Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I don't want it for the unlock, I want it for entering my iTunes password.

Ahaa, that makes sense. I was wondering why so many people seemed to care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm debating on the best iPad to get my mom. She is currently using my iPad 2 with just wifi, but she will really benefit from the cellular connection due to her poor home Internet connection, and it's only $10 a month for her to pool off my data plan. So I need an ATT 4G iPad (we get LTE where she lives), and she uses it to go online and play candy crush type games. Very basic uses, she used 300MB of wifi last month.

The iPad 3 is now refurbished from apple for $400, the 4 for $479. The mini is $359. I get a $100 credit from ATT either way, which is nice. Not huge price differences, but it's already a decent chunk of change, so I was curious what everyone's thoughts here are? I'm trying to balance price vs not getting something that will be too out of date.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get a 4. The 3 is pretty far outdated and the mini was outdated the day it was released.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Get a 4. The 3 is pretty far outdated and the mini was outdated the day it was released.

For his mom the mini is not out of date.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
If she is just cruising the net and playing games the mini might be the best one for her. She is not looking for power or speed just reliability.

I bought my mom a 2 more than a year ago and it fits her needs perfect. She has a couple of games, Facebook, and Pages on it. Works fine for her.

If she had to upgrade today I would recommend the mini over the regular iPad.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Can someone in the UK recommend where I might procure a [hopefully discounted] 3rd or 4th gen new (but possibly refurb) 16GB iPad? Trying to coordinate getting one for my gran from overseas.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Out of curiosity, do you guys find a 16 gig ipad is way too small? I have a 16 gig iPhone and have no problems because I keep very little media on my phone. I'm mainly going to be using it for reading PDFs. I'm still on the fence on ipad air vs retina mini, and when I think about it $730 on a 32 gig air with lte seems like a lot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

For his mom the mini is not out of date.

I'm sure your mom would love a mini :pervert:

But the new one is so much better looking in the screen department, and faster, why not?

But for an older, classy lady like his mom, I'd say the iPad 4 is the right choice, due mostly to larger screen (Easier on the eyes). Overall, the OG's mini screen was crappy for my middle aged peepers, it would just be cruel for an older person's eyes.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Did they do in-store reservations for the iPad 4? I want to just use the apple store app at midnight on Thursday and go in at noon on Friday and pick up a 32gb air.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, do you guys find a 16 gig ipad is way too small? I have a 16 gig iPhone and have no problems because I keep very little media on my phone. I'm mainly going to be using it for reading PDFs. I'm still on the fence on ipad air vs retina mini, and when I think about it $730 on a 32 gig air with lte seems like a lot.

Yes. For sure. I have a 16GB iPad Mini and a 32GB iPad 2 and.. although I thought "Oh why do I need to buy a 32? I'm going to stream every loving thing anyway!" I find it ended up severely restricting the amount of pictures I could carry on it. I love photography and showing people pictures I took on my iPhone is silly. Basically I can load up maybe 2-3 movies and I'm pretty much shot for space.

On the other hand, I never felt 32GB on my iPad was too much, and will be heavily considering getting the 64GB iPad Air as my upcoming purchase.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yes. For sure. I have a 16GB iPad Mini and a 32GB iPad 2 and.. although I thought "Oh why do I need to buy a 32? I'm going to stream every loving thing anyway!" I find it ended up severely restricting the amount of pictures I could carry on it. I love photography and showing people pictures I took on my iPhone is silly. Basically I can load up maybe 2-3 movies and I'm pretty much shot for space.

On the other hand, I never felt 32GB on my iPad was too much, and will be heavily considering getting the 64GB iPad Air as my upcoming purchase.

As much as I would like to get 16gb again, its so frustrating deleting things constantly whenever something new and cool comes out. Definitely going 32gb this time around.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Gaming is really the main thing that will take up space. If you're simply using it for media consumption then you should be fine with 16GB unless you go on 20 hour car rides and want enough HD movies to keep your kids occupied.

Trying to decide what game you want to delete (and likely lose all your progress in) just to try out the next new game can be slightly frustrating, especially if you've got a bit of a hoarders mentality.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you're a hoarder you'll never have enough space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Did they do in-store reservations for the iPad 4? I want to just use the apple store app at midnight on Thursday and go in at noon on Friday and pick up a 32gb air.
They didn't for the 5s until a few weeks out, I doubt they will for the new iPads.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

They didn't for the 5s until a few weeks out, I doubt they will for the new iPads.

That's what I thought too but the Apple Store seems to say otherwise.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

If you stay away from movies and lots of games 16GB is fine. I have a 16GB WiFi iPad4 and it works fine except for HD video. A HD video from iTunes will run you ~5GB which is going to be tight on 16. I normally sit around 3-4GB free with a bunch of PDFs already on my iPad. However, my next tablet will be 32GB. I hate having to worry about space.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
16 GB is more than enough for me, but I've got something of a reverse-hoarder mentality. If I don't use any app at least once per week it's going to be deleted. I don't carry my whole music library around "just to have it in case". I think that's ridiculous. I'll load up the playlists that I am currently feeling and that's it. The space is about 75% unused.

I have a 120 GB ssd on my main computer and I don't have any issues with space on that either. If I get bored with a game I would uninstall it anyways.

What I'm trying to say is that it depends on the type of person you are.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
It also depends on how long you want to keep your iPad for. iOS itself is getting larger with every update as well as the apps. There is also that drama with the iPad downloading a 1GB update unexpectedly, that even if it was downloaded by mistake can't be deleted.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A really good use for an iPad is to watch movies on planes, and is the one place where I feel you can use as much space as you have. 8 GB free doesn't go far with 2-3 GB movies . I guess you can reencode, because an iPad doesn't really need HD, but that's a pain too.

I haven't really messed with Netflix over inflight wifi though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has there been a solution for any external storage on the iPad? That'd really address a lot of these issues. That being said, any such storage would likely be as costly as the upgrade to the larger storage...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

TraderStav posted:

Has there been a solution for any external storage on the iPad? That'd really address a lot of these issues. That being said, any such storage would likely be as costly as the upgrade to the larger storage...

There are a bunch of companies that make Wi-Fi storage drives - I use a Kingston Wi-Drive. In my case you have to play every file through a proprietary Kingston app, but that's more than good enough for video as long as there aren't any separate subtitle files, and they're MP4 clips with AAC audio. VLC it ain't.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

smackfu posted:

I haven't really messed with Netflix over inflight wifi though.

It's usually blocked, but if you got it to work, every other passenger who paid for wifi would hate you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

There are a bunch of companies that make Wi-Fi storage drives - I use a Kingston Wi-Drive. In my case you have to play every file through a proprietary Kingston app, but that's more than good enough for video as long as there aren't any separate subtitle files, and they're MP4 clips with AAC audio. VLC it ain't.

The economics works in favor of the Wi-drive, although it can only really be used for media as others have pointed out having too many big games/apps will spoil a 16 gig iPad real fast. Quick look on Amazon has the 32gb Widrive at $50, 64 at $80, and 128 at $130. We don't use local media at all, and anything I have is in MKV but I suppose could easily enough be converted. This does make me think I could make do with a 16gb iPad since I don't load up on games but COULD see myself using a drive like this in the future. I also like the idea that I could load it up and different iPads/iPods (ie: my kids) could tap into them at different times so they wouldn't need big iDevices either.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
How unwieldy is 1lb on a device that will be used as a reader for long stretches? While the bigger screen on the Air is great for games, which I play a decent amount, I use my Mini to read in bed for at least an hour or more a day, and given the potential supply constraints on the Mini with Retina, I'd rather avoid running to stores all holiday season trying to find out when they get their next shipment of devices.

Are they any other tablets I could use as analogues for the weight/PPI?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

How unwieldy is 1lb on a device that will be used as a reader for long stretches? While the bigger screen on the Air is great for games, which I play a decent amount, I use my Mini to read in bed for at least an hour or more a day, and given the potential supply constraints on the Mini with Retina, I'd rather avoid running to stores all holiday season trying to find out when they get their next shipment of devices.

Are they any other tablets I could use as analogues for the weight/PPI?

I'm a major believer in the unitasker device when it comes to reading. I love my Kindle (non-tablet) and won't read on anything but that. Granted, if you're doing a lot of PDFs it doesn't always handle them well (unsure of how the newer models do at rendering) but you cannot beat the lack of a backlit LCD for the strain on your eyes.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

The economics works in favor of the Wi-drive, although it can only really be used for media as others have pointed out having too many big games/apps will spoil a 16 gig iPad real fast. Quick look on Amazon has the 32gb Widrive at $50, 64 at $80, and 128 at $130. We don't use local media at all, and anything I have is in MKV but I suppose could easily enough be converted. This does make me think I could make do with a 16gb iPad since I don't load up on games but COULD see myself using a drive like this in the future. I also like the idea that I could load it up and different iPads/iPods (ie: my kids) could tap into them at different times so they wouldn't need big iDevices either.

I'd check around to see what alternatives there are to the Wi-Drive, just for the sake of pricing/features, but it is a good option if you're willing to convert video. The only other tricky parts are remembering to charge the drive, and configuring it to let your devices keep Internet access - otherwise, all they can see are the contents of the Wi-Drive, since they're connecting to it as a hotspot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I'm a major believer in the unitasker device when it comes to reading. I love my Kindle (non-tablet) and won't read on anything but that. Granted, if you're doing a lot of PDFs it doesn't always handle them well (unsure of how the newer models do at rendering) but you cannot beat the lack of a backlit LCD for the strain on your eyes.

Oh thank you, I thought I was the only one. I absolutely love my iPad and read comics there, but I just can't read for too long in there, I use my kindle or just plain ol paper. There are dozens of us!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I read a lot of text books on my full size iPad but regular books would probably get tiring pretty quickly.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I specifically asked for a Kindle for Christmas last year because as much as I like my iPad 3, the weight, battery life, and screen do not make it conducive to reading. I'm upgrading to an Air this weekend - that should be a massive improvement in weight, but I imagine that I'll stick to my Kindle when reading for the other two factors.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Nihiliste posted:

I specifically asked for a Kindle for Christmas last year because as much as I like my iPad 3, the weight, battery life, and screen do not make it conducive to reading. I'm upgrading to an Air this weekend - that should be a massive improvement in weight, but I imagine that I'll stick to my Kindle when reading for the other two factors.

Well, the great thing about the Kindle ecosystem is that you can read on whatever device and your position is sync'ed as long as everything has network connectivity. I flip between my Kindle/iPhone/iPad a fair bit depending on where I am, what device I have with me and how long I'm going to be reading.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

fordan posted:

Well, the great thing about the Kindle ecosystem is that you can read on whatever device and your position is sync'ed as long as everything has network connectivity. I flip between my Kindle/iPhone/iPad a fair bit depending on where I am, what device I have with me and how long I'm going to be reading.

Oh, I know. But I only keep the Kindle app around for those rare moments when I want to read but all I have is the iPad.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Word is that Apple will be doing Personal Pickup for the Air starting on the 1st. Presumably there's a good chance that if I place an online order the moment that becomes available, I can pick up my iPad the same day?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nihiliste posted:

Word is that Apple will be doing Personal Pickup for the Air starting on the 1st. Presumably there's a good chance that if I place an online order the moment that becomes available, I can pick up my iPad the same day?

"iPad Air Supplies Expected to Be Plentiful at Launch With In-Store Pickup Available." -Macrumors

Everything is a speculation at this point.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nihiliste posted:

I'm hoping so. I'm going to be two hours from the nearest Apple Store on the 1st so it would be nice not to have to leave the hotel the night before.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

"iPad Air Supplies Expected to Be Plentiful at Launch With In-Store Pickup Available." -Macrumors

Everything is a speculation at this point.

I hope so, too. I'm not standing in line but I REALLY want one day one. :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Since the new Air doesn't seem to have any major manufacturing processes that weren't already solved with the OG Mini and previous iPad gens, I'd probably trust those rumors that it will be widely available, as compared to for instance the Gold 5S. I'm picking one up as soon as possible.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm gonna go balls out (I always seem to! ) and get the cellular 128.

Gonna feel gooood.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Feenix posted:

I'm gonna go balls out (I always seem to! ) and get the cellular 128.

Gonna feel gooood.

My plan as well. Just can't decide between Air now or Mini later.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

fordan posted:

My plan as well. Just can't decide between Air now or Mini later.

If you're going to go for the top of the line, a Mini would save a little cash and be more portable. The Air is more practical if you're at home and/or using it for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm trying to plan out what case I'm going to get for my iPad Air and the Kavaj range look pretty good.

Obviously people haven't had time with the Air yet to see if it's a good fit, but has anyone bought one of their cases for the iPad 3 or 4 and can offer an opinion on them?

There's 3 styles, not sure which I'd prefer - but they all have dumb names.
"Berlin" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leather-cover-Berlin-Apple/dp/B00G335A58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383056618&sr=8-2&keywords=ipad+air+kavaj
"London" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G335E9K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers
"Hamburg" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G335BJI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

edit: Hmm, or the Belkin Lapstand could be handy too when it's out in the UK - http://www.belkin.com/us/F7N065-Belkin/p/P-F7N065%3bjsessionid=C623FBBC994959087621557013497814/

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 29, 2013