Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Minto Took posted:

How is the rat hockey at Johnny's? I've done Hockey 101 there, but I'm absolutely terrified that scrimmages in this city are full of former junior players.

Depends. For starters you have to get there two hours before start and there's usually a line/it's already sold out for any weekend slots which pretty much don't exist anymore anyway. Almost everything is lunch time mid week which are usually pretty fast and a bunch of old college guys, a few former juniors and occasionally an old pro. Most times its a pretty mixed bag of talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's what I was afraid of. I'm closest to McFetridge and I've been meaning to go over there to observe a few scrimmages. I can't consider league play of any sort because of my work schedule.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Minto Took posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I'm closest to McFetridge and I've been meaning to go over there to observe a few scrimmages. I can't consider league play of any sort because of my work schedule.

Going to a game faster than your skill level isn't always a bad thing. Playing with better players is a great way to get better, and you'll get a lot better chances just by virtue of having other players who can actually pass on your team.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Look Around You posted:

Going to a game faster than your skill level isn't always a bad thing. Playing with better players is a great way to get better, and you'll get a lot better chances just by virtue of having other players who can actually pass on your team.

Pretty much this. I played with a higher level team in a tournament once when they were desperate for bodies and took whoever they could get. You elevate your game in a hurry when you play at a higher level. Even if they're cool and don't flip you poo poo for being slower or not as strong on the puck, just playing with them will make you want to be better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I find that most higher level players are cool with people at a lower skill level as long as you try and are willing to learn. The game will be quick but you will learn more with better players than everyone in the same scrubby league.

And its just drop in. Anyone chirping you in pick up is just being a dick.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The drop-in I go to is cancelled this week because of a tournament so I'm subbing for a team tonight. At 11:30. The rink is half an hour away. And I have to be up at 6 to get ready for work.

Fuckin hockey, man. I have to get my fix.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get no ice until the 7th after tomorrow, big Nike/Bauer tournament takes over every rink in the region later this week.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Beer leaguers: How long will a typical pair of skates last you? Like until you start to see legit wear and tear (cracks, etc), not just till you feel like upgrading. For a point of comparison, the pair I might be replacing get used on average once or twice a week.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My skates lasted from high school until late 20s. So about 12 years. And I think the temp changes between Texas in the summer and going to the rink is what ended up doing in the plastic toe caps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My two year old pair of eastons are technically holding up well, but some stitching is starting to fall out, the blade holders have little bits of plastic peeling off, the rivets are showing rust, and the toe cap looks like I stuck it in a garbage disposal.

So I figure they're good for another 8 years!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bytebark posted:

Beer leaguers: How long will a typical pair of skates last you? Like until you start to see legit wear and tear (cracks, etc), not just till you feel like upgrading. For a point of comparison, the pair I might be replacing get used on average once or twice a week.

Few years maybe. I feel like newer skates are more comfortable than ever but they don't last nearly as long as what older skates used to. Once the materials start cracking and falling apart you're probably overdue. I noticed my vapors toe cap separating from the runner/sole after about three years of once to twice a week skating which led me to getting a new pair. I'm also only 155 lbs so I'm fairly easy on skates.

One guy on my team plays with duct tape to keep his toe cap on. I'm terrified of the day he tries to block a shot.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

loving never again man. I had never subbed for this team and though they were okay, only seven guys including myself showed up. We played this ridiculously good team that...well I'm surprised the score was only 8-2 at the end.

Ready to get up in four and a half hours!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hah we had the opposite. 13 guys and a goalie showed up. We won and played well but it kinda was shocking that somehow that time was more convenient than the others.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Hah we had the opposite. 13 guys and a goalie showed up. We won and played well but it kinda was shocking that somehow that time was more convenient than the others.

It seems like guys with kids prefer later games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah either before 7p or after 930? They love bringing the kids so early works for them too. I just gotta watch my mouth on the bench. There is something sweet about a kid correctly instructing a few of the lower level adults, bonus is it provides fodder to is when they don't listen!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I stopped trying to figure out attendance patterns years ago. Not for hockey specifically, but any activity that involves adults to collecting into a group and doing a thing. It's completely random and any time someone voices a theory I guarantee it'll be disproven in a couple months. Even for things that every single one of us does on a daily basis (such as eating food or driving to work) it's a crapshoot finding consistency.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I've run teams in a couple different leagues, usually with a wide age range, and the only thing I can say with consistency is that 9:30/10pm games usually bring the full roster. The 7pm ones get missed by guys who have more intense jobs, the 11/11:30 ones get missed by guys who work early or are coming from further away.

Still, I always run into roster size problems, I rarely hit the right number, because that number ends up being determined by the flakiness of the players. My teams always get drawn from a fairly big player pool, and sometimes I have to cap the roster size lower than normal because everyone who signs up first are the guys who are always there. We're starting a 4v4 league soon and I'm a little worried because I capped it at 13 instead of 12.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I've run teams in a couple different leagues, usually with a wide age range, and the only thing I can say with consistency is that 9:30/10pm games usually bring the full roster. The 7pm ones get missed by guys who have more intense jobs, the 11/11:30 ones get missed by guys who work early or are coming from further away.

Still, I always run into roster size problems, I rarely hit the right number, because that number ends up being determined by the flakiness of the players. My teams always get drawn from a fairly big player pool, and sometimes I have to cap the roster size lower than normal because everyone who signs up first are the guys who are always there. We're starting a 4v4 league soon and I'm a little worried because I capped it at 13 instead of 12.

I think that my ideal roster size for 5X5 is 13 skaters, which seems to the sweet spot where I have enough guys that I don't need to track down subs all the time, but not so many players that forwards are bitching about ice time. I did have to give in and add a 14th skater this season, because we only had three guys who were willing to play defense full time. That caused a lot of problems since the 4th spot was being handled by committee and then we had quite a few absences on D on top of that, so we really needed another full time D to stabilize things.

The other factor is that since we have fewer than 15 skaters on the roster, we were not allowed to use subs, so that made absences on D a lot tougher to deal with. I actually had guys that could sub on D, but I just wasn't allowed to use them because of that stupid restriction.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Why do so many guys hate playing D?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aniki posted:

Less opportunities for sick dangles and snipes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because you can't win no rocket richard trophy from the blue line!

I think defense is the most fun, it's a shame my skating is still too lovely to be any good at it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Aniki posted:

I personally dislike it because I a) feel personally responsible whenever the other team scores if I'm on the ice and b) because I'm constantly stressed out about making sure I can get back on the back check, I play more conservatively and don't get as much of a workout.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
As much as I'd love to be playing forward I kinda enjoy playing D. Especially on my current team, we have had a solid group of 3 or 4 actual defensemen and we are given the reins to jump into the play or make rushes if we have an opportunity. I love having the space and time to make decisions or plays from the back end, more of a chance to control the play.

Red circles are D from last season.

And to the responsibility thing, when you gently caress up on offense you just lose the puck, when you gently caress up on D the other team scores, once you get over the fact that you cant stop everything then it becomes more fun.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

a) feel personally responsible whenever the other team scores if I'm on the ice and

It's the goalie's fault, not yours.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nah its the forwards fault for not backchecking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Turn around, "shame on you" and skate away.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's looking like I'll be going between forward and D this year, since I told the team I was comfortable doing either and we do have some players (including a sub) who would rather play D. I was a forward last night for the first time this season and I was shocked at just how tired I was relative to the games I played defense in. By the end of the game I was literally gasping when I got off the ice. I think a lot of it is that I learned to play D when I was younger and I've played it so long that I'm very good at being effective while conserving energy, where I only started playing forward last year, so I just try to do everything and end up skating way harder (without necessarily being more effective)

I'm a hell of a shutdown D-man, though. Basically awful at getting offense from the blueline but I think I have 1 GA in 3 games on D so far

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Played in net for our Rookie-B championship game against a team full of cops that should've been in Rookie-A since that's meant for people who aren't brand new to hockey, which the cops team was full of.

In fact they have what's known as the worst ringer in the league a guy who will go Cpt. Tryhard in the first few minutes, get a few goals and then coast so long as the other team doesn't come close. He'll play D, and setup a lot of guys after dekeing through half the team. I don't have a problem with him setting up people because that's what ringers should do. I have a problem when it's a beginners league and he's nowhere near that level.

However that wasn't even the biggest issue after the game was over. He got 2 goals on me in the first few minutes thanks to a breakaway I got a piece of, as well as a slapper from the point through some traffic. So he's basically par for the course for him, and he proceeded to sit back, though he did get another one in the 2nd to put them up 3-0.

We scrap back and end up tying the game 3-3 with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd. It's at this point that their other players decide to do some serious gooning, with one guy decking one of our D from behind as they were exiting the zone behind the puck. Course since the refs were faced the other direction they didn't see anything even though my player was clearly the type to not suddenly fling himself forward on the ice.

Late in the 3rd one of their guys straight up checked one of our better players as he came across the zone. He made no attempt to play the puck or anything besides level the guy whom he has about 150lb or more on. Then as he's going to the box, instead of say being kicked out of the game, his brother comes up and high-5's him before he enters the box. The refs saw all of that happen and yet they don't also give the other brother a penalty.

We couldn't score in the remaining time before OT and then during OT their ringer simply skated through half the team and laid a perfect saucer pass to a teammate for the win.

I know it's beer league and losing happens, and I don't mind losing if we played bad. It's just annoying as hell to lose a championship thanks to a ringer and then have the other team goon is up so hardcore one of your players ends up with a fat lip and a potentially hosed up shoulder.

tl;dr I hate ringers and goons.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

real_scud posted:

Played in net for our Rookie-B championship game against a team full of cops that should've been in Rookie-A since that's meant for people who aren't brand new to hockey, which the cops team was full of.

gently caress me.

as the small guy trying to get into the game frankly, this scares the poo poo out of me. :smith:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

nthalp posted:

gently caress me.

as the small guy trying to get into the game frankly, this scares the poo poo out of me. :smith:
They're getting moved up to Rookie-A so it shouldn't be an issue for you next season, which btw the rookie skate is this Friday at 7:30 or something. I'd check the RDV Iceplex website

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

real_scud posted:

They're getting moved up to Rookie-A so it shouldn't be an issue for you next season, which btw the rookie skate is this Friday at 7:30 or something. I'd check the RDV Iceplex website

yeah.. my hockeymans muscles aren't exactly up to where I want them yet, and my stopping skills are mediocre at best, so yeah not to mention at my last lesson I managed to take a flying header off the boards and bruise almost every unpadded area of my body. Solution: more padding.

Anyhow, yeah thinking I'm just going to spend this season training.

Better that then loving myself up utterly against people who for sure are going to outweigh me by a lot.

but dammit. I just want to PLAAAAY.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

nthalp posted:

but dammit. I just want to PLAAAAY.
Then just play, the league is full of people just like you and you'll really only get better by going to games and playing. Sure you may be bad, but so will other people, but there'll be some guys out there who are better than you and they'll give you tips and you'll get a shitload better.

If you have all the gear I highly suggest you try out on Friday and start playing cause once you've played in a game or two you'll be kicking yourself for not signing up earlier.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

stick. and. puck.

That is the quickest way to get better at hockey. Go at least twice a week – and focus on not just taking sweet snipez from da pointz like a lot of people do - and you will get better fast. Game experience is good, but it's fast enough that you'll develop bad habits. Can't stop well to one side? You're not going to develop that skill in a game situation. Not great with your outside edges? Same deal.

Next best option? Public skate. Seriously. Don't worry so much about stickhandling, etc. You can practice that later. Hockey is skating.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 28, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

People who need to "take the season off to train": Aging/injured pros
People who do not: You

Play the good old hockey game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Game before ours was a forfeit last night. Yellow team has a diving penalty called against them (lol). Team is upset, a player gets an additional 2 minutes for mouthing off. Unsure if it was the same player, but kinda irrelevant. Puck is iced by power play team. Yellow goalie stops the puck but won't pass it to the official and leaves it behind the net. As the official skates back (he's fat) the yellow goalie says "Looks like you could use the extra skating". Goalie thrown out, entire yellow team leaves the ice. Forfeit.

Absolutely incredible. I felt bad for the other team who didn't get to play because of it.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I personally dislike it because I a) feel personally responsible whenever the other team scores if I'm on the ice

Teach me how to not feel responsible for almost every goal when I play center.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yellow goalie stops the puck but won't pass it to the official and leaves it behind the net. As the official skates back (he's fat) the yellow goalie says "Looks like you could use the extra skating". Goalie thrown out

The gently caress? That is one thin-skinned ref. I would have given him 2:00 for unsportsmanlike, but jesus…

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nthalp posted:

gently caress me.

I'm on a team that's half prison guards. I think the average height is probably 6'3".

I'm the shortest on the team at 5'9". Even shorter than the 2 Asian guys :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small dude don't be scared of playing the game. You're not going to die out there.

Dangerllama posted:

The gently caress? That is one thin-skinned ref. I would have given him 2:00 for unsportsmanlike, but jesus…

Yeah, I'm sure there's more to the story, but that's how it started (the diving call) and how it ended (fat joke). I hope we get a league email about it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As someone who's in a relationship with a goalie, its never a good idea to blame the goalie.

Also, I got checked once playing in a very advanced scrimmage by the token goon. Dude had a foot and 50 lbs on me. The solution to that problem was lowering my shoulder.

I never thought I'd get cheered from both benches for blowing up a dude in a no-check pickup game.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Minto Took posted:

As someone who's in a relationship with a goalie, its never a good idea to blame the goalie.

How often do you make 5 hole jokes?