Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

GenericOverusedName posted:

I feel as though I've scoured every inch of the underground jungle three times over and I still cannot find a Nature's Gift. I just want to autochug mana potions, that's all!

I'd been looking for some a long time as well, I eventually found some just stabbing/showering every goddamn flower and blade of grass I ran across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GenericOverusedName posted:

I feel as though I've scoured every inch of the underground jungle three times over and I still cannot find a Nature's Gift. I just want to autochug mana potions, that's all!
I have so many, I've just started Vendoring them. Still got like four in storage. You want one?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Are minion builds suitable for late game shenanigans, Halloween, Frost Legion and the like?

I'm usually well into having loads of little fellas doing my bidding, but I've not really hasd any luck getting relevant items, armor and the like.

If it's actually a viable route, I'd make the effort, but I hardly ever hear people mention such builds, so I'm concerned that it's maybe a bit of a gimmick.

-fake edit-
I just watched a video of a load of pygmies flying around, and boy are they cute and kind of deadly, as they owned pre-hardmode bosses, I just wonder how they'd fare against Golem or a fuckload of Pumpkings.

Hmmm, actually, how do they work?
Do you pop them and then switch out to another weapon (like with my frost turret thing) as they go about their business, or do you have to have the staff selected??

The way summon builds work is you summon a bunch of minions that follow you and stick around until you die. You can also click on the summon buff icon to de-summon them if you need to. You can use any other weapon with summons out, so there is absolutely no penalty to having a normal minion out at all times to help you even if you aren't geared to boost their damage/numbers. You can also have a Frost Hydra out with no consequences other than the initial mana cost, making all these spells useful additions for any build.

Unless I'm missing something, there are currently 3 summon-damage spells in the game: Frost Hydra (limit of 1, always), Pygmies (spear throwing dudes, can boost their numbers), and Ravens (contact-damage flyers, can boost their numbers). The hydra is an immobile turret, kind of like the rain clouds, that will track and shoot enemies with an extremely high-damage ice bolt but at a very slow firing rate. It will stick around for ~3 minutes before disintegrating. You can have a Hydra and pygmies out or a Hydra and ravens out at the same time. Unfortunately, you can't have pygmies and ravens out simultaneously. The ravens are better by far, but are an extremely rare drop from the bosses in the halloween event (I've done 12 events, with 5 going up to wave 13+, before I finally got the staff off of a Pumpking).

The fun thing about the summoner set is that it's easy to get. The full Pygmy set and 2 complimentary summon-boosting accessories can be bought from the witch doctor in a jungle house after you get the pygmy staff. And the pygmy staff itself is a common additional drop from Plantera.

Summon builds can deal ridiculous amounts of damage. In conjunction with the vampire knives and GS/ichor enchant, a summoner set can make short work of anything including the golem, but not the Halloween event. The biggest downside is that you are quite flimsy so the Vampire Knives are a necessity. The flimsiness is due to the fact that the armors used for summons aren't exactly high on defense and don't sport any other special ability that helps with survivability (specter armor's lifesteal for example). Summon-boosting accessories will also take up 2-3 slots, which leaves 1 slot for wings and then 1-2 slots for defensive items. Finally, monsters will not target summons, apart from the Hydra but that's only if you're dead already. You're pretty much the epitome of glass cannon as a summoner.

Flimsiness alone means you won't get very far into the Halloween event because the incoming damage is simply too high, even with vampire knives. The other problem is that your summons won't be of much use against the hordes of health that rapidly close in on you. Pygmies and the frost hydra don't have piercing attacks. Summons also tend to just focus on whatever's come near them first and stay on that target until it's either dead or you move far away enough for them to lose the target. The likeliest target will be some random horde monster in the halloween event, and far less likely to be the actual bosses you want to kill for items, which makes those summons almost completely useless for the event. The ravens do pierce through enemies but have the same dumb targeting behavior.

Edit: There's another minion summoning item called the Slime Staff that summons 11 damage contact slimes. It's an extremely rare drop off of slime head zombies though, and is pretty much the only pre-hardmode minion summoning item you can get. I think it's meant more as a lucky drop that helps characters that are just starting out, since it's not exactly amazing.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 28, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
^^ Thanks^^
Sounds like fun, I think I'll give it a spin and see how well I get on

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Office Thug posted:

Edit: There's another minion summoning item called the Slime Staff that summons 11 damage contact slimes. It's an extremely rare drop off of slime head zombies though, and is pretty much the only pre-hardmode minion summoning item you can get. I think it's meant more as a lucky drop that helps characters that are just starting out, since it's not exactly amazing.

Wait what? poo poo, I think I got one of those over the weekend and I think I threw it into a chest. drat or I sold it. That's what I get for not reading what it did and now I have to wait until I get home to check.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

robziel posted:

Wait what? poo poo, I think I got one of those over the weekend and I think I threw it into a chest. drat or I sold it. That's what I get for not reading what it did and now I have to wait until I get home to check.

Very useful in most situations pre-hardmode, except against bosses since it attacks so fast you can't get a more damaging attack yourself in and the baby slime damage itself is pretty weak.
Also it's a very rare drop from most slimes, alongside the slimed zombie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a spare one!

It'll need reforging, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you have a slime statue, you can also automate getting one (as well as much gel as you can possibly imagine). That's how I got mine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kyrosiris posted:

If you have a slime statue, you can also automate getting one (as well as much gel as you can possibly imagine). That's how I got mine.

I thought statue spawns were recently changed to never drop anything. If manually spawned slimes can still drop gel, it's time to build myself a motherfucking flamethrower.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Angry Diplomat posted:

I thought statue spawns were recently changed to never drop anything. If manually spawned slimes can still drop gel, it's time to build myself a motherfucking flamethrower.

I think that only applies to money? I know I definitely get gel and slime banners from my slime statue farm, and got a Slime Staff as well.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Statue creatures won't drop money but will drop the normal items. Except for the Chest statue; the mimics from it will only drop the mimic banner (rarely), not their usual drops.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I just want to make sure this is in line with everyone else's experience: I am trying to get an Unlucky Yarn and I've gotten probably about 100 goodie bags total so far, which means about 3-5 of almost every costume and tons of those useless rotten eggs, but no yarn. I know a couple people have gotten it already -- how long did it take you guys to get it?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I got a good eighth of a corruption out (on a Medium map) when the other person who plays on that world pointed out that we'd get better results if I used tedit to copy in a Crimson over it. So I did that. It was getting tedious anyway.

Making big holes is fun though, it was several screens full of *nothing* by the end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hummingbirds posted:

I just want to make sure this is in line with everyone else's experience: I am trying to get an Unlucky Yarn and I've gotten probably about 100 goodie bags total so far, which means about 3-5 of almost every costume and tons of those useless rotten eggs, but no yarn. I know a couple people have gotten it already -- how long did it take you guys to get it?

Looks like you've been unlucky with drop rates; I've found two of them so far in about half as many goodie bags.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hummingbirds posted:

I've gone through about as many and also do not have the kitty. :(

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I got a Golem Fist and was feeling pretty awesome until I got a Death Sickle. Holy moly is that thing easy/fun to use! It really benefits from the Ichor Debuff, and I like how long the projectile sticks around to cover my back.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Hummingbirds posted:

That's not in line with me. I got it very early on, maybe within the first 5 runs.
That's the RNG for you.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm loving this game so far, but someone needs to make a mod that turns cave spiders into smiley-faces or something. :gonk:

Also I have no idea how to break corruption blocks to get to that sweet demonite. Will bombs do the trick?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Job Creator posted:

Also I have no idea how to break corruption blocks to get to that sweet demonite. Will bombs do the trick?

They sure will. Combine them with gel to make Sticky Bombs so they don't roll about, though.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Are the Goodie Bag drops evenly distributed in probability? I've gotten so many Rotten Eggs and I don't know if it's luck or the distribution.

Kyrosiris posted:

They sure will. Combine them with gel to make Sticky Bombs so they don't roll about, though.

False. Nothing's more fun than diving into Corruption, throwing bombs everywhere, and then climbing back up in a panic before they all explode.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

False. Nothing's more fun than diving into Corruption, throwing bombs everywhere, and then climbing back up in a panic before they all explode.

What about doing it with dynamite?

Also holy cow, I made my first attempt at Pumpkin Moon with a few friends. The arena I built made short work of most of the trash, but due to my misreading a description of the event we originally worked under the incorrect belief that you didn't get anything at all from Pumpkings and Mourning Woods unless you were on the last wave, so we should let them live, which led to this great moment in face tanking:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Rotten Eggs are not useless. They let you take out your frustration on the obnoxious NPCs in your town. :colbert:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Meldonox posted:

Also holy cow, I made my first attempt at Pumpkin Moon with a few friends. The arena I built made short work of most of the trash, but due to my misreading a description of the event we originally worked under the incorrect belief that you didn't get anything at all from Pumpkings and Mourning Woods unless you were on the last wave, so we should let them live, which led to this great moment in face tanking:

I think my favorite part of the Halloween event is when it gets to this point and you have to run into a bunch of bouncing spike balls to pick up all the Candy Apples and stay alive an extra two seconds.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Due to the invulnerability inbetween hits, with Spectre armor wouldn't more bosses increase your survivability?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RatHat posted:

Due to the invulnerability inbetween hits, with Spectre armor wouldn't more bosses increase your survivability?

Sure doesn't for me, I basically just end up getting juggled due to how short the invulnerability window is. The healing fall-off for hitting more than one target with a shot is also really severe.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I've gone through about as many and also do not have the kitty. :(

:smith:

Thanks for the replies about that you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get one before Halloween is over.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
With specter armor nerfed, even with a cross necklace on it can be hard to heal enough to compensate for the damage you're taking, especially when Pumpkings can hit for 120+ damage. And if a teammate crosses nearby and needs some healing for themselves it's just going to cut into your own survivability.
Cross necklace + turtle armor + vampire knives is the only way to be truly safe and even then you gotta be sure you're constantly hitting something.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

RatHat posted:

It sure as hell does. Anything that hits multiple targets at once like the Inferno Fork. Get enough targets on you and the AoE will keep you topped off even with the Spectre nerf.

Edit: Well dang, look at these replies to the contrary. I dunno, maybe it helps that I have a Star Veil equipped and was buffed with ironskin/regen/pie. One way or another I was in no danger of dying until the pumpkings started drying up. Once I got the bat scepter and reforged it I was right back to pre-nerf levels of bullshit.

Now if only I could get a crimson key mold so I could try the turtle build and see how wacky that is.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 28, 2013

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Verviticus posted:

Killing Plantera essentially turns crimson/hallow spread to 0, right?

I don't know. It doesn't seem to as I've killed Plantera dozens of times and all the crimson I purified in the jungle is back to being crimson.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Hummingbirds posted:

:smith:

Thanks for the replies about that you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get one before Halloween is over.

Will it be that difficult to get when Halloween isn't running? A pumpkin farm shouldn't be too bad to make the amulets for the Pumpkin Moon.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

shymog posted:

Will it be that difficult to get when Halloween isn't running? A pumpkin farm shouldn't be too bad to make the amulets for the Pumpkin Moon.

The unlucky yarn comes from goodie bags which drop from any mobs, not just pumpkin moon ones, but only during Halloween.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hummingbirds posted:

The unlucky yarn comes from goodie bags which drop from any mobs, not just pumpkin moon ones, but only during Halloween.

Apparently you can change your local time and still get goodie bags.

I can't say so conclusively but I'm pretty certain that statue-spawned enemies (at least slimes and jellyfish) don't drop 'em, though.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Hummingbirds posted:

Well, poop. I was thinking Goodie Bags would drop year-round during the Pumpkin Moon and that the everything-else-dropping-it would stop. Goodie Bag drop rate feels a lot higher during a Pumpkin Moon -- killing things for 15 minutes in the Crimson with a Battle Potion netted me only one GB, yet the last Pumpkin Moon I played left me with six of them. It could just be confirmation bias, though, I don't know about the actual drop percentages and the RNG could have just shown me some love.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

shymog posted:

Well, poop. I was thinking Goodie Bags would drop year-round during the Pumpkin Moon and that the everything-else-dropping-it would stop. Goodie Bag drop rate feels a lot higher during a Pumpkin Moon -- killing things for 15 minutes in the Crimson with a Battle Potion netted me only one GB, yet the last Pumpkin Moon I played left me with six of them. It could just be confirmation bias, though, I don't know about the actual drop percentages and the RNG could have just shown me some love.

Probably the latter because my girlfriend and I did a Pumpkin Moon yesterday and didn't get a single bag the whole time.

(The wiki says it's 1:80 from any enemy during the halloween season.)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
The best pet is the baby tree because he'll just orbit you if you land right.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Maybe I've just never seen these before but since the Halloween update I've been stumbling on Dynamite Traps that are basically a one-shot death. Died twice so far in just the starting area underground.

I don't mind poison dart or boulder traps because they give you a second to react (pop a potion or run from the boulder). These Dynamite Traps are just cheap as all hell though.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Explosive traps have been around for quite a while. They're just really rare.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you have a wrench or wire cutters, flick to them every so often; you see the wire and thus can eyeball where the pressure plates that activate the stuff is. Snip the wire with your wire cutters and then it's totally safe.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

MR. J posted:

Explosive traps have been around for quite a while. They're just really rare.

Haha, figures with my luck that I'd hit 2 of them within an hour of each other on my new starting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Vib Rib posted:

With specter armor nerfed, even with a cross necklace on it can be hard to heal enough to compensate for the damage you're taking, especially when Pumpkings can hit for 120+ damage. And if a teammate crosses nearby and needs some healing for themselves it's just going to cut into your own survivability.
Cross necklace + turtle armor + vampire knives is the only way to be truly safe and even then you gotta be sure you're constantly hitting something.

Cross Necklace + Black Belt + Master Ninja Gear, along with wings and the paladin shield. With that setup I can easily turtle the pumpkings, and can actually use the paladin hammer for a while before switching to Vamp Knives for extra healing.

• Locked thread