Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sting had so much drat fun in this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
castle is back to ripping off movie plots apparently

but it totally redeemed itself with the swordfight

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

what if a loose cannon cop that really doesn't like black peole had a heart transplant from a black guy and then to top it off he's gonna get fired but his sergant managed to get him ONE LAST CHANCE if he'll agree to work with a black partner and it turns out that hey maybe black guys aren't so bad after all so lets go bust some crack dealers and pimps

except instead of black people it's robots and instead of crack dealers it's hypersmack snorting pimps selling sexbots on the hypernet powered by microsoft surface 13

e: although it could be pretty cool if the future is a gritty police/failed state and life is poo poo and every episode things get relentlessly more grim basically the wire meets looper meets modern detroit

dang man.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thats kind of already the plot to a movie except instead of a black partner he has to work with a black ghost that's haunting the heart

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

angry_keebler posted:

what if a loose cannon cop that really doesn't like black peole had a heart transplant from a black guy and then to top it off he's gonna get fired but his sergant managed to get him ONE LAST CHANCE if he'll agree to work with a black partner and it turns out that hey maybe black guys aren't so bad after all so lets go bust some crack dealers and pimps

except instead of black people it's robots and instead of crack dealers it's hypersmack snorting pimps selling sexbots on the hypernet powered by microsoft surface 13

e: although it could be pretty cool if the future is a gritty police/failed state and life is poo poo and every episode things get relentlessly more grim basically the wire meets looper meets modern detroit

uh dude this is robocop the tv series

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sham bam bamina! posted:

did they finally translate it or did you watch the anime

a 'reimagining' on HBO would fuckin' own. i'd even be cool with BSG-style genderswapping because holy lol is the original a sausage festival.

tho its a shame for that one admiral that charles bronson is dead

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
they should remake gunsmoke but younger and sexier and grittier and matt dillon is now an antihero oops its already in development over at fx

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

wtf is with anime being all like POW POW KERBLAM god drat sick nasty then having literally the worst dialogue and interpersonal development out of of any work of fiction

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

nigga crab pollock posted:

wtf is with anime being all like POW POW KERBLAM god drat sick nasty then having literally the worst dialogue and interpersonal development out of of any work of fiction

quote:

anime

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

angry_keebler posted:

instead of black people it's robots

in the future we'll run out of black people and hafta make black robots

wasn't that a philip k dick novel

salat brut
Mar 20, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wasn't that a philip k dick novel

no it wasn't PKD - i believe that was the 'sewer gas and electric' public works trilogy by matt ruff. it also featured famed monster-shark meisterbrau and the head of ayn rand in a jar iirc.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

salat brut posted:

no it wasn't PKD - i believe that was the 'sewer gas and electric' public works trilogy by matt ruff. it also featured famed monster-shark meisterbrau and the head of ayn rand in a jar iirc.

yep it was him

but ok you've sold me on that

salat brut
Mar 20, 2012
well i've not yet read "flow my tears..." so i guess i popped off a bit. guess i never expected there to be more than one book with that kind of thing going on in the background. that said, i waded into the ruff stuff but my interest waned. it reminded me a bit of robert anton wilson and the whole illuminatus! thing - big loud characters and zany situations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i watched alien vs predator last night

it was a good fun movie but otherwise it was easily about half as good as prometheus

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
man this just makes me wish that this kind of stuff was being made that isnt anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqeJ4kN7VDw&t=36s

mmmm more forced exposition thru dialogue and bad cgi mmmmmm gently caress i just wanna see cloaks and gunfights and helicopters and badass cyperpunk cops damnit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i watched alien vs predator last night

it was a good fun movie but otherwise it was easily about half as good as prometheus

no way. avp is way better than Prometheus. Prometheus was a gigant turd. avp was atleast entertaining

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
avp is total garbage and total garbage squared if you've played the games or read the comic and know what could have been

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

man this just makes me wish that this kind of stuff was being made that isnt anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqeJ4kN7VDw&t=36s

mmmm more forced exposition thru dialogue and bad cgi mmmmmm gently caress i just wanna see cloaks and gunfights and helicopters and badass cyperpunk cops damnit

I tried to watch this once when it was originally on adult swim but it had those robot things and it was awfully anime so I turned it off

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
avp had cool implications but it was a lot of 'oh wow so predator war' but at no point did i think 'whoever wins, we lose' especially the part where she gives the predator a gun and he's like 'oh cool we're friends now lets go take on the great evil'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
teh movie was pretty good and had a cool rear end plot but dang the show is just too anime

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

avp had cool implications but it was a lot of 'oh wow so predator war' but at no point did i think 'whoever wins, we lose' especially the part where she gives the predator a gun and he's like 'oh cool we're friends now lets go take on the great evil'

I thought "whoever wins is probably a bad rear end. lets go xeno on xeno action"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
what about the avp movie sequel, avp-r i think? was it any good?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

teh movie was pretty good and had a cool rear end plot but dang the show is just too anime

yeah also the art style is better than most animes.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yep it was him

but ok you've sold me on that

What part of flow my tears was about creating black robots I thought it was about a guy experiencing some lady's reality bending drug trip

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

no way. avp is way better than Prometheus. Prometheus was a gigant turd. avp was atleast entertaining

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Shaggar posted:

I thought "whoever wins is probably a bad rear end. lets go xeno on xeno action"

that is what it should have been. gently caress the entire ancient temple ritual poo poo just open with predators landing in a space station and have them mercing aliens for 2 hours i will watch it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

uh dude this is robocop the tv series

yeah

i'm sure the pitch was okay we've got karl urban on board and we're making roboocop meets lethal weapon and we can either make the buddy cop a sexy robot lady or a cool black robot snark machine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

yeah also the art style is better than most animes.

TATICAL PURPLE SWIMSUIT

i actually kinda like gots but it is really anime as hell with the cutsey deathbots and all-female androids all the time

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

anime is for children and children dont have fully developed social cognition

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there is so little really good visual hardcore cyberpunk that we have to take what we can get

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

anime is for the japanese and they dont have fully developed social cognition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

TATICAL PURPLE SWIMSUIT

i actually kinda like gots but it is really anime as hell with the cutsey deathbots and all-female androids all the time

thats the show tho. idr cutsey deathbots in the movie but I haven't watched it in forever

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Suspicious posted:

what about the avp movie sequel, avp-r i think? was it any good?

it was better than the first one which isn't saying a whole hell of a lot

predators was actually pretty good, predators get bored so they kidnap a bunch of murderers and other assorted bad motherfuckers and then make them hang out on predator planet with alien dogs and laurence fishburne

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the movie has only the one decidedly non-cutesy deathbot that doesn't talk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres totes gonna be some i,robotery in almost human where the bots are gonna be kind of evil for some reason (either cause they're becoming self aware or cause of evil-megacorp)

I hope its good oh man I really hope its good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

it was better than the first one which isn't saying a whole hell of a lot

predators was actually pretty good, predators get bored so they kidnap a bunch of murderers and other assorted bad motherfuckers and then make them hang out on predator planet with alien dogs and laurence fishburne

I wanted to watch those but they weren't on Netflix cause Netflix is loving worthless and apparently the AVP series is far to pricey to license.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

theres totes gonna be some i,robotery in almost human where the bots are gonna be kind of evil for some reason (either cause they're becoming self aware or cause of evil-megacorp)

I hope its good oh man I really hope its good
it wont be

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

thats the show tho. idr cutsey deathbots in the movie but I haven't watched it in forever

haveblue posted:

the movie has only the one decidedly non-cutesy deathbot that doesn't talk

the lesson is don't watch anime because anime panders to anime nerds

haveblue posted:

there is so little really good visual hardcore cyberpunk that we have to take what we can get

this is also true. johnny mnemonic 4 lyfe

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
akira is one of my fav movies and any time ive tried to make conversation w/ anime nerds in class or w/e its like 'never heard of it'

anime nerds are in an echo chamber of shamefully bad media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

an echo chamber of shamefully bad media

mods change thread title plz

• Locked thread