all solid gold.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 28, 2013

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Somebody has a crush! And it's also me. I also recommend most of MDC's older stuff.

To be specific, check out their Coffee Tank series on Xbox Live Indie Games in which they play and rate some of the worst garbage that you could run on a home console pre-OUYA. I really appreciate their willingness to put more effort into their videos than just playing-a-bad-game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyslexiactic posted:

Somebody has a crush! And it's also me. I also recommend most of MDC's older stuff.

It's not like Habermann recommends the MDC in every one of his podcasts!

My favourite video of theirs is probably the Minecraft special in which they save Christmas.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

gatz posted:

Look no further than The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. I'd rather not say the gimmick because it's amazing to see it go, but let's say things are not what they seem in the camp...

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As great as the AC LP was, I don't think it ended up being humorous.

Then again, I haven't read it in years so v:shobon:v maybe?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Anybody who thinks TTSoAC is funny is some kind of broken human being. Definitely a great LP and well worth a read, though.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Anybody who thinks TTSoAC is funny is some kind of broken human being.

I've never seen this before, but the first update is actually pretty hilarious in a meta way, so I guess I'm broken. Maybe it would be different if you weren't familiar with what AC was before reading it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

unfair posted:

I've never seen this before, but the first update is actually pretty hilarious in a meta way, so I guess I'm broken. Maybe it would be different if you weren't familiar with what AC was before reading it.

I'd genuinely like to hear your thoughts on it after reading the whole thing. It's a very different experience from just reading the one update.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Lance Streetman posted:

Anybody who thinks TTSoAC is funny is some kind of broken human being. Definitely a great LP and well worth a read, though.

v:v:v

Hey, different strokes and all that. I think it fit what he was looking for. :colbert:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Lance Streetman posted:

I thought it was funny! Not like loud out loud, but humorous. It definitely wasn't super serious.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Chewbot posted:

I thought it was funny! Not like loud out loud, but humorous. It definitely wasn't super serious.

You weren't contending Animal Crossing was actually a child-kidnapping cult? Where the gently caress is my gas button? is it too late? Heads are gonna fuckin' roll.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

There's always the SimCity 2000 and SimCity 3000 LPs, which are pretty much as quirky as the Animal Crossing one without being as terrifying (although the SC2K one has its moments. The SC3K one is fairly benign, though).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know, there was this whole discussion over narrative LPs the other day, as in, a player creating a narrative around the LP from the perspective of the player character beyond what the game presents. If you are looking for that sort of thing I don't think there is a better immediate example than TTSoAC. That or the "Freeman Of the Wastes" Fallout 3 LP I've posted about here in the past.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought Control Volume's Roller Coaster Tycoon lp where each park had a different theme and hilariously named attractions was pretty great. So was the Sims lp with Chester The Goon.

Both were abandoned though. :smith:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Lazyfire posted:

You know, there was this whole discussion over narrative LPs the other day, as in, a player creating a narrative around the LP from the perspective of the player character beyond what the game presents. If you are looking for that sort of thing I don't think there is a better immediate example than TTSoAC. That or the "Freeman Of the Wastes" Fallout 3 LP I've posted about here in the past.

I'm familiar with Chewbot's fantastic animal crossing LP, but you're right to recommend it. I've looked over a part or two of Bobbin Threadbare's fallout 3 LP, but I don't think I'd enjoy it very much just because I don't think the half-life 2 and whatever its sequels are called have very good stories. I don't like the characters, so there's nothing I'd get from the LP, unless I'm missing something. I never played the first one.

I think what we can all take away from this discussion is that there should be more good narrative LPs. Too bad they're so hard to do right.

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 29, 2013

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Lazyfire posted:

CapitanGarlic's Icewind Dale 2 playthrough and Dolash's NWN2: Storm of Zehir are both some of my favorite LPs because they do a fantastic job of taking player-generated characters and making really interesting and entertaining narratives around their development.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

gatz posted:

I think what we can all take away from this discussion is that there should be more good narrative LPs. Too bad they're so hard to do right.

You got archives? Cause I still have this one in my bookmarks. Dolash is pretty good at the whole writing thing.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Yep. Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone remember that LP of the SNES Clock Tower? I can't remember who did it and it's not in the LP archives. I remember it as being really good but I can't find anything except lovely youtube LPs. Help?

• Locked thread