Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Spoiler (albeit mild, I guess): Anomaly appears, chasing our heroes. Shinobu tells long story of when she encountered the anomaly many ages ago. Things happen.

Edit: Btw, this arc relies pretty heavily on stuff from Kizumonogatari, so it might be a bit weird for the anime-only viewers.

I am down for it though. Bring on the Shinobu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I found A Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqBM-Y4r9Q

I have no idea what's going to happen next in the 'gatari, but I'm confident that poo poo is going down.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I found A Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqBM-Y4r9Q

I have no idea what's going to happen next in the 'gatari, but I'm confident that poo poo is going down.

Before Otori I just wanted to see what happened to Araragi before the end of Neko White. Now that we're probably (I think?) going to see that next, I instead just want to see how the Nadeko arc resolves instead. This show man...

Also it probably goes without saying, but one should definitely avoid reading comments in this video.

Actually, one should probably avoid reading comments on any Monogatari video, regardless of content. Spoilers farther than the eye can see :v:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2013

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Wow, I really love the new OP for this arc. Not only as a cool inversion of Renai Circulation, but also because I like how it sounds. What's the ETA on some sort of single?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

HellCopter posted:

Wow, I really love the new OP for this arc. Not only as a cool inversion of Renai Circulation, but also because I like how it sounds. What's the ETA on some sort of single?
February 26, 2014 in Otorimonogatari BD/DVD volume 1 (Monogatari Second Season BD/DVD 5).

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
The Neko: Shiro Blu-Ray is out, and with it comes the full version of Chocolate Insomnia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXge23xevDQ

I think it's pretty good. Not my favorite opening of the season, but definitely a highlight.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Yo I'm back, I kinda like how a ton of the girls are perverts in this story, not just pure white angels. (this is coming from an idiot pervert girl so...)

The toothbrushing scene was gross as hell blahblah but I like the series itself enough to forgive anything at this point. Kami-nadeko is loving cool as heck tho, stoked to see the end of this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

Yo I'm back, I kinda like how a ton of the girls are perverts in this story, not just pure white angels. (this is coming from an idiot pervert girl so...)

The toothbrushing scene was gross as hell blahblah but I like the series itself enough to forgive anything at this point. Kami-nadeko is loving cool as heck tho, stoked to see the end of this.

The girls only ever get consistently creepy perverted in Nise-. They're much better characters in this season, and not too much more than normal perverted.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

ViggyNash posted:

The girls only ever get consistently creepy perverted in Nise-. They're much better characters in this season, and not too much more than normal perverted.

Yeh I don't mean like loving their brothers and poo poo I mean it's cool to have adolescent characters with a healthy interest in sex. Makes them more real feeling.

I prolly coulda worded that last post better but I was trapped in anime zone.

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, I think a lot of it is probably filtered through the lens of Araragi there being a great big pervert. Though with how he interacts with them, I think the most interesting one to me is Mayoi. Outside of the sexual harassment, she's kind of the only person he just talks to casually and have fun with, a kid brother figure(complete with friendly scuffles, weird inside jokes and talking about girls).

You just don't see him relaxed and shooting the breeze with the others, there's always some tension where either he's trying to keep being a pervert under wraps or else fending off aggression along the same lines. Though once Shinobu got chatty it helps a bit.

veekie fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 25, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I don't remember where I read this, I know it wasn't in the anime but I do recall Araragi saying he has the most fun when he's with Hachikuji. I can totally see it too, his conversations with her are probably the most outlandish, it's like with Kanbaru only Hachikuji isn't a huge pervert. Hachikuji is probably the one who best manages to keep up with him in terms of wit and jokes etc.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Out of all the haremettes, Hachikuji is probably the closest thing Araragi has to an actual friend. Which is why even though he creeps on her, overall their relationship is arguably the least sexual in nature. Kanbaru has shades of that, but their rapport is definitely more sexually charged. Though, I guess that could just be Araragi's unreliable narration at work either way. Hurry up with the next arc, dammit!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of whom, anyone know if we'll be seeing any of Kanbaru this season? She's been conspicuously absent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the rapport between Kanbaru and Araragi is sexually charged at all. I mean, they constantly talk to each other about sex, and basically nothing else, but there's really no implication that either of them might be interested in actually doing anything. If anything, they can talk about sex precisely because they're comfortable around each other. Or rather, they're constantly trying to one up each other in making the other uncomfortable, which never works so it just escalates. Honestly it reminds me of male friends joking around with each other, which I'm sure is the point (remember that Kanbaru identifies as a lesbian...)

Contrast, say, any conversation he has with Hanekawa, which is full of heavy sexual tension regardless of what they're talking about.

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of whom, anyone know if we'll be seeing any of Kanbaru this season? She's been conspicuously absent.

Not sure if she'll play a role in other arcs, but the Kanbaru-focused story was cut from this season at the last minute. That's why they're filling time with these recap episodes. Suruga Devil is going to air as a stand-alone miniseries a la Nekomonogatari White.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Clarste posted:

I don't think the rapport between Kanbaru and Araragi is sexually charged at all. I mean, they constantly talk to each other about sex, and basically nothing else, but there's really no implication that either of them might be interested in actually doing anything. If anything, they can talk about sex precisely because they're comfortable around each other. Or rather, they're constantly trying to one up each other in making the other uncomfortable, which never works so it just escalates. Honestly it reminds me of male friends joking around with each other, which I'm sure is the point (remember that Kanbaru identifies as a lesbian...)
There was that time Kanbaru made him do a Hachikuji...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Stop struggling! It makes it hard to take off your underpants!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh man, this show is always over so fast... or so I thought, until I realized there was still stuff after the ED.

Time to go hide in the bunker until people have stopped screaming about kissing.

Edit: Superduper excited to see if Sakamoto is singing the OP this arc.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 26, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

darkgray posted:

Edit: Superduper excited to see if Sakamoto is singing the OP this arc.

Sakamoto hasn't done a character song since Escaflowne, I think. Good luck with that one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

Sakamoto hasn't done a character song since Escaflowne, I think. Good luck with that one.

Didn't she do the opening for that Soredemo Machi show? I thought it was kind of a big deal, since it was a really silly show or something.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wark Say posted:

Didn't she do the opening for that Soredemo Machi show? I thought it was kind of a big deal, since it was a really silly show or something.

Yes, but that's not a "character song", she didn't even have any roles in that show.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Finally the abandoned school is entirely made out of desks. I guess they went all out since its the last time(?).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Once again, it's nice to have Araragi back in the narrator's chair, especially considering that no one gets hosed with quite so sublimely as Araragi.

I can't loving wait for the rest of this arc.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
That was pretty good. I agree that it's great to have Araragi back in the driver's seat. It's been a long while.

I really loved that the old school was just desks now. The transformation was finally completed. I loved the colors in the scenes in the school. The animation and style was really different, and made the episode really feel fresh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a pretty cool episode, but I agree the animation was rather different from what we've seen this season. Not really bad, just different.

Also, I really want a gif of Shinobu gobbling up donuts in the OP.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Oh man, the two best characters finally in the same room, and one of them is unconscious.

Also, lotsa Araragi-service in this episode. Maybe Shinbou is getting bored with girls?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
No wonder she couldn't sleep, Araragi's shadow kept getting stomped on.

Also,

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Thought this cosplay was a bit spiffy.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^

That is some spiffy cosplay.

About the latest episode, during that scene, what Araragi says in the end (and she replies) doesn't mean anything, really? I mean, somehow I wouldn't be surprised it meaning two separate things (Sounded like the same utterance except replacing some l's with r's) as it would make sense because Japanese is so context-specific.

Edit: Are there any good essays about Monogatari or its parts and the meta commentary within that doesn't trivialize the problematic nature the series has with the amount of fanservice it includes? I remember reading some that were blowing my mind. Something akin to fire sisters, Kaiki, and stuff all being a clear allusion to the industry as a whole. I really can't say I approve of the series, but stuff like this makes me think that the author is kinda... bright, at least? Regardless of the commentary within the series, I still feel it's the author's (perhaps targeted towards viewer "It's totally cool dude, there's so DEEP STUFF IN HERE!") justification for having problematic content.

God damnit, it feels whenever I'm discussing this series I need to use poo poo-load of disclaimers. I feel it's kind of brilliant and utterly questionable at the same time.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 27, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious, how much of the fanservice is SHAFT and how much is from the source material, if any?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dessel posted:

About the latest episode, during that scene, what Araragi says in the end (and she replies) doesn't mean anything, really? I mean, somehow I wouldn't be surprised it meaning two separate things (Sounded like the same utterance except replacing some l's with r's) as it would make sense because Japanese is so context-specific.

You're not exactly clear on what you're referring to here. There are three "she" in the episode, and plenty of "that scene" candidates. I'm going to assume you meant the Naninuneno -> Rarirurero exchange.

Some background. The Japanese "alphabet" consists of 46 syllables, ordered by their "vowel" sound, in the pattern a i u e o. Thus the N-row is na ni nu ne no, and the R-row is ra ri ru re ro.

Because Araragi is completely flabbergasted, he tries to say something along the lines of "What the hell are you doing?" where "What" is of course "Nani" in Japanese. So complete is his shock, however, that it comes out garbled, in the form of "Na, nani nu ne no?!" Ononoki takes advantage of this to make a joke by responding with "ra ri ru re ro". Why the R-row specifically? I don't really know, but apparently it has some significance in the Metal Gear Solid game series, so perhaps Nishio just wanted to make a funny reference.

ViggyNash posted:

I'm curious, how much of the fanservice is SHAFT and how much is from the source material, if any?

If anything, Shaft has been skipping fanservice scenes in the novels, so...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

VOFAN (the guy in charge of the light novel illustrations) is nowhere near as fanservice-laden when doing his job. Most of his illustrations are somewhat cheesecake, but overall they're rather tame. Nisio, on the other hand, is an unrepentant pervo when describing Araragi's perfectly adolescent trains of thought. The other type of fanservice (the relentless pop culture references) can get irksome at points, but they're usually a non-issue.

Speaking of the novels, Owarimonogatari was recently released and-- oh jeez, it's still going? Why do I keep buying them? :ughh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dessel posted:

God damnit, it feels whenever I'm discussing this series I need to use poo poo-load of disclaimers. I feel it's kind of brilliant and utterly questionable at the same time.

It's Nisio Isin, this is practically his MO.

You have to note that at any given time he is either trolling the reader, pandering to the reader with his perversion, and more often than not both.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Based on my fairly small experience, NisiOisin is a lot like reading Andrew Hussie, except that I don't have sufficient cultural knowledge or context to tell whether or not I'm being trolled. (Although in both cases you can be pretty certain it's happening somewhere.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Did you just compare the Monogatari series... to Homestuck? :confused:

e:VV I guess I can see what you mean with the baiting, though in Hussey's case it might be for his own sake because dear god are Homestuck fans insane.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 28, 2013

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Did you just compare the Monogatari series... to Homestuck? :confused:

I think they both delight in a certain kind of baiting the audience, yes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The real question is what the counterpart to Vriskatime should be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

The real question is what the counterpart to Vriskatime should be.

Pretty sure that's what Nadeko's been trying to do.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

First volume sales are out, hitting 39k sold in the first week. Comparing this to Bake's first hitting 83k, Nise's 65k and Neko Kuro's 56k, it's been losing steam pretty badly. Might pick up another few thousand over the coming weeks, but I guess people are getting tired of the series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

First volume sales are out, hitting 39k sold in the first week. Comparing this to Bake's first hitting 83k, Nise's 65k and Neko Kuro's 56k, it's been losing steam pretty badly. Might pick up another few thousand over the coming weeks, but I guess people are getting tired of the series.

Isn't 39K on sale numbers still remarkably good? I mean, most series don't ever go beyond the 4 digits, and here you have a series basically going into 5 digits like it was nothing.

I do agree that the *Monogatari train has been on the eyes of the public for well over 4 years now, but still: Basically the only things that outsell this show in a (semi)consistent basis are... like, Rebuild of Evangelion or the Studio Ghibli films?

On the other hand, probably people are getting a little sick of Nisio Isin himself. Hell, didn't the Medaka Box anime basically bombed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Isn't 39K on sale numbers still remarkably good? I mean, most series don't ever go beyond the 4 digits, and here you have a series basically going into 5 digits like it was nothing.

I do agree that the *Monogatari train has been on the eyes of the public for well over 4 years now, but still: Basically the only things that outsell this show in a (semi)consistent basis are... like, Rebuild of Evangelion or the Studio Ghibli films?

On the other hand, probably people are getting a little sick of Nisio Isin himself. Hell, didn't the Medaka Box anime basically bombed?

39k is amazing for a regular show, but when it's half of previous season's sales, it's not all that impressive anymore.

This list gets bandied around as the average sales (over all volumes) top list:
#01 111,559 Evangelion
#02 *78,671 Bakemonogatari
#03 *71,056 Madoka Magica
#04 *68,732 Gundam Seed Destiny
#05 *60,580 Nisemonogatari
#06 *58,589 Gundam Seed
#07 *53,421 Gundam
#08 *52,133 Fate/Zero
#09 *46,147 Macross Frontier
#10 *45,804 Fate/Zero II
#11 *45,367 Code Geass
#12 *43,883 K-On
#13 *42,690 Code Geass R2
#14 *42,525 Suzumiya Haruhi
#15 *39,385 K-On s2

Dropping from #2 highest sales ever to below #15, sort of thing. Attack on Titan is pushing over 40k on average as well.

Medaka Box sold less than 1000 copies per volume, I think, so it was a bit of a flop.

• Locked thread